=BKHZ=Furbs

An idea...

A flightsim is a teamgame. It's about time developers realize this and implement VOIP just as in most other modern multiplayer-titles.

Even the most basic implementation would help teamplay a lot.

People have written plugins for TS in DCS allowing the channels to be switched using the radios in cockpit, so stuff like this sounds feasible.....but drat.....it means adding levels of complexity we know we aren't getting.

Regardless to what jason said about what BoS will be we really don't know what we are going to get with it..

Yes we do, we have been positively informed that for Bos we must set expectations away from fancy shmancy stuff, seems kind of ironic that you and Furbs are already starting to make demands for features that could cost this title out of existence.

That definition is soley in the hands of the devs though.. and frankly something like that would be better suited as a TS plug in IMO.. settable on the server side by channel.. like a "realistic" setting on the server that altered every transmission. You have a room for the riefing which is crystal clear and then you have tje combat room.. where every thing is under the other setting.. 

Yeah!......funny thing that, seems that 'suggesting' we have pits like CoD wasn't so well received.

That was because that issue had been literally beaten to death and we were told in no uncertain terms that whatever we get in BoS the cockpits will not have the fulllevel of fucntionality that they do in CoD..

Furbs we saw this all before, you make a suggestion followed by other posters who like the idea, this starts to snowball into popular thinking which sort of translates into popular demand, then Jason Williams, bearcat or FSM have to come in here and kick a little ass to remind us that what we can expect is purely what they can afford to do etc etc....

The bit in bold is just gold

Yes but there is no need to kick a little ace in most cases ... just a need to remind folks. The ace kicking comes in when threads wind up being locked or overrun by too much nonsense and stray too far off topic..  even after repeated intervention by moderators..

Teamspeak is good and I use it every time I fly online but there is a couple of things that could make the communications more "real" if implemented in-game.

Radio's can be implemented only in aircraft that actually had them.

In game the communications could be severed if  damage occurred to the raidio system or the player is killed /incapacitated.

Historic ranges, limitations and reception quality could be imposed,

The issue then arises when squads are using something like teamspeak? Would that then become cheating because you are bypassing the limitations implemented in game?

All interesting stuff.

Edited by Skoshi_Tiger
  • Upvote 1

Very good points... but I think that in game comms .. as good as they may be.. are probably low on the list of priorities given the widespread use of things like TS.. but a TS plug in would be interesting.. 

Regardless to what jason said about what BoS will be we really don't know what we are going to get with it..

That definition is soley in the hands of the devs though.. and frankly something like that would be better suited as a TS plug in IMO.. settable on the server side by channel.. like a "realistic" setting on the server that altered every transmission. You have a room for the riefing which is crystal clear and then you have tje combat room.. where every thing is under the other setting.. 

That was because that issue had been literally beaten to death and we were told in no uncertain terms that whatever we get in BoS the cockpits will not have the fulllevel of fucntionality that they do in CoD..

Yes but there is no need to kick a little ace in most cases ... just a need to remind folks. The ace kicking comes in when threads wind up being locked or overrun by too much nonsense and stray too far off topic..  even after repeated intervention by moderators..

I'm sure you're not just picking on me ;)

Not sure how an issue can be beaten to death on a forum as embryonic as this one.

Guys,

The number of users of comms who would want their comms to sound as bad as real 1940s radios is probably limited to the posters in this thread.

I know that none of my flying crew would go for it, and why should they when TS3 allows really great sound quality?

I do understand why some of you would think it's a good thing, but right now there are far bigger fish to fry. 

Edited by ElAurens

I'm sure you're not just picking on me ;)

Not sure how an issue can be beaten to death on a forum as embryonic as this one.

Nope.. not picking on you at all... In fact .. you mentioned me by name if I am not mistaken.. so I am just responding to you.. but the issue of CoD cockpits was beaten to death..

Because the majority of posters here are past the embryonic stage when it comes to IL-2. We're all pretty much veterans with this brand of sim because we've been with it pretty much since day one.

