Jason_Williams

Jason's Quick Guide to 3.001 Graphics Smoothness

Tips to find Maximum Smoothness:

1.  In the Settings screen set Vsync On (to prevent screen tears), Full Screen Off (it’s not necessary so long as you set your resolution to the same res of your monitor) and 4K Textures On (likely not notice any difference in performance, but fix a stutter).

2. In the Settings screen set the preset to Balanced, set your Distant Landscape Detail to Normal and Horizon Draw Distance to 40km and Cloud Quality to Low.

3. In the Game screen set the Map Scenery Distance to 50km.

4.  Everything else can be on or off and set how you like.

5. If you have a G-Sync or Free-Sync monitor turn that On and leave all other settings set to Let Application decide. The only exception is (if available) set the video card power setting to Prefer Maximum Performance, not Adaptive or Low etc.  

6. In Windows set your computer power supply to use Maximum, not Balanced or Energy Saver.  

NOTE: The 4K Textures option seems to cause stuttering if turned OFF. Turning it ON seems to solve the issue, especially on higher resolution like 4K (3840 x 2160). The team is aware of this issue and will look into it more in the future. You want 4K textures on anyways to see 4K skins. Rendering 4K textures seem to have little if any impact on performance so just use it.

NOTE: We recommend not using SweetFX injector with Sturmovik any longer. Our tests show that it can induce some micro-stuttering.

Testing:

Run a heavy QMB x16 fighter plane dogfight mission over the Kuban coast and check for performance. Avoid using bombers for testing as they hit CPU harder than normal and loads fluctuate a lot. If frames are smooth start increasing the settings above one by one, but always leave point 1 above alone once you set it. 

Conclusion:

Our Sturmovik has been highly optimized during the Kuban development cycle, but this update has pushed the limits of our terrain, clouds and sky rendering. There are bound to be some challenges to some user’s performance. As is normal for this hobby and PC gaming in general, try to buy the most powerful gear you can to have the best performance possible. 

NOTE: I fly using a monitor mostly. Flying in VR takes a lot more horsepower for high frame-rate so you may need to lower certain settings. You shoule NEVER expect frame-rate in VR to be the same as using a monitor because everything has to be drawn twice. 

And the fact is, some users with older gear, may just need to run with lower settings in some areas. Not everyone can run at maximum visuals or settings. Find the best balance for you and enjoy flying. 

Jason 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 10
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 19

Posted (edited)

Thanks for this guide, and thanks again for listening to the concerns of us users. This type and speed of responsiveness is rare in the game world.

And I did see improvements after disabling full screen. TrackIR became smoother when panning around.

Edited by engrish_major

Posted (edited)

Jason,

Has your team been able to verify if SLI still works when not in Full Screen mode?   (If you are not in Full Screen, you will never get the SLI visual indicator, so I really don't know if SLI is enabled in windowed mode or not)

Edited by SeaSerpent
typo

Posted (edited)

If you guys are having Aliasing issues when looking at planes against clouds I would suggest turning the cloud detail up to its highest setting.  

Note that I play with AntiAliasing turned off, and I am not sure if that setting is a factor in my above recommendation. 

also,

Does anyone happen to know how to mitigate the FPS drop that is caused by toggling the hud either on or off? I think it my be dependent on the number of objects in the scene (planes, trucks, tanks etc.). thanks in advanced

Edited by =SqSq=switch201

I also had a small amount of stuttering, this fixed it.

I haven't used SweetFx for some time now.

Does Reshade 3 cause issues too? I use it with just Lumasharpen currently.

I've been doing some more testing tonight and there's something that folks who are having stutters like I am should have a look at. VRAM size. My GTX 960 has 2GB and when I started seeing a lot more stutter (even with high frame rates) I decided to have a look and it seems like a lot of my stutter is just what the game does when I'm maxing the VRAM out. The increase draw distance and probably added effect complexity are all taking up a lot of room in the VRAM. Go from 2x to 4x AA and suddenly Windows reports that I'm right at the ceiling.

