Han

Developer Diary, Part 184 - Discussion

Hello everybody,
The New Year is almost here, and our office is very busy. As Jason announced earlier, BoK release is planned for the last third of the winter and we have a lot to make in time for it. The final part of the work on the Career mode turned out to be a lot more difficult than anticipated - those improvements that we planned to combine the best from RoF and BoS worlds require an astonishing amount of work. 
The new Coop multiplayer mode is almost done. This game mode is much like RoF Coop, but IL-2 Coop will have several improvements compared to RoF one thanks to our GUI programmer Vitaly Tolmachev. It will be possible to form player groups using a dialog window and assign a different route to each. There will be also an option to fly a gunner like in Dogfight.
Thanks to Coop development, we're also improving the game statistics system, which will benefit all the game modes. 
Statistics system isn't the only thing that is changed by adding Coop mode - you'll be able to host a server not only from a separate DServer tool using a different account, but from within a game.
Speaking of aircraft, we finished the raindrops visual effect on the canopy and restored the old RoF feature with raindrops on pilot's goggles.
Now let's show you something more grounded. Since the graphics improvements for BoK are nearly complete, we started the work on tech required for new projects. The research on Bodenplatte map and scenery has started and we'll tell you about it a bit later, but today we can give you more info on another project - Tank Crew. 

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 20

Wow looks amazing, especially stoked about the co-op, really looking forward to it! Are any improvements to the AI planned? It feels like there might be quite a bit of "low hanging fruit" that would significantly enhance the co-op experience.

• Upvote 2

That is amazing work! The tanks are going to be a lot more fun! The rain is very well done. 3.001 is going to look like a brand new game :)

Wow! That’s a lot of stuff. Great work throughout!

Interesting choices you made with the scoring system. I imagine the friendly fire penalty is going to seriously discourage “shoulder shooting”.

I’m particularly impressed with the new physics for Tank Crew. That tree getting pushed and knocked down looked very real to me.

• Upvote 1

Looks fantastic.

How raindrops stop falling from goggles after the canopy has closed.  :)

But... about the interior of the Pz. III tank, shouldn't it be 'Fernhörer' instead of 'Fernhorer'?

Sorry for nitpicking.

EDIT:

I did my best to find images of a Pz.III turret with the text plate but to no avail.

Did find the text in other German WWII vehicles:

Tiger tank:

http://tiger1.info/EN/Headphone-stowage.html

http://www.maquetland.com/article-phototheque/7212-2egm-kasten-pz-nr-20-saumur

SdKfz vehicles:

https://www.ebay.at/itm/Panzer-Fernhorer-Mikrofon-Teile-Pz-IV-III-Panther-Pz-kpfw-Wehrmacht-WH-Sdkfz/122847901090?hash=item1c9a4e35a2:g:Se4AAOSwH09ZKwCJ

StuG:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-German-Wehrmacht-Panzer-Radio-Kasten-Panzer-Nr-21b-StuG-Hetzer-Pz-Kfw-/231717781930?nma=true&si=t9MPH1Ge7aZj924lGnIEUdBOeK8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

SPw:

http://www.kriegsfunker.com/radios/Fusprech_f_44.html

Edited by Uufflakke
  • Upvote 1

Looks fantastic.

How raindrops stop falling from goggles after the canopy has closed. :)

Sorry for nitpicking.

Because the rain that fell on goggles while canopy was open didn't simply disappear when canopy closed. The leftover drops had to run to bottom of goggles.

• Upvote 2

Because the rain that fell on goggles while canopy was open didn't simply disappear when canopy closed. The leftover drops had to run to bottom of goggles.

I’m pretty sure the “nitpicking” was about the spelling of “Fernhörer”. He seemed satisfied with how the rain looks.

Edited by Finkeren

BorysVorobyov, on 22 Dec 2017 - 12:08, said:

Yes, I know. Looks good isn't it?

The nitpicking was only related to the possible spelling error. ;)

Ahhh ok I thought he was asking why was there still rain on goggles after canopy closed.