I'm just hopeful that we all can turn a new leaf and not fall into the same "childish" behaviour that plauged the Zoo and then the Bananna forums.

It's great to see so many familar names pop up here.

Anyway back to the topic. I use TS for all online gaming, I think for sanity sake Jason and crew should just get on with it and do thier thing with BoS, no need to complicate developement even further.

Edited by CoderX71

I wasnt thinking of making comms garbled or anything. Just have say a light radio static sound similar to that ts plug in that overlayed a radio sound. But having in game comms actually helps out the community. Take a game like the new planetside. Sure ts is used by alot of squads, but pubbies can just jump in together using i game comms to teamwork it up. I know they have crop tons of other work to do. This is all just conjecture and fancyful thinking. ;)

Edited by Hooves

Because the majority of posters here are past the embryonic stage when it comes to IL-2. We're all pretty much veterans with this brand of sim because we've been with it pretty much since day one.

I'm just hopeful that we all can turn a new leaf and not fall into the same "childish" behaviour that plauged the Zoo and then the Bananna forums.

It's great to see so many familar names pop up here.

Anyway back to the topic. I use TS for all online gaming, I think for sanity sake Jason and crew should just get on with it and do thier thing with BoS, no need to complicate developement even further.

I merely mentioned CoD cockpits, are we all veterans there too?

Nope.. not picking on you at all... In fact .. you mentioned me by name if I am not mistaken.. so I am just responding to you.. but the issue of CoD cockpits was beaten to death..

Yes, yes I did, simply in your capacity as a moderator and using an example of actions you may have to undertake, I had no idea I was directly involving you in any confrontations...sorry.

I think that such a feature doesn`t necessarily need to be implemented in the same specific manner. Video games now have quite a long history of voice communication, so even if a write chat comms are mandatory, there really is little sence in not giving players a type of a universal voice comm system. It is obvious that even if some people will not talk on comms, they will fly better having the same voice driven one sided info. It makes a world of difference.

Now, I do not know why people never used the built in voice comm system in IL2, but there is a reason for it I think?

I think that great voice comm system is what the new game has to have from the start.

Edited by Mac_Messer

The built in comms in original IL2 did not work at all well.

All of the "Teamspeak" type options were/are far better.

imo its a waste of time for the devs to do there own integrated voice comms, when we already have really good 3rd party voice comms in TS3. Why reinvent the wheel?

im a man of extras i dont mind the power of a car as long as it has many gadgets :)

S. all Gents.

First a little note:
I fly with the sound of the simulator (engine, cannons, flak, bullets hits...) through the speakers and the voice of my squad mates (TS3) through headphones, so that way I hear the sounds really from where they come.
Therefore:
One of the things I would like to see in BoS,is the possibility of separating the sound in various  channels, so I could listen the messages of the AI through headphones.

I think its a way to have a better "immersion" in the sim.

???

Yes we have TS, but this was a idea for those times when not everyone is on your TS.

If your on a server that didn't have a server TS or you joined a COOP with random people, the idea was it let you speak to close friendly aircraft...say up to 3km away to call warnings or link up.

The idea came to because plenty of times ive been taxiing for take off in my 109 and another 109 is also taking off and ive wanted to talk to him to link up for a sortie.

Anyway its just an idea.

Im sure Jason and Loft will know what they can or cant do in the time they have, if they like the idea but dont have the time it can go on the back burner.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it's just an idea that I would prefer they not waste any time developing.  They have 2 years until the planned release.  Add too many "it's just an idea" 's and you have CoD.  A product that you spent countless hours trashing.

• Upvote 1

If you don't want people to comment on your ideas you should send Jason a private message.

Comment on his ideas without pulling CLoD into it. This isn't a CLoD-board, and that crap should be left at the door.

I brought up CoD because it was appropriate.  In fact, I brought up an aspect of CoD that I'm quite sure furbs agreed with.