Probably means I need a new card with more available memory.

Posted (edited)

I cant live without reshade guys, the colors are still wrong and my monitor is calibrated using a hardware tool, can you confirm if reshade have te same problem as sweetfx? 

Guys reshade is the problem,  pleasew uninstall it all, removed that program and stutter is gone now, and UI responsive again... Jason could yo plaease add in the future something that allow us to tune the colors of the game? right now is better than before byt still colors are wrong :(

Edited by SJ_Butcher

I’m the launcher, it shows that full screen allow better performance. It’s not true anymore?

I'm told by our Lead Engineer that SLI works in windowed mode as well. 

There should really be no advantage of using Full Screen over Windowed at this point.

And our colors are fine for most users and is how we like them. We will probably not release anything special to tweak the colors. We have no such tool for you I'm sorry.

Stuttering can indeed be caused by Vram having to swap out textures a lot. 2Gb of Vram is kinda small by today's standards.

Jason

I did notice the improvement that's just butter smooth now!

I use the opportunity to ask about Sparse grid supersampling, I used to have it (via Nvidia inspector) to get rid of the shimmering on the ground but since the update it's messing with the water.

Here's what it looks like :

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1332225923

Despite the slight loss of FPS this has always been and is still a must have for me and probably others to push to the game to perfection on a visual level.

Is there is a way to fix this on my end? If not I hope you can find a solution.

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Stuttering can indeed be caused by Vram having to swap out textures a lot. 2Gb of Vram is kinda small by today's standards.

Some of us are stuck with such GPUs... the option to down-sample textures (or to force compression) would be very welcome.

Edited by Ehret

Reshade is fine, runs like butter on high even on my toaster.

3 hours ago, Ace_Pilto said:

Reshade is fine, runs like butter on high even on my toaster.

To me reshape introduced a lot of stutter in UI, not in-game. But UI started to lag and be unresponsive

Hey @Jason_Williams, please remind me: does disabling supersampling in the nVidia control panel still enable it inside the game? 

Posted (edited)

Ok, just tested some. Specs in .sig, using latest drivers for everything. Running 1080p on a Gsync (enabled) 27" monitor.

Clean install. (saved inputs folder/skins/career/etc...)

1) Removed reShade completely.

2) Settings, all maxed, Fullscreen OFF, Filtering setting to Blurred, Sharpen ON, everything else ON/Maxed.

3) Turned off 2 x Sparse grid supersampling

FPS is fine, seems like always above 80, usually in the low 100s, like 110/120. This is with many planes, but I didn't test under all conditions, I'm sure there could be more fps taxing scenarios.

1) I get the jagged planes silhouetted over clouds problem.

2) No texture tearing over water. I DID have this issue with  2 x Sparse grid supersampling enabled.

3) The in-game map and icons still stutter when turning them on/off. BUT this only happens in Career mode not Quick mission. Server side issue maybe?

4) I only noticed a small micro-stutter right after the in-air flight began, after that smooth.

Without 2 x Sparse grid supersampling the ground definitely shimmers more, even with using Blurred filtering.

The color scheme is not as "rich or vibrant" as I liked with reShade, but I suppose I could live with it if I have to.

Now, I'll try adding reShade back in the mix and see how it goes.

Edited by AstroCat

One thing i noticed with G-Sync. I had to use v-sync ON also with 2.012 to prevent screen tearing. Now with 3.01 v-sync ON caused a lot of stutters. So i tested it with Fullscreen ON and V-sync disabled...and G-Sync ON fullscreen mode. No stutters anymore and no screen tearing thanks to G-sync. Gameplay has totally changed.  I don´t know what have changed with the game mechanics but now it´s working like it should be!! 

Only minor stutters if there is lot of ground forces near....maybe Devs could check if there´s a any change to optimize ground objects. ;)

For the cloud/plane pixelation...

