Jason_Williams

Game version 3.001 discussion: Final Release of the Battle of Kuban

I've had a lingering question that has been kicking around my brain ever since the beginning of BoS but probably applies just as much to CloD & even before then the now aged IL-2 series of sims and that is : why do we not see more crew bailing out of obviously stricken aircraft? I mean if your aircraft had an engine out & a wing on fire  in real life how long would it take you to get out? Now you might argue that the crew have all been shot to pieces and can't bail, but from what I've seen the pilot can be still in control of the aircraft & the gunners still returning my fire until at long last the aircraft settles down to the earth. this can be true even when the red icon disappears & tells me I don't have to waste more bullets on it. yes occasionally I see one or two parachutes exiting a damaged aircraft but it is more the exception than the rule & hardly ever does it happen with fighter aircraft.Written & archive film tells us otherwise. In large air battles over Germany there are reports that it looked like it was "raining parachutes" or a parachute invasion!"

Is this effect limited by the game engine ...some sort of roll of the dice , or is it something to do with FPS count/ We do get quite a few parachutists coming out of Ju-52's at one time ,don't we?

This isn't sour grapes but I do admit it would be nice to see my opponent bail out so I didn't feel the need to continue to chase the heavily smoking hulk all over the sky trying to get a confirmed kill...I'm just sayin'...

scan573002c-december-21002c-2005.jpg

On 4/11/2018 at 10:19 AM, Blitzen said:

Is this effect limited by the game engine ...some sort of roll of the dice , or is it something to do with FPS count/ We do get quite a few parachutists coming out of Ju-52's at one time ,don't we?

I bet the AI uses the same/similar decision making as what you get in technochat. In situations where you get the "structural breakup bail out" warning, i bet the AI tries to bail. when you get "engine stopped prepare for emergency landing" the AI tries to put it down.

bail or ditch is one of the more difficult and nuanced decisions to make for a human, and would be tough to program into AI.

On 3/19/2018 at 4:54 PM, obit said:

Viking, yeah we're talking about the same thing.

Support responded to me. This was only about not being able to load old records. They said that the old tracks might not work which I kinda suspected would happen.. They suggested to "Try to delete the *. Msbin file and resave the mission in the editor", but I'm not in front of my gaming box at the moment so I can't confirm. Do at your own risk! I saw some other people post this too so maybe it's common thing when there are updates but I don't know.

I'll update when I'm in front of my computer and try this.

Works for me. Thanks

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I did a search but nothing popped up. I was just cruising down a random river at water level on the Stalingrad summer map, using it as an obstacle course of sorts. It's something I've done since the original IL-2 just for fun. As usual, after a few tight twists and turns, I went into the trees. But tonight before the 109 smashed to the ground, the last tree I hit went down too. I survived the crash and when looking around, there laid the downed tree. Sure enough, when I watched the replay, I saw it come down (didn't hear it tho :(). I know the Tank Crew promo film showed that effect but I didn't think it was supposed to be in this last patch. Has anyone else seen it?

Edited by Rjel
spelling

3 hours ago, Rjel said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I did a search but nothing popped up. I was just cruising down a random river at water level on the Stalingrad summer map, using it as an obstacle course of sorts. It's something I've done since the original IL-2 just for fun. As usual, after a few tight twists and turns, I went into the trees. But tonight before the 109 smashed to the ground, the last tree I hit went down too. I survived the crash and when looking around, there laid the downed tree. Sure enough, when I watched the replay, I saw it come down (didn't hear it tho :(). I know the Tank Crew promo film showed that effect but I didn't think it was supposed to be in this last patch. Has anyone else seen it?

Yup, it made it into the game already. Ive knocked down my fair share of trees so far but I dont think I'm quite done doing it.

• Upvote 2

From the 3.001 update:

AI Aircraft and Game World:
34.  Damage to large objects from small explosions now calculated more accurately;
35.  Some trees (on tree-line, along with the roads, individual ones) can be toppled with a powerful impact;

Edited by kendo

4 hours ago, kendo said:

From the 3.001 update:

AI Aircraft and Game World:
34.  Damage to large objects from small explosions now calculated more accurately;
35.  Some trees (on tree-line, along with the roads, individual ones) can be toppled with a powerful impact;

Oops.Guess I missed that. This was along a river bank amidst a stand of trees. I'll try to post a video later. 

1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I hit a few trees with a He111 and two or three came crashing down. It was definitely a new 'Wow' moment.

For me too. 

Lol first experience with the new trees, flying the a20, got distracted by the rain effects and belly landed into about 3 trees and they all came down.... it felt like long over due justice...

damn trees

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, spartan85 said:

Lol first experience with the new trees, flying the a20, got distracted by the rain effects and belly landed into about 3 trees and they all came down.... it felt like long over due justice...

damn trees

Ain't it the truth! :)

I guess as long as several people have seen this effect there's little sense of me posting a video. It certainly was a very cool thing to see happen. I'm going to fire up a tank mission this weekend to see if the same holds true when hitting a tree. It's been quite a while since I last drove one.

5 minutes ago, Rjel said:

I guess as long as several people have seen this effect there's little sense of me posting a video. It certainly was a very cool thing to see happen. I'm going to fire up a tank mission this weekend to see if the same holds true when hitting a tree. It's been quite a while since I last drove one.

Good idea.

It would probably be much better to run into trees in a tank than in a plane anyway.

35 minutes ago, dburne said:

Good idea.

It would probably be much better to run into trees in a tank than in a plane anyway.

True that. I only have to figure out how to replicate the action. It's going to be difficult driving down that same stretch of river to find that particular tree to see if I can knock it down again from ground level. 

On 2018-04-13 at 3:34 PM, Rjel said:

Maybe we can start making new airfields :)

On 4/13/2018 at 2:34 PM, Rjel said:

As long as someone brought up "tanks" here - I'm jumping in.

Is anyone else having difficulty seeing Russian armor in the 'Pz.Kpfw III, winter' version of "Last Man Standing"? It's actually the gun sight that's disappearing in the darkness.

The Russians don't have to fight before dawn!

As if it wasn't difficult enough to take on T-34s with a 50mm!:wacko: (At least we can reload quickly)!

And it seems like there are  additional mechanical issues with the engine/transmission. I can never get close to the km/h specs.:huh:

Oh well, I'm enjoying the challenge!