HenFre

Bump map?

Hello

I have a question regarding the bump map of the skin. I have downloaded a 4k skin of the Bf 109 E-7 and I don't know if I have to download the bump map also or if it is integrated into the skin itself? Might be a stupid question in that case sorry for asking :wacko:

17 minutes ago, HenFre said:

Hello

I have a question regarding the bump map of the skin. I have downloaded a 4k skin of the Bf 109 E-7 and I don't know if I have to download the bump map also or if it is integrated into the skin itself? Might be a stupid question in that case sorry for asking :wacko:

Having the right 4K bumpmap for the skin will add greatly.

It goes in data/graphics/Planes/Bf109E7/Textures

You can crate a folder there (call it original or something like) and put in the old bumpmap as a back up.

WARNING - some 3rd party templates differ from the game's original. ICDPs do tend to match up very well.  In some cases that means that hatches and panel lines are in different places. As such whilst you 4K map will look great with the skin its made for, it may not look so good with another skin.

This is were OvGME or JSGME can really help since a click of a mouse can allow you to swap stuff in and out as you please. 

• Like 1

@BOO

Thanks, but you just gave me a lot of new questions: IDSP? OvGME? JSGME? And what is the difference between the folders planes/textures and skins?

@HenFre

ICDP is one of the main creators of the 4k templates, there are others such a BlackHellHound (Bf109Fs), A-E Hartman (P40 and I think also 109E), 5kuka (JU87 and 52), Zargos (P39 and LA5FN) and RaFiGer (109 G4 and 6)......... forgive me those I cannot recall

The way it works is a skin is given its alpha layer (matte and reflective surfaces) when its created. This is effectively the paint and varnish of a painting. The normal map (bump) is created separately and that sits on the basic 3D model and provides all the small lumps and bumps. If you like you could say its the fine texture, like the canvas of a painting. The current trend is to matte the skins down but keeping a little shine brings out subtle details in the normal map like stressed metal effects.  

the difference is between the folders is that one is a general repository (skins) from which the game can choose skins and the other (Planes) is a smaller stock of things the game will use as a default and presumably access with less performance impact. I don't know for sure but I think the normal map you choose to have locally will be used for every plane of that type but the default skin (which is also there but you cant see cos its hidden) can be swapped by the game if a mission maker has specified different skins (and you have them) or in multiplayer someone is using a different skin AND the server is allowing skin sharing AND you also have the box checked in options AND you also have the same skin stored. 

Ovgme and jsgme are file swapping programs. they are used to enable and disable mods but have other uses such as swapping in skins and controller profiles. Any swaps must be done prior to starting the game. In my case I use it for mods but I also have skin packs. So if I want to fly a skin made by A-E Hartman I don't have to worry about it not matching the default normal map because both files are swapped when I choose it. In short its just a big clever cut and paste but with the advantage that everything you change is backed up and will be replaced when you deselect the mod. I use OvGME. JSGME is used more because people are creatures of habit and since its older are most used to it. Although its not supported by its creator it isn't broken and is perfectly fine. I'm not sure about JSGME but OvGME isn't fussy about where you keep your files and backups- this means I can store them on my one drive and have a little insurance against a local SSD failure. 

The main deal with them is that you can disable them (and automatically save them) before updating the game (well you could if you know an update is coming!!) -because the process is quick and easy, I habitually disable all my mods (when I finish playing) and tend not to enable them in the next session until I'm assured there are no updates queuing. There is of course other ways you can back up your settings but since I have Ovgme this is the habit ive formed. 

• Like 1