Jason_Williams

Developer Diary 198 - Discussion

2 hours ago, CDRSEABEE said:

Here is some P47 footage that just cane out on you tube.

...and has just been posted 11 hours ago already.

12 hours ago, Ferry said:

Can't wait to fly this beauty and made some skins :P

Talon_ and how did you get this ? tried and gave up, thinking that are linked to a diferent material (more metal/glossy) of the 3D object or something... in the code... (sorry offtopic searched on other forums and no one asked/told that )

Alpha channel

Edited by Talon_
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Talon_ said:

I made this already 

20180701150911_1.jpg.00f01fea576b375aed1124a70b15187a.jpg

Now that is what I'm talking about! A bit off topic, but man she's beautiful!

Thanks Talon! Where can I download this skin of yours? I'll save the link or whatever for when I own BOBP.

23 minutes ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Now that is what I'm talking about! A bit off topic, but man she's beautiful!

Thanks Talon! Where can I download this skin of yours? I'll save the link or whatever for when I own BOBP.

I'm gonna post it up in this thread when it's finished. I have to rework it just a little but it'll be up soon! 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

I'm gonna post it up in this thread when it's finished. I have to rework it just a little but it'll be up soon! 

If I recall correctly, the top of the engine cowling from the cockpit forward should be matte black. I'm sure you already know this. But the camouflage on the nose doesn't look right in my opinion.

I look forward to your finished skin none the less!

Ps. Sorry to you all for chatting about Spitfires in a thread about the Thunderbolt

Edited by Algy-Lacey
Arrogance on my part!

1 minute ago, Algy-Lacey said:

If I recall correctly, the top of the engine cowling from the cockpit forward should be matte black. I'm sure you already know this. But the camouflage on the nose doesn't look right.

I look forward to your finished skin none the less!

Ps. Sorry to you all for chatting about Spitfires in a thread about the Thunderbolt

I did a lot of research for that skin! :P

Image result for ufq mj250

Image result for ufq mj250

11 minutes ago, E69_geramos109 said:

I really like the P47 but my favourite is the razorback verssion heheh

Razorback is my favorite too. Same for P-51.

Hey Talon_

I didn't know about that paintscheme for this particular Spitfire,

I stand corrected!

It seems that the airworthy Spitfire U F  Q  is bare metal all over, but that may not be historically accurate.

spitfire_mk356_bob_photo.jpg

Cheers! I edited my post to be more respectful.

On 8/2/2018 at 10:07 AM, kramer said:

Wow, such smooth lines. Pilot looks tiny in this beast.

Yes, actually......Is he too small? I noticed it on the port quarter view, then compared it to pics and vids on Tube. I can't tell if he's actually too small, or if it's the glare on his head coupled with the modern guys wearing actual helmets? Anyone else wanna weigh in here?

3dm looks superb! Aside from my one little gripe (maybe) it looks incredible, can't wait to fly my favorite warbird!!!

~Rob

Edited by WWGunfighter

4 hours ago, WWGunfighter said:

Is he too small?

Well given the p-47s absolute monstrous size, the pilot is going to look small in it. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/4/2018 at 6:42 PM, Algy-Lacey said:

Hey Talon_

I didn't know about that paintscheme for this particular Spitfire,

I stand corrected!

It seems that the airworthy Spitfire U F  Q  is bare metal all over, but that may not be historically accurate.

spitfire_mk356_bob_photo.jpg

Cheers! I edited my post to be more respectful.

I do not know the history of that Spitfire but you can see that it had a rebuild at some stage, as it has the pointy tail, unlike in Talon's picture: or perhaps it is another plane altogether just marked up as UF-Q. (Edit - it is MK 356 not MJ 250) The "Spitfire Aces of N.Africa & Italy" book has a better print of that contemporary picture and to tell the truth I am not 100% convinced that the top of the nose was not aluminium: some of the pictures of the modern version make the top nose panels look a little darker, plus you have exhaust dirt. The profile in that book has the area as a light gray.  It may depend on whether the plane was delivered unpainted - presumably as a trial - or was delivered with conventional paint and later stripped. Which would be an odd thing to do at unit level.

Either way it is a good choice for a distinctive Spitfire skin: I am looking forwards to flying in it.   

Edited by unreasonable
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2018 at 11:35 AM, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

yCawUmT.gif

Msj9kwm.jpg

you never realize how beautiful, sleep, and state of the art the f-22 looks until you put it next to that thing

6 hours ago, 1CAG_Zmachine6 said:

do anyone know the turn rate of the p47 thunderbolt

Depends, I'm not sure what it is in dg a sec but test reports say it has a sustained turn radius of 990ft. It can turn faster but it wont be able to sustain the turn.

