dburne

Samsung Odyssey +

my extremely SUBJECTIVE Odyssey+ review:

- I have a VivePro with GearVR lense mod. Decided to give the Odyssey+ a try.

- picked it up at a microsoft store near where I live.

- Going with Odyssey+ I really wanted to like it. I really wanted to be wowed, and if not wowed then at least get an on par experience with my VivePro(gvr).

- Ergonomics are strange. With the non-powered headset on my head it seems the light leakage will be from everywhere. However, once running it didn't leak in from anywhere except from the bottom. The bottom gap is the largest out of all headsets I've tried. Technically, the gap is useful if you need to use the keyboard often, i.e. for Il2, however for non flight sim games it's an immersion breaker I suppose.

- MS WMR ecosystem proved to be a biatch. If you modified your Win10 by removing Defender, adding registry settings to remove telemetry and blow up a bunch of bloatware apps - the WMR simply won't start. I had to re-install the 1809 update twice to get the stupid thing to work. <--- this alone is a shit show, so if you're not drinking a Microcoft coolaid sprinkled with their UWP app and 'user experience/system monitoring' garbage the WMR is a deal breaker to me. MS really needs to separate WMR from the store/UWP via a stand-alone installer or more or less tech cognizant people would ignore VR in WMR. It's that intrusive. But I digress.

- Optics are Fresnel. Sweet spot is .. well.. it's there.. somewhere. I wonder if you can replace them with GearVR lenses. It'll be a world of difference. I bet 100% on Red here.

- The display brightness is 15-20% lower than VivePro. Or at least it seemed like it. And that makes the blurry picture even blurrier. Frankly, my eyes aren't what they used to be, but again, keep in mind I'm comparing it against VivePro. Because of the dimmed display the whole experience is like flying in some gray fog. And because of it the "lack of SDE" effect is very hard to judge. The instrument panel does look smoother than in vivepro, or anything pretty much that's up close is smooth. But the distance is just mud.

- I had to crank it up to around 180% SS in SteamVR to get a similar resolution that I'm running in Vivepro, or ~2000x2000 per eye, which is 100% for vivepro. (It goes with trapper's comments that he's running it at such high SS, I can see why, since I had to do it as well). I don't quite understand why it's such a dramatic difference, however I suspect SteamVR overestimates the performance for HTC headsets. Performance seemed OK in Berloga, but I wasn't after performance, I just wanted to experience the promised bliss. The dimmed display paired with the fresnel lense mess and a strange approach to the ergonomics made it look like I'm watching a 'stereo' movie in a dirty 3D cinema. It didn't feel like I was inside the cockpit, I was pretty disconnected from the plane.

- Tracking is worse than vivepro. I wasn't expecting miracles. It works..then it doesn't. then it works again. I guess the lighting in the room can be adjusted, whatever. Let's leave it at that.

- Headphones. If you think VivePro headphones are bad then Odyssey+'s phones are five times worse. Again, immersion killer. Can't easily remove them, need to cut the wires. But it's a $300 unit so who cares.

I'm surprised with Samsung's approach to VR here. Their GearVR headset is ten times better for ergonomics and screen brightness (yes, phone based). I guess, in the ever lasting pursuit of appeasing 100% of the masses the VR methods are turning to a basic 3D cinema experience. Sigh.

I wanted to tweak this unit, hopefully get it to a somewhat running condition with GearVR lenses, may be increase brightness somehow, etc. But WRM eco system is a showstopper to me, I can't stand what MS is doing on their OS and I'm not going to support the bastardization of user experience by playing their game.

Resume:  if you have VivePro then stick with it. This HMD doesn't come close. Not by a mile. Or if you want good VR experience than VivePro is x20 better. Yes, it's pricey. But you get what you pay for. Really.

Edited by moosya

2 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

...I literally just mentioned in this thread...

What thread? Single thread?

... my apologies, it had to come out. Don't hit me, english is my third language. :dance:

Seriously though, when you guys say it's smooth because good fps, what does it mean really?

