Han

Developer Diary, Part 166 - Discussion

Hello everybody,
as you of course remember, one of the key new features of Battle of Kuban is the new gameplay mode - Career.
Now onto other neat things. Since our map of Kuban includes a significant chunk of the sea, we decided to improve how various warships look in our engine.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 12

Torpedo tech sounds promising, thank you :salute:

Edited by bzc3lk

Great news! The new campaign sounds better than i imagined, especially once you go up the ranks.

The topedo boats and water tech look great to me. Finally some faster targets to shoot for :)

Lots of work going into the next patch, i really appreciate the effort!

I hope it's a home run, I'm very excited!

Edited by Jade_Monkey

Great work. It's a pleasure to hear about the new career too. Can you tell me when the deadline is for new character bios and other contributions? I asked earlier in the relevant thread but didn't get a reply.

Looking great.  Thanks for latest DD Hans and crew. :)

I have to say that those banner for the VVS units looks even better than the axis units emblems :)

Really waiting for the career mode release :)

The first clip made me think of a scale model in a wave pool. Very very cool. I could see the ship appeared to have weight to it, and the waves made me think of a rolling sea, the likes of which might make Captain Highliner heave his guts over the side.

The rest of the clips were just as impressive and gave me a real impression of speed. Thanks for sharing this.

The career mode sounds very promising, and I'm sure is closer to the ultimate vision for a simulation like this one. Totally stoked. :)

Edited by Beazil

Watching those boats with the mountains in the background brought a smile to my face.

Thanks Han.

Sounds great on all fronts. Looking forward to the new career mode, the new ship technologies and torpedoes. The whole update in each point is very interesting. Keep going! :)

Hallo

Good news But when you give new flight models to German planes????

Then when Soviet and other Allied ones get it too. In other words: When its ready.

... and that was anounced to be likely next update.

Btw: Amazing things on the horizon! :)

Edited by 216th_Jordan

Forget human-controlled tanks...

... what about human-controlled torpedo boats  !

:cool:

Great update. I really like the new water effects. The bow-wave on the slow moving boat could be deepened, but otherwise it is looking great.

• Upvote 5

those water physics look pretty snazzy!

I wonder how it'll be when we have to ditch an airplane into that

Edited by 19//Moach

Looking good!

If I had one nitpick, it looks like the ship isn't displacing very much water and is only sitting 2-3' deep.

There are two torpedo boats in this clip.

1st one is a german Schnellboot S-38. You may to compare it's set on the water using this photo:

S%2068%2001%20(1943).jpg

s63-Dietrich%20Howaldt.jpg

Second one is a G-5 series 11 soviet torpedo boat which was a Hydroplane boat. So yes, in movement it's placed realy high:

yubiley_brigady_1.jpg

1497.jpg

And yes, this hydroplaning effect is a new feature of ships physics in IL-2 Sturmovik.

• Upvote 26

Looks good. Will crew members/gunners be modelled for the boats?

And to think there was a time I thought flight sims were dying away.

Great Job 777 !!!!!!!! :)

Human controlled torpedo boats! 

That is what I thinking about when watching the video! 

Looks promising!

Great work Team! 

• Upvote 1

The new campaign careers are a great improvement!

The sea and torpedo boats are great let us wait for the destroyers and landing crafts to judge this sea fleets in an air battle game?!

For all this and the announcement about patch 1.012 let us say thanks to the development team.  :salute: 

Edited by senseispcc

amazing! guys. looking forward to starting my first campaign :salute:

The new carrer mode looks to good... :dance:

1st one is a german Schnellboot S-38. You may to compare it's set on the water using this photo:

That's a bad reference because the boat in on top of a wave. This video contains good footage:

Compared to the video your S-boat has a too high lateral stability. Do we get a new sub section for float model discussion? :biggrin:

• Upvote 4

All looking very good!

Thanks for the update Han.

Forget human-controlled tanks...

... what about human-controlled torpedo boats  !

:cool:

Great update. I really like the new water effects. The bow-wave on the slow moving boat could be deepened, but otherwise it is looking great.

Hi Dev-Team,

you're doing a tremendous job - and always very very nice. I'm so exited about BOK and happy I pre-ordered it.

This work IS amazing...

Just a little advise from my side:

Forget about the human-controlled torpedo boats... what about more human controlled tanks...  ;)

Cheers

Edited by Therion

Looks very nice overall :biggrin:

Career mode sounds much like the RoF one but with much more dynamic front lines and greater connection between what's happening at the front and in the generated missions, which is really all I could hope for, since I enjoyed the RoF career mode quite a bit.

Do you plan on including encounters with real life aces as in RoF as well?

• Upvote 3

Do we get a new sub section for float model discussion?

Oh, JtD ... Don't give them ideas! Nothing good can come out of that one. ;)

I have to say that those banner for the VVS units looks even better than the axis units emblems :)

The Luftwaffe also used such banners (called Truppenfahne) but according to regs these were standardized and only very very few had any individualism in them.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/Lw_Fahne_Fliegende_Einheiten_VR.svg/706px-Lw_Fahne_Fliegende_Einheiten_VR.svg.png (not posted directly due to too many swastikas).

The colours were based on the branches ... Flying units (such as above) used yellow, Flak troops red, communication troops brown and Fallschirmjäger used green. It was more of a nod to tradition (all Regiments and even Battalions of the old Imperial Military used banners and their successors carried them on - until 1945 that is), though.

Edited by csThor

Looks really great. Just look at the amazing sequence with the hills in the background - what a great scenery! 

Glad to here career-Mode is also coming along nicely. I've spend several hundred hours in career-mode in RoF and I'm really looking forward the see this new reincarnation.

Thanks devs!

:salute:

Flo

Using Oculus VR  ( and depending on if we ever get to captain these MTBs) I am beginning to feel sea-sick already! :blink:

Edited by Blitzen
  • Upvote 1