Above 10k ft it can out turn the Fw190 so I'd assume their turn rates are not far from each other. At lower speeds the 190 can outturn the Jug.

The P-47s maneuverability increases with altitude so the higher you are the better you'll be able to maneuver.

Sustained turns arent really great but it can turn instantaneously pretty well. The Jug is not a turn fighter, it's an energy (BnZ) fighter, if you try to get into a turn fight with a 109 you will lose 9 times out of 10, you can handle the 190 at most altitudes but don't turn with a 109 unless you have lots of speed and altitude at your disposal.

Here is a test result of mock combat between a P-47 and Fw-190, there is another report somewhere but I can't find it.

Keep in mind that the 190 most likely wasn't performing at top levels so the results may not be 100% accurate, however the results do match` (for the most art)  pilot accounts of combat with the 190.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/P-47_versus_FW-190.pdf

Edited by Legioneod

P-51 for win, 109s will eat P-47s alive they are just to big targets :) they should stick to GA where they belong and let P-51s fght the air targets

Edited by 77.CountZero

3 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

P-51 for win, 109s will eat P-47s alive they are just to big targets :) they should stick to GA where they belong and let P-51s fght the air targets

Keep telling yourself that lol. Th 56th shot down over 600 aircraft (they destroyed near 1000) and the only lost around 43 P-47s to enemy aircraft.

I will def enjoy flying the P-51 though.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Th 56th shot down over 600 aircraft (they destroyed near 1000)

Were these claims, or records on both sides?

2 minutes ago, angus26 said:

image.png.231e9c707004d673289fb80ab7d08cb8.png

image.png.db95b125d455087e405f4cfca321999c.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, angus26 said:

They claimed 677.5 but the official records only give them credit for 674.5

27 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Keep telling yourself that lol. Th 56th shot down over 600 aircraft (they destroyed near 1000) and the only lost around 43 P-47s to enemy aircraft.

But real life dosent translate good in MP game enviroment we have here :) 

34 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

They had 150 octane fuel, we probably won't.

3 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

But real life dosent translate good in MP game enviroment we have here :) 

Agreed but that doesn't mean the P-47 will be outclassed in any way. A well flown P-47 will be a handful.

2 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

Even without 150 we should be able to push at least 65"

Edited by Legioneod

53 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Depends, I'm not sure what it is in dg a sec but test reports say it has a sustained turn radius of 990ft. It can turn faster but it wont be able to sustain the turn.

Above 10k ft it can out turn the Fw190 so I'd assume their turn rates are not far from each other. At lower speeds the 190 can outturn the Jug.

The P-47s maneuverability increases with altitude so the higher you are the better you'll be able to maneuver.

Sustained turns arent really great but it can turn instantaneously pretty well. The Jug is not a turn fighter, it's an energy (BnZ) fighter, if you try to get into a turn fight with a 109 you will lose 9 times out of 10, you can handle the 190 at most altitudes but don't turn with a 109 unless you have lots of speed and altitude at your disposal.

Here is a test result of mock combat between a P-47 and Fw-190, there is another report somewhere but I can't find it.

Keep in mind that the 190 most likely wasn't performing at top levels so the results may not be 100% accurate, however the results do match` (for the most art)  pilot accounts of combat with the 190.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/P-47_versus_FW-190.pdf

I think the "the engine seems to run veryr rough at all times" hints at some problems in the tested 190, as does P-47 out-accelerating and out-running it "very quickly" at low altitude. 

2 minutes ago, Talon_ said:

I believe the 56th also had many P-47Ms.

1 hour ago, johncage said:

you never realize how beautiful, sleep, and state of the art the f-22 looks until you put it next to that thing

If I ever had the chance to fly an F-22 or the P-47, the Jug  would win hands down.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

I think the "the engine seems to run veryr rough at all times" hints at some problems in the tested 190, as does P-47 out-accelerating and out-running it "very quickly" at low altitude. 

Agreed. However it doesnt state that the jug out accelerates it as far as I can tell, it says that the 190 gains ground first but the Jug eventually catches up and quickly overtakes it.

These to test were at 5,000 and 15,000 ft. It was only after the Jug was over 330mph that it was able to overtake the 190.

I do agree that a 190 in pristine condition would have much better results but from first hand accounts 190s weren't much trouble for careful P-47 pilots.

The D9 however will def be a handful.

Edited by Legioneod

14 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

I believe the 56th also had many P-47Ms.

Only in the last months of the war after all the teething problems were sorted out with the engine.  The D model was the one they scored the most with.

47 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Agreed. However it doesnt state that the jug out accelerates it as far as I can tell, it says that the 190 gains ground first but the Jug eventually catches up and quickly overtakes it.