Here what I observe on my rig in a QMB mission, fps never goes below 45 but

- Free flight: 45 fps ASW on: smooth

- Free flight: 45 fps ASW off: smooth but blurry

- Dogfight: 45 fps ASW on: micro stutters

- Dogfight: 45 fps ASW off: micro stutters and blurry 

My humble conclusion:

AI => micro stutters

ASW off => blur

I'm on a Ryzen 1700@3.8ghz. I ordered a 8600k, a MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon and a Kraken X62 cooler. I hope I'll be able to get it to 5ghz and it will change the experience. Otherwise, I will just have thrown 600 euros out of the window as I was quite happy with every other game already.

Just ordered one, and the new ship date is now the week of Dec 16.

I'm kind of glad for this though, so I can further research if I really want this thing or not. It was too good of a deal to pass up, and I finally have a PC that can run VR with 8700k CPU, RTX 2080, and 32GB of 3600MHz RAM. It's CL18 RAM, but that should work right?

I haven't OCed my CPU yet. Might be time to finally use my delid kit.

Edited by Warpig

I am regularly down to 45 FPS with ASW on my rift in multiplayer. However, with the prop turned off using the Luftense mod, its quite tolerable for me and I'm able to be quite competitive in multiplayer. There are those of us that are fine with 45 FPS and those of us who are not... doesn't make anybody wrong....

Edited by SCG_Wulfe
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

I am regularly down to 45 FPS with ASW on my rift in multiplayer but with the prop turned off using the Luftense mod, its quite tolerable for me and I'm able to be quite competitive in multiplayer. There are those of us that are fine with 45 FPS and those of us who are not... doesn't make anybody wrong....

That's the key. Hard to say why the difference, but I do not doubt anyone that says they can only get a smooth experience if maintaining 90 fps or anyone that say they get smooth experience down to 45 fps. The main thing is if it is smooth and pleasurable to them, that is all that counts.

I personally fly with ASW off, and as long as I maintain 45 fps+ I get a smooth and very pleasurable experience for me. And at the end of the day that is all that matters.

No need to ever call anyone out for expressing their experiences and results they get.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dburne said:

That's the key. Hard to say why the difference, but I do not doubt anyone that says they can only get a smooth experience if maintaining 90 fps or anyone that say they get smooth experience down to 45 fps. The main thing is if it is smooth and pleasurable to them, that is all that counts.

I personally fly with ASW off, and as long as I maintain 45 fps+ I get a smooth and very pleasurable experience for me. And at the end of the day that is all that matters.

No need to ever call anyone out for expressing their experiences and results they get.

That's like saying 30 fps is smooth on a monitor when you haven't experienced 60 fps or 144 fps on a high refresh monitor. You don't know what your talking about.

Playing this game at 45 fps with ASW on will give you multiple visual artifacts including ghosting of planes and terrain, also the prop artifacts that make the weapon sight useless. Nobodies saying you can't play the game at 45 fps, but it's not a great experience when you are trying to fend off foes in multiplayer. Trying to track planes in the sky in a 16 plane dogfight as they literally streak like a shooting star across the sky isn't smooth. These things aren't really subjective, they are just plain as day facts. To get the proper experience you need a high frame rate, if you've never ran your rift at 90 fps in this game then don't tell me 45 fps with ASW on is smooth. If you can somehow by gods good graces enjoy the game at a measly 45 fps with all the visual artifacts that come along with it then more power to you. But don't mislead new users into thinking they are going to get an oculus home like visual experience in this game with the settings cranked it's disingenuous.

I've done this argument thousands of times in the course of my computer hobby career, back in the day it was the 30 fps crowd telling me they couldn't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps and now it's the same thing going on with the HMD's. It's been beaten to death.

6 hours ago, moosya said:

- picked it up at a microsoft store near where I live.

- Going with Odyssey+ I really wanted to like it. I really wanted to be wowed, and if not wowed then at least get an on par experience with my VivePro(gvr).

- Ergonomics are strange. With the non-powered headset on my head it seems the light leakage will be from everywhere. However, once running it didn't leak in from anywhere except from the bottom. The bottom gap is the largest out of all headsets I've tried. Technically, the gap is useful if you need to use the keyboard often, i.e. for Il2, however for non flight sim games it's an immersion breaker I suppose.

