And you’re conflating rare late war desperation attacks on enemy bombers with a gamey cheap shot tactic. Have fun trying it in MP. I’m looking forward to the responses of the people you ram.

Keep in mind that people often get extremely pissed off about accidental rams. You’re on record as saying that intentional ramming is ok. Have fun with that!

And we're back. Well, that was a long day.

I'm on record as saying that under specific circumstances intentional ramming is ok. That you never mention the circumstances shows how weak your argument is. You conflate, you exaggerate, and you try to draw in the imagined negativity of online people you don't even know exist to support your argument.

As for "people often get extremely pissed off about accidental rams", as I mentioned, I raised a family and I've dealt with warrantless emotional outbursts from children before. Best to just let them vent and eventually they will tire out and go for a nap. ;)

people often get extremely pissed off about accidental rams

Had two happen to me today in the Finnish server. No angry messages, but we were laughing a lot on radio. The first was a head-on attack to clear my wingman where I misjudged the distance and closure rate (both planes disintegrated), the second time I was going defensive in an Il-2 firing at an overshooting Bf-109 when a Bf-110 came out of nowhere and sawed me in two. Good fun that was :biggrin:

Had two happen to me today in the Finnish server. No angry messages, but we were laughing a lot on radio. The first was a head-on attack to clear my wingman where I misjudged the distance and closure rate (both planes disintegrated), the second time I was going defensive in an Il-2 firing at an overshooting Bf-109 when a Bf-110 came out of nowhere and sawed me in two. Good fun that was :biggrin:

Yes, that's how adults behave.

Glad you enjoyed your flights. :)

• Upvote 1

And we're back. Well, that was a long day.

blah...blah...blah...

Yeah, good luck with the ramming thing. I’m looking forward to seeing you online.

Yeah, good luck with the ramming thing. I’m looking forward to seeing you online.

Altering a person's post, not for brevity but for the sake of insult, shows a distinct lack of class on your part.

If you are unable to engage in honest discourse, and need to resort to this kind of dishonesty, there is little reason to talk to you.

• Upvote 1

Altering a person's post, not for brevity but for the sake of insult, shows a distinct lack of class on your part.

If you are unable to engage in honest discourse, and need to resort to this kind of dishonesty, there is little reason to talk to you.

I tried engaging in honest discourse. But it appears to be impossible to convince you that ramming is a cheap shot tactic. And your argument is basically “blah...blah...blah...if I feel ramming is justified then it’s justified...blah...blah...blah...”. So at this point, there is no point in talking. Looking forward to seeing you online.

Sure, but that's not ramming is it; that's a collision.  When two cars hit each other on a road we don't typically say they rammed one another, do we.  No, we say they were involved in a collision.  That's because the incident lacked 'intent'.  The impact between the two vehicles was unintentional.  Same in the air.   There's little point screaming at someone over ts about an accident/miscalculation - although of course, some still do.

Edited by Wulf

this remind me of the time I was shooting at a yak from his 6 and the guy shoulder shooting me rammed the back of my tail, my plane did a flip and I was still pressing the trigger. A few canon round hit his plane and he actually believed I shot him down intentionally  :rolleyes: , I don't think he even realized he rammed my plane. He then proceeded using explicit vocabulary in the chat..

Sure, but that's not ramming is it; that's a collision.. There's little point screaming at someone over ts about an accident/miscalculation...

But if it's intentional then it's on like Donkey Kong!!! Rawwwwwrrrr!!!

so much salt, is this league of legends?

Never played that, but there certainly seem to be some petulant children here, that's for sure. They fly a combat flightsim and whine when they get hurt by the person they are trying to shoot down.

Snowflakes indeed.

Never played that, but there certainly seem to be some petulant children here, that's for sure. They fly a combat flightsim and whine when they get hurt by the person they are trying to shoot down.

Snowflakes indeed.

Whining? I’m looking forward to seeing you online.

The real world situations and scenarios that warran/warranted 'taran' are clear - out of ammo and determined to stop the enemy from attacking etc. From a simulation point of view this is where the tactic is employed. From a gaming point of view such recourse to desperate action may legitimately be labelled as a 'cheap shot tactic'. In real world war there is/was no choice between the two modes of action. There is little sportsmanship in war, only killing begets victory.

To take this further, there were situations where shooting the enemy pilot under canopy after you had forced him to bail out was not only condoned but an act of Command Policy. In 1945 Me262 pilots could expect to be shot  by USAAF fighter pilots if caught under canopy. Important to destroy the aircraft  of course but also to kill the pilots who were sufficiently highly trained to fly them. When Bodenplatte lands and we have the Me262 in the skies this is what should happen too.

