Myscion

BOM Cockpits and Operation Quick Guide

Thanks for pointing out the error LaFrench! I'll be sure to fix it in the next release. 

VesseL adding specs is a good idea, I do have room on the procedures sheet at the bottom left. I'll add that in some future revision. 

Roblex thanks for letting me know about the broken index. Should be an easy fix.

You note about the under carriage absolutely does belong in the instructions. I'll take a look at it and try to reproduce it. Tribal knowledge like that is important and I want to try to capture it. I'm far from an expert pilot so I'm sure there's is lots of tribal knowledge like that missing. 

If any one is aware of any other similar idiosyncrasies or the same issue post it in the thread and I will add it!  ;)

A major thanks for the encouragement guys! I'm sorry about the lack of updates. College starting has really killed my free time.

I will keep updating it. I recommend subscribing to the thread so you get notified of any updates. 

Edited by Myscion

I notice that according to the manual,  the IL-2 AM-38 Model 1943 has a device labelled 'Oxygen Pleasure'   I am desperately trying to imagine just what it is dispensing :-)

• Upvote 1

hello ! Another small fix gear indicator<->bombs indicator for both IL2 41 and 42

CYbbyHQ.jpg

Cheers

Bex 

Edited by -LaFrench-bexhausted
  • Upvote 1

Arrgghhh! I thought I caught all of those bad oxygen gauges!

No uhh Thad is correct, it is vodka to enhance fighting abilities. 

Thanks for pointing out that error LaFrench. That's a big issue. It's probably there for the 1942 version as well.

I'll release a quick fix as soon as I get home today, that needs to be fixed. 

I just released version 2.0  This adds three new aircraft to the guide. 

Yak-1 Series 69
La-5 Series 8
Ju 52/3m

Now all the BOS aircraft are included and both DLC aircraft. With 22 aircraft total the guide is getting pretty big.

A big thanks to all of you that found errors! They have all been fixed. 

Also if a moderator could change the thread title to use BOX instead of BOM that would be great! The guide covers far more than just BOM at this point.

Edited by Myscion
  • Upvote 3

Really good work, clean and easy to use and a big help to those wanting to fly without the HUD an enjoy a more realistic flight. 

I noticed you haven't included bomb & rocket selectors and indicators, other than one small reference on the IL2.

All BOX aircraft have them when set up with rocket or bomb load-outs and they all work so that you can set up your attack from inside the cockpit without using the HUD.

I guess it would be quite a task to include them all and a description of how they function?

Edited by Pict

Woops your the first to mention the bomb settings. I think I just totally forgot that those controls existed. 

It all depends on weather or not I have space to add in descriptors and how complex they are.... I'll take a crack at adding them for the Bf 110 E-2. It's on of the more crowded sheets so it should be a good test.

I also want to add in performance data such as dive speed and max speed but I might have to choose one or another depending if I can fit it in.

Any ways we'll see, I think there's space. Give me a day or so to look it over.

Edited by Myscion

No worries,

I just noticed it as I've been going through the bomb & rocket controls on all aircraft to see if it was possible to avoid the HUD completely, I was happy to see that it is, and think it's a great credit to the developers.

Most of the single engined VVS aircraft have a standard control device that appears in the cockpit when it has rocket & or bomb load-outs, with the exception of the IL-2 which has the additional 4 bomb lights you already highlighted, so you might be able to do a one for all deal there and thereby save yourself some valuable space. When bombs & rockets are on-board, this device works for both or for either when only bombs or only rockets are available. That might be a little tricky to explain, but far from impossible.

The Pe-2 has an extra panel for bombs selection and ripple. It also has a unique 10 rocket load-out and when you select fire in burst of 4, it will fire 4, then next time you pull the trigger it will fire the remaining 6 (which is quite a punch)

Axis aircraft seem to be a little less universal, so you'd need to cover, 109's, 190's 110's, Stuka, Ju-88, He-111's, Hs 129 & Macchi as separate groups.

Have fun checking them out at any rate, I sure did :)

Edited by Pict
  • Upvote 2

I noticed you have the P-40 take off, landing information in meters and kilometers per hour, I have my game set to country specific, so I see everything in in miles per hour and feet with the P-40 and Spitfire (speed). 

Thanks

Hoss

• Upvote 1

Maybe a mistake on the YAK 1b?

In French this instrument indicates "la température de réchauffement de l' armement" (approximately "the temperature of reheating of the arming" ).

I do not know what the exact translation is in English.

36791641974_a97dafa54e_n.jpg

• Upvote 1

~S~ Myscion,

Yes, Thank You!!!

• Upvote 1

awesome!!

110g2 coming up?

also small error, macchi oil and water temp labels switched

thx!

• Upvote 1

My apologies for being gone for so long. I've had midterms to deal with and transfer applications to work on, I'd rather not be in community college forever.

Hoss the gauges in the P40 are a good point. I will add mph and feet next to kph and meters. I'll do the same when I get to the spitfire. 

Elanion hmm that's interesting. I will have to check how it's implemented in game. It seems like 30 degree C would be too low of a range to be gun temperatures but I will have to check.

Or maybe it's even some sort of fancy gun warming/heating system?

Tzigy funny enough the 110g2 is the one I'm working on now. Well that and adding in the bomb controls for all the planes already done. I'm not going to add bomb controls to the fighters just the ground attackers and bombers.

I may be able to get the next version out some time next week if it all goes well. Thanks for the issues and suggestions so far, keep them coming!

Edited by Myscion

" Gun warming/heating system ": exactly that.
Confirmed by one of our veterans  :salute:.

In both Yak planes.

• Upvote 1

Hey mate, just a note, this PDF doesn't open via adobe reader on mobiles. Tried two separate mobiles, both returned "file cannot be opened" without further information. Size of file is 10.8MB both times.

The link is not working for some reason.....I'm a new guy here, trying to get everything set up to play BoS and this looks like it would help greatly.  Thank you!  (Edit:  My dropbox isn't working either so maybe it's down....lol)

Edited by Kilawatts

Alright NN_Elanion thanks for the confirmation! I'm guessing it will also apply to the Yak 7B. I'll make the correction for the next release.

Fenris_Wolf that's odd. I'm on android 7.0 with a Moto G4 and it's opening fine in various PDF readers. I'm using word 2013 to export to PDF.

Is it any different if you copy the PDF over to the phone instead of downloading it using the phone?

Kilawatts I just tested it on a other computer and for the moment the download is working. If your still having issues just send me your email address over a private message and I'll email it to you. This applies to any one else having issues too.

I've decided I won't be adding instructions for how to read the controls for bombing. I've taken a look at a few bombers and I'd have to add a whole new page to do it properly. Maybe at some point in the future. 

Ok version 2.5 is out. This adds five new aircraft to the guide. 

Bf 109 G-4
FW 190 A-5
IL-2 AM-38F 1943
Bf 110 G-2
He 111 H-16

Guide is up to 27 aircraft and half of the BOK planes are now included. If you only look at currently released planes that leaves the Hs 129 and spitfire. 

A big thanks to all of you that found errors! They have all been fixed. 

As usual if there are any errors found please let me know. They will be fixed!

Edited by Myscion
  • Upvote 3

I've been working on a quick reference for all BOX aircraft. I got annoyed with having to figure out the gauges and engine operation procedures each time I change planes so I put it all into one document. 

I've formatted the document to be ideal for printing with each aircraft only needing two pages. Currently 27 aircraft are covered as well as a simple level bombing guide. (Also meant to be short)

All the important gauges are marked. There were a few I could not figure out but hey, I don't think they are needed for safe operation. If you see a missing a gauge that's important just say so.

Here's a sample of what it looks like.

zNyhoflh.png

Here's a link to the download. I'm using dropbox temporarily but they might kill the link. Any recommendations for a good service to host a medium size PDF?

Download for BOX Quick Guide V2.5

I was inspired by Chucks guide so thanks for the inspiration Chuck!

Current planes (All BOM plus All BOS planes, 5 BOK planes and all the DLC planes) 27 total

I-16 (BOM)

Mig 3 (BOM)

P40E (BOM)

LaGG3 Series 29 (BOS)

Yak-1 Series 69 (BOS)

La-5 Series 8 (BOS)

Yak-1b (DLC)

B f109 E-7 (BOM)

Bf 109 F-2 (BOM)

MC 202 (BOM)

Bf 109 F-4 (BOS)

Bf 109 G-2 (BOS)

Fw 190 A-3 (BOS)

Bf 109 G-4 (BOK)

Fw 190 A-5 (BOK)

IL2 AM-38 1941 (BOM)

IL2 AM-38 1942 (BOM)

IL2 AM-38F 1943 (BOK)

Bf 110 E-2 (BOM)

Ju 87 D-3 (BOS)

Bf 110 G-2 (BOK)

Pe-2 35 (BOM)

Pe-2 87 (BOS)

Ju 88 A-4 (BOM)

He 111 H-6 (BOS)

He 111 H-16 (BOK)

Ju 52/3m (DLC)

These are great, thanks a lot. Looking forward to using them!

Alright NN_Elanion thanks for the confirmation! I'm guessing it will also apply to the Yak 7B. I'll make the correction for the next release.

Fenris_Wolf that's odd. I'm on android 7.0 with a Moto G4 and it's opening fine in various PDF readers. I'm using word 2013 to export to PDF.

Is it any different if you copy the PDF over to the phone instead of downloading it using the phone?

Kilawatts I just tested it on a other computer and for the moment the download is working. If your still having issues just send me your email address over a private message and I'll email it to you. This applies to any one else having issues too.

I've decided I won't be adding instructions for how to read the controls for bombing. I've taken a look at a few bombers and I'd have to add a whole new page to do it properly. Maybe at some point in the future. 

I just tried and it works fine....I think Dropbox itself was down at the time.  Thank you very much for your hard work and sharing this with everyone, as well as answering my question.  Cheers, Kila

Just finished up a new version and V2.7 is now out!

New additions

Spitfire Mk. VB
Hs 129 B-2 

As of today all 29 planes are now included in the guide!

There was also a rework of the table of contents and book marks added to simplify PDF navigation.

I decided to try hosting it on file front this time, let me know of any issues with the download its self.

I think I figured the Hs 129 out but I have a few questions to make sure I got the instructions right. The only way I was able to get it to go intro continuous power was to use manual prop control to raise the pitch, thus lowering RPM. It would seem that automatic pitch control is only for combat power then? Is this how it's supposed to work or am I making an error some where?

Now that all the planes are included spread the word! I'll probably post it to Reddit some time later today.

Edited by Myscion
  • Upvote 2

Excellent guide. By far the best summary/overview that I know of. It is a great reference to have at hand when moving between the different aircraft types.

Some minor corrections for the Ju 52/3m g3e (Quick Guide v2.70, pg 59-60)...

Picture:

"Mixture" is incorrect. It should read "Höhengas" (or perhaps "Altitude throttle", if you are looking for an approximate English translation).

Engine start:

1. Also set throttle to zero (there is a bug which causes engine 2 to incorrectly set, if this is not at zero before you start)

3. There is no single oil temp (it is oil inlet and outlet temperature). There is no water temperature whatsoever. Due to the simplistic engine model in IL2:BoX, the minimum temperature has no effect, so this whole point can be removed.

Engine management:

Third point. Throttle 93% or lower will not engage higher power. (95% certainly will in some cases.)

Fourth point: There is no "mixture". It is "Höhengas". It can be reduced to increase fuel efficiency at low altitude, and increased for addition power at high altitudes. (As fuel efficiency is rarely an issue, it can be left at maximum.)

Landing:

2. There are no bombs. Cargo should not be ditched. So, remove this point.

Also, you might want to add the point "switch on landing light, if needed".

Quirks and tips

Third point: should read: "in case of engine failure, close the cowl for that engine"

Fourth point: should read: "... take off with closed cowls for a slight drag reduction ... "

Radiator oil flow can be kept fully open at all times (as engine freezing is not modelled). Also, the radiator oil flow setting has no effect on aircraft drag.

General point:

You use the terms "enable" and "disable" the flaps. Technically, this should be something like "engage" and "disengage".

Ref:  https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/31137-lots-questions-flying-ju-52/

• Upvote 1

Great guide! Thx for excellent work!

Just tip for correction of tiny err in all Bf 109 F & G cockpits: Manual Pitch Control switch is the little box just under the Throttle case, not the knob on the side of the throttle case which is used for fastening/loosing throttle lever rezistance. 

And then there is the rocker switch on the throttle lever holder (labeled DREHZAHL) for manual prop pitch setting by the pilot's thumb if the Manual Pitch Control switch is set on.

post-15525-0-19624300-1511940534_thumb.jpg

post-15525-0-47963700-1511939805_thumb.jpg

Edited by tapi
  • Upvote 1

Dietrich thanks for the detailed explanation! Much appreciated. 

I had no idea it was altitude throttle. I think I'll label it "Altitude throttle (Mixture)" since it's controlled using the mixture bindings.

I'll make all the other corrections as you indicated. The water in engine start is a embarrassing copy paste error I  suspect....

I'll put credit on the page for the Ju 52 when I make the corrections.

Tapi 

Woops looks like I was close but no cigar. I'll see if I can squeeze in a label for the pitch adjustment as well.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll make the needed corrections. 

Edited by Myscion

awesome again!

just a quick correction, 110G2 has manual radiators, not automated..

thx!!!

• Upvote 1

Tzigy well shoot I should have caught that....

I just uploaded v2.71 that fixes all the issues mentioned so far. 

Dietrich I gave you a mention on the page for the Ju 52 and hopefully it's up to snuff now!

• Upvote 1

Dietrich I gave you a mention on the page for the Ju 52 and hopefully it's up to snuff now!

Looks good now. :salute:

(There was no need for a mention... I was just helping out. But thanks anyway!)

• Upvote 1