- MS WMR ecosystem proved to be a biatch. If you modified your Win10 by removing Defender, adding registry settings to remove telemetry and blow up a bunch of bloatware apps - the WMR simply won't start. I had to re-install the 1809 update twice to get the stupid thing to work. <--- this alone is a shit show, so if you're not drinking a Microcoft coolaid sprinkled with their UWP app and 'user experience/system monitoring' garbage the WMR is a deal breaker to me. MS really needs to separate WMR from the store/UWP via a stand-alone installer or more or less tech cognizant people would ignore VR in WMR. It's that intrusive. But I digress.

- Optics are Fresnel. Sweet spot is .. well.. it's there.. somewhere. I wonder if you can replace them with GearVR lenses. It'll be a world of difference. I bet 100% on Red here.

- The display brightness is 15-20% lower than VivePro. Or at least it seemed like it. And that makes the blurry picture even blurrier. Frankly, my eyes aren't what they used to be, but again, keep in mind I'm comparing it against VivePro. Because of the dimmed display the whole experience is like flying in some gray fog. And because of it the "lack of SDE" effect is very hard to judge. The instrument panel does look smoother than in vivepro, or anything pretty much that's up close is smooth. But the distance is just mud.

- I had to crank it up to around 180% SS in SteamVR to get a similar resolution that I'm running in Vivepro, or ~2000x2000 per eye, which is 100% for vivepro. (It goes with trapper's comments that he's running it at such high SS, I can see why, since I had to do it as well). I don't quite understand why it's such a dramatic difference, however I suspect SteamVR overestimates the performance for HTC headsets. Performance seemed OK in Berloga, but I wasn't after performance, I just wanted to experience the promised bliss. The dimmed display paired with the fresnel lense mess and a strange approach to the ergonomics made it look like I'm watching a 'stereo' movie in a dirty 3D cinema. It didn't feel like I was inside the cockpit, I was pretty disconnected from the plane.

- Tracking is worse than vivepro. I wasn't expecting miracles. It works..then it doesn't. then it works again. I guess the lighting in the room can be adjusted, whatever. Let's leave it at that.

- Headphones. If you think VivePro headphones are bad then Odyssey+'s phones are five times worse. Again, immersion killer. Can't easily remove them, need to cut the wires. But it's a $300 unit so who cares.

I'm surprised with Samsung's approach to VR here. Their GearVR headset is ten times better for ergonomics and screen brightness (yes, phone based). I guess, in the ever lasting pursuit of appeasing 100% of the masses the VR methods are turning to a basic 3D cinema experience. Sigh.

I wanted to tweak this unit, hopefully get it to a somewhat running condition with GearVR lenses, may be increase brightness somehow, etc. But WRM eco system is a showstopper to me, I can't stand what MS is doing on their OS and I'm not going to support the bastardization of user experience by playing their game.

Resume:  if you have VivePro then stick with it. This HMD doesn't come close. Not by a mile. Or if you want good VR experience than VivePro is x20 better. Yes, it's pricey. But you get what you pay for. Really.

That's super disappointing.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

7 hours ago, moosya said:

I had to crank it up to around 180% SS in SteamVR to get a similar resolution that I'm running in Vivepro, or ~2000x2000 per eye, which is 100% for vivepro. (It goes with trapper's comments that he's running it at such high SS, I can see why, since I had to do it as well). I don't quite understand why it's such a dramatic difference,

Thanks for your review.

Every device use a different internal supersampling.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/36160-supersampling-ratios-rift-vs-vivepro-vs-odyssey/

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 15th_JonRedcorn said:

That's like saying 30 fps is smooth on a monitor when you haven't experienced 60 fps or 144 fps on a high refresh monitor. You don't know what your talking about.

Playing this game at 45 fps with ASW on will give you multiple visual artifacts including ghosting of planes and terrain, also the prop artifacts that make the weapon sight useless. Nobodies saying you can't play the game at 45 fps, but it's not a great experience when you are trying to fend off foes in multiplayer. Trying to track planes in the sky in a 16 plane dogfight as they literally streak like a shooting star across the sky isn't smooth. These things aren't really subjective, they are just plain as day facts. To get the proper experience you need a high frame rate, if you've never ran your rift at 90 fps in this game then don't tell me 45 fps with ASW on is smooth. If you can somehow by gods good graces enjoy the game at a measly 45 fps with all the visual artifacts that come along with it then more power to you. But don't mislead new users into thinking they are going to get an oculus home like visual experience in this game with the settings cranked it's disingenuous.