We all need to remember that people come to this platform from different directions and by virtue of taking part in incongruent activities their reactions to events are typically diametrically opposed. Sounds like how antagonists feel in war, so it's closer to simulation than game in this regard.

Happy Crimbo!

P.S. Anyone for a game of soccer on Christmas Day?

Edited by 57.GIAP_MADOV
  • Upvote 1

We all need to remember that people come to this platform from different directions and by virtue of taking part in incongruent activities their reactions to events are typically diametrically opposed. Sounds like how antagonists feel in war, so it's closer to simulation than game in this regard.

Happy Crimbo!

P.S. Anyone for a game of soccer on Christmas Day?

Well said.

Will there be drinking during your soccer game?  :cool:

Whining? I’m looking forward to seeing you online. {CanadaOne}

That'll be the day :lol:

I only joined this discussion when it shifted from talk about the AI being programmed a certain way, for Offline play, to advocacy of certain behaviors in a multiplayer environment.  When I discovered that the loudest advocates of such tactics, as it pertains to the MP environment,  don't actually play in an MP environment, it took their credibility from very low, to practically Nil.

Edited by Iceworm

That'll be the day :lol:

I only joined this discussion when it shifted from talk about the AI being programmed a certain way, for Offline play, to advocacy of certain behaviors in a multiplayer environment.  When I discovered that the loudest advocates of such tactics, as it pertains to the MP environment,  don't actually play in an MP environment, it took their credibility from very low, to practically Nil.

Why? Does it take particular act of manhood to connect online and play a video game?

I've flown online, got shot down countless times by better pilots than myself, but I never whined about it. It's a game, and games has winners and losers, and very often I lost. But I never got mentally phlegmatic about it the way some of you here do. If I was to chase a guy who was smoking and burning and out of ammo and he was able to turn the tables on me and take me out with him, I would have laughed, congratulated him on his skills, and asked if he wanted to fly again.

I sure as shoot wouldn't cry like a little girl about the unfairness inherent in video games. I mean, seriously, you guys need to grow up. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Why? Does it take particular act of manhood to connect online and play a video game?

I've flown online, got shot down countless times by better pilots than myself, but I never whined about it. It's a game, and games has winners and losers, and very often I lost. But I never got mentally phlegmatic about it the way some of you here do. If I was to chase a guy who was smoking and burning and out of ammo and he was able to turn the tables on me and take me out with him, I would have laughed, congratulated him on his skills, and asked if he wanted to fly again.

I sure as shoot wouldn't cry like a little girl about the unfairness inherent in video games. I mean, seriously, you guys need to grow up. :rolleyes:

But we have yet to see you fly online in -this- game....

You've been going around calling people names (names that also happen to be loaded with political meanings, something that really has no place here) implying that they are somehow too tender or too precious to deal with things like ramming...I play online almost every night.  So does BSR.  I've seen every type of douchebaggy behavior there is to see...intentional rams, intentional friendly fire, shoulder shooting, vulching, kamikazes, trash-talking, fm-whining, you name it....I despise those aspects...And yet there I am, almost every night.  I don't just talk the talk, I walk the walk.  

If you are going to try to cast yourself as such a die-hard, with a certain degree of e-toughness and a particular mettle that the rest of us supposedly lack, then let's see you demonstrate it.  If you want to lecture people, or criticise people for their sensititivies in a MP environment, then let's see what yours are...Let's see you put your money where your mouth is.  I'm guessing that all those brave battles against the AI have made you a lot softer than you imagine :lol:

Edited by Iceworm

But we have yet to see you fly online in -this- game....

You've been going around calling people names (names that also happen to be loaded with political meanings, something that really has no place here) implying that they are somehow too tender or too precious to deal with things like ramming...I play online almost every night.  So does BSR.  I've seen every type of douchebaggy behavior there is to see...intentional rams, intentional friendly fire, shoulder shooting, vulching, kamikazes, trash-talking, fm-whining, you name it....I despise those aspects...And yet there I am, almost every night.  I don't just talk the talk, I walk the walk.  

If you are going to try to cast yourself as such a die-hard, with a certain degree of e-toughness and a particular mettle that the rest of us supposedly lack, then let's see you demonstrate it.  If you want to lecture people, or criticise people for their sensititivies in a MP environment, then let's see what yours are...Let's see you put your money where your mouth is.  I'm guessing that all those brave battles against the AI have made you a lot softer than you imagine :lol:

Indeed, several points to address.

That I have not flown in this game is relevant only insofar as the conversation applies to its particular structure, not to the "ethics" of flying online in a combat flightsim, since all combat flightsims involve the same fundamental principle of one player trying to win a fight with another another player. If BOX differs in its "ethical" approach from other combat flightsims, I would enjoy hearing your views on how it does.

