Jason_Williams

Developer Diary, Part 163 - Discussion

Careful Feathered. Those barrels hold the ground crews vodka rations. You don't want to mess with the size of those.

• Upvote 8

So FM change and Spitfire comes on the 6th of july? I cant wait for the FM change!

So FM change and Spitfire comes on the 6th of july? I cant wait for the FM change!

Apparently no Its just the Spit coming on July 6th however it most likely will have an "upgraded" FM  :salute:

Spit and revised Moscow airfields are the main elements of 2.010.

Spit and revised Moscow airfields are the main elements of 2.010.

Actually I believe that will be 2.011, we are currently flying 2.010.

Actually I believe that will be 2.011, we are currently flying 2.010.

Yes 2.011 was what I meant to write.

Btw: the update will also bring the Blazing Steppe static campaign, so there are 3 major things to look out for.

Yes 2.011 was what I meant to write.

Btw: the update will also bring the Blazing Steppe static campaign, so there are 3 major things to look out for.

Oh yeah forgot about the campaign, have that pre-ordered and looking forward to it!

Not fussed... after all the hype and getting excited for the Spitfire, only to find it was being held back until after the sale on the 6th, I've found other things to do :)

• Upvote 1

For the last 2 DD's:

Loving the Spitfire's view forward and downward. Blind flying instruments nicely in field of vision. Good optics. Nice canopy framing. Makes me glad to take the speed hit in having the bullet-proofing on the outside.

Also, I notice that big red knob overhead. Splendid. One never knows when one might need one. Caterpillar Club and all, what, what? Silk map and French phrase book, "hande hoch!" Running like sh1t. The long walk into Spain. Debriefing in Gib. Ah, the nostalgia...

As a lover of the old bird, and as her long-term gentleman aquaintence, I'm very very much looking forward to this.

For the graphics tweak, this very much makes me look forward to dawn and dusk action just to take in those long shadows. 1CGS/777 Keeping it real(istic). Thanyou for the better shadows, they look beautiful.

JR :salute:

• Upvote 1

I liked the pictures of the Spit in the other thread with U.S. markings. Even tho she'll always look better to me with RAF roundels, always being a fan of the USAAF's 4thFG makes me eager to fly her in U.S. markings too.  I'm sure someone will do Gentile's Buckeye Don. I've got to get my head wrapped around skinning in this sim soon. I've struggled from the git go with Gimp and Photoshop. So much more complex than Photoshop 7 I was used to.

Trees are pretty big in real life.

That's why you speak softly and carry a big chainsaw :)

I liked the pictures of the Spit in the other thread with U.S. markings. Even tho she'll always look better to me with RAF roundels, always being a fan of the USAAF's 4thFG makes me eager to fly her in U.S. markings too.  I'm sure someone will do Gentile's Buckeye Don. I've got to get my head wrapped around skinning in this sim soon. I've struggled from the git go with Gimp and Photoshop. So much more complex than Photoshop 7 I was used to.

Don't give up. I was doing reasonably well in Gimp with only an old fashioned background in pen and ink. No digitial art skills to speak of prior to skinning here. Then the server I play on stopped allowing custom skins and I lost interest.

I liked the pictures of the Spit in the other thread with U.S. markings. Even tho she'll always look better to me with RAF roundels, always being a fan of the USAAF's 4thFG makes me eager to fly her in U.S. markings too. I'm sure someone will do Gentile's Buckeye Don. I've got to get my head wrapped around skinning in this sim soon. I've struggled from the git go with Gimp and Photoshop. So much more complex than Photoshop 7 I was used to.

As a digital (and traditional) artist/skinner for many years I can tell you that the basic functionality of Photoshop has not changed, especially with regard to layering, painting etc. There are more tools etc, but nothing that changes the basic workflow.

As with most software the 80/20 rule applies.

80% of the work can be done with 20% of the program.

I'll knock out at least one Spit skin, but the minute the Kuban map hits I have to get to campaign building.

Edited by Gambit21

When I wrote Photoshop 7 I meant to write Paint Shop Pro 7. I guess I was typing faster than I was thinking. Which is scary considering how slowly I type. Regardless I was very used to PSP7. The other two are a work in progress.

Master server updated, my server went down.....no I need a new server version......where is the update :)

Developer Diary at the top of the new content list... Damn, still number 163.

Back to refreshing.

I'm making that error to quiet often. We are waiting for number 164 now :)

Grt M

I'm making that error to quiet often. We are waiting for number 164 now :)

Grt M

I bet we won't see #164 this week. We have just received the update with the announcement. That's more than enough for this week.

I bet we won't see #164 this week. We have just received the update with the announcement. That's more than enough for this week.

That's true. Which is fine btw. 

Grt M

This plane is even more cool than I thought it would be.   Just spent the last hour doing quick missions, figuring out the best engine settings, and generally trying to get the feel for it's handling and gunnery, and I already know that this plane is going to become one of my very favorites.  I'm very happy, great job!

I spent about 2 hours fooling around with the new update and I think they nailed it with the Spitfire. It's probably going to be the most popular plane in game for a very long time. Legendary status and Western-made aside, it's very easy to control on the ground and landings are a breeze. Not to much in terms of managing the engine and you don't have to worry too much about flying at full RPM. The bird flies like a dream and can turn on a dime. I also tried inverted flight and after adding some trim, it just sits straight - awesome! You can't overdo it though, you'll choke the carburettor, but hard dives with negative Gs are fine.

The only challenge I find here is gunnery - the cannons don't have much ammo and the MGs are pretty much useless, since there is no AP ammo.

All in all, if you are a WWII air combat enthusiast, you owe it to yourself to get this plane.

• Upvote 1

Beautiful Spitfire.

Starting to have a nice stable. of planes, and that's the way it should be.

The only challenge I find here is gunnery - the cannons don't have much ammo and the MGs are pretty much useless, since there is no AP ammo.

All in all, if you are a WWII air combat enthusiast, you owe it to yourself to get this plane.

It certainly is a challenge with the ammo, I had a go at a Ju52 today, all ammo on critical spots and still didn't get it down, im going for pilot kills next :)

I did fly the Spitfire in  other simulation and I find this one not to far from the other ones.

Plus the development team did correct, my opinion, the problem with the upper nose form of the  plane just behind the spinner, thank to the hard work.

:salute: 

I did fly the Spitfire in other simulation and I find this one not to far from the other ones.

Plus the development team did correct, my opinion, the problem with the upper nose form of the plane just behind the spinner, thank to the hard work.

:salute:

To my knowledge the external model hasn't been changed. Maybe you just saw it from a bad angle before.

From what I can tell the nose section looks pretty accurate to my refferences.

To my knowledge the external model hasn't been changed. Maybe you just saw it from a bad angle before.

From what I can tell the nose section looks pretty accurate to my refferences.

They rebuilt the model for the Spitfire. 

It was in one of the early BOK dev diaries but I don't have the patience to look it up.

New shadows, great! BTW: did I miss a planned improvement of the actual odd rain model? When it is raining the drops and trickles on the canopy are missing.

No, you didn't miss it.