I've done this argument thousands of times in the course of my computer hobby career, back in the day it was the 30 fps crowd telling me they couldn't see the difference between 30 and 60 fps and now it's the same thing going on with the HMD's. It's been beaten to death.

That's super disappointing.

Frankly I don't give a rat's tail what you think.

I put many hours in this every week and know what I am experiencing. You do not.

And where did I say I was getting a great experience at 45 fps with ASW on?

Did you even read the post you are so vehemently arguing against?

Forget it, not worth it.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Frankly I don't give a rat's tail what you think.

I put many hours in this every week and know what I am experiencing. You do not.

And where did I say I was getting a great experience at 45 fps with ASW on?

Did you even read the post you are so vehemently arguing against?

Forget it, not worth it.

I didn't make that post in direct relation to anything you said just happened to quote you.  I never said you did. I was just talking about most of the people in here claiming they are playing the game maxed out with there settings on insane levels claiming the games smooth. Not you directly. Calm down.

On 11/19/2018 at 9:46 AM, moosya said:

-

Moosya,

Couple of questions,

Most of my friends still have Rift's.  Would you recommend the Odyssey+ over that?  $299 is very tempting.

Also, I have a VivePro with gearVR mod.  My biggest complaint is the 10% scale of the cockpit being off.  Does the Odyssey+ render true 1:1 or does it also suffer from the resolution differential (slightly undersized)?

On 11/19/2018 at 5:52 PM, dburne said:

Just out of curiosity to get more information and hoping I don't come across as trying to tell you what your experience should be - do you see the difference when it's pegged at 90 and when it's somewhere between 90 and 45?

1 hour ago, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

Just out of curiosity to get more information and hoping I don't come across as trying to tell you what your experience should be - do you see the difference when it's pegged at 90 and when it's somewhere between 90 and 45?

Occasionally I might see a little difference, but for most part not really. If things get hot and heavy with a lot of AI around might see a little stutter here or there - not very often though.

Usually if fps stays at or above 45 fps it is smooth - if drops below 45 it will stutter.

Edited by dburne

8 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

Moosya,

Couple of questions,

Most of my friends still have Rift's.  Would you recommend the Odyssey+ over that?  $299 is very tempting.

Also, I have a VivePro with gearVR mod.  My biggest complaint is the 10% scale of the cockpit being off.  Does the Odyssey+ render true 1:1 or does it also suffer from the resolution differential (slightly undersized)?

When I had my Vive Pro , I had exactly the same complaint, was 10% off scale, things looked a bit too small.

3D Migoto mod fixed that, but added a weird effect when flying above clouds.

Interested to see if the Odyssey+ has true 1:1 scale.

5 hours ago, -[HRAF]Black_Sab said:

It's worth being precise about what's going on:

• The Rift display always runs at 90 FPS, and the Rift runtime will give *something* to the display at 90 FPS.
  • If the game drops below 90 FPS, by default the Rift runtime will lock the game to 45 FPS instead. It will show real frames interleaved with synthetic frames.
  • If you have ASW on, the synthetic frames will use both head movement and in-game object estimated movement to create synthetic frames.
  • If you have ASW off, the synthetic frames will use only head movement to create synthetic frames. This is called ATW and is the fallback. You can't disable it.

So when people are saying "switch ASW off" they actually aren't disabling all the synthetic frames. The Rift is still using ATW, it's just not using estimated in-game object movement (ASW) any more. For a flight sim where stuff is buzzing around, some people think this is better.

For Euro guys the Odyssey plus is still in stock at https://test.bigapplebuddy.com/product/Miscellaneous/253/Samsung-HMD-Odyssey-Black-Friday-Deal-Conditions-Apply-/

Use the VoodooDE or MRTV code for €10,- discount. 

Also it seems Neweg is also shipping this to Europe, also I notice this could be the old NON-plus. 

