Sign in to follow this  
dburne

Samsung Odyssey +

This is interesting. I love my Rift but the resolution isn't fantastic, and as far as I can tell the Vive Pro is basically pretty crappy (bad sweet spot seems like a terrible design choice). This is 77% more pixels than the Rift -- any good for IL2?

If I already have Rift and want one of these, do I need base stations or just the main unit?

24 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Very similar to the Odyssey, nothing new.

It was tracked in August:

https://www.roadtovr.com/samsung-odyssey-plus-headset-leaks-fcc-documents/

They could increase resolution or FOV but they didn´t.

There are a number of people with Odyssey in this forum and I think they are happy.

You don´t need base stations since the tracking is inside-out

"With exclusive, evolutionary, SDE-minimizing Samsung display technology, users can perceive a 1,233ppi-level resolution"

Will be interesting to hear how that plays out in the real world.

As for me, don't think I am quite ready to give up the great constellation tracking system of the Rift just yet.

Edited by dburne

I had owned Vive, Rift and Samsung Odyssey in the first gen (and tried the old Pimax but not enough for it to count). Out of these, the Odyssey was by far the best device - easiest to set up, reliable tracking, best screens, good lenses, only downside is you need light in the room.

I don't see the SDE on this version with 20/20 eyes which begin seeing sharp precisely at >17cm. What disturbed me in all gen 1 headsets were godray effects. Still, the Odyssey 1 is the best headset in the gen 1 imo, due to the beforementioned points.

In gen 2 or gen 1.5, you'll see Pimax5k+ as contender though - with less godray effects, higher FOV, but more SDE (which I don't perceive), and a higher price. A simple deletion of the SDE won't suffice vs the much bigger FOV. It'll be interesting.

Only for me this could be interesting,  while it seems the Pimax 5k does in my case, also give the consequence to upgrade to a new i9-9XXXk and/or 2080ti. While I think in case of the Odyssey I could stay to my old  i7-7700k/GTX1080. 

It only seems, copy/paste from the webside:  The actual resolution of the Anti-SDE Dual AMOLED display is 616PPI. SDE-Free Structure technology lets users perceive a resolution level of 1,233PPI.  only the SDE has been reduce, compared to the old Odyssey, or do I read this all wrong? 

Edited by Dutch2

16 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

Only for me this could be interesting,  while it seems the Pimax 5k does in my case, also give the consequence to upgrade to a new i9-9XXXk and/or 2080ti. While I think in case of the Odyssey I could stay to my old  i7-7700k/GTX1080. 

It only seems, copy/paste from the webside:  The actual resolution of the Anti-SDE Dual AMOLED display is 616PPI. SDE-Free Structure technology lets users perceive a resolution level of 1,233PPI.  only the SDE has been reduce, compared to the old Odyssey, or do I read this all wrong? 

I guess it will depend on what resolution an individual may "perceive" out of this new headset.

Gotta love the marketing speak LOL. Think they are taking a page out of the Pimax playbook...

;)

I got really excited for nothing. 

This has the same resolution as the original Odyssey. It just adds this anti SDE aspect. 

I have a 1080 p projector and a 133" diag screen. When I walk up to the screen, I can see the pixels but they're very tightly packed together. Things still look clearly defined even when you're very close to the screen. Am I wrong to believe that current VR HMD's could improve the perceived spaced between pixels? 

I'll wait for reviews

Can't get it in Australia yet. When we do it'll be hugely overpriced.

Here some video from that German guy, just like the old one this VR-gear is not for the Eurozone. 😫

Edited by Dutch2

I wanted to ask you Odyssey users (I returned mine well before the IPD patch), is the scaling 100% accurate?  I have a Vive Pro currently but considering looking at the Odyssey +.  The reason I ask is I assume they still have the same resolution but as you know, scaling in the Vive Pro is off by 10% or so.

Edited by WIS-Redcoat

6 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

I wanted to ask you Odyssey users (I returned mine well before the IPD patch), is the scaling 100% accurate?  I have a Vive Pro currently but considering looking at the Odyssey +.  The reason I ask is I assume they still have the same resolution but as you know, scaling in the Vive Pro is off by 10% or so.

as far as i can tell the scaling in my odyssey is accurate.

