Salutations,

Tank Commanders... Start Your Vehicles. The Battle Awaits! 

Basic Tank Control Reference Chart Available Below

Mission Feedback or questions would be very appreciated. TANK CREW required for player access to the Tiger or Kv 1.

NOTES: This is a series of loosely connected single player set piece tank missions set upon the Lapino map. The missions include the Pz III L, T-34 and the Kv1. I'm Beginning work on a Tiger mission.

Eight missions are currently available including the three safe gunnery practice range missions that includes the Tiger.

Keep em rolling Tankers. :salute:

IL2BasicTankControls.rar

HoldTheLine2005c.zip

Edited by Thad
  • Upvote 13

Sounds interesting i will give it a try in the week

Salutations,

The link I have set up displays Look at and the [Open] option. One can still download the file, but I prefer to have it give the [download] option to begin with.

What am I doing wrong in my Dropbox setup? Any help would be appreciated..

The link takes me directly to the download option. Click d/l to get option for direct d/l or save to dropbox. I might be wrong but since it's your dropbox it gives you the other options.

Will give this a try tomorrow, I have to update some key mappings. Never added the tank commands when I switched to the TMWH.

Edited by Gramps

Ok, fine.... as long as others are getting the [download] option directly. Thanks.

Thank you for the mission.

I have one question, Where do I place the Audio folder?

Do I just place this whole mission folder in the "games mission folder"?

S!

Salutations,

Place the 'audio' folder in your games 'Missions' folder.  :salute:

You should extract the entire HoldTheLine folder to your 'Missions' folder. The Audio folder can be found inside the HoldTheLine folder and should be copied to your Missions Directory. It contains two .mp3 sound files.

There are also a Maps folder (for reference) and a README file. Sorry for any confusion.

The actual mission files are all that is really required to run the mission.

Working on the second mission of the series already.

See image below.

post-119325-0-34416900-1500579759_thumb.png

Edited by Thad

Please let me know if you enjoyed the mission and found it a challenge. It's meant to be a tough fight against greater numbers. :salute:

Good job Thad.

It looks like a fun mission but the AI being able to see through the trees kind of ruined it for me.

They were getting all the kills and I couldn't see them at all. Even with icons it's hard to hit them.

This is a game mechanic issue but it has ruined a lot of the tank missions that I started building myself.

I hope they can address this (low priority, i know...)

Salutations

Thanks for the comments Jade_Monkey.

Yes, the AI being able to see and, fire through trees, is a real problem. They can see through elevation too, but fortunately, they can't fire through such terrain.

Myself and my fellow tester Bradd found the only way to overcome this, to a degree, was to use buildings to place our tank beside or between. Buildings provide protection from enemy fire. Players or AI can't fire through buildings. We found that by picking spots between buildings with a good field of fire on the enemy approach, one can take out many enemy tanks in relative safely. Especially in the T34.

Actually, the best I and my fellow AI town defenders have ever done was twelve (12) enemy unit kills. With that tally I received what is set up as a moral 'tactical' victory result. Any less would be a loss.

Question? Just thought of it. Do you know if there are any game objects that can be added to a map that also stop enemy fire?

Let me know if anybody does better than 12 total kills. Oh, and please share how it was done. Thanks.

And yes, that is a challenge.

No modifying the actual mission please. Good luck, you'll need it.

Edited by Thad

Salutations Fellow Tankers,

I am pleased do announce my second tank mission for community play!

Tank Commanders... Put You Helmets Back On. A New Battle Awaits!

Non-Historical Single Player Set Piece Mission

Player: VVS

Mission 2: Defend Southern Pravoe in the "Peschanka Gambit"

Situation: The ravaging of our beloved Lapino sector continues. It has been just over two hours since the fall of Peschanka. German re-enforcements and engineer units have streamed into Peschanka to make equipment repairs and change unit deployments in and around Penshanka. The activity has been non-stop. German units are now clearly deploying for an eminent attack. For our part, we have been digging in and placing forces for the defense of Pravoe for nearly three days. We have sheperded our forces and plan to give the enemy a solid thumping.

RE-ENFORCEMENTS: A few reserve tanks and perhaps some assistance from our air forces despite their recent heavy losses. The situation appears daunting but we have prepared to defend our posiitons to the death.

