Jason_Williams

Developer Diary, Part 163 - Discussion

Like I say, I don't really mind, I'm just being wonderingly pedantic.

9a8391242a596de4a79d53f827680696.jpg

08es09_008.jpg

Given that the top tip of the armored glass frame is level, or maybe even a touch higher than the rest of the front canopy frame, the amount of perspex is not large and set almost perpendicular (Gosh, that's a long word, it was tiring even just writing it out) to the pilots view it appears to me that there should be almost nothing of the perspex, let alone the outside world, visible when the pilot is sitting normally in the cockpit, a happy overlapping of framework members minimizing obstructions. The picture supplied of the BoX Spit's cockpit, although set much further back, seems to almost put the pilots view of that portion of the canopy from as if viewed from the top of the joystick.

Although a much distorted view (Vc), it seems to show about the same amount of perspex as the pic of the BoX Spit and yet the photographs view point is clearly much lower than a pilots eye line would normally be unless he was very "G" d up (obviously)  ;)

Spitfire_airplane_aircraft_World_War_II_

You can see from this pic, the pilots head position, in relation to the canopy.

spitv_01.JPG

I'm just trying to balance out the whining, so the 190 fans don't feel all alone  :P

Edited by HagarTheHorrible

I am finding it difficult to see how the view could possibly be wrong, unless either:

1) Refraction - which should not be an issue while looking through the non-armoured sections, although it obviously affects the look of the bottom support bar of the armoured glass;  or

2) The dimensions of the 3D model are incorrect; or

3) The game engine does not accurately represent geometry when rendering a single point 2D view from a 3D model.

If people do think the view is wrong, which is it?

I think I know what the bar at the bottom of the windscreen is. Very thoughtful designers (typically British, always thoughtful) in the absence of a windscreen wiper they've provided a place for traffic wardens to pop their tickets. How considerate.

• Upvote 1

This pic of a Vb canopy seems to suggest the top of the armored glass framing is to low and that nothing outside would be visible between the armored glass frame and the front canopy frame, or at least not from a normal pilