Han

Developer Diary, Part 176 - Discussion

Immersive as hell!

Flying transport plane from Adler to Maycop on a bad weather, flying low to avoid CB's while rain hitting cockpit window making poor visibility and increasing risk flying between mountains.

Edited by EAF_Ribbon

Great DD as usual. :salute:   Please get the store updated for the new collector planes so I can buy more stuff! :biggrin:

Beautiful news..txs,Devs..you are working great...the coop mode will open a new world for this Sim...the rain is simple marvelous

Big or small news, I appreciate - even look forward to - the weekly Dev's diary.

That second shot of the P-39 is damn like photo realistic near enough. Being able to see clearly to the horizon makes all the difference.

The rain drops at the slower speeds had me grinning and giggling in delight and amazement. That's really something.

For those already complaining this is preliminary work. It will be an optional effect. If you don't like it turn it off.

For everybody else who like it, thanks. It may not make it into the next update due to a backlog of work (some of our key personnel have been slowed due to illness and medical procedures), but it will come. It has to be applied and tweaked for each plane which takes time. 

What Han mentioned in the DD for COOP is both our basic functionality (very similar to ROF) which is coming for Kuban and a future feature we plan for next year that has a more Hyperlobby like interface which I am trying to get done for you guys. 

Jason

I'm not complaining, Jason, but...

I can't stand the rain

Against my window

Bringing back sweet memories.

Guys,

We know what rain looks like. We all drive cars and at least one of us can fly an actual propeller driven plane. Vids aren't necessary in this thread really. Just let us do our thing.

Jason

I don't drive! :P

I've been marvelling at your work for weeks since I came back after a long break. The VR update radically transformed the sim/game/life-style. This update is just another example of your dev team genius. IL-2 is a work of art!

I have some rain/anti-shipping/convoy interdiction missions coming up in the A-20 campaign build.

I was already looking forward to building and testing them...now I'm REALLY looking forward to it. :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

I feel that not enough attention is directed towards the P-39 in this thread, it really does look excellent - very good skinning job. Especially the chipping of the paint looks a lot more natural and toned down, than the usual, IMHO often exaggerated, weathering of the paint seen on other models in the sim.

True that and it is looking good.  What got me though, not just the rain in the Video but also object detail with the trees, terrain and rail track the Lagg was flying over.  For some reason it looked much more detailed that what I have noticed when flying.  Maybe it is a Kuban Map thing and I have not spent enough time flying the map to notice.  I could have sworn though I could see sleepers and gravel on the rail track as well as the rails themselves.

I must watch again a few more times )).

This Sim just keeps getting better and better.  Looks like I need to sponsor my Pilot brother and get him into it, a Spit Mk9.  Would do it for him as a collectable ;))

Rain distortion effect is crazy good, looks as though it could be a potential technology for refraction on armoured glass?

Holy... rain effect looks awesome. This sim is really becoming the number 1 sim surpassing all the other ones out there. The one and only.

• Upvote 1

Holy... rain effect looks awesome. This sim is really becoming the number 1 sim surpassing all the other ones out there. The one and only.

+1

It's all BOX for me from here on in. I load up Il2-46 or DCS, fly for thirty-seconds, then quit the game. And back to BOX.

Not sure if the developers wanted a rabid gang of fanatical cultists on them day and night... but here we are. :bye:

• Upvote 1

Just got home and had a chance to see all of this stuff. Outstanding work folks! The P-39 looks great, I'm looking forward to enjoying co-op mode, and man does that rain effect look cool! Well done!

That's a very impressive looking Aircraft right there. Nice one!

I love the rain effects on the canopy, it had me scanning for puddles on the runway. Well done.

For everybody else who like it, thanks. It may not make it into the next update due to a backlog of work (some of our key personnel have been slowed due to illness and medical procedures), but it will come. It has to be applied and tweaked for each plane which takes time. 

What Han mentioned in the DD for COOP is both our 1.basic functionality (very similar to ROF) which is coming for Kuban and a future feature we plan 2.for next year that has a more Hyperlobby like interface which I am trying to get done for you guys.

Jason

Jason,

1. will we be able to host Coops from our PCs from within our game like ROF?