One thing I noticed was if I turned off Antialaising - Gamma Correction in the Nvidia Control Panel it seems to have helped a bit.

1 hour ago, Hartigan said:

One thing i noticed with G-Sync. I had to use v-sync ON also with 2.012 to prevent screen tearing. Now with 3.01 v-sync ON caused a lot of stutters. So i tested it with Fullscreen ON and V-sync disabled...and G-Sync ON fullscreen mode. No stutters anymore and no screen tearing thanks to G-sync. Gameplay has totally changed.  I don´t know what have changed with the game mechanics but now it´s working like it should be!! 

Only minor stutters if there is lot of ground forces near....maybe Devs could check if there´s a any change to optimize ground objects. ;)

Hi Hartigan,

Thnx for the info. Are you referring to the G-sync settings in the Nvidia control? Currently i use the windowed or fullscreen setting. Is that not correct?

Grt M

Posted (edited)

Jason, do i understand correctly, that turning on v-sync as you suggested has nothing to do with 4k texture bug and as im using g-sync monitor, i can leave v-sync off?

Edited by Hot_Dog

Even using a G-Sync On, you should keep V-Sync On. It fires when generated FPS overshoot the max capacity of your screen.

5 minutes ago, I./ZG1_Martijnvdm said:

Hi Hartigan,

Thnx for the info. Are you referring to the G-sync settings in the Nvidia control? Currently i use the windowed or fullscreen setting. Is that not correct?

Grt M

Yes, i enable g-sync from the desktop right click and nvidia settings. It might work just fine with both options. But if you play IL2 with a fullscreen mode it´s good to leave only for that specific mode. You cannot go wrong with that .  I might have some issues with monitor because noticed max 60 fps in game menu when testing with windowed mode :huh: I checked from monitor setup that it´s really working 144hz. With my experience windowed mode is not an option... 

Im sure those who use standard 60hz/ (or monitor without g-sync) will find Jason´s guide helpfull. 

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Hey @Jason_Williams, please remind me: does disabling supersampling in the nVidia control panel still enable it inside the game? 

Luke,

You don't need supersampling. Just leave extra Nvidia stuff out of the equation. As I showed you before at your house, piling on forced Nvidia settings, just slows things down. Just puts a wet blanket on the rendering. Plus  you are running 4K, you don't need all that anyways. 

Jason

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, -IRRE-Biluf said:

Even using a G-Sync On, you should keep V-Sync On. It fires when generated FPS overshoot the max capacity of your screen.

You can use external fps limiter. I use Nvidia inspector fps limiter V2 (scroll down fps limiter option to see V2) to limit it 141 fps with 144hz. You might need v-sync with g-sync if you still find screen tearing. 3.001 fixed that at my end. 

(edit) ingame v-sync seems to be the best option. Nvidia v-sync caused stutters

Edited by Hartigan

22 minutes ago, Hartigan said:

Yes, i enable g-sync from the desktop right click and nvidia settings. It might work just fine with both options. But if you play IL2 with a fullscreen mode it´s good to leave only for that specific mode. You cannot go wrong with that .  I might have some issues with monitor because noticed max 60 fps in game menu when testing with windowed mode :huh: I checked from monitor setup that it´s really working 144hz. With my experience windowed mode is not an option... 

Im sure those who use standard 60hz/ (or monitor without g-sync) will find Jason´s guide helpfull. 

Thnx. I will try both options. 

Grt M

55 minutes ago, -IRRE-Biluf said:

Dissagree, it may cause problems to have ingame v-sync on while using g-sync. And for preventing monitor overshot, im using ingame fps limiter set on 120hz, really dont need more...