Some short review from Sebastion from MRTV.co https://mrtv.co/2018/11/mrtv-preliminary-samsung-odyssey-review-best-current-gen-headset-on-the-market/

https://youtu.be/KVBDj6mBO-Q

And a clip from VoodooDE, 

https://youtu.be/nWQxErI7zxQ

Edited by Dutch2
inserting video

15 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

Moosya,

Couple of questions,

over Rift? Definitely not. I had Rift before I had VivePro. Ergonomically speaking Rift takes 1st place in the VR race. VivePro is 2nd. Odyssey+ is a bastard child. 😄

Scale in Odyssey+ is the same as in VivePro, no difference.

8 hours ago, moosya said:

over Rift? Definitely not. I had Rift before I had VivePro. Ergonomically speaking Rift takes 1st place in the VR race. VivePro is 2nd. Odyssey+ is a bastard child. 😄

I have the Rift and I got to try the Odyssey+ today. The unit was off unfortunately, so I just tried it on to see if it fits. I was quite disappointed by the fact that the visor basically just hangs down from the head strap and there is no way to fix it closer or further away from your face. I am wondering how would this impact the clarity of the image since I know from the Rift that you have to keep it in a certain position in order to have the best image.

I also tried it with my glasses on and it seems that the Odyssey+ lenses would just rest on my glasses which would be squished against my face. The unit lenses would definitely touch my glasses lenses and given the fact that the visor is not fixed I am not sure how long would take until one of them or both would be scratched. As a side note, the lady from the shop told me that the way to use it with glasses would be to take your glasses off, put them against the Odyssey+ lenses and then put them both on which I think is nuts.

10 hours ago, mga said:

the visor basically just hangs down from the head strap and there is no way to fix it closer or further away from your face.

yup, and coupled with a 15-20% dimmer display the image looks very dark disconnecting you from the experience. The fresnel lenses make it impossible to get the display closer to the face, everything just turns in to a complete blur. I think if you swap them out for gearVR lenses then you'll get a much better result but I haven't seen anyone has done it so it'll require some reverse engineering. Honestly, whatever Odyssey+ brings 'new' is completely outweighted by the poor hmd design in other places. Stick with the Rift I say.

23 minutes ago, moosya said:

yup, and coupled with a 15-20% dimmer display the image looks very dark disconnecting you from the experience. The fresnel lenses make it impossible to get the display closer to the face, everything just turns in to a complete blur. I think if you swap them out for gearVR lenses then you'll get a much better result but I haven't seen anyone has done it so it'll require some reverse engineering. Honestly, whatever Odyssey+ brings 'new' is completely outweighted by the poor hmd design in other places. Stick with the Rift I say.

Thanks for the feedback, will stick with the Rift.

I didnt like the Vive Pro compared to the Rift, felt heavier and bulky, if the sweetspot was decent I would have keep it though.

I ordered the Pimax 5+ , looks big and clumsy, hope fits good and the better image and FOV makes it worth it.

1 hour ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Thanks for the feedback, will stick with the Rift.

I didnt like the Vive Pro compared to the Rift, felt heavier and bulky, if the sweetspot was decent I would have keep it though.

I ordered the Pimax 5+ , looks big and clumsy, hope fits good and the better image and FOV makes it worth it.

yeah, vivepro was weird at first and fresnels made the sweet spot so tiny that i was contemplating the return of the hmd. But as soon as I got the gearvr mod done it won me back over ten times. GearVR lenses is a must for the vivepro, there's simply no other way about it.

I've asked( actually begged ) for the new Samsung HMD now on sale & on sale for a reasonable price to replace my Oculus Rift.I can't wait to get better resolution but it is my understanding it has about the same fov as the rift-is this correct? With the rift there is virtually no way to check one's six.One needs to only go back to use trackIR to see what a difference that makes.I hope to get it anyway but do also hope that down the road there will be a fix.I understand Pimax 5K does have a bigger fov but at a higher price!?

37 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I've asked( actually begged ) for the new Samsung HMD now on sale & on sale for a reasonable price to replace my Oculus Rift.I can't wait to get better resolution but it is my understanding it has about the same fov as the rift-is this correct? With the rift there is virtually no way to check one's six.One needs to only go back to use trackIR to see what a difference that makes.I hope to get it anyway but do also hope that down the road there will be a fix.I understand Pimax 5K does have a bigger fov but at a higher price!?