These to test were at 5,000 and 15,000 ft. It was only after the Jug was over 330mph that it was able to overtake the 190.

I do agree that a 190 in pristine condition would have much better results but from first hand accounts 190s weren't much trouble for careful P-47 pilots.

The D9 however will def be a handful.

190 should be faster than 330 mph at 5000 ft, I also wonder how much faster exactly was "very quickly" that P-47 closed 2000 yds

36 minutes ago, LeLv76_Erkki said:

190 should be faster than 330 mph at 5000 ft, I also wonder how much faster exactly was "very quickly" that P-47 closed 2000 yds

I'm sure 330 wasn't the top speed at which the 190 was going, it just says that that is when the P-47 overshot it. As for how quickly it was your guess is as good as mine, their idea of quickly probably isnt the same as ours.

EDIT: Another thing to note is that the speeds given in the report are indicated not true air speed.

If these charts are anything to go by the P-47 and Fw190 speeds are very similar at 5000 ft, at 15,000ft the P-47 is at least 15mph faster than the Fw190.

Spoiler

p-47-level.jpgfw190a8-level.jpg

Edited by Legioneod

I would venture to say most American IL-2 players are pumped to see the P-51 mustang in game.  That is what I'm most looking forward to flying (in VR of course!).

Edited by AuburnAlumni

21 minutes ago, AuburnAlumni said:

I would venture to say most American IL-2 players are pumped to see the P-51 mustang in game.  That is what I'm most looking forward to flying (in VR of course!).

P-51 is cool no doubt but I can't really say that I'm excited for it, I'm more excited for the P-47 and P-38. P-51 is just kinda overhyped kinda like the 109. I much prefer the 190 and P-47, they both have very similar fighting styles and are excellent energy fighters.

The P-51C is my favorite, the razorback is just beautiful.

One thing I'm very interested in doing is having a mock dogfight between the P-51 and P-47, my friend loves the P-51 and I'm very curious to see how we stack up to each other in our favorite aircraft.

Spoiler

Air-to-Air-2010-05-05_P-51C_Mustang_5042

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, AuburnAlumni said:

Not going to lie I am absolutely pumped for BP. We're gunna have the p-38, p-39, p-40, p-47, and the p-51, that's a whole lot of American whoop ass right there. Can't forget the A20 either. So stoked for the p-51 in VR. I am also extremely excited for the Dora. That long nosed 190 is just too cool. I can't believe how freaking massive the p-47 is.

Just now, sevenless said:

p47.jpg

For a ground attack plane the A-36 had surprisingly good scores... Especially the LossRate is very low considering type of missions. Lower than for the later P-51 and air kills were just a nice extra.

I hope we will get the A-36 one day... She is a very interesting Mustang variant with few perks which were lost in later models.

35 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Interesting Infos. I found some additional stuff on US fighter-planes in WW2 ETO/MTO here:

P-51 Mustang vs Fw 190, Europe 1943-1945
by Martin Bowman, Osprey Publishing, Oxford, England, 2007

https://ospreypublishing.com/p-51-mustang-vs-fw-190-pb

p47.jpg

Wow, over 423,435 sorties and only 3,077 lost in combat that's pretty insane. P-51 is pretty impressive as well.

I wonder how many of these losses were due to ground fire? I'm guessing a majority were lost to ground fire and not enemy air.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Will we see the p-39 in BoBp? I mean I know we do have it with BoK, but I’m wondering if multiplayer servers will include other aircraft that might not be relevant time wise, but atleast were present in the area. 

Just now, angus26 said:

Will we see the p-39 in BoBp? I mean I know we do have it with BoK, but I’m wondering if multiplayer servers will include other aircraft that might not be relevant time wise, but atleast were present in the area. 

On some servers, like Berloga - probably yes. The P-39-L could be partially competitive up to 3-4km if the time-limiter would allow for a bit longer WEP. Unfortunately this will not happen, neither will the P-63 which would be a much better fit performance wise.

11 hours ago, angus26 said:

The only aircraft from the older expansions that might end up in western front servers are the A-20B (as a stand-in for French Bostons), the Stuka (already confirmed for pilot career), the 190A-5, maybe the Hs-129, and maybe the Ju-88. You obviously won't see any native Russian aircraft, the P-40E is well out of date by this point and the Spitfire VB would be hopelessly outclassed as a 1941 aircraft that can't carry bombs. Before it came out the devs also mentioned that we could get late war mods for the Bf-109G-6 once Bodenplatte gets close to release, similar to how the La-5 got an upgraded engine as Kuban-era aircraft started being released, so you might see that too