Your views on what (language, etc) belongs in this conversation is hypocritical since you have only pointed out what you think are my transgressions and not those of the people on your side. When one of my posts was altered and misquoted, you not only ignored that transgression, but repeated what was said in it, meaning you pretty much agree with it. I have been on enough forums to know that altering posts in that fashion is universally frowned upon as being dishonest. But not by you, it seems.

This idea of e-toughness and walking the walk is ridiculous to the point of being sad. This is a video game, there is no courage involved at any time. If you want to engage in courage, then act selflessly and make a sacrifice for the greater good in real life. Video games are meaningless in this regard.

Indeed, several points to address.

blah..blah...blah

As with BSR, I too look forward to seeing your philosophies about online air combat in action, in an actual online environment.

Bottom line:  You want credibility, earn it.  Nothing more for me to say.

You have already whined about vulching, so... Looking forward to seeing you online

Yes, I understand there is nothing more for you to say as you are clearly unable and/or unwilling to address the issues with the points you yourself brought up.

If that is that, then thank you for the conversation and I hope you are well. :)

So what if I ram someone in a chute who just vulched a smoking bomber? Asking rhetorically for a friend...

• Upvote 1

So what if I ram someone in a chute who just vulched a smoking bomber? Asking rhetorically for a friend...

Did you do it on a Tuesday at night?

Because then it would be really bad. :unsure:

What if you shoot someone down and they don’t post anything in chat. How do you know that they’re angry?

Robin obviously you replied as far as I remember...even more amazing is your ability to remember my memories more accurate than I do.

Robin obviously you replied as far as I remember...even more amazing is your ability to remember my memories more accurate than I do.

No, it isn’t obvious. Because I make a point of never saying anything after I’m shot down. So it’s not really amazing that I remember, because I say the same thing every single time. Nothing.

Okay...well since I was "vulching" maybe this time was an exception for even "gasp" you. You have complained in this thread about your views on ramming for 2 days. Now you want me think you never complain in server chat? The odds are not in your favor. Ramming is a part of the game and "real life". Get on with your life my man.

Okay...well since I was "vulching" maybe this time was an exception for even "gasp" you.

No, definitely not. Getting shot down at the field doesn’t bother me. I’ve been shot down trying to land in a smoking piece of junk. I’ve been shot down taking off. I’ve been shot down waiting for my engine to start. I might be a little pissed off at the AAA gunners. But there is absolutely no point in complaining to them. So you’re definitely thinking of someone else.

Get on with your life my man.

I already told the rammer that I’m looking forward to seeing him online. Now I’m just mocking you for making s#!t up.

This oughta go down in history as one of the great philosophical questions, along with, "does God exist?" and "if a tree falls in the forest..."

Seriously tho, challenging Sturmovik philosophy here! You've managed to combine all the hot topics except for team imbalance, so how about:

What if ram someone in a chute that just vulched a smoking bomber while I'm in a 109 at 6k while outnumbering the other team two to one?

Honestly I could write a white paper on this shit, so many layers...

• Upvote 3

What if ram someone in a chute that just vulched a smoking bomber while I'm in a 109 at 6k while outnumbering the other team two to one?

I think this can be improved.

What if ram someone in a chute that just vulched a smoking bomber while I'm in a 109 vulching an enemy airfield at 6k while outnumbering the other team two to one?

What if you ram a guy, bail out over his airfield and shoot his buddy who just spawned with your pistol on the way down? Wut? Minds blown - I can feel it.

• Upvote 1

What if you ram a guy, bail out over his airfield and shoot his buddy who just spawned with your pistol on the way down? Wut? Minds blown - I can feel it.

Sadly, we don’t have pistols in this game.

Sadly, we don’t have pistols in this game.

Pistol plus being able to run around on the enemy base after you bail out would be epic. Although you'd probably have the AA shooting at you...

BraveSirRobin "I already told the rammer that I’m looking forward to seeing him online. Now I’m just mocking you for making s#!t up."

No need to make this up...why else would I remember a kill from years ago? Because you complained, that's why.

post-21047-0-33916700-1514003541_thumb.png

Edited by GrendelsDad

No need to make this up...why else would I remember a kill from years ago? Because you complained, that's why.

Lol. I read complaining in the chat every friggin night. Constant complaining. None of it is memorable.

You already said that it was your first bomber kill. That’s why you remember it.

In any case, why the F would I complain about being shot down? It happens to me all the time. The only time I ever post anything online, and in the forum, as well, is if someone says something really moronic. So if you made some idiotic comment after you shot me down, then I responded to that. But complaining about being shot down? Never happened.