Jade_Monkey

FROM ENGLAND WITH LOVE - SP scripted campaign [Spitfire Mk.Vb]

Posted (edited)

Campaign.png

Announcing a micro campaign (8 missions) for the Spitfire Mk Vb in Kuban.

It's inspired in some passages of Igor Zlobin's narration of Spitfires over the Kuban.

Notes:

• A couple of missions (#5 and #6) have an airfield attack by the enemy while you are taking off. Unlike in the past, these attacks are randomized (15% probability of happening) and will force you to fight the enemies and forget the initial mission. However, that will not result in a successful transition to the next mission in the campaign. You will have to fly the same mission again (and hope not to get attacked) until you complete it.
  • The Spitfire Mk Vb is very agile but it's relatively slow. Bring faster enemies into a turn fight, or dive on them from higher altitude. Remember that the Spitfire's boost can be very helpful in these situations.
  • The 20mm cannons only have 120 rounds. It's highly recommended to use them only when you are certain of a hit. Use them up close and sparingly.

Installation: Paste the unzipped folder into the \IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\Campaigns\  directory.

Tested version: 3.005c

Download links:

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 13

Great idea. I could have used this last year for my movie.  

However I am not so keen on the promotional poster: you have a close up of an 109 - i know it is supposed to be damaged - with a Spitfire behind that is firing but must be missing: and only someone who knows Spitfires reasonably well would recognize it anyway. Why not have a nice shot of a Soviet marked Spitfire in all it's glory, perhaps with a burning 109 in the background? 

• Confused 3
  • Upvote 1

Nice. I haven't tried the Spit in game Career yet, so this should be a good primer for it. Can't wait JM.

S!Blade<><

Great! Scripted campaigns are always welcome. And the time and effort that goes in making them is well appreciated!

Always love to see scripted campaign for planes types which do not have one yet. I will try for sure.

BTW of topic is there scripted campaign for p38, p40 or macci?

Lovely stuff... I've used the Spit Vb in PWCG careers as well as the new career in game.

Looking forward to a scripted campaign for a nice change.

Pity we can't fly over Moscow proper, as it would be good to do a PVO campaign doing high altitude interceptions in the Mk IX...

Updated the main post with download link from Mediafire. 

M4T link coming as soon as the mods there approve it.

Feel free to post here or send me a PM with any feedback or bugs that you might encounter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Good so far... I even knocked a Stuka out of the sky without expending all my ammo  :)  How about that!

• Upvote 1

Cool to see a Spitfire 5 campaign, looking forward to trying it when I get a time window.

One small detail that is a little odd for me is the title, as it was the United Kingdom then as it still is, or so they tell us. You may well be right though and Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland count for little in the scheme of things 😉

Jade_Monkey many thanks for the historic campaign! I have not yet reached the Kuban, but when I come in 1943 I will definitely play it. :)

A small technical issue. If you run the campaign in its existing form in a game with a non-English interface (in my case with a Russian interface), neither the campaign name nor the mission description is displayed. In order to work correctly, I copied the .eng files and renamed them .rus.
This is not a translation, just a way to see at least an English text, instead of an empty place. For example, I attached an archive. I also believe that it is necessary to do with interfaces in other languages. ;) 

interface_r.zip

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Pict said:

Cool to see a Spitfire 5 campaign, looking forward to trying it when I get a time window.

One small detail that is a little odd for me is the title, as it was the United Kingdom then as it still is, or so they tell us. You may well be right though and Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland count for little in the scheme of things 😉

I sw this one coming miles away and i made some changes to the title before making it public. At some point i stopped caring and if someone has a problem with it, they can go in and edit their campaign name to say something else.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I sw this one coming miles away and i made some changes to the title before making it public. At some point i stopped caring and if someone has a problem with it, they can go in and edit their campaign name to say something else.

Quite right. FWIW John Mitchell, the Spitfire designer, was English, Supermarine was an English company and the Spitfire was mainly build in Southampton and Birmingham.  It may have had a few components sourced from Scotland, Wales and N.I. or even some limited dispersed assembly later in the war, but it was as English as an aeroplane can be.   

Good job Monkey.

A full campaign being 15 or 16 missions, you could probably go with "mini" campaign at 8 missions. :)

Micro-campaign...2 missions. :rofl:

• Haha 1

Nothing odd about the title... to most Germans at that time they were at war with the 'English'.

Political Correctness is ruining our modern world... whoever thought it up should be tied to the wheel of a gun carriage and flogged!... (get your pc whinges around that)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

As for the Title: England is synonimous for UK, as Russia is/was synonimous for Soviet Union. James Bond wasn‘t called „from Soviet Union with Love“ either, was it?

Edited by sevenless
  • Haha 1

Any and all offense taken, quite frankly, I find offensive. 😀

1 hour ago, Thad said:

Any and all offense taken, quite frankly, I find offensive. 😀

I might use that going forward.😆

Posted (edited)

Having recently tried my hand at Mission Building, I'm beginning to understand how much work you've put into this - thanks!

J-M, I tried converting this to a coop for the squad, and when we flew the first mission I realised that there was no altitude information in the brief (and incorrect information of 23 ft on the map) for the rendezvous with the P-39s in Mission 1.

As we fly Full Real, that makes it really hard to RV with 'planes that don't communicate with us.

I may have had coop conversion issues too, but I suspect this problem is common to Single Player. I haven't tried the other missions yet.

Good atmosphere, we look forward to flying the rest.

56RAF_phoenix56

PS. I'll also add that it helps to know what airfield the P-39s are coming from, we can keep a lookout in that direction.

