Han

Developer Diary, Part 166 - Discussion

Will torpedo boats be sinkable by 20mm cannon fire such as MG/151?

Wow, what a DD today.

Just what I was hoping for , some good and juicy info on the new upcoming Career Mode and I must say it sound fantastic!

I can not wait to get my hands into some great SP action in Career!

And that sea, looks so gorgeous and the sound is so great!!

Kuban is going to be one really sweet map!

• Upvote 1

Excellent ship and water scenes, which begs the question (again) why dev team doesn't include any float planes/flying boats

Bv 138 'Seedrache' and/or Italian flying boats anyone? :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Forget about the human-controlled torpedo boats... what about more human controlled tanks...  ;)

Cheers

Here's your human controlled tank(let) :P

hqdefault.jpg

The boats at speed look really good. Well done.

Can we get some high and a low aerial shots as well to see how it would look from a flight perspective? I know it's WIP.

Looking good!

If I had one nitpick, it looks like the ship isn't displacing very much water and is only sitting 2-3' deep.

The slow boats were more noticiable but yeah they should sit lower. WIP and all caveats aside.....

• Upvote 1

Excellent ship and water scenes, which begs the question (again) why dev team doesn't include any float planes/flying boats?

Time and money, as always.

• Upvote 4

The physics animation of boats in water looks great.  Love the mood off the foggy sea!

I can't wait to get started on this new career mode, it will really bring a new experience to the game!  :D

Great diary Han.  Looking forward to this monster update and the boats look fantastic!   Just work in a little more low speed bow wave and you're there :salute:  

Please, please, please give us a PBY for Battle of Midway ;)

• Upvote 1

I looked at the first boat clip and thought, 'what this needs is bow wave splashes' and then, stap me, in the next clips there they were! Bloody brilliant. Going to be hard to sink those boys going at that speed :) . Good news about the career too; sounds just the ticket. Thanks!

The IL2 team never ceases to amaze me. Great work!  :salute: 

I really can´t wait for the career mode. All those years apent only in quick mission generator, this will be my best early Christmas !!!

Thanks for the news and big thanks to the team that you reworked the career mode!!! Also big thanks to all people from the community for helping the team for my dreams to come true :salute:

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS

Amazing Update! Really looking forward to the new career technology. I spent endless hours within the RoF career mode. I'm so glad You made up your mind and give us finally a career mode that's worth my time. :)

And also the water technology looks very impressive! To be honest, I wouldn't have worried if you had just ported the RoF water technology to BoX which already was quite good. But this looks very amazing.

I also guess these fast torpedo boats will make a very tough to hit target!

I decided to start regular flying again with the release of 2.012; clearly not a bad decision. This is really looking good. I love the boat physics. I thought there was less spray than there should be but just an initial impression.

Will Career mode allow a co-op style of play or is it Single player only? 

Edited by FlyingNutcase

My trigger finger is itching to kill those boats! I told my squad we will reconvene as soon as Kuban is released! We are all eager to unleash hell!

I thoroughly enjoyed my work creating unit emblems. I believe I did over 40+. It was hard researching because I do not speak German but very rewarding. Sometimes I just stumbled upon them by complete accident. And the resources at the Luftwaffe Experten Message Board are invaluable. I am so thankful I still have access.

Until then gentlemen I will see you in the skies soon!

• Upvote 7

Looks very nice guys,look forward to the patch.

I agree with HerrMurf. That last video with the high speed "flyby" was very impressive. I also wish to add my voice to the hope of having  controllable versions of the PT boats at some point. Even if it was for little more than the ability to explore the impressive looking coastlines of the coming Kuban map, driving them looks like it would be a blast.

Great update.

I just love the look of the G-5 boats, such an awesome design (even if the material made them a maintenance nightmare) they look like turbocharged mini-submarines and were powered by a pair of bloody Mikulin aircraft engines.