Wow - good stuff. Loved the video of the tank making a nest, although that was one springy tree. Wouldn't a chainsaw have been quicker? :)

Looking forward to all of these wonderful features - Happy Christmas!

Wow looks amazing, especially stoked about the co-op, really looking forward to it! Are any improvements to the AI planned? It feels like there might be quite a bit of "low hanging fruit" that would significantly enhance the co-op experience.

+100 this is what I want to know it too.

Excellent news, especially regarding self-hosting COOPs. Looking forward to 2018. Thanks a lot to the entire team!

Just one thing that came into my mind. Is there any chance we will have to deal with icing effect in future?

Edited by I/JG27_Zimmi

This is absolutely amazing! It's incredible what you guys are creating here. Also seeing this picture a question pops up in my mind. this looks like it could be used to simulate refraction on thick sheets of armored glass like on 109s and Fw 190. Have you guys thought about applying this tech there?

post-19-0-13616700-1513938649.jpg

• Upvote 1

This is absolutely amazing! It's incredible what you guys are creating here. Also seeing this picture a question pops up in my mind. this looks like it could be used to simulate refraction on thick sheets of armored glass like on 109s and Fw 190. Have you guys thought about applying this tech there?

Could we be just months away from a definitive end on the "bar" debate? I sure hope so  :good:

Lots of great news.

What I would like to know is, if Tank Crew will be mostly intended for multiplayer or if we will also see some upgrades to the ground unit AI? At the moment single player tank missions don't work very well, because the AI has problems to recognize obstacles and will often drive into houses and other vehicles or it will fire on targets behind hills.

In regards to tree toppling, can we expect to see something in regards to aircraft so that the squirrel's dens aren't made of stalinium, and instead bend to the impact of the aircraft?

Could trails such as this one (From: Air Crash Investigation S09E06 "Cold Case") be seen when something like a he111, or the Boston etc. crashes? It would add to the even greater immersion seen in this Dev Diary.

Love the work, I just wanna fly a Boston soon!

Could we be just months away from a definitive end on the "bar" debate? I sure hope so  :good:

What "bar"? The ones seen on the windscreen glass of the IL-2s?

I wonder how many people in VR will be trying to wipe the rain off the goggles...

von Tom

Another fine Dev Diary ;)  This is all shaping up to be a very special release/update and just want to thank the Devs for all the hard work, hope everyone has a Happy Christmas and cannot wait for this now!

Great DD, a lot of interesting info.

Beautifull rain visualization! Much better then previous version.

T-34 track movement and tree-toppling looks great too!

Your game is gradually getting a real piece of art! Thanks devs for your work.

Happy Christmas and new year to all team.

P.S.

I have never realized how big are Bf 109G-6 cowling bulges from the cockpit view.

@Devs

nice rain effect but whats with Oil ? would be nice to have this oil effect if the engine is damaged or you flying behind a damages (oil leaking ) plane. same with fuel leak maybe ? that would be nice

• Upvote 2

Oh wow, I am stoked. There is so much to be positive about here, looking forward to 2018 rolling on through!

A minor point raised from the point system, is it possible for BoX to recognise shared kills?

Just keeps getting better and better. I'm really looking forward to jumping into the new career system. Co-op looking great too. Rain! Can't wait.

Thanks devs. Enjoy the holidays.

Superb work and a very interesting update.

Happy Christmas from England to one of the world's best development teams. The amount you can achieve with limited resource is just staggering! Well done.

Tanks knocking down trees! Now we need more in detail building destruction. As well as revised collisions for the Tank Crew maps.

Because it's silly bouncing off a hay bale in a 25 tonne tank. We should also be able to operate the hull mg on tanks.

But enough with me nagging. This dev blog is really exiting for me and I'll definitely be buying tank crew as soon as it comes out.

Cheers a bunch 1CGs! :P

The scope and speed (and quality) of updates has been relentless this year

You all need a good festive season rest so you can continue this pace in 2018  :)

Great DD

Thanks 

Dakpilot

• Upvote 1

Will the trees be toppable by planes crashing into their tops?

That would be one of the most amazing features to ever see..