Jump to content
Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 198 - Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, =621=Samikatz said:

 

The only aircraft from the older expansions that might end up in western front servers are the A-20B (as a stand-in for French Bostons), the Stuka (already confirmed for pilot career), the 190A-5, maybe the Hs-129, and maybe the Ju-88. You obviously won't see any native Russian aircraft, the P-40E is well out of date by this point and the Spitfire VB would be hopelessly outclassed as a 1941 aircraft that can't carry bombs. Before it came out the devs also mentioned that we could get late war mods for the Bf-109G-6 once Bodenplatte gets close to release, similar to how the La-5 got an upgraded engine as Kuban-era aircraft started being released, so you might see that too

 

Emphasis mine; I tried to search for that, do you remember where you read it? DB605AS, tall tail and Erla Haube would make nice mods for the G-6. If they dont want to release a separate "G-6 late" or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

 

Emphasis mine; I tried to search for that, do you remember where you read it? DB605AS, tall tail and Erla Haube would make nice mods for the G-6. If they dont want to release a separate "G-6 late" or something.

 

The AS engine requires the use of the later, streamlined cowling due to the supercharger's size. As much as I'd love to have the AS/ASM engine, I don't see it happening for this reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PainGod85 said:

 

The AS engine requires the use of the later, streamlined cowling due to the supercharger's size. As much as I'd love to have the AS/ASM engine, I don't see it happening for this reason. 

 

It may not be a problem. There are modifications that have bigger external impact in the game already, such as Il-2 and Pe-2's rear gunners, Spitfire's wings and various gun pods. 109's engine cowling is geometrically fairly simple and probably quick to model, and it shouldnt ruin existing skins too badly(I think... it didnt stretch them in the old game). I think the additional small bulges and other cowling details near exhaust stacks only appeared later with the DB605AM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

 

Emphasis mine; I tried to search for that, do you remember where you read it? DB605AS, tall tail and Erla Haube would make nice mods for the G-6. If they dont want to release a separate "G-6 late" or something.

 

There was a many many page thread on what mods the G-6 would get prior to Kuban's release (Mw50, Erla Haube, etc). A dev responded that it would be a 1943 fit G-6 with the Mk108 as an optional mod, and added they might revisit it for Bodenplatte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, PainGod85 said:

 

The AS engine requires the use of the later, streamlined cowling due to the supercharger's size. As much as I'd love to have the AS/ASM engine, I don't see it happening for this reason.

 

That´s correct, but once they have finished the K4, they have everything in place for a G5,G6,G14/AS or G10 model. Maybe we will see at least the G14/AS which was quite prominently used in that timeframe.

Edited by sevenless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

 

The only aircraft from the older expansions that might end up in western front servers are the A-20B (as a stand-in for French Bostons), the Stuka (already confirmed for pilot career), the 190A-5, maybe the Hs-129, and maybe the Ju-88. You obviously won't see any native Russian aircraft, the P-40E is well out of date by this point and the Spitfire VB would be hopelessly outclassed as a 1941 aircraft that can't carry bombs. Before it came out the devs also mentioned that we could get late war mods for the Bf-109G-6 once Bodenplatte gets close to release, similar to how the La-5 got an upgraded engine as Kuban-era aircraft started being released, so you might see that too

 

Hs129 never saw service in the ETO. The 110G2 did though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a fan of the Thunderbolt, always have been since I first sat in one. I hope it lives up to its reputation of being able to soak up huge amounts of damage? 

 

One question I have to ask is about cyan/blue colour hue in all the images which also looks really oversaturated. The sky looks weird in the blue areas, or rather not blue in the areas where it would be expected to be blue. I think the last image perfectly shows this off perfectly with the entire aluminium skin completely blown out with an overly blue reflection. I have photographed a lot of aircraft, including polished metal and they never show anything near that amount of saturation, although yes there is a blue cast in clear skies. 

 

Just wondering if the super saturated sky colours, particularly the cyan/blue can be toned down and corrected? 

 

Great work on the model, love it.... but that blue and the saturation in the reflections are way off :(

Jug_5.thumb.jpg.1b5f9badbe856bbbd3a14ffba80f6c9c.jpg

POLISHEDP-51PARKED.jpg

Edited by Mysticpuma
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know Mystic...looking at the upper half of the Mustang, with a hazy pale blue sky and the sun directly overhead looks like the topside of the P-47. Looks good to me.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What?  The wings and upper fuselage catching the light from the sky on the P-47 are almost 1/1 with the P-51 you posted.  Place the dark water of the sea beneath the P-51 and you'd get the darker tones you see on the bottom half of the P-47 and on the tail.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MicEzo said:

Can't wait for the Thud

By “thud” I think you meant “thunderbolt” the “thud” was the f-105 thundercheif, an aircraft that didn’t appear till Vietnam. Sorry to be so nit picky. 