I have a GTX 780 and yesterday I managed to remove most of the stuttering by disabling some things in the NVIDA control panel. It's still there, but runs x10 better now. I'm still rolling on the older driver variant for the 780 to make it compatible. But the 780 horses through any game or anything I throw at it at max. So I haven't found the need to part ways with it yet. I usually keep my settings at max and locked at 60FPS, since it's all I need for my 60hz monitor.  What I changed in BOX was as advised:

Running in Windows Mode - 1920 x 1080

Checked V sync

Using 4k textures

using 100km Draw Distance

Ultra Clouds(Still untested) - still honing my skills with the P-39 to find time to try.

Everything else maxed and checked

I made the Nvida Control panel changes after I still noticed quiet a bit of stuttering with the settings above; after the control panel changes were I made, I gained Significant performance. I don't remember, what was changed and can not look since I'm currently at work. But since I found the panel in it's self unnecessary, I just started disabling as much as I could.  

Also just for the record, I have not felt the need to over clock anything since the  4+ years I've had it. It's ALL AT BASE CLOCK. Since I live pretty comfortably at 60fps. But may consider it soon to maintain play-ability with this title as it improves. (This is the game I spend most of my time in) So I try to prioritize it over any other title. It's been pretty smooth with the older driver, other than the occasional crash. But not crashing often enough to bother me.

GTX 780 SC
i7 4770k
Asus Saber-tooth z87

Corsair H100i

16GB RAM

Please feel free the Message me directly if there is anything else needed. IE - Screen shots, Videos, Dumps, Clock rates, Control Panel Settings.
Sorry for the repost had some issues.

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Luke,

You don't need supersampling. Just leave extra Nvidia stuff out of the equation. As I showed you before at your house, piling on forced Nvidia settings, just slows things down. Just puts a wet blanket on the rendering. Plus  you are running 4K, you don't need all that anyways. 

Jason

Ok man, thanks, I just wanted to be sure. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

For sure. This and another recent title update have forced me to realize that my 960 is becoming a little inadequate if I want to run at max. It's been doing well up until now so it was a bit of a shocker but now I know what upgrade I need to do.

15 hours ago, Ehret said:

Some of us are stuck with such GPUs... the option to down-sample textures (or to force compression) would be very welcome.

For now all but one aircraft are still using the lower res textures. And even then the textures aren't really what seems to be the thing that's sucking up VRAM. It's things like the increased draw distance and adding on effects. Think of these things as costing you a bit of VRAM each time you enable one. Enable too many and your bank account is 0 which is definitely a major contributing factor for performance issues.

There's the weirdness with 4K textures on improving performance which I'm hoping they will figure out eventually.

The rest we have good tools to work with. A slightly lower graphics option, reduce AA, etc. will get good performance. I spent another few hours tweaking last night and it looks like I can do Ultra with 70km draw distance so long as AA is at 2x (and not 4x) and I keep things like sharpening and terrain texture draw distance at their defaults. Add those in and it puts me over the top.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive

First of all let me say that I really appreciate the patience an effort of all developers, testers and rest of the team. Thank you very much, BUT, in the other hand, as I've said in other thread I have 20 fps in career mode. I have no fps problems in QM even with 16 bombers at the same time. Yes, I play VR but I recently bought a Asus Gefore 1070 Ti, 16 Gb RAM, and an Intel Core i7-7820X @3,6Ghz processor to play with my VR glasses. Maybe it's not the best rig but definetely it's not bad either, imho. As I've read, there are people with much lower configs wich are not suffering any problems with the last update, so I must think there must be something else besides not meeting a high end computer. I don't know. I played with all maxed out so far. It's a big leap to 20 fps with lower settings... When I toggle tags over objects (i default key) there's a small freeze, as well (but ONLY in career mode)

I've tested almost everythind you suggest in several threads: updating drivers, oculus trytool, bios overclocking, overclocking tools, win 10 performance tips, reinstalling the game, nvcp, vsync on, 4k textures on, and lowering settings to the minimum but there's no a big improvement, so that's why I thing there must be something else.