2 hours ago, Aloha-Snackbar said:

as far as i can tell the scaling in my odyssey is accurate.

What is the sceen door effect on your Samsung, still visible. 

SDE on my Odyssey will barely be visible - if I concentrate heavily on it for quite a while. Even just looking for it does not let me see it, I must concentrate for an extended amount of time on it. I don't get why they'd want to bring an Odyssey+ with even less SDE - it must be absolutely invisible then in all cases.

The scaling is spot on by the way. They fixed this long ago - albeit it took them some time, indeed, that was an annoyance.

9 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

SDE on my Odyssey will barely be visible - if I concentrate heavily on it for quite a while. Even just looking for it does not let me see it, I must concentrate for an extended amount of time on it. I don't get why they'd want to bring an Odyssey+ with even less SDE - it must be absolutely invisible then in all cases.

The scaling is spot on by the way. They fixed this long ago - albeit it took them some time, indeed, that was an annoyance.

How can you not see the SDE. I see it instantly if I am not focusing on the game

I hardly notice SDE in my Rift - unless I happen to focus on it, normally I am focused at everything out beyond.

I notice it a little more in some other games rather than flight sims.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

SDE on my Odyssey will barely be visible - if I concentrate heavily on it for quite a while.

How do you like the ergonomics of the Odyssey? I have a Rift and chose it (over the Vive, ~2 years ago) because it was lighter weight and more comfortable. I find after some dogfights in the Rift I am already straining my neck a bit, whipping my head around with the headset attached. Is the Odyssey any better or worse for this kind of thing? Thanks!

On 10/28/2018 at 9:06 PM, Alonzo said:

How do you like the ergonomics of the Odyssey? I have a Rift and chose it (over the Vive, ~2 years ago) because it was lighter weight and more comfortable. I find after some dogfights in the Rift I am already straining my neck a bit, whipping my head around with the headset attached. Is the Odyssey any better or worse for this kind of thing? Thanks!

It's totally up to your head shape. It should be less confortable than the rift because it weighs more.

There will be an review from MRVT Sebastian about the Samsung plus and it seems two guys made an review about it. 

Edited by Dutch2

From the Mudspike Forums:

Pics of IL-2 

The images of IL-2 running on the Odyssey+ look pretty impressive to me! 

Edited by Hunchy
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, Alonzo said:

I own both the Rift and the Odyssey. I do see a marked improvement in Visuals on the Odyssey. The Rift is more comfortable (Slightly), I like the headphones better on the Rift because they move out of the way. The controllers are far better ergonomically on the Rift. And I like the small sight window under the Rift so you can see the Keyboard

Mostly I play Flight sims and am using the Odyssey because of the resolution

only thing i miss from my headset at the moment is a larger FOV, can live with the resolution, even more when you consider there is no HW at the moment that can utilize those high res headsets.

3 hours ago, wheeliemonsta said:

Looks interesting. Just have to wait until they appear on Big Apple Buddy I guess! (UK user here!)

Check also Boderoo https://borderoo.com as an BAB alternative. 

• Thanks 1

anyone in US wants to pull the trigger and order one up? :) My hands are itching.. you know.. purely from the testing perspective..

Wait for saterday when Sabastian from MRVT will publish his video review. 

11 hours ago, dburne said:

Not me, not quite ready to give up on my Rift yet.

Saw this review posted over on the Oculus forums.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/71011/my-odyssey-review#latest

He says SteamVR software is clunky compared to Oculus Home / Dash. I'm afraid I don't believe this guy even though I wouldn't mind knowing the Odyssey+ is not that much better than the Rift. The longer I can live with my Rift the better for me.

The biggest thing I could say would be a plus is this, I was flying in TAW a while ago with somebody I met on discord, he had a vive pro with the nice screens, we were trotting along and he calls out a bogey, I say where is this plane? He's yelling right there yada yada!! I just couldn't see it, he could see it fine, I was using a rift. End of story.

