Myscion

BOM Cockpits and Operation Quick Guide

Very cool - thanks.  Looks like it will be very handy.  Since I'm currently focused on trying to learn to fly the Bf-110 E-2, I started by printing out that portion of your guide, but I saw something that seemed odd.  In your takeoff procedures section, you say to close radiators for takeoff (step 4) - that seems to conflict with what I'd seen in other guides, which was to close them while warming up/taxiing, but open them for takeoff.  It does seem (to me) like it would make more sense to open them up before takeoff, since you're about to be pushing the engines rather hard for takeoff and climb out - is there a specific reason why you're saying to close them for takeoff or is that a typo/error?

If you need another upload site you might consider using Mediafire - I've had tons of stuff there for years and it seems to work well.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules
  • Upvote 1

Salutations and thanks for a good reference guide. Well done. :salute:

• Upvote 1

TG-55 you bring up a good point. I recall at one point reading conflicting information on this for other aircraft. I'll change the text to read

Close all radiators if you are heavily loaded on a short runway, otherwise open them as needed

In my own testing you have a good 30 seconds after take off to get situated and open radiators before you enter the danger zone. The lower drag from closed radiators may be useful for a very heavy craft on a short runway. 

Then again it may just be simpler to say open them all they way just to be safe. This is a quick guide after all. 

If any one has any objections or strong opinions I can just stick to the safe simple option.  

I updated the guide to V1.02. I added the trick for short take off to the tips section and made sure the bomber checklists recommended opening the radiators.  After all it is a short check list mean to be easy. The text in my previous post was simply too long.

Magnificent!!

I've ben waiting for soemone to do this - I started doing one but never finished it.

The direction that the prop torque pulls the aircraft, locking tailwheel of not, flap settings at take-off and landing - always needed these in a quick-and-ready reference!

Please keep up the excellent work, Myscion.  

• Upvote 1

Thanks Mungee!

Small update. I added the Pe-87 and LaGG3. I'll add a list of the current planes to the OP.

I also recommended down loading the new version if you fly the Pe 35. I fixed a few minor mistakes on it's page.

I'll keep adding planes as time permits. No particular order unless there's demand for a specific plane.

Myscion, this is really great. I've played this game long enough I rarely wreck an engine, but I definitely forget the fine details and am planning to print this out for sure. Thank you very much for the time you've put in.

• Upvote 2

Great work! A quick guide to glance when switching planes is a blessing. For all of us that cannot fly that often

Thanks for doing this. I hope you can find the time to do them all. :)

• Upvote 1

Alright here's an update. 3 more planes are now included.

Bf 109 F-4, Bf 109 G-2 and He 111 H-6.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! 

OrLoK I recognize you from the steam forums. Nice seeing you here!

I'll keep adding planes when I get the chance. I'm getting quicker at this. The first few took sooo long.

Any ways if you spot any errors or even suspect some thing don't hesitate to post.

This is awesome....thanks so much for your efforts in putting it together!

great work, thanks for the time and effort put into this.

Cheers

Here's another update, added 4 more planes. Up to 19 total.

Yak-1b, Fw 190 A-3, IL-2 AM-38 1942, Ju 87 D-3

Only 2 more before both BOM and BOS are fully covered. 

Edited by Myscion
  • Upvote 2

Thanks I quite like the clarity of the presentation

• Upvote 1

This is great and dead helpful. I fly the Peshka so much that whenever I take anything else out for a spin I usually find I've forgotten how to make it work properly.

So having a brief visual guide is awesome.

• Upvote 1

I just gave this thing a close look while emailing it to myself to print tomorrow and holy crap those cockpit diagrams are well done. The way you annotated the knobs is awesome. I'm gonna learn so much just from skimming this each time my engine is starting up, pretty pumped. Thanks again!

• Upvote 1

Looks great. I've been hoping that someone with more time, motivation, intelligence, experience, and skill than me would put something like this together. Very, very helpful- thank you so much for your efforts!

S!

• Upvote 1

This is excellent. Myscion, IMO your new guide surpasses the legendary Chuck guides in breadth and quality. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks! Great guide. If you ever want to add something to it, might be usefull also to know the top speeds ( level and dive ), and the climb and turn rates.

S!

• Upvote 1

Remarkable job !

I can imagine how many hours you have spent to do it and controlling it.

Very hepfull.

I noticed a small error in the P40 guide, more exactly a duplicate for the speedometer on the top left corner. 

One of them should be a magnetic compass, shouldn't it ?

b9LqDhf.jpg

• Upvote 1

A minor issue but the link to the IL-2 1942 Mod from the index does not work.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex
  • Upvote 1