Don't let me be misunderstood, I wouldn't like to appear like a thoughtless person, but  the conclusion shouldn't be that I'll have to buy a new graphic card with each update to being able to play decently, specially when my computer is almost brand new and I've had no performance problems until two days ago. I really hope you can sort this out with furthers hotfixes/updates. I would really apreciate that, since I can't play right now, and as most of you already know, playing IL2 with VR is extremly addictive. 

Thanks again for your patience.

My specs: windows 10 x64, 16 Gb RAM, Asus Gefore 1070 Ti, Intel Core i7-7820X @3,6Ghz, Oculus Rift

Posted (edited)
On 15/03/2018 at 8:53 PM, Jason_Williams said:

Conclusion:

Our Sturmovik has been highly optimized during the Kuban development cycle, but this update has pushed the limits of our terrain, clouds and sky rendering. There are bound to be some challenges to some user’s performance. As is normal for this hobby and PC gaming in general, try to buy the most powerful gear you can to have the best performance possible. 

NOTE: I fly using a monitor mostly. Flying in VR takes a lot more horsepower for high frame-rate so you may need to lower certain settings. You shoule NEVER expect frame-rate in VR to be the same as using a monitor because everything has to be drawn twice. 

And the fact is, some users with older gear, may just need to run with lower settings in some areas. Not everyone can run at maximum visuals or settings. Find the best balance for you and enjoy flying. 

Jason 

Well, to me this is quite a strange conclusion. For what I'm concerned, I know very well that with my rig I cannot have everything maxed out. But, how about all the others

who have cutting-edge rigs and complaining about the same issues? And why can I fly offline very smoothly with almost no performance loss, but online it is unplayable?

Sorry, but to me it's hard to believe that nobody of the testers didn't notice any performance issues... or do they all have some monster rigs? I don't know, but to me it

doesn't seem that this update was thoroughly tested. That's what it looks like to me, sorry. Still appreciate the hard work done by your team though.

Cheerio

PS: I wish I could revert to 2.012, alas this won't be possible... Silly me I bought the early access BOBP just before installing update 3.001! Stupid!

Edited by EAF_T_Therion
  • Upvote 1

Setting the limiter to 30fps and dynamic resolution to 0.9 eased all this. I tried v-sync related options from the GPU panel, but they only apply to the full-screen and it sets its own, unchangeable, refresh-rate for some reason. So only the border-less mode for me, for now.

I don't buy it is just "higher load on your graphics" dilemma - between stutters animation is very smooth. The stutters are ruining everything with big jerks every few seconds. I have noticed brief but very hard fps (like from 45fps to 15fps!) reductions for not apparent reasons, too.

I guess that the 4K options may help, because it changed memory management in some way, in order to handle bigger textures.

5 hours ago, EAF_T_Therion said:

Well, to me this is quite a strange conclusion. For what I'm concerned, I know very well that with my rig I cannot have everything maxed out. But, how about all the others

who have cutting-edge rigs and complaining about the same issues? And why can I fly offline very smoothly with almost no performance loss, but online it is unplayable?

Sorry, but to me it's hard to believe that nobody of the testers didn't notice any performance issues... or do they all have some monster rigs? I don't know, but to me it

doesn't seem that this update was thoroughly tested. That's what it looks like to me, sorry. Still appreciate the hard work done by your team though.

Cheerio

PS: I wish I could revert to 2.012, alas this won't be possible... Silly me I bought the early access BOBP just before installing update 3.001! Stupid!

A small team testing on a small number of rigs may not run into the kinds of problems that releasing to the public have. There are some odd performance issues here and there (high or low end) that I'm experiencing and others are experiencing. Then there are some other folks who seem to be having no problems at all.

I've done a lot of work to get things just right and now I think I've got it. Things are running really smoothly.

We'll get through this. We have this every patch but its a little more magnified here when we're dealing with a major change to so many different areas.