A T-34 Tank Mission By: Thad

Place the included HoldTheLine and Audio folders in your games 'Missions' Directory.

Player feedback is appreciated.

Tactical Hint: Don't be too quick to expose yourself. You have AI allies. Let them do their part. Also, a 'stalemate' mission result should be considered a win.

HoldTheLine_V2.zip

post-119325-0-55973300-1502384147_thumb.png

Edited by Thad

Salutations,

I'm pleased you like the mission. Yes, I have provided a 'target rich' environment. :biggrin:

I'm currently completing another mission played as a German Panzer Company commander in the Pz III.

Salutations Fellow Tankers.

I am pleased do announce my third tank mission for community play!

Company Tank Commanders... A New Attack Awaits!

Non-Historical Single Player Set Piece Mission

Player: Axis

MISSION: As Company Commander, your panzers must execute an advance East of Peschanka to destroy enemy ammo stockpiles and capture reported fuel reserves.

Time: 09:55

Date: 25th August 1942

WEATHER: Overcast with Rain

MAIN OBJECTIVE: Capture a nearby enemy fuel depot.

SITUATION: It has been just over two hours since our capture of the town of Peschanka. Equipment repairs and replacements have been completed. Our main force began its' attack towards Pravoe tweny minutes ago.

You have briefed your subordinate commanders for the upcoming operation. Light resistance is expected but we must remain cautious.

Panzer platoon one will advance along the right side of the road to Volzanka. Platoon two will proceed along the left side. Heavy Pz IV platoon three will followup along the left side while our Stugg platoon will proceed, in trail, along the road. There is a chance the enemy will destroy their depots before we can secure them.

RE-ENFORCEMENTS: Perhaps a single flight from our air force.

A Breach The Line (BTL) Pz III L Tank Mission By: Thad

Place the included HoldTheLine and Audio (new voice files) folders in your games 'Missions' Directory.

Player feedback is appreciated. Especially if you find the mission too easy.

NOTE: INCLUDES ALL PREVIOUS MISSIONS

post-119325-0-00136400-1503326053_thumb.png

HoldTheLine_V3.zip

Edited by Thad

It's usually a thankless job... but some diehard tanker has to do it.  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Salutations, I'm pleased you like my missions.  :salute: 

Thanks Thad!!!! What a great contribution! I was already addicted to the "Last Man Standing" missions and now... WOW!!! New tanks (new to me anyhow -nice to see more than just the Pz.Kpfw III), new artillery (I've never seen the 88's before), new scenery, (I like the little church) and new challenges! I destroyed 9 tanks at Peshanka in one attempt this afternoon. Seven in another... I'm still amazed by the graphics of Il-2 in general and cannot comprehend the programming that must go into creating these games - let alone replaying them from different vantage points. Especially the scenes from the aircraft overhead, bombing runs, battle damage, etc! How is it possible? Where can I learn more about how these games are created?

I'm a photographer with a pretty beefy PC rig that I assembled myself a few years ago. Only started playing games recently. Maybe they're all this good/realistic.

I have been fascinated with history and specifically the history of WW2 since I was a preteen. I remember reading "Panzer Leader", "Stuka Pilot", and "Luftwaffe War Diaries" at an early age. Many others since then.

I always wanted to be a pilot/tanker but now I'm glad I can experience the war vicariously. Il-2 has given me a new appreciation for what the pilots and tankers went through... The horror of being in a tank and taking incoming rounds! I cannot imagine the gamut of emotions... the terror, the camaraderie, the joy, the sorrow...

Any chance we'll have Panthers or Tigers to compete with the T-34s? Thanks again for your excellent contributions!!!

Edited by Valkyrie23HalconAuge

I've racked up a number of 8-9 kills in the HTL 1 Peschanka mission - best was 11 tanks + 1 AAA. Lately I've been frustrated by what appears to be early termination of game after taking very little battle damage and no conclusive hits - around the 8 minute mark - often preceded by fanfare and a message congratulating me on my value to the Motherland... Is that the signal of the 'moral tactical victory'?

It's still a great challenge and a very engaging mission!

I like the "no win" scenario... kind of a Viking thing I guess. Thanks again!

Edited by Valkyrie23FalkeAuge

Salutations,

Thanks for the feedback.