B4996BB4-FCF8-4432-8CC6-9C94D545F921.thumb.jpeg.ecee3366b213166491d38bdd779df165.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, busdriver said:

I don't know Mystic...looking at the upper half of the Mustang, with a hazy pale blue sky and the sun directly overhead looks like the topside of the P-47. Looks good to me.

 

2 hours ago, 7.GShAP/Silas said:

What?  The wings and upper fuselage catching the light from the sky on the P-47 are almost 1/1 with the P-51 you posted.  Place the dark water of the sea beneath the P-51 and you'd get the darker tones you see on the bottom half of the P-47 and on the tail.

 

1 hour ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Those 2 images actually confirm that they got the color just about perfect.

 

1 hour ago, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

 

Looking just fine and dandy.

 

Jug_4.jpg

 

 

That is exactly what I thought but didn't post anything because my eyesight isn't always the most reliable when it comes to looking at these pictures. Maybe @Mysticpuma was being sarcastic. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

Just wondering if the super saturated sky colours, particularly the cyan/blue can be toned down and corrected? 

 

I dont really see what you see but two things:

Maybe its your monitor settings 

 

You can adjust saturation and colors with reshade. I upped the colors a little because it felt a little bland color wise. Comes down to personal taste.:salute:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant't wait to fly it. I hope the RP-3 rockets will be also modelled and available. They were fantastic in ground attack role. Otherwise the 8 guns .50 caliber were good against light armor vehicles, less effective than say 4 x 20mm cannons of the Tempest V against more hardened targets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2018 at 2:09 AM, Docjonel said:

 

If you ever come to Connecticut, the New England Air Museum in Windsor Locks has the P-47 "Norma" whose cockpit is frequently open for visitors to sit in. 

Here's a shot of my little guy sitting in the pilot's seat:

 

Img_8386b_15.jpg

 

 

Thanks to your post I ended up going to the New England Air Museum this morning and (lucky me!) got to hop in the cockpit.

They let you play with all the instruments, so I was going nuts with the throttle, mixture, camera switch, unlocking the tail wheel, etc.

I even got to close the canopy while I was in there!

 

The gentleman who was helping out at the museum happened to be a former Panam 747 pilot and was really excited to have someone ask all these questions.

I wanted to stay there longer but i dragged my wife along and didnt want to keep her there too long.

 

I took a bunch of pictures that hopefully are good enough for the devs to use as a reference. I know the P47 is probably already in advanced stages but you never know.

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

 

 

Thanks to your post I ended up going to the New England Air Museum this morning and (lucky me!) got to hop in the cockpit.

They let you play with all the instruments, so I was going nuts with the throttle, mixture, camera switch, unlocking the tail wheel, etc.

I even got to close the canopy while I was in there!

 

The gentleman who was helping out at the museum happened to be a former Panam 747 pilot and was really excited to have someone ask all these questions.

I wanted to stay there longer but i dragged my wife along and didnt want to keep her there too long.

 

I took a bunch of pictures that hopefully are good enough for the devs to use as a reference. I know the P47 is probably already in advanced stages but you never know.

 

Fantastic! Glad you got to go! They have designated "Open Cockpit" days, but often they'll let you sit in the planes on exhibit on unscheduled days as happened with you. 

My little guy is now 8 years old so now we're both looking forward to Bodenplatte's release. We'll be heading up there for a familiarization visit with "Norma" pretty soon. My time with her in the past was brief as there was a line of people behind me waiting to sit in the cockpit. But none probably appreciated it as much as me!

Shame they changed exhibits recently. Used to have a Mig-15 and an F-86 facing each other in the main exhibit hall, two of my favorite jet fighters of all time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 8/5/2018 at 2:31 PM, Legioneod said:

Depends, I'm not sure what it is in dg a sec but test reports say it has a sustained turn radius of 990ft. It can turn faster but it wont be able to sustain the turn.

Above 10k ft it can out turn the Fw190 so I'd assume their turn rates are not far from each other. At lower speeds the 190 can outturn the Jug.

 

The P-47s maneuverability increases with altitude so the higher you are the better you'll be able to maneuver.

 

Sustained turns arent really great but it can turn instantaneously pretty well. The Jug is not a turn fighter, it's an energy (BnZ) fighter, if you try to get into a turn fight with a 109 you will lose 9 times out of 10, you can handle the 190 at most altitudes but don't turn with a 109 unless you have lots of speed and altitude at your disposal.

 

Here is a test result of mock combat between a P-47 and Fw-190, there is another report somewhere but I can't find it.

Keep in mind that the 190 most likely wasn't performing at top levels so the results may not be 100% accurate, however the results do match` (for the most art)  pilot accounts of combat with the 190.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/P-47_versus_FW-190.pdf

 

i would point out that this test was completed with a P-47D4 prior to the "paddle blade" system being standard while the P-47 we are getting is a D-28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...