=BKHZ=Furbs

An idea...

Was playing DayZ last night and they have a interesting feature called direct voice chat...it works like this... if you are in range, in DayZ is about 40 meters or something you can press the direct chat and speak to only those in range and not to everyone on the server...

Now i was thinking maybe that could be a idea for BOS, if you are in range...say...1 or 2 km you can press direct chat and speak to friendly aircraft nearby to give warnings or instructions.

I know we have TS for communication but i still think this could have its place, not everyone knows the TS of the server they have just joined, plus it could be useful for COOP's.

Of course you can turn it off as a option and also it could be controlled by the server.

Anyway...just a idea i had.

Edited by Furbs
  • Upvote 1

I'd be behind that Idea, not everyone has TS or similar, and from experince there is always those who has issues with any particular app (from running multiple MMO guilds and having to deal with this person cant use TS or that person can't use Mumble blah blah)

I can't see how a voice comm system can't be implemented these days, Valve games such as CS:S and DOD:S have had it for years. Also Eve Online, just to name a couple.

After all, these things of this period did for themost part have radio's. They should simulate that. Not seen that done before.

Good idea. Radio coms are fantastic to coordinate WWII tactics.

The radio telephones in plane should be at least be good enough for line of sight. If in-game radio communication were supplied It should be modeled with historical limitations

I use teamspeak a lot and it's good, I have a feeling that squads would continue to use teamspeak because it would cut down on "Chit Chat" during missions (Radio discipline is NOT universal online) and you can have a private channel to stop sneaky opposition evesdroping. I'm not sure of the filter name but a lot  of guys use a filter to give an "authentic" sound to their reception.

Edited by Skoshi_Tiger

I'm a bit on the fence about voicechats, depending on what type of game it's in.

For example, I ALWAYS disable voice in any FPS and MMO I install. Period. It's simply not interesting to listen to 5894.2 muppets wail, rant and froth at the mouth because they got killed etc. Then again, a system that you describe would be awesome for a sim-type game of this nature, especially given simmers severe focus on performance above all else (look at the debate of Steam being a requirement for CLoD, or how FSX'ers go nuts killing processes to eek out another 0.5fps). I'd have to actually try it out in BoS, if present, if I were to say aye or nay.

Could be good, could be bad. It'd also have to be limited to side, of course (blues can yak at blues, reds at reds etc)

Yeah it could be a good thing to have such a feature, a lot of games do now so long as you don't get the idiots you often come across on games like Call of Duty who think everyone really wants to hear their choice of music or listen to them sing their favourite song or fancy themselves as an in game DJ :) a mute button next to each players name in the player list would fix that though

I agree with the above poster, if they include such a thing, I would ask that it be easily turned off, I don't EVER use public voice chat features if I can help it, in fact, I have stopped playing a few games because I can't even disable the text chat window (Counter-strike GO).

I actually really like this idea. It would allow quick coordination between publics, and a quick mute feature could keep the spam muppets at bay. If a "radio" effect was added in with the comms that would also be cool although it would have to be quite subtle. Overall good idea OP!

Edited by Hooves

Performance wise, most external comms systems use a failry small amountof overhead to run I find. I have never found it adversly effect any game I have played, be it FPS, Simming or MMOs. I do a lot of Iracing and it has a built in Voice system, and it comes witha function to mute it (as well as text chat) when racing. However I find it invaluable in traffic.

You'll always get the odd numbnut that wants to talk talk talk and rage and carry on with crap. Thats why i mute even text chat in the I MMORPG's  play.

The OP's model would be an improvement, so you don't have to hear some nitwit 20kms carrying on about why he cant fly his 190 on this map or tell you stuff about his girlfriend or whatever.

For Squadrons however, external is still the way to go, dedicated channels, no external interference, and with TS, Vent, Mumble and even that Raidcall app there are plenty of solid options. Options however is the operable word and a built in optional, mute-able comms wouldnt hurt. Since I have no squadron to fly with, easlily accesible public comms would help at times.