I do agree with the first part, though i think Jason and Loft know what they are doing, i would think they welcome ideas from anyone.

They have a plan and they will stick to it, if there is any wiggle room near the end of development they might add stuff in but only if it works, if ROF's development is anything to go by....they dont add stuff that is half finished, not needed or adds nothing to the overall sim.

Edited by Furbs

It's a nice function to have, for sure, but it's not something that's 100% needed. We'll have to see how it goes.

Furbs thats a great idea , that would be a very handy thing to have in this future sim.

• Upvote 1

I think some of you have pretty odd ideas about how much influence forum posts have. As a businessman I suspect we would all listen to customer ideas, but it sure wouldn't be the deciding factor on where that business went. That's a recipe for disaster, IMO. It is a good way to base customer interest though. Random ideas posted here hurt no one. Some are even pretty cool I think, but I doubt many get given a second thought by the developers. They know where they are going. It's up to us to just ride along.

• Upvote 1

I like and if they implement have a radio frequency for gen chat or if you fly close you can select a channel ( not used by commanders etc ) hit a show channel and the other pilot can scroll over your cockpit and see a close up of your pilot giving hand signals for the channel and then others can enter to talk to you. Maybe a later feature

Yes, it's just an idea that I would prefer they not waste any time developing.  They have 2 years until the planned release.  Add too many "it's just an idea" 's and you have CoD.  A product that you spent countless hours trashing.

This is unacceptable.

If you don't want people to comment on your ideas you should send Jason a private message.

That is not your call to make.

Comment on his ideas without pulling CLoD into it. This isn't a CLoD-board, and that crap should be left at the door.

No it is not and it doesnt matter whether this is a CoD board or not that drama WILL NOT HAVE A PLACE HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

I brought up CoD because it was appropriate.  In fact, I brought up an aspect of CoD that I'm quite sure furbs agreed with.

Bringing up CoD alone is not the issue.

INCOMING PM

I think some of you have pretty odd ideas about how much influence forum posts have. As a businessman I suspect we would all listen to customer ideas, but it sure wouldn't be the deciding factor on where that business went. That's a recipe for disaster, IMO. It is a good way to base customer interest though. Random ideas posted here hurt no one. Some are even pretty cool I think, but I doubt many get given a second thought by the developers. They know where they are going. It's up to us to just ride along.

I agree, pumping out ideas is just that...ideas...some may catch the devs eye, some not.

Most have prob been all ready talked about by themselves anyway, they are flight sim fans just like us.

Some ideas may be noted down and looked at a later date, maybe for patches or the next theater, anyway its promoting interest and talk on the boards, what can be the harm? as long as the developers keep in control and know what they are doing, which in this case with Jason and Loft i think is true.

Agreed...ideas are just the *community* thinking aloud. Fun, and sometimes productive.

A big difference between ideas and a feature list.

I see now, so it's more like making a suggestion to the devs, assisting them to make potential decisions for the development of the game, now if only there was a developer assistance section with a suggestions board.

Yes of course your right Bongo, it should of been posted in the other forum, but we already knew that....my bad...im sorry, maybe a MOD could move it pronto.

Edited by Furbs

It's ok Furbs.

I just thought I'd help you out a little, I'm sure you knew it already but you are such a silly sometimes and keep forgetting to post in the right place same with your BoS/Hyperlobby 'suggestion'.

Edited by bongodriver

Sorry, genuine mistake...lol...yep both should of gone there, thanks again for reminding me.

Mods...could someone please move the posts.

Edited by Furbs

It's ok Burfs.......sorry Furbs, this silly spelling of our names eh?

I just thought I'd help you out a little, I'm sure you knew it already but you are such a silly sometimes and keep forgetting to post in the right place same with your BoS/Hyperlobby 'suggestion'.

Ok.................................................................. both of you go to the corner..

Personally I think that having a radio frequency for each squadron would be a great idea, the thought of being able to communicate with other pilots in the same online squad and organize attacks/take off's and scrambles to me would be a big hit with most people.