NETSCAPE

What is your creative outlet?

Mine is music. I used to play in metal bands when I was younger. Due to health issues now I just make music a few months out of the year on the ol' midi controller and computey box. 

Mixing an Orchestra is hard but I'm getting there... https://soundcloud.com/jared_johnston/cultivate-imperium-ep-1

Whether you are a 3d artist, painter or stone mason, or whatever - post your creative works of art here!

PS - all of you talented IL-2 video producers, feel free to use any of my music in your cuts - just link to me/source track :)

Edited by NETSCAPE
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Art is my thing though I've lost alot of my skill unfortunately due to not using it for a few years. I'm also trying to learn 3d Modeling and was working on a P-47 Razorback for a while.

Unfortuantley I don't have anything to show but I'm gonna try to get back into my art and relearn everything I've lost.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Upvote 1

I work in the arts, so it is nice to take a break from creativity and originality sometimes.  I used to enjoy flight sims back in the day.  But after they collectively lost the plot and became less entertaining, I find that I enjoy scale modelling more and more now.  The need to thoroughly research and reproduce a subject is very absorbing and makes for a nice break from my working life.  It also gives you a nice little object to keep afterwards.

Tz5M838.jpg

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Legioneod said:

I don't have anything to show but I'm gonna try to get back into my art and relearn everything I've lost.

Edited 1 hour ago by Legioneod

I was accepted for art (college?) mostly due to watercolor painting but went out on world wide sailor. Amazing how fast one loose skills. It is true you need to draw a line every day. 

1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

But after they collectively lost the plot and became less entertaining, I

Believed that was only me. I nearly manage to keep interest by using 3 different sims on few hours

im a reality artist

i transform reality interpretation with my mind till it pleases me

i paint also

edit:

since i have my life mostly modestly economically solved thanks to my folks inheritance i work for free, i make works of art and give them away to unknown people

here my last concept a graphic novel so small girls or anhedonic adults put make up on stars and on this way inititate painting, never seen it before :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yXgROhXwV2iIGmOGPbG_IIxn0OvG6kKl/view

Edited by raaaid

I draw from time to time, but not as much as I want to.

At the moment I paint miniatures. I’ve jumped head first into the golden age of board games, and a lot of those games come with some quite paintable figures. 

Right now I’m doing the miniatures for the Spartacus board game.

72CFB3F7-D656-4438-B665-47D6454B624F.thumb.jpeg.06ab1b3a7cbac5de6fd244054ca28f91.jpeg44C1201E-8183-4763-8F64-E3E9DE1E37BE.thumb.jpeg.e6894c58b4969dab1a0afa7d7d618a49.jpegC452D11A-1B30-4016-A927-ECF1571B7DC4.thumb.jpeg.d34a699079030632293e6132685d9475.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Art.

Besides oilpainting and drawing I frequently visit musea or reading/browsing through the artbooks I have. A quick and rough estimation tells me that my collection of artbooks is 9 meters already.

A quick photo of some unfinished pencil drawings.

Drawings..jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

im considering getting a cheap 3d printer to do the same than finkeren but i rather make fully from scratch my design

there are only two pieces of art i did i would never get rid off , a painted clay donald duck and a pinochio painting:

i did this inspired by the models thread in the ubizoo, my first piece ever :)

Imagen0044.jpg

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Legioneod said:

I'm also trying to learn 3d Modeling

Yeah my day job has been slowly but surely dying out and I am thinking 3d modeling combined with unity or UE4 work is the path I should go.... I actually used to model waaay back in the day with the ol 3dRhino program so all the basic concepts and terms are still in my head... somewhere...

4 hours ago, Guccigang_Zesphr said:

Art as well, although im only really good at birds for some reason 

Reveal hidden contents

WuL43WM.jpg

I'm glad my grandparents noticed my natural interest in art at a young age. They put me into private painting classes as a young lad, but quickly the teacher realized my obsession with detail showed I wasn't a painter persay, and I remember disliking "the broad strokes" and use of color that seemed illogical to my little kid brain.