Edited by Monk

Yes, keep TS for general use, i was more thinking of it coming in handy for them times where you meet a friendly aircraft already in enemy airspace, or the time when you spawn to take off and there is another aircraft doing the same, allowing you to link up and fly a sortie together....hence the range limit.

Agree on the option to turn on/off or mute certain players.

Didn't IL2 have built in voice chat? In fact I think it gets recorded with tracks.. or it did at one time.. Back then it was too much of a drain on the resources but now I wonder if it would be different.. Back in the day we used Roger Wilco.. Then Ventrillo... Then TS..

I like the idea of when joining sides in multiplayer you don't just click on an airbase and fly Russian or German, instead you join a squadron and the aircraft skins and markings represent that squadron, Maybe then you could have a voice channel that only squadron members could here. I don't think this would be hard to achieve but would make the game far more immersive IMHO.

• Upvote 1

I remember wishing for AI ground control to do something like that in SoW.  Having them vector you onto incoming aircraft, but other players at a distance would not hear it, and they'd get their own messages.

I remember wishing for AI ground control to do something like that in SoW.  Having them vector you onto incoming aircraft, but other players at a distance would not hear it, and they'd get their own messages.

Yeah, I seem to remember there was mention of something along those lines that didn't make it into the game, but a good idea nevertheless.

People have written plugins for TS in DCS allowing the channels to be switched using the radios in cockpit, so stuff like this sounds feasible.....but drat.....it means adding levels of complexity we know we aren't getting.

People have written plugins for TS in DCS allowing the channels to be switched using the radios in cockpit, so stuff like this sounds feasible.....but drat.....it means adding levels of complexity we know we aren't getting.

Well we don't anything yet, Jason still seems to be more than open to ideas. 

i would love integrated coms simulating the real thing

i dont think im the only too lazy one to use it as it is now :)

Well we don't anything yet, Jason still seems to be more than open to ideas. 

Yes we do, we have been positively informed that for Bos we must set expectations away from fancy shmancy stuff, seems kind of ironic that you and Furbs are already starting to make demands for features that could cost this title out of existence.

I don't see demands, I see suggestions and ideas here and on this forum generally.

Some of which may or may not be feasible upfront, some of which may come later on according to time/finances/interest.

A good thing.

Yeah!......funny thing that, seems that 'suggesting' we have pits like CoD wasn't so well received.

Don't bite.

Nothing to bite over though is there.....I am stating facts.

Edited by bongodriver

It never hurts to put out a suggestion as long as it stays that way, and doesnt morph into a demand.  I think it would be a great in game feature, seperate from TS.  Thats the best way to ensure public teamwork.

It never hurts to put out a suggestion as long as it stays that way, and doesnt morph into a demand.  I think it would be a great in game feature, seperate from TS.  Thats the best way to ensure public teamwork.

Absolutely!!

As far as I remember the line was something like that they were refining existing things and building a lot of new systems for BoS - you can probably think of some fairly obvious ones - and that there was already a large workload adding bits and pieces to properly transform RoF into a WW2 sim.  I think it might help to look at the kind of work they put in year in year out on RoF though -

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=34574

There are something like 200 items in a single year added or changed, with one (gunnery system changes and weapon mods) being provided to everyone free.

I don't recall them saying they wouldn't take any advice on new features or whatever, just that they were going to be flat out implementing what they'd already drawn up to do.  I don't see the harm in suggesting new ideas on the forum, and who knows, maybe your idea is close enough to what they're already doing to be a simple "gimme" feature.

Still I am sure the "oh no they will change nothing at all, abloobloobloo" posts are a source of amusement for 1cgs.

Ok, just this once Bongo.... can you show where in my OP i demanded anything?

Pretty sure the title of the post says "An idea" not a "demand"

Edited by FlatSpinMan
EDITED FOR GRAMMAR (ENGLISH TEACHER - CAN'T HELP MYSELF, SORRY)

Yes we do, we have been positively informed that for Bos we must set expectations away from fancy shmancy stuff, seems kind of ironic that you and Furbs are already starting to make demands for features that could cost this title out of existence.

