Han

Developer Diary, Part 184 - Discussion

welp, it almost looks like a new game coming our way at the end of winter. That is just awesome!

Im honestly blown away!  transition from rain drops on canopy to clear sky dry, and on goggles!  wow!    and the Tank treads loosen and becoming taught, crazy detail on them, tree breaking will be fun!   Im hoping my rig will be able to stand up to the new upcoming improvements...

feels like a new era of sim coming our way!

i wonder how the people with VR will react to the rain,  perhaps we will need a "wipe goggles" button  :)

thanks team!!!

The scope and speed (and quality) of updates has been relentless this year

I was going to make mention of the same thing. It does seem as though development has accelerated.

Amazing update. I am really excited for Tank Crew. What we have now has been a great deal of fun in my mind. This really looks great. If we can knock down trees, I hope that means we can blow through buildings and possibly crush vehicles. Maybe too much to hope for but I can dream. Looking forward to preordering this title.

All the rest of this update is gravy.

• Upvote 1

That was a seriously impressive update. No words.... Except MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL! 

• Upvote 1

Boys, there is no sound of breaking tree when tree is falling down!

:P

Seriously I'm happy that Tank Crew is really in development as you visualized.

Good job!

So, first off, let me say that I have read no comments - I just skipped right to the end.

I am blown away.  In my email I received an update including a beautiful shot of the bell on what I *think* is the Kuban map.  Absolutely stunning.  I can easily make out separate peaks on the mountains in the distance.  It's beautiful.  But the tanks made me comment.  I am delighted to see the amount of detail, the flying dirt, the suspension and the ability to knock over trees!?  Wow!  I thought this was a flight simulator.  I hope the tank fanatics from some other games I've played in the past get to get a gander at this modelling.  You have really done a marvelous job here team.  Way to go, and I can't wait to see how this all comes together.  S! and have a happy holiday!

Team...that means everyone...I feel like a broken record, and maybe should switch to old Hebrew or Greek so that I have more descriptive words at my command...but for now. once again....AMAZING.

The rain looks fantastic. I have a number of rain missions built already for the A-20 campaign and I cant' wait to see those effects in action when I finally get to test everything put together and implemented.

Aircraft, effects, etc.

The tanks and landscape are looking better than I imagined as well.

I can't wait for my slush fund to recover from Christmas so that I can throw some money at you guys.

Well done - you don't disappoint.

"should make up for this hard work and release delay"

So what is the expected release date now that it has been delayed? No mention of a delay earlier other than this sentence now unless I missed a previous delay update.

ALSO

Is there missions in the dynamic campaign for the flyable JU52 aircraft? I can find no info on this question. I would like to have the choice to do a career in this aircraft for a change of pace. For a premium add on aircraft it is surprisingly unloved in its content within the game.

Edited by NZXExploit

@Devs

nice rain effect but whats with Oil ? would be nice to have this oil effect if the engine is damaged or you flying behind a damages (oil leaking ) plane. same with fuel leak maybe ? that would be nice

Yes this would be absolutely incredible!

@Jason my group is very much interested in what kind of changes are coming to the Dserver. We would like to know how much that might help us with the types of missions we like to make. Could you elaborate on some of the expected changes?

This comes as incredibly exciting stuff for all of us, and the Dserver upgrade might be exactly the thing we needed!

"should make up for this hard work and release delay"

So what is the expected release date now that it has been delayed? No mention of a delay earlier other than this sentence now unless I missed a previous delay update.

Yes, there was an announcement.

December 7th. https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32759-final-release-battle-kuban-delayed-little-bit/

As far as the Ju52, there isn't much that can be done with it for a campaign. It's a "premium" because it was originally not flyable, instead it was AI. It was made flyable due to a vocal minority, the returns on creating the cockpit and additional controls don't appear to have been worth it. I purchased it, to support the development, but I see very little point in making a campaign for it.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Boys, there is no sound of breaking tree when tree is falling down

Ah but if a tree falls in a forest and nobody hears it does it make a sound? ;-)

I hope that the new stat will count the operation with the Ju52 (deliver cargo, drop paratrooper, etc..)

• Upvote 2

I just can't take it any more.  Just too many good things given to us all the time.

Edited by Uriah

Duuude COOP from your game. YES! Best news ever

You guys are absolutely crushing it

Here we go again with the ridiculously awesome dev diaries! 2018 = best year ever, coming soon. :-) Thank you devs for your relentless efforts! Have a good unwinding over Xmas & New Year.

PS Lov'n the tank tracks. And 16x mesh detail - wow, that's going to be interesting to see.

Impressive DD. The physics for tanks and trees look particularly interesting.

However the plastic modeller and rivet counter in me can't help but point out the wrong interior colours of the german tanks. The Dark Grey overall is not correct (and many museum tanks got wrong colours when being restored or were from specific batches intended for North Africa).

Let me quote a pretty good overview on what interior colours were used and where (source: http://www.figuras.miniatures.de/camouflage-german-panzer-interior.html ).

That, my dear Thor, is an outstanding quote you included. As a fellow trainspotter, I must confess to an involuntary "platformgasm" as I read that. Cold showers all round!

December 7th. https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32759-final-release-battle-kuban-delayed-little-bit/

As far as the Ju52, there isn't much that can be done with it for a campaign. It's a "premium" because it was originally not flyable, instead it was AI. It was made flyable due to a vocal minority, the returns on creating the cockpit and additional controls don't appear to have been worth it. I purchased it, to support the development, but I see very little point in making a campaign for it.

Gambit has a lovely little scripted campaign for the Ju52 (see the appropriate forum). Go fly the friendly skies! It's great fun, and a real aviation challenge. A connoisseur's experi... I'll stop now. 