2 hours ago, Ehret said:

Setting the limiter to 30fps and dynamic resolution to 0.9 eased all this. I tried v-sync related options from the GPU panel, but they only apply to the full-screen and it sets its own, unchangeable, refresh-rate for some reason. So only the border-less mode for me, for now.

I don't buy it is just "higher load on your graphics" dilemma - between stutters animation is very smooth. The stutters are ruining everything with big jerks every few seconds. I have noticed brief but very hard fps (like from 45fps to 15fps!) reductions for not apparent reasons, too.

I guess that the 4K options may help, because it changed memory management in some way, in order to handle bigger textures.

When I realized that it may be a VRAM issue more than anything that sorted out a lot of stuff. The rest of the GPU pipeline is doing well but when you hit the limit and then it starts swapping stuff in and out of memory you can have lots of smooth moments followed by a stutter fest. That keyed me into what the problem might be and keeping a small overhead available seems to have solved the majority of my issues.

Have you followed the guide above? The 4K textures on seems to be the lynch-pin for me. Turn it on and problem solved. Off and the really bad stutters appear again.

The multiplayer issues I think are a separate issue that don't have anything to do with graphics either and that was there before this patch.

After testing on different computers, I have reached the following conclusions:

• The GPU is hit harder than before (my MacBook Pro with R9 M370X graphics no longer gives good performance)
  • Certain modes (career and multiplayer) sometimes have significant performance issues, while quick missions are generally stable
  • Some graphics settings have very large performance impacts

Therefore, I recommend thoroughly testing all settings and game modes before giving up.

Posted (edited)

The 4K option helps, definitely. Setting clouds to medium and shadows to low improves performance by some amount, but isn't too distracting. At least for me, after few minutes it stops being noticeable. The HDR may go but it will need tweaking brightness a bit.

Limiting your FPS to 30 makes stutters much less irritating, but at cost of the smoothness. IMHO, lower but steady fps is better than the inverse. (especially in a sim)

Edited by Ehret

Posted (edited)

Thanks.

How do we remove ReShade 3.0?

Edited by PA_Spartan-

Posted (edited)

Hi ShamrockOneFive,

Thanks for your comment. I love your Stormbirds website and I regularly follow your contributions and comments there.

I don't want to bash anyone here and I'm very well aware that our community has some very different setups of HW -

some are more blessed than others. And I generally appraise the good work and the enthusiasm of the dev team.

They delivered - until now - very good and steady work...

As for this big update I'm quite upset to be honest. A lot of people are reporting nearly the same issues, some with

older systems, others with midrange systems like I have and some other with nearly brand-new and cutting-edge

systems and we keep getting answers like lower your configuration etc. and even a statement like "it's been always

there and probably won't change"... Are you serious? It's like telling a car customer who's complaining about the

missing 5th gear and he's told: "Na, it's there but actually never worked, but you didn't noticed until now."

My big problem with this attitude is, that I don't feel taken seriously and I am not a whiner - I know very well how

IT projects work and how the may fail. You mentioned the small dev team and their limitations - that's OK and

I know they can't do miracles (although they already did in the past). BUT I also noticed quite a lot of forum

members with their "Tester"-Tag - didn't they run the beta testing? You see, I'm quite puzzled.

Again, thanks to all of you.

Cheerio

Edited by EAF_T_Therion
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, EAF_T_Therion said:

BUT I also noticed quite a lot of forum

members with their "Tester"-Tag - didn't they run the beta testing? You see, I'm quite puzzled.

Yes, and you obviously missed the point @ShamrockOneFive made about it not always being possible to catch every single performance issue in testing. This is not an unusual event, especially when an update this_doggone_big is released. 

Edited by LukeFF

Yes, of course, we understand that, but what we mean is that we would like to see answers from devps like “ok, we are aware of that. We’ll try to find out what’s going on” instead a “ sorry,  there’s no much we can do because It’s been a huge improvement. Try lowering settings or buy a better hardware”  since I’ve got a good one

• Upvote 1