Great job. 12 kills is very good and should indeed be considered a moral victory. Actually, 12 was the best number of kills I personally achieved during testing. This mission was meant to be basically unwinnable versus overwhelming German forces.

It is possible to win the second in the series. Possible.

The third? You will have to find out yourself. In it you are the German Company Commander. I was able to win as the German but sometimes the Russians destroyed the fuel dump before I could capture it.

If I remember correctly, the apparent early mission termination may be do to the Germans getting a number of units into the 'objective area'. If that number is reached or exceeded, the mission will be terminated and should be a German win.

Edited by Thad

Thanks! Any possibility to play it in coop with friend against AI? Or pvp? My friend owns BoS and he is more interesting in tanks than flying, would be nice to play some missions with him in coop.

13 hours ago, Thad said:

3.001 update.

HoldTheLine_V3001.zip

Thad and Jade_Monkey, I have gave Lapino template a completely new make-over.  I'd wish I could sent you fully customized Lapino template (you know with the building blocks made by developers), I'd spend nearly a month of analyze it, placing the right blocks (still totally not finished) and save it over and over until it looks right (including using the Moscow and Kuban pieces) from railway cars to even retro-fitting the airfields.

If anyone wants a piece of this work sure (If I know where to uploading without any registering), that would great to see screenshots on months on hard work to retro-fitting Lapino.  If you read this thank you so much.

Edited by Junjun_Nikurasu

3 hours ago, NahkaSukka said:

Thanks! Any possibility to play it in coop with friend against AI? Or pvp? My friend owns BoS and he is more interesting in tanks than flying, would be nice to play some missions with him in coop.

Salutations,

Not without changing the missions. I haven't gotten into creating coop or multiplayer missions, (yet) but they should be doable

Currently, as single player missions, there is one tank designated as the 'player'. In a coop mission the 'player' designation isn't used so more than one person can enter craft made available. I would have to do some investigating of some current coop and multiplayer missions to discover how they are set up. I will look into it. :salute:

Edited by Thad
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, currently one cannot create a 'coop' tank mission. Reason unknown. Apparently though, only aircraft can be accessed for use in coop. :mellow:

10 hours ago, Thad said:

Unfortunately, currently one cannot create a 'coop' tank mission. Reason unknown. Apparently though, only aircraft can be accessed for use in coop. :mellow:

Strange, but thanks for trying anyway! :)

Salutations tankers,

I have re-worked the PzIII BTL mission as of May 25. 

1. Many new voice files added for immersion.

2. Katyusha launchers added for a heavy artillery threat and visual impact.

3. Russian forces increased in numbers overall to include a desperate counter-attack.

Feedback on the German Pz III mission would be appreciated. New download below.

Place the included folders in your games Missions folder. Thanks.

HoldTheLine_v3001.rar

Edited by Thad
New version
  • Thanks 1

Hi Thad,

thx for the nice mission, had a lot of fun to learn and prepare for tank crew :biggrin:.

Could i aks you to make a single mission for me and others to have a traget practise range with different russian / german tank`s at  different distances with different angles from the shooting point without getting shot at, so we can train our aim and distance estimate? I would do it on my own, but this mission builder is a mess for me, Cliffs of Dover and even DCS is mutch better to handle for me.

regards

Little_D

Edited by 1./JG2_Little_D

Salutations,

I can come up with something for you. Do you want a Player Pz III and a Player T-34 mission? Do you want target tanks stationary, moving or both?

Hi Thad,

i would like to have one Pz III misssion with different tanks, trucks and artillery at different distances and angles to me as target. From 200m - 1400m, also some moving trucks would be cool and tanks also as long they dont fire back :biggrin:. Should be nothing more than a shooting training range, like for a golf play.

regards

Little_D

Alright, I'll get to work on it later today. :salute:

Salutations,

I have put together a Gunnery Range tank mission.

There are some moving units from the west that will fire upon your position, if they get close enough.

PzIII Firing Practice Range.rar

Hi Thad,

thx again, nice mission, good for training. Have set my gun range to 800m and left it there. Now i can train to kill different targets at different ranges

between 100m - 1400m. Without having to set in a fight a different gun range, saves time. As german tanks can fire more rounds per minute than the

russian tanks + les time for aiming and fire gives in a fight a little bit of an advantage :soldier::hunter::joy:.

regards

Little_D

Edited by 1./JG2_Little_D
  • Upvote 1