Edited by 56RAF_phoenix56
more information

On 8/26/2018 at 5:59 AM, Jade_Monkey said:

I might use that going forward.😆

"I'm offended that you're offended" is how I've put it in the past.

• Haha 1

Thank you for this, I am new to BOS I have been with ROF and IL2 in the early years my problem is taking off in the Spitfire in the campaign  the plane just go's left or right and round and round at very small throttle openings, I tried it out side the campaign and not easy but I was ok with it now it only happens in this campaign flying the plane is ok.

I have Saitek X52 Pro and CH pedals.

Any ideas thank you. 

34 minutes ago, CB775tadon246 said:

Thank you for this, I am new to BOS I have been with ROF and IL2 in the early years my problem is taking off in the Spitfire in the campaign  the plane just go's left or right and round and round at very small throttle openings, I tried it out side the campaign and not easy but I was ok with it now it only happens in this campaign flying the plane is ok.

Any ideas thank you. 

Try this:

• Make sure the prop pitch is at 100%.
  • Use the brake+rudder simultaneously to steer the plane in ground. 
  • Go slow, not more than 1500 RPM (im going off of memory).

11 hours ago, CB775tadon246 said:

Any ideas thank you. 

You should watch this movie of Requiem.  There is one small error in it: he sets the elevator trim one division nose up when it should, by the manual, be nose down, but that just means he takes off a little more from the three point position rather than lifting the tail first. Either works fine.  In essence: flaps up, rpm fully forwards, use rudder - not brakes - to correct the pull to the left, and open your boost to rated power - you do not need full power to take off in a Spitfire.

• Like 1

Please can I ask what are your settings in SIMPLIFIED PHYSICS and SIMPLIFIED CONTROLS.

Like I say I have no real problem taking off with the Spitfire it only happens in this FROM ENGLAND WITH LOVE campaign I am stuck on the second mission taxing out and taking off the plane just spins round with very little throttle ether left or right I have tried so many times with so many settings with no luck.

I am new to BOS AND BOK all the aircraft in ROF I have no problems with taking off.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, CB775tadon246 said:

Please can I ask what are your settings in SIMPLIFIED PHYSICS and SIMPLIFIED CONTROLS.

Like I say I have no real problem taking off with the Spitfire it only happens in this FROM ENGLAND WITH LOVE campaign I am stuck on the second mission taxing out and taking off the plane just spins round with very little throttle ether left or right I have tried so many times with so many settings with no luck.

I am new to BOS AND BOK all the aircraft in ROF I have no problems with taking off.

I cannot answer that myself since I have never used those settings and I am afraid I have no intention of trying!

Having looked at the mission in the editor I think I know what the problem is. Jade_Monkey is using the Kuban Spring Map: I have had a similar issue to you using this map in QMB for ground starts and taking ages and full power to get rolling from a start with power off.  Some of the airfields are strange on this map, including your base in mission 2: the buildings etc at the airfield are there, but the airfield itself is unaltered field textures, not a wide grassy expanse. Therefore, you are getting the field ground physics rather than the smoother airfield physics. I expect the friction is higher, which is why your wheels are sticking.

I have no idea why this map is like this: is it a bug or a strange design decision?  Either way, it is not the fault of either yourself or the Spitfire:  I am not sure what if anything can be done about it. 

Edited by unreasonable

Mission two, exactly the same problem, and I fly the Spit a lot, never had this happen before...

Really?

I've tested them many times and didnt have any issues using the steps i posted above.

Is it harder to move, like higher friction?

In mission 5 you move to a paved airfield, if that helps.

Yes really - there is definitely an issue with that map.  I was trying to ground start a Dr.1 on one of the airfields like that (buildings but only field textures) and it took forever to get it "unstuck" and rolling as though it really was in a muddy field full of cabbages.   Personally I think it (the map) needs revising: someone needs to get a heavy roller out.  

2 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Mission two, exactly the same problem, and I fly the Spit a lot, never had this happen before...

Wow and I spent many hours trying to take off, thanks for the reply Trooper117, has anyone got past mission 2 ?

1 hour ago, CB775tadon246 said:

Wow and I spent many hours trying to take off, thanks for the reply Trooper117, has anyone got past mission 2 ?

I managed to take off, after many tries.  Flew the mission came back to my home field got mission complete but when exiting the mission the mission failed .?  Have not tried it since, but at least I manged to taxi out of the hanger and take off.

1 hour ago, CB775tadon246 said:

Yes, mission 2 was easy enough (apart from just getting away from the hangers to take off)

I played the first 2 missions so far.

1. Mission bring my poor rig to its knees. I dont know what causes the horrible slowdowns? The amount of planes in combination with ground units and the static smoke objects, or its the engine limitation  in IL-2 ?  Lowering my setting didn´t help much here. So,its close to unplayable for me.

2. Is a bit confusing ^^ (I like the start from the hangar) Mission goal is to "Join with the 9 Peshkas who headed southwards" Okay,  but I can´t find the P-2 flight.  Even if I set my course directly to 200 right after start and climb to 7500ft.  A bit more infos for the player would be helpfull here. Like: Where´s the meeting point (grid), Altitute of the Bomber flight, etc. Or it is by mission design to encounter the BF-109ers first?  So, at the end I didn´t finish the 2nd mission.

6 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Yes, mission 2 was easy enough (apart from just getting away from the hangers to take off)

Are you also using Normal settings (i.e. no complex engine mgmt)??

Taxiing one the grass should not be that hard if you manage the prop pitch.