Sign in to follow this  
Surrexen

Burning Wrecks At Start Of Mission

Hi guys, 

What's the best way to make a bunch of burning wrecked tanks around you at the start of the mission? So far I've got mission begin target linked to a 2 second timer, target linked to a command damage (complete) which is object linked to a vehicle, which works fine, but i'm wondering if there is a cleaner or simpler way of doing it?

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.5aa140ca32fe541d59561869e97f26dc.png

This is the basic setup. You want to stack the static block, and the two land fires on top of each other. This will give the illusion that the vehicle is a burning wreck. Keep in mind that objects will delete themselves after a few minutes, so I've set the vehicle to repair itself and destroy itself every 5 minutes. This way it won't delete. The bottom portion of the image is @JimTM's effect substainer. If you want multiple vehicles, just add two more effects, and another static block and make the object connects from the repair/damage and effect starts and stops; no need to recreate the effect substainer and damage and repair logic.

And here it is cleaned up:

image.thumb.png.92c395ce2eb2cba7f1792a20c428f846.png

I should also add that any effect you add to your mission is a performance hit. So too many of these guys going off will slow down your player's computer. Don't add too many. 😄 

And here's the group I created:

VehicleOnFire.zip

(Just in case....  I didn't test this logic, so if someone else has a better solution, or can verify that this works, then that'd be a good thing.)

Edited by [TWB]Sketch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, you could uncheck "delete on death" in the block entity and wouldn't need the repair portion of my logic.

• Upvote 1

Further to Sketch's post above:

• The effect sustainer is documented on pg. 290 of the IL-2 Sturmovik Mission Editor and Multiplayer Server Manual.
  • Since Sketch's example does not use the city_fire effect, you can delete Begin, T1, "Out A1", and "Out D1" from the effect sustainer, if you want to.
  • If you do not want to stop the fire effect, you can delete "In Stop: 0s", D2, T3, and "Out Stop Effects" from the effect sustainer.

11 hours ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, you could uncheck "delete on death" in the block entity and wouldn't need the repair portion of my logic.

I was wondering about that. Thanks heaps for the responses guys, I'll mess around with it later. On average, how many of those kinds of effects can you put in before performance goes downhill?

image.thumb.png.aa50e67f76d79b1c459077b2cd875183.png

You can only have about 6-8 effects, or about 3-4 burning tanks, on at a time. (If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure other mission designers will correct me! But I don't think I'm wrong....) The image above is an example of how to turn the effects on and off when players enter and exit an area near the effect(s).

Also, video:

And the new group with the enter and exit logic added:

VehicleOnFire_v2.zip

Edited by [TWB]Sketch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1