Han

Developer Diary 210 - Discussion

On 11/12/2018 at 2:12 AM, LeLv76_Erkki said:

Soo Pfalz III and Camel also arriving in two weeks.

From what I've understood is that the Dr I is slightly better turning and/or more maneuverable than the Camel, while slightly slower. Spad is the fastest of the four, but where does the Pfalz land? Will it have any advantages over either the Spad or the Camel?

It will turn and roll much better than a SPAD.  It ill be a little faster and dive much better than a camel.  It is really a tweener.  Against a SPAD you fly the Pfalz like a Camel ... against a Camel you fly the Pfalz like a SPAD :) 

On 11/12/2018 at 8:45 PM, CMBailey said:

Was there considerable variation in individual airplanes of the same nominal model?

With the Pfalz the variations from new to war weary could be extreme.  The plywood fuselage warped.  There is a tale of one war weary Pfalz that had a significant weight put in it to restore CoG.  

With the Camel it's all about the engine.  The Clerget sucked.  The Le Rhone, although nominally rated as 20 HP less, was actually much better.  The Bentley was best of all but those all went to RNAS squadrons.

9 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

It will turn and roll much better than a SPAD.  It ill be a little faster and dive much better than a camel.  It is really a tweener.  Against a SPAD you fly the Pfalz like a Camel ... against a Camel you fly the Pfalz like a SPAD :) 

Aaaaaaannnd Pfalz drivers will likely run into a SPADs and Camels together in the same horde constantly😃  (Seriously, that’s always been the downside of “jack of all trades, master of none” planes in MMO combat flight games, at least ones that throw every plane type onto the same arena. Namely, the dedicated BNZ  planes force you to turn and the dedicated TNB planes eat you alive.)

2 hours ago, CMBailey said:

Aaaaaaannnd Pfalz drivers will likely run into a SPADs and Camels together in the same horde constantly😃  (Seriously, that’s always been the downside of “jack of all trades, master of none” planes in MMO combat flight games, at least ones that throw every plane type onto the same arena. Namely, the dedicated BNZ  planes force you to turn and the dedicated TNB planes eat you alive.)

Yeah, nobody ever accused the Pfalz of being great at much of anything other than looking good, but it's not awful either.  If there are a horde of other planes then hopefully there are also a horde of Pfalz.  It's a tough plane and a good gun platform, so teamwork should play in its favor as it is less persnickety than the Camel (which takes persnickety to a new level)  or the SPAD.  Not saying it will rule the skies but it will hold its own if flown well.  Remember, if that Camel is trailing a Pfalz to get a shot then it is only turning as fast as the other Pfalz :) 

"Another important change in the upcoming update is the adjusted logic used for scoring a kill. Previously, an aircraft was considered destroyed and a kill was awarded for it if it was damaged enough to prevent it from continuing the mission (for example, heavy damage of the controls, no fuel left, engine damage). Now, the 'aircraft lost' and 'kill awarded' events will be separated and their logic will be adjusted. An aircraft will be considered lost if its fuselage or wing at the base is broken, its pilot is killed or ejected. The victory, on the other hand, will be awarded if the scored hits were followed by the mission exit or disconnect in multiplayer, 'aircraft lost' event or the landing far from an allied airfield. Thus we motivate multiplayer players to try to reach a friendly airfield even if their aircraft is heavily damaged - even a hard landing there (as long as you don't break a wing at its base or fuselage) won't count your aircraft as lost and your enemy won't get the kill."

WTF??

So, if I kill enemy pilot i will not have the kill count ? :o:

15 minutes ago, 3./JG15_HansPhilipp said:

WTF??

So, if I kill enemy pilot i will not have the kill count ? :o:

You did not read the next three words following the text that you had marked with bold?

• Upvote 1

Now i got it.

Sorry, english isn't my primary language.

3 minutes ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

You did not read the next three words following the text that you had marked with bold?

To sum it up, if it was unclear for some people:

"An aircraft will be considered lost if ... its pilot is killed ...

"The victory ... will be awarded if the scored hits were followed by ... 'aircraft lost' event ..."

So, if a pilot is killed, aircraft will be considered lost. If an aircraft will be considered lost, victory will be awarded. => If a pilot is killed, victory will be awarded.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2018 at 12:32 AM, Johnny-Red said:

Please consider this observational rather than critical:

Many hand-painted roundels appear as in the picture above, showing colour bands described with concentric brush strokes.

Because of the low opacity of the paint I would expect to see the a deeper and more opaque line wherever paint was built up towards an edge:

This is especially prominent in the outer edge of the outer colour band between 3 and 7 o'clock and there also appears to be evidence of a drip beginning to form in the now-cured paint at the very lowest point.

What I believe my co-posters are referencing is a sharp-edged effect which is not consistent with applying a greasy paint or emulsion to doped linen.

For those unfamiliar with doped linen, the surface finish is very very smooth indeed and once treated does not have an obvious textile grain. To all intents and purposes it holds a shine just like sealed wood or sheet metal.

This is the type of edge texturing you'd expect if the RAF pilot had hand painted the roundel directly onto his knitted jumper.

1) I own a piece of fabric from the wing of an original SE5a. The  roundel's edge is sharp.

2) I played RoF for thousands of hours, and I'm familiar with the way it looks. It had the exact same pixelated roundel edges.

3) RoF at least got the PC10 and the roundel colors right (see the above comparison shots). FC seems to be a step back in these regards.

• Like 1

My comment was (admittedly rather vaguely) addressed to the poster who described the frayed edge as looking hand painted. Perhaps I should have made that clearer.

I don't doubt you know your subject matter - I have PM'ed you before to congratulate you on your work.

I included your picture as an excellent example of a real hand painted roundel.

On 11/12/2018 at 12:14 AM, NoMoreSteam said:

It is about MP balance, like it or not.

Funny to see players who earlier laughed at Luftwhiners, now became Jugwhiners 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NoMoreSteam said:

Funny to see players who earlier laughed at Luftwhiners, now became Jugwhiners 🤣

Well there are actually some things legitimately wrong with the Jug, we don't complain for no reason.