Rift, Vive, Vive Pro, and Odyssey /Odyssey+ all have the same FOV.

4 hours ago, moosya said:

yeah, vivepro was weird at first and fresnels made the sweet spot so tiny that i was contemplating the return of the hmd. But as soon as I got the gearvr mod done it won me back over ten times. GearVR lenses is a must for the vivepro, there's simply no other way about it.

To me the Vive Pro performed as good or better than the Oculus, with regards of smooth gameplay

If I was mechanically inclined, I would have done the gearvr mod, but knowing my skill, I would probably have ruined it.

So I returned it.

On 11/21/2018 at 6:17 AM, WIS-Redcoat said:

My biggest complaint is the 10% scale of the cockpit being off

have you tryied lower you IPD in HMD ? scale issue with gear vr mod is common but lovering IPD helps , for isntance if your IPD is 67 get it at 63,5.

Cheers.

On 11/21/2018 at 10:00 PM, moosya said:

That's simply false - the scale is correct.

Makes your whole review questionable to be honest.

P.S. Ergonomics are subjective. I think the Odyssey is better than the Rift in that regard, it's easier to put on and off and does not leave scuba-diver marks on your face.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Well, I ordered an Odyssey +, will provide another review once I try it. 

2 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

P.S. Ergonomics are subjective. I think the Odyssey is better than the Rift in that regard, it's easier to put on and off and does not leave scuba-diver marks on your face.

Scuba Diver marks is more an area of adjustment than anything, typically means one has their headset a little too tight.

I have mine adjusted for a comfortable fit and it never has left me with scuba diver marks.

I am sure too head shape may have something to do with it also.

2 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Scale is correct means its like the Rift ? or Vive pro.

I had the Vive Pro and was not correct.

Rift is correct, and easy to test.

Fly a 109 and I use the 109 VKB replica stick.

Look at the stick in game, remove Rift, stick looks the same.

Do it with Vive Pro, stick looks small and thin, remove the VR and look at the replica stick, and looks much bigger.

The VivePro scale it off.. no question about that.  It'll work, and its hard to notice, but once you see it you cannot unsee it.  It isn't the IPD either, it's simply off around 10%.

22 hours ago, 307_Tomcat said:

image.thumb.png.f88a15a2bdf9f3688fb204e50667df6b.png

image.thumb.png.af0f10cb147b944274b75480c9647118.png

that's the display itself.

When you funnel it thru the Fresnel lense layer and the horrible hmd ergonomics it doesn't resemble anything close to these pictures. Not but a mile. Take these pictures with a very LARGE grain of salt.

Guess He only wanting to show the pixel effect you still see on most VRsets and this is much lesser on the Samsung plus. 

I do not own any headset only did use them several times in a arcade hall and some demos at the local store.  The Vive and OR  do show lots of pixel effect, for me and my son, we could count every pixel on the display, this was a real disapointing aspect and the main reason not go for any old generation VRset. I know we both do have an very sharpeye and people who do not have this, this pixel effect could maybe not detectable for them.  So everybody does have its own aspects that are important in a negative or positive sense. 

Another positive effect for my wallet is that “ I hope” not to upgrade my i7-7700k/GTX1080 to something bigger like an expensive i9/2080ti and now with the $299,- Blackfriday deal, it will comes in my budget of sending this to Europe, while the Pimax would start for me at $1100,- without controllers. 

If wanting to buy the Samsung, look at the Youtube review from MRTV and VoodooDE here posted above, think these guys do own lots of VRsets and are one of the best reviewers. 

• Upvote 1

Just received my Odyssey+ and have to say it is everything they claim. Screen door effect is nearly gone and the 190A5 felt 50kph faster.

Seriously, I have no regret for having switched from Rift to Odyssey Plus.

The fit of the Rift was a little more comfortable because it was more adjustable. The Plus' position on your face is fixed and only the tightness is adjustable. However, I was constantly moving the Rift HMD for different angles, distance to lenses etc and couldn't really find a sweet spot. The sweet spot in the Plus is pronounced with image quality fading as it gets farther from center. You need to look directly at something for it to appear most clearly.

Plus is a little lighter than Rift and the weight is distributed across brow and forehead move evenly than Rift. The area around the nose was enlarged in the Plus, some may think by too much as light does enter there but I find handy. Using the Rift I'd tilt the HMD up to see keyboard then have to readjust the fit.