I want one of these quite badly, the fit being the only thing making me question the purchase, not having to set up cameras, and all those usb ports would be amazing. Then to top it off the screens. I think people playing games like regular VR games don't see a huge improvement because they don't look too bad in the rift, but playing something like Il2 where you can get a much needed visual edge over say the rift it'd be worth the money. From the shots i've seen through the lenses the visual clarity is at least twice as good as a rift, like going from a standard SD tv to 1080p. I'd even take a regular odyssey at a much lower price, I saw refurbs on amazon for 350, which sucks because brand new they were 400 for a little while, the old ones back at 500 and trying to figure out if you are buying a plus or the old model is a pita.

Edited by 15th_JonRedcorn

Someone asked about the ergonomics of Rift vs Odyssey. 

Rift's controllers are much better ergonomically than the Odyssey's, but worse in regards to tracking unless you build a full room camera setup with 3 cams mounted to the walls. Above both, I'd prefer gloves! 

The Odyssey's head-ergonomics are better, because there is not as much pressure on the frontal face - You won't have the scuba diver marks around your face and look like an idiot for almost an hour after a gaming session. 

The weight doesn't interest me nor do I feel it, but then again I do a lot of sports and have a pretty decent neck. I can be in VR infinitely, I think the max time was 4h so far and I didn't feel a thing. If anyone is more of a couch potato, this may be a more important point though. 

The little space at the nose to spy through in the Rift can be advantegous to spy for the keyboard - or immersion breaking. Up to you. In the Odyssey you can remove the nose flaps / tuck them back, so you got the choice here according to your own preference. 

I found the Odyssey's ergonomics intolerable. I couldn't wear it more than 15-20 minutes before getting skin irritation and a giant red mark on my forehead from the entire weight of the device being carried on a small patch of skin and that patch being pressed against cheap fake leather with zero breath-ability. For comparison, I can wear the Rift all day, with glasses, comfortably. This may be a simple head shape thing though.

Sorry to hear that. Yeah it may be a head shape thing. I wear it like a crown. The weight of the headset isn't on my forehead, but evenly distributed. I use a velour cushion I got from VRCover, I already forgot about the delivered one (which was bad, very true). The Odyssey Plus' is different afaik.

Seems to be hit or miss with the fit, I have to say the oculus has impeccable fit, it's easily wearable with my glasses as well. Of all the complaints I've heard of the odyssey it's been the fit being the biggest problem. Some people it fits really well and others it doesn't work at all, and the fact that it has very little adjustment makes that even worse.

Guys you be aware you all talking about the old Samsung Odyssey nonplus version when it becomes to fit issues. 

Btw here a short review from MRTV, to avoid his blabla, scroll to the right, I think it is very clear if have an GTX1070(ti) or GTX1080, like I have, the Samsung is the way to go. It seems it has the smallest SDE from all the VRsets, even smaller then the Pimax.

But the Pimax5k is the best. 

Now only waiting for that VoodooDE review, because he did also buy the Samsung Odyssey plus. Meantime I guess it will be availible on Amazon.com for shipment to the Eurozone. 

Edited by Dutch2

On 11/8/2018 at 6:29 PM, moosya said:

anyone in US wants to pull the trigger and order one up? :) My hands are itching.. you know.. purely from the testing perspective..

I am seriously considering it. I tried a Rift once with IL-2 and the SDE and chromatic aberration was terrible. It also did not fit well with my glasses. The lenses of the Rift pressed against my glasses lenses and scratched them. Flying in VR was great, though, which is why I want to try it again.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Cathal_Brugha said:

I am seriously considering it. I tried a Rift once with IL-2 and the SDE and chromatic aberration was terrible. It also did not fit well with my glasses. The lenses of the Rift pressed against my glasses lenses and scratched them. Flying in VR was great, though, which is why I want to try it again.

i think i'll go down to the MS store and test it out. A lot of folks are reporting a really bad fit with the light leaking in from all corners/sides. I get the under the nose gap but if it's all around that is not good.