Sign in to follow this  
325th_Bugsy

Please tell me how to place a campfire..

Guys I'm trying to wrap my head around this ME stuff and I went into my mission to an allied airfield. I want to place a burning fire at each end of the runway for pilots to see the field. I went into the effects and placed the fires around the field but I don't see them in the mission. Is there more to do when placing objects at an airfield...Please if you don't mind explaining it to me in layman's terms I would be grateful really...I want to learn this ME stuff.

See "Mark a Runway with Bonfires" on pg. 56 of the editor manual.

• Like 1

I had it set to private by accident. Please try again -> 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Sketch that explains a ton and I need to do this for each fire correct?

You can have a single effect substainer group for all of your fires. The effect substainer is the logic for how your fires turning off or turning on the fires tied to it. If you want your fires to turn off or turn on differently, then you'll need an effect sbustainer for each type logic you want to perform.

EDIT:

example:

SOME LOGIC -> EFFECT SUBSTAINER (to turn on or turn off an effect) -> THE EFFECT

So you can do things like:

- When a friend player nears an airfield -> turn on -> fires

- When an enemy player nears an airfield -> turn on -> alarm

- When an enemy player nears an airfield -> turn off -> fires (if they're on)

- When an enemy player leaves an airfield -> turn off -> alarm

- When paratroopers have landed at a certain location -> turn on -> smoke (and with a different set of logic -> turn on machine gun fire)

- When enemy subs dive from the surface -> turn on -> alarm

Also remember, if you have 3 fires in the game, then really you need 6 of them, and as Alonzo stated, after you've moved them to your desired spot, press the "place object on ground" button to make sure they're on the ground and not floating or something weird like that.

Edited by [TWB]Sketch
  • Like 1

OK Thanks so much man I appreciate it, Ill let ya know how it goes!

The effect sustainer is not showing up in the left side after I select it and double click like in your video..

Edited by 325th_Bugsy
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

You can have a single effect substainer group for all of your fires. The effect substainer is the logic for how your fires turning off or turning on the fires tied to it. If you want your fires to turn off or turn on differently, then you'll need an effect sbustainer for each type logic you want to perform.

Actually Sketch, (unless something has changed) you only need the effect sustainer for the city_fire, city_firesmall, and villagesmoke effects. The landfire effect is self-sustaining.

• Like 1

Good to know thanks. I got it working guys and I cant thank you all enough!

Now I just need to learn how to place a static airplane...The video are perfect you guys should do a series of them based on pilots needs....it's one thing to read it but when you see someone actually doing it its a whole lot better, but again thanks to all.

Edited by 325th_Bugsy

28 minutes ago, 325th_Bugsy said:

Now I just need to learn how to place a static airplane...The video are perfect you guys should do a series of them based on pilots needs....it's one thing to read it but when you see someone actually doing it its a whole lot better, but again thanks to all.

Sketch has a few other ME videos here.

There are some other video resources here, from Prangster, Vapour, and Vander (re. the RoF editor).

• Upvote 1

Be forewarned, #1 you can't see their position in the editor when you look at the terrain map, and #2, the *@!@12**! things like to teleport themselves in the air. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 325th_Bugsy said:

Hopefully this helps you out. You should also watch @[Pb]Vapor's videos too.

Here's the group I made in the video...

airfeild objective.zip

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Be me:

"It's fairly easy..."

5 second later:

"So it's pretty complicated, and it's going to take some time to talk about..."

Edited by [TWB]Sketch
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JimTM said:

Actually Sketch, (unless something has changed) you only need the effect sustainer for the city_fire, city_firesmall, and villagesmoke effects. The landfire effect is self-sustaining.

How do you extinguish or stop the fire that is in city_fire? 

The smoke of this effect can be stopped but the fire part stays. If you put the city_fire effect even if you do not start it you have the fire. The start and stop seems to work only for the smoke side. Do you have the same problem. 

18 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

How do you extinguish or stop the fire that is in city_fire? 

The smoke of this effect can be stopped but the fire part stays. If you put the city_fire effect even if you do not start it you have the fire. The start and stop seems to work only for the smoke side. Do you have the same problem. 

The effect sustainer has logic to stop the fire part of city_fire at mission start and stop the smoke and fire when you trigger the In Stop timer at any time. See the description of the effect sustainer on pg. 290 of the editor manual. 

8 hours ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

Hopefully this helps you out. You should also watch @[Pb]Vapor's videos too.

Here's the group I made in the video...

airfeild objective.zip

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Be me:

"It's fairly easy..."

5 second later:

"So it's pretty complicated, and it's going to take some time to talk about..."

Sketch I cant thank ya enough buddy love the vids they are priceless and explain a ton. Salute Sir.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JimTM said:

The effect sustainer has logic to stop the fire part of city_fire at mission start and stop the smoke and fire when you trigger the In Stop timer at any time. See the description of the effect sustainer on pg. 290 of the editor manual. 

I was building my own switch, as it is the best way to master the little details, and this one skipped me. I did think about the Trigger Activate and Deactivate but in the manual p 275 it was mentioned that it acted on entities that had the Enable / Disable feature (a checkbox in the advanced properties). And when I checked the Effects they did not have it so i did not try.

I should have tried. Now all works fine.  Thanks for the help JimTM, and many thanks to all the team that participated to build this manual, that is a tremendous work.  

Now a little weird situation with these Effects objects fires and smokes. The smokes that are emitted when objects are destroyed are affected by wind strength and direction. The Smoke plume of the effects objects are not affected by the wind strength and direction that is set in the game. The direction is fixed. If you have set the ground wind in a given direction say 154 degrees, then change the value of the AY orientation parameter in the properties of the city_fire or villagesmoke effects to 154. The smoke plume is by default at 0. If you do not do that you will end up in a weird situation that you can see in the following picture.

2019_2_7__19_40_24.jpg

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Thanks 1

The smoke needs to be turned to align with where you want it facing regardless of your wind settings IME.

If I’m wrong about this then someone please clarify - because this is what I’ve always experienced.

I'm under the same understanding as @Gambit21. You turn the smoke in the Mission Editor to the direction of the wind. It should solve your issue (and another reason why I make a "paint bucket" of various MCUs).

2 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

Now a little weird situation with these Effects objects fires and smokes. The smokes that are emitted when objects are destroyed are affected by wind strength and direction. The Smoke plume of the effects objects are not affected by the wind strength and direction that is set in the game. The direction is fixed. If you have set the ground wind in a given direction say 154 degrees, then change the value of the AY orientation parameter in the properties of the city_fire or villagesmoke effects to 154. The smoke plume is by default at 0. If you do not do that you will end up in a weird situation that you can see in the following picture.

This post covers the direction of smoke effects.