Set up was easy. Plugged it in and Windows Mixed Reality started and detected HMD & controllers right away. Downloaded Steam Windows Mixed Reality app and didn't need to do anything. IL*2 started and everything worked as it should and the 190A5 really did feel faster than before.

Conclusion: I'm happy with the purchase and can't wait to spend more time with my new toy. I had minor surgery last week and will get stitched & staples removed Thursday morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gordon200 said:

Just received my Odyssey+ and have to say it is everything they claim. Screen door effect is nearly gone and the 190A5 felt 50kph faster.

Seriously, I have no regret for having switched from Rift to Odyssey Plus.

The fit of the Rift was a little more comfortable because it was more adjustable. The Plus' position on your face is fixed and only the tightness is adjustable. However, I was constantly moving the Rift HMD for different angles, distance to lenses etc and couldn't really find a sweet spot. The sweet spot in the Plus is pronounced with image quality fading as it gets farther from center. You need to look directly at something for it to appear most clearly.

Plus is a little lighter than Rift and the weight is distributed across brow and forehead move evenly than Rift. The area around the nose was enlarged in the Plus, some may think by too much as light does enter there but I find handy. Using the Rift I'd tilt the HMD up to see keyboard then have to readjust the fit.

Set up was easy. Plugged it in and Windows Mixed Reality started and detected HMD & controllers right away. Downloaded Steam Windows Mixed Reality app and didn't need to do anything. IL*2 started and everything worked as it should and the 190A5 really did feel faster than before.

Conclusion: I'm happy with the purchase and can't wait to spend more time with my new toy. I had minor surgery last week and will get stitched & staples removed Thursday morning.

I just got mine too. But it seems that the dials in the cockpit are unreadable. I could read them better in the rift. Other details in the cockpitlook pretty clear. Kinda weird. 

What settings are you using? I have a 1080ti, i7 7700k.

Thanks

• Like 1

I changed gamma from 1.0 to 1.2 and got a better image for gauges and it helped tone down the more vibrant colors.

I have a i7-8086K @ 5Ghz, 2 1070 8Gb SLI, 32Gb DDR4 3600, Liq cooler on ASRock Z370 mobo and 512Gb M.2 Nvme SSD.

Trying to get better vision with the Rift I ordered lenses from WIDMo. They were a big help. But now with the wider face area of the Plus I will be able to wear my regular glasses under the HMD. Couldn't spend much time with the headset on right now. My tumor was between my right eye and ear and that area is still tender to the touch.

9 minutes ago, Gordon200 said:

I changed gamma from 1.0 to 1.2 and got a better image for gauges and it helped tone down the more vibrant colors.

I have a i7-8086K @ 5Ghz, 2 1070 8Gb SLI, 32Gb DDR4 3600, Liq cooler on ASRock Z370 mobo and 512Gb M.2 Nvme SSD.

Trying to get better vision with the Rift I ordered lenses from WIDMo. They were a big help. But now with the wider face area of the Plus I will be able to wear my regular glasses under the HMD. Couldn't spend much time with the headset on right now. My tumor was between my right eye and ear and that area is still tender to the touch.

I tried my glasses but they didn't seem to fit. They did fit the rift. I will try the gamma thing.

@moosya , from other forum found this „ Some people say to put the headband all the way down the back of the head. This is wrong. You get bottom light leakage, and the headset is angled wrong, so the controller tracking is bad.
The people who say wear it like a crown are correct. You have to put the headset on face first, and once it’s flush to your face, you tighten it where it is.  The ONLY way I was able to do this without scratching the lenses with my glasses was to add my 6mm VRCover Vive facepad on top of the Odyssey+ facepad.With the pad, the headset doesn’t hurt my forehead. The headphones barely make it down to my ears though.”

Have you tyied wearing O+ like a crown ? do you have 6mm vr cover ?

My glasses have touched the rift lenses a bunch and don't seem to be scratching it up at all. Maybe the odyssey lenses are more fragile? You can always get some of that glass protector they use on cell phones and cover your lenses with that. Cheaper alternative and possibly more comfortable.

Edited by 392FS_Jred