2. This is probably the best idea I have heard you say that the Team is working on yet. I really, really hope

you can pull this off. I really think this will pull a lot of Single Players into MP Coops.

Now, just keep the work on the AI up. What has been done recently is much better than it was before. Give the AI the ability run when damaged or pilot is hurt, depending on whether he is over friendly or enemy territory, to assess being out numbered and run, or outnumbering and pressing the attack harder, experience of the pilot as to ability to fight angles, an AI that can be jumped without them always reacting. WOFF_UE does a great job with AI, check it out. I know, small team, no budget, but please keep plugging away,

it is getting better and better, and I believe there are a lot more SP customers out there holding out for better AI.

Thanks for all Team 1C/777 is doing, the BOX series is getting better & better.  The further draw distance and the RAIN look awesome. Can't wait.

S!Blade<><

P.S. oh and a more user friendly ME in your spare time. BOX will be Spot on then. ;)

Edited by BladeMeister

For those already complaining this is preliminary work. It will be an optional effect. If you don't like it turn it off.

What Han mentioned in the DD for COOP is both our basic functionality (very similar to ROF) which is coming for Kuban and a future feature we plan for next year that has a more Hyperlobby like interface which I am trying to get done for you guys. 

Jason

Jason, I don't see where people are complaining here. 

With all the respect, you are seeing evil where there is absolutely not.  :)

I think everyone is genuinely enthusiastic about the new rain effect. I haven't read any dislike in these 4 pages of comments.

The two points I and a few others made were that,

For Multiplayer purpose, if people have the possibility to turn it completely off, quite a lot will do to gain a clear visibility advantage, which is a shame because it does look stunning and immersive.

So our hope is that either it will be always on, even on the lowest graphical setttings (managing a few adjustments for performance sake), or like suggested above a server based option so that everybody will play in the same courtyard.

Second is that what we see in the video already look great but for high speed flight, water seems to sticks a lot to the canopy and in the form of big drops. For those of us who are flying IRL, we experience that speed and propwash make the droplets much smaller and gliding off the glass without much "stickyness". A bit like with some windshield rain treatment for cars. But what is true for modern canopy material may not be for WW2 era, so you tell us. We are just giving out our feelings about what you showed us. What's wrong with that ?

These are nothing but positive, constructive comments about the new effect.

You show us WIP video about the product, we discuss. I think this is what this thread is all about, no ?  ;)

All the best, and my sincere support to the team, I hope than the sick people will recover fast !

• Upvote 1

I'm hopeful that one day we'll see that the A.I. has learned some new tricks especially in the defensive position and that we get at least few more functional radio commands for A.I. wingmen, but the moral of my post is that the hard work is appreciated, and I hope the implementation of the features being mentioned in this DD increase the popularity of the present and future of the IL-2 series.

Hyperlobby, co-op, and an engaging single player experience aren't just going to be fun for those of us already playing.   I'm fully in the mindset that adding features and improvements like this to the base game will help to increase the overall population of the community.  Noobs will have a place to ask questions that doesn't involve alt-tabbing out and opening an internet browser, co-op to learn with people who are hopefully eager to train some new blood to help them ease into the multiplayer environment and fill up some of the servers in the MP list.

Been loving the dev diaries leading up to 2.012 until now.   DAT P-39 omg I want to fly it so bad.

Thanks for the exciting news.  I can't wait to see where this takes us.  I say that, but the flight sim market has taught me some patience.  So it's duly noted that the developers have announced some features that have me stoked for IL-2 2018 and beyond.

Edited by =TBAS=headwarp

Oh man if I gotta wait long after the December patch to get this it'l just be too much of a tease! While to me it looks excellent now I can appreciate you making final details to the effect and having different patters for each aircraft representing airflow over the different canopies. I wonder if stalls and angle of attack will have an effect on the rain streaks in the finalized version? Also I dont wana keep asking for more like everyone else, but it really does seem like a good effect to use for oil leaks and fuel in the future if you manage to find the time. 

Thanks for all you guys do!

I'm not complaining, Jason, but...

I can't stand the rain

Against my window

Bringing back sweet memories.