• Upvote 2

I was curious whether the Regiment Commander tools in the Career Mode will be merged into the Air Marshall feature that will eventually come to multi-player or is the design for the Air Marshall completely separate?

I knew this day would come when Battle of Stalingrad was first released a few yeas back.

Amazing news and thank you for your all hard work, devs.

The water and waves look great, but those boats behave like jet-skis. :o:

EDIT: Hey my 100th post and it only took 3 years.

Back to my rabbit hole.

Edited by Cloyd

Wow. Expectations for the career mode totally exceeded.

These updates reaffirm my commitment to purchase every IL2 product that is produced.

Wow. Expectations for the career mode totally exceeded.

These updates reaffirm my commitment to purchase every IL2 product that is produced.

Indeed, this new Career Mode is going to totally kick a@#!!

I absolutely can not wait to get my hands on it!

Wow, A very impressive update indeed.

The map looks great, the models and textures look great, the water technology looks great.

The career mode sounds promising as does historically accurate weather.

Echoing the posts of others, it would be really nice to see a player controlled boat for each side. I've gotta have a go of riding those waves man!

Now, what do the banners say exactly?

Does anyone know whether Career mode is single player only or whether it can also be used in a co-op style. It would surely be an immensely cool co-op platform.

• Upvote 1

Looks great!

The boats do seem to ride high in the water but then Han comes along and shows us photos of the real ones.... riding high in the water. So I'm convinced! Well done guys! This looks great!

Does anyone know whether Career mode is single player only or whether it can also be used in a co-op style. It would surely be an immensely cool co-op platform.

Oh you have me drooling from the suggestion. That would be immensely cool. I have no idea what co-op will be like but one could dream of such an idea becoming reality sometime! I'm guessing it'd be harder than it sounds?

After reading about the career, I finally took the plunge with BOK & looking forward to the patch. 

• Upvote 1

Amazing effects in relation to the sea waves and the physics of the boats!

I also liked the inclusion of the career module!

Thanks!

Simply a great DD here! I loved the RoF career and I'll spend a lot of time with this IL2 career! Thank you very much devs, this is what I was waiting for!

You got my order for BoK and BoM now! Horridoh!

Guys guys guys, this a flight sim, well mostly. Besides those who want a sim for PT BOATS:

LoL, IL-2 do this 1000x times better than this. I hope for playable ships same as tanks are. However playable ships become more interesting if we move to the Pacific theatre.

• Upvote 1

LoL, IL-2 do this 1000x times better than this. I hope for playable ships same as tanks are. However playable ships become more interesting if we move to the Pacific theatre.

No playable ships needed. Complete waste of time like playable tanks are.

• Upvote 1

and this means the "improved physics, graphical effects and some other minor stuff for the ships" what the Devs do is total waste of time, too -> xD

They are fine for targets and ambient objects. No need for "control-ability" for every war machines exists in this game. An Air Combat Sim.

Bearcat, may I have your permission to give out an accurate description of which organism this user reminds me of?

Edited by sinned

Playable tanks was not a waste of time. Jason stated that a couple of times.

Tanks were all ready there before the team even started with the Battle of Stalingrad project. Just to test their engine.

To make tanks controllable the modelling team worked on that part in their spare time.

Basic functions of tanks are included and in case the community wants more realistic tank behaviour then a Kickstarter kind of project would be started.

Since there is not so much interest in that field further development didn't occur.

See DD 113:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/168-developer-diary/?p=302842

I personally think there will be no controllable ships. Unless the community really wants it and the team has again some spare time.

So in the near future no speedboat racing in the Black Sea. ;)

• Upvote 3

Best everything I've ever seen anywhere!

Sounds like the SP campaign shapes up pretty nicely - I have high hope that it will surpass the lovely PWCG :)

That is seriously awesome. We definitely need player controllable ships and AA guns. I agree with Sinned that would definitely be well worth the time wasted.

• Upvote 4