No demands here Bongo, just ideas, I don't state anywhere that I demand to have voice comms? Just like I never 'demanded' anything from Cliffs of Dover

Have a good day. 

Edited by FlatSpinMan
REMOVED INCENDIARIES.

Ok, just this once Bongo.... can you show where in my OP i demanded anything?

Furbs we saw this all before, you make a suggestion followed by other posters who like the idea, this starts to snowball into popular thinking which sort of translates into popular demand, then Jason Williams, bearcat or FSM have to come in here and kick a little ass to remind us that what we can expect is purely what they can afford to do etc etc....

No demands here Bongo, just ideas, I don't state anywhere that I demand to have voice comms? Just like I never 'demanded' anything from Cliffs of Dover

Have a good day. 

The bit in bold is just gold

Edited by FlatSpinMan
REMOVED QUOTED INCENDIARY.

No Bongo, you said Tree and myself "demanded" it.

My post says "idea"

Edited by FlatSpinMan
EDITED FOR REASONS OF PEACE AND HAPPINESS:)

Edited by FlatSpinMan
ADDED NOTHING. THE ABSENCE SHALL PASS UNNOTICED AND UNMOURNED.

No demand in the original post that I could see. I guess if one were to criticize it, one could say that this thread belongs in the Suggestions section of the Developer's assistance forum rather than here, but one finds it hard to keep posting in a quasi-3rd person style and thus loses all concentration.

NB: Some "IMPROVING" of the thread has been done to remove unnecessary comments.

No demand in the original post that I could see. I guess if one were to criticize it, one could say that this thread belongs in the Suggestions section of the Developer's assistance forum rather than here, but one finds it hard to keep posting in a quasi-3rd person style and thus loses all concentration.

NB: Some "IMPROVING" of the thread has been done to remove unnecessary comments.

Yes, no verbatim 'demands' were made, but I explained comprehensively how these ideas become popular demands, that's all I meant.

Hi BD, well, he phrased it as a suggestion so I call it legit (although, as said above, maybe worth moving to another forum). A suggestion being popular doesn't automatically translate into it becoming an official community demand (or even basic requirement) plus the usual 30 more crappy moves later in the square.

@Furbs and bongodriver - just ignore each other. It works pretty well. You both have things to say but can't seem to get past each other. Just use the ignore function and move your life on to broad, sunlit uplands.

Oh I still live in hope Furbs will get past his own prejudice, I try to be nice, I don't think it's a hard written rule friends need to agree with each other all the time.

Do you think it would be a better idea to have channels? Or just keep it as a pseudo single channel "range" idea. I mean I see the merits to both, radio freqs being the more realistic yet more complicated feature, and "range" being pub friendly. Or heck how about both! I guess radios had their ranges no matter what the freq. Would be a cool feature. And if not implemented, could be third party implemented with say a Mumble plug in. But usually people stick to TS and dont go beyond its instant perfect communication quality. Hence why I think it should be in game.

Great topic though, bar the jousting.

BTW does anybody have any evidence of IL2 doing it early on? is it just in version 1.0? hmm that would be fun to mess with.

Edited by Hooves

I think Hooves where it would work best would be for people who are not in sqds or use TS, they just pop in servers for a quick sortie or join the odd COOP.

It would also help bring pilots together, join sqds, that sort of thing.

Though it would work for TS users too, if they met somebody else on not on TS.

I hadn't thought of the channels thing, i was just thinking about the direct chat with friendly aircraft close by.

Good "idea" though.

... And if not implemented, could be third party implemented with say a Mumble plug in...

I remember a few years ago suggesting something similar on the Ubi forums. Making the radio communication less than perfect and sounding like someone talking into an oxygen mask mic. That got idea got shot down pretty quickly. We all have our preferences when it comes to "realism" I guess. Still I like the idea.

I remember a few years ago suggesting something similar on the Ubi forums. Making the radio communication less than perfect and sounding like someone talking into an oxygen mask mic. That got idea got shot down pretty quickly. We all have our preferences when it comes to "realism" I guess. Still I like the idea.

Got to admit I like that idea too, the crisp clear comms just feels out of place.