Later I was taught under another guy doing colored pencil work that mainly dealt with animals. I excelled at that but still in my off time I was drawing mechanical stuff, tanks, guns, ships ect. That was all at a young age. Later when I hit my teens I set down the pens and pencils and picked up guitar and that set me on the music path...

My job entails using Photoshop for 99% of my working day, so it wasn't that much of stretch to get into colourising ol' black 'n' white photos, mostly of warbirds and golden age Hollywood actresses. Haven't done it for some months now (apart from some WWI centenary related photos for a magazine). From my Facebook page:

18920724_1683130871992701_13421868107024

15196033_1608856929420096_39810685821047

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

That's cool pencil! I used to admin a large, popular WW2 FB page that posted photos and bits on history I'd write. I got ban after ban for merely posting photos of soldiers. Apparently humanizing "the enemy" was considered "wrong speech" so... whatever. Left social media a long time ago anyways. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Poochnboo said:

Another I dd that is more along the lines of what might interest people here. 

haha yeah much more down my alley. Got any uboats?

As a matter of fact I started on a U boat surfacing near an Allied convoy. I never finished it.

Edited by Poochnboo

1 hour ago, Poochnboo said:

Blitzen is James Dietz!? I've been admiring his paintings for years.

The same.... for my sins

Hunters by Night.jpg

• Like 2

In my case for the last 3-4 years it has been making RoF and then BoX films.  Composition of shots, editing effects, musical choreography, cut screen visual jokes: there can be a great deal to do once you get beyond the "here is me shooting down planes" stage.  If a few people like them it is very gratifying. 

Unfortunately it is also surprisingly stressful and exhausting, so I doubt I will make any more.

2 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

In my case for the last 3-4 years it has been making RoF and then BoX films.  Composition of shots, editing effects, musical choreography, cut screen visual jokes: there can be a great deal to do once you get beyond the "here is me shooting down planes" stage.  If a few people like them it is very gratifying. 

Unfortunately it is also surprisingly stressful and exhausting, so I doubt I will make any more.

Indeed. God only knows the amount of hours I spent working on that 15 minute EP I posted... the Cubase file has about 50 tracks... a tad more than a rock band lol. 

I'm a professional illustrator by trade - graduated art school and all that.

I don't make my living at it these days and just do the odd design or illustration job when they happen organically, and might not even charge.

My works was always heavily based in drawing, including the human form, however in recent years I added 3D modeling, texturing and rendering to my tool belt. I created a museum quality isometric render of a P-51 for the Museum of Flight which I've posted here before.

(6k texture maps) Modeling, uv mapping and texturing took me a year.

Other than that I don't generally post my stuff online.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HBPencil said:

My job entails using Photoshop for 99% of my working day, so it wasn't that much of stretch to get into colourising ol' black 'n' white photos, mostly of warbirds and golden age Hollywood actresses. Haven't done it for some months now (apart from some WWI centenary related photos for a magazine). From my Facebook page:

15196033_1608856929420096_39810685821047

One of my favorite WWII era P-38 photos. It looks amazing colorized. Can you post a link to any others you've done?

I think of myself as quite an old time movie buff but I'm not certain who the actress is? Do you know her name? She was quite beautiful.

image.png.551cb676099e8b8bb3765136a2bf47ea.png

i used to hang around in science forums and there there were nearly no artists, here on the other hand were i think i fit its full of them

curious, maybe playing games helps keep the inner kid alive and creativity as well

edit:

im quite proud of this work and its amazing how the music syncs:

edit:

inspired by this thread i made this today, i guess im on my second issue of graphics novels to put make up on :)

1546197406810.jpg

and here the make up version:

b.jpg

Edited by raaaid
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, unreasonable said:

Can we find them somewhere? Would love to take a peek at your work!

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rjel said:

One of my favorite WWII era P-38 photos. It looks amazing colorized. Can you post a link to any others you've done?

I think of myself as quite an old time movie buff but I'm not certain who the actress is? Do you know her name? She was quite beautiful.