Thanks for that.  Now I have that song stuck in my head.  ;(  My sister played it all the time when it came out.

Oil would be interesting and I don't think I've ever seen it done other than a big black blotch on the windshield.  I've seen attempts in the past to replicate (what I imagine they might look like) streaming water down the sides of a cockpit, but not ever quite like what I saw in that video.  And I noticed that further rendering for the images as well.  Kuban appears to be shaping into an addition that will exceed in every way what we've been treated to so far.  I mean the map has alot of the features of the other landscapes we've seen, but not with vast bodies of water, huge mountains, green forests, beaches, all kinds of new ships, new waves, a new campaign, new planes.... jeezus.  So much to think about; I don't think I'm exaggerating like this release is shaping into a re-vision of the single player experience (and I imagine online might be a hoot too).

I'm a bit excited to get to the deadline, so I guess I'll just keep losing myself in these updates and comments in the meantime.

The Aircobra looks great. Cant wait! ;)

good to know that I am one of the people who genuinely like the effect, but will it extend to exterior of the plane or just on the canopy? I like to see the whole plane drips with rainwater. Also we can still see clear shadow inside the canopy in a raining day, will it be in conflict of the real situation, it would be dark and gloomy when it is a rainy day, the shadow would not be so clear, it could be WIP but I just like to point out what I observe from the clip. Also the last thing is how much will we suffer in terms of performance hit, I really wish the whole experience could be as immersive as possible no matter it is single campaign or on multiple player server. But it could be big buzz kill to VR player as in we are already struggling with performance hit with the introduction of shadow.

Great DD as usual. :salute:   Please get the store updated for the new collector planes so I can buy more stuff! :biggrin:

yes , like a preorder for Bf 109 G-6 and La-5FN with favourable price , for exemple .

Edited by sport02

yes , like a preorder for Bf 109 G-6 and La-5FN with favourable price , for exemple .

Why “favorable price”? We want to support the team with everything we’ve got, don’t we? :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

Why “favorable price”? We want to support the team with everything we’ve got, don’t we? :biggrin:

Oh! Then you should give a good example and start the Finkeren Benevolent Society.

Pre order both crates with a favourable price and/or a exclusive pre order skin is enough.

Oh! Then you should give a good example and start the Finkeren Benevolent Society.

Pre order both crates with a favourable price and/or a exclusive pre order skin is enough.

Oh trust me. I plan on giving out several of the new collector’s planes as soon as they are up for preorder. :biggrin:

Oh trust me. I plan on giving out several of the new collector’s planes as soon as they are up for preorder. :biggrin:

<Finkeren drops the mike>   :good:

it was the case with collector plane yak1 and ju52 ( 5$ off)  , also for preorder game .

it's a good deal  between seller and buyer .

Edited by sport02

it was the case with collector plane yak1 and ju52 ( 5$ off) , also for preorder game .

it's a good deal between seller and buyer .

I know. My comment was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. Slightly reduced preorder price is fairly standard in this business and is perfectly fine.

• Upvote 1

Impressive rain, coperative mode was the best of IL2-46 in the BOS I hope it surpasses it.

The P-39 looks great and the developers are getting the best of the "46" and the ROF.

Thank you very much.

:salute:

Absolutely, but a flightsim addiction isn't cheap. I dropped $300 this week on a 1060, and BOX is the only game I play. It isn't just the game, it's also what you need to play the game.

Most of us have happily (eagerly) dropped hundreds of dollars on this sim and will happily (eagerly) drop hundreds more. I've got no problem with getting a deal on the BOX store once in a while.

And just so my good friend Sinned knows I'm thinking about him, I'm still looking forward to a free plane in an update one day. :)

My god, the rain effect... .. . "Wow"  

(The progress is truly amazing, more like a treasure chest than a box really, I just hope your all doing okay as well)

:salute: 

The rain effect looks great, 'little' things like that really add to the immersion and variety, particularly in SP.

Making it a server option makes sense, but I LIKE that rain makes spotting more difficult! I'd force it on everyone if I could ;)

It's like you said Pinko, it adds to the immersion.

Ive been waiting so long for these fluid effects! hope it doesnt kill my vr frames :)