Edited by No601_Swallow

I'm amazed about the constant weekly flow of new content updates, and all with such useful depth. No filler stuff. Really amazing.

The thing for me this week are the additional player states: How often have I nurtured a badly damaged engine back home just to miss the runway just a few kilometres. Gosh, I was inside friendly lines, I should get my aircraft (eventually) repaired and fly on. But no, in a SP campaign it's rinse and repeat. So I'm looking forward to hopefully a victory condition for some default campaign missions where landing outside the base still counts.

As a non-native english speaker I need a little support:

What is the difference / What are the different conditions between

-Forced Landing outside the base AND -Ditched ???

Help Appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by ADorante
  • Upvote 1

How about this rain effects - ???  :dry:

post-8022-0-82498800-1362750428.jpg

Oil is sticky and this is oil not water. But the game is amazing and shall be so even more in the future but can or pc follow this evolution of the game? Thanks for all this and waiting for the release with trepidation!  :salute: 

A nice Christmas present - could`ve fill out 3 DDs there` so much material.

It`s very satisfying for me that not only BoK but also BoS&BoM sp campaigns are getting a rework. Gonna do em all over again.

About Tank Crew I hope the title will be more about precise ballistics and tank modelling(armor thickness, tower rotation speed, shell penetration, shell variants etc.) so we get realistic ground battles after all these years of waiting. That`d definitely be something I`d buy in a heartbeat. Just wanted to put that out there.

• Upvote 1

This is one of the best developer diaries out there, everything has me giggling like a kid waiting for the presents! Thank you very much, and happy holidays to all of the team!

thanks for the update, COOP will bring back good memories of original IL2.

Simple question:  Will there be an option for pilots to be able to join while a coop mission is in progress ?    Can't tell you how many times we start a coop and a pilot joins and misses out - always wished they could hop in and join the mission.

The JU52 can have transport missions, cargo missions, VIP missions, paratrooper missions... you only need to add fly here land here or fly here drop out cargo/paratroopers here. Does it need to be that hard>?

I was cruising down the right flank in my T-34, checking the tank on my left when I heard a crash and came to a shattering halt. "I've been immobilised" I called in. With no line of sight to the enemy, I pondered where to go from here. Then I realised I'd just hit a tree, reversed off it and continued the charge feeling rather foolish...

The tree damage change is all the more appreciated because it was not looked for. It's an outstanding improvement. Thank you for this work.

The 100km square high detail map sounds perfect for fighter-bomber / attack missions as well creating as more realistically detailed arena for tank ops.

The raindrops represent another significant qualitative leap. I'm especially looking forward to this being implemented.

As for the improvements in career mode, the suggestion that design detail will surpass RoF is not wasted on me. I am pretty much exhausted in the current career mode at 246 flight hours, (but if I'm honest, I think the flight time stopped incrementing many months ago).

The prospect of getting to re-fight the War on the Eastern Front up to the end of the Kuban campaign in a reborn sim with redesigned missions (and a redesigned career mode) is beyond massive.

Great Dev Diary (other sim devs take note)  ;)

The increased immersion coming from the rain effects looks great, also can't wait to play the new campaign. Well done team.

Mick. :)

The JU52 can have transport missions, cargo missions, VIP missions, paratrooper missions... you only need to add fly here land here or fly here drop out cargo/paratroopers here. Does it need to be that hard>?

I think we were referring to the lack of "points" that can be calculated for such things.

Love the rain effect. Will/does it have a similar effect for snow? I imagine as little as we see weather effects on MP servers, it wouldn't matter too much. Although, I still think it'd be cool to have.

The rain looks awesome. I'm predicting a few weeks where it's raining in every MP server...

I'm not having a go at you, but this fallacious non-argument gets wheeled out from time to time about how there's no point adding any content or support for the Ju 52 because no-one seems to be using it. I'm obviously coming at this with a bit of confirmation bias because I do use the Ju 52 so I'm alert to any posts where people are discussing it, but there are plenty of people who seem to enjoy flying it but are disappointed by the lack of content and support.

There are a number of threads including this one where people have suggested adding points for conducting missions like paradrops, cargo runs and medivac, which would go a long way towards evening this out a bit. Just chucking random assets in doesn't work, they need support.

I hope that the new stat will count the operation with the Ju52 (deliver cargo, drop paratrooper, etc..)

I would hope so too, and if that's on oversight by the devs then I hope they add it in.

As a non-native english speaker I need a little support:

What is the difference / What are the different conditions between

-Forced Landing outside the base AND -Ditched ???

Help Appreciated! Thanks!

I would say that 'forced landing' is coming down over land, whereas 'ditched' implies coming down over water.

I can't wait for this update; the effects look brilliant!

Happy Christmas and New Year  Jason, Han and all of the development team.

Also to all BOX players.

This is such a good game, getting better all the time.  :biggrin:

but there are plenty of people who seem to enjoy flying it but are disappointed by the lack of content and support.

Absolutely agreed. I absolutely enjoyed Gambit's 'Pelican' missions, but it was only five missions. And the missions in the 'campaign' we have now, are quite uninteresting, as you always only fly with one Ju52. What we need is a campaign in which you can fly in formations, not as Ju52 'Rambo'.

What's up with the plane selection in the example image for /Choose server game mode/Dogfight/(Coop_1.jpg)? I thought BoPacific is postponed until all the documents and stuff are properly researched ;)

Hello Jason,

I have several questions about the templates (to change :biggrin: ).

-Do we have the chance to have templates that are not yet published at the same time as the next update?

-And would it be possible to have the templates for BOBP at the same time as the release of the planes?

Cordially.