Cheers, most of my work can be found on a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/color.praeterita/?eid=ARCGTWhYVmirsARpSH5eCY6tXzc1hCz015-u8Rq-v9SIQerjDAHJSittXs2pxO6zsmjRV4Dyz_JyBdZn

But if you aren't on facebook a few of my earliest pieces are here (no Hollywood shots though): http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?13591

As Uufflakke pointed out she's Tala Birell.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Blitzen said:

I have only made two full IL-2 films, the one Netscape linked and my James Bond movie "Firebird: To Russia with Love".  If you enjoy the comedy-action treatment (not everyone does ;) ) you might also like "Semper Fly" from the RoF selection. 

They are all available on my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV26YfS3-SXI6EqvqTKI09w

Edited by unreasonable

Thx HBPencil. Some great looking pictures on your FB page. 

There's a lot of talent in this community. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HBPencil said:

Cheers, most of my work can be found on a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/color.praeterita/?eid=ARCGTWhYVmirsARpSH5eCY6tXzc1hCz015-u8Rq-v9SIQerjDAHJSittXs2pxO6zsmjRV4Dyz_JyBdZn

But if you aren't on facebook a few of my earliest pieces are here (no Hollywood shots though): http://www.axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?13591

Some interesting pieces of work you show on your FB page. I will have a closer look later on today.

Actually I assumed you were a draughtsman because of your nickname HB Pencil. ;) 

• Thanks 1

im considering getting a touch screen, i wonder if that would improve my amauterish work since so far ive been using a cheap old mobil phone for my digital paintings

but maybe not and would be a waste of money cause ive seen people do wonders painting with a mobil phone in youtube

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, HBPencil said:

My job entails using Photoshop for 99% of my working day, so it wasn't that much of stretch to get into colourising ol' black 'n' white photos, mostly of warbirds and golden age Hollywood actresses.

That is amazing work, truly.  Do you ever do requests?

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2018 at 9:00 PM, Uufflakke said:

Some interesting pieces of work you show on your FB page. I will have a closer look later on today.

Actually I assumed you were a draughtsman because of your nickname HB Pencil. ;) 

Funnily enough it's a nickname I was sometimes called when I was a child, HB being my initials 😃.

19 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

That is amazing work, truly.  Do you ever do requests?

Thanks! I do sometimes, although very rarely.

Posted (edited)
On 12/29/2018 at 3:52 AM, LuseKofte said:

I was accepted for art (college?) mostly due to watercolor painting but went out on world wide sailor. Amazing how fast one loose skills. It is true you need to draw a line every day. 

I love watercolor, one of my favorite art mediums.

Couldn't agree more about needing to draw/paint every day, I kick myself for not practicing throughout the years. I'm trying to get back into it but it's extremely frustrating since now I can barely draw a stick figure. Though to be fair I haven't drawn in about 10 years so that's my excuse when I draw horrible faces.

Edited by Legioneod

@Legioneod when I attempt to draw I immediately understand what I do wrong. Like you do not remember the routine and tecnique but only what not to do once you do it. I remember now what made me decide not to go further. It was my ability to find a good motive. 

I see it now going behind my wife witch got a wonderful eye for motive. But neglect knowledge of how to put proper setting and light when we go on photo travel. I now walk behind her and do that bit☺️

On 1/1/2019 at 3:08 AM, Legioneod said:

I love watercolor, one of my favorite art mediums.

Couldn't agree more about needing to draw/paint every day, I kick myself for not practicing throughout the years. I'm trying to get back into it but it's extremely frustrating since now I can barely draw a stick figure. Though to be fair I haven't drawn in about 10 years so that's my excuse when I draw horrible faces.

If forced I can produce a drawing pretty much up to standard even after taking years off...but I have to work at it.

Whereas when I'm "in shape" it just flows. Endless hours over the years of drawing from live (clothed and nude) models did that for me.

Still...if I had been drawing every day who knows what I'd be able to do right now.

...oh and I didn't mention, my creative outlet right now is among other things mission/campaign building.

Building a mission is much like painting an illustration, and scratches the same creative itch in a lot of ways.

Lay in the rough framework, refine, add detail at a finer and finer level, and like a painting it never is truly finished, just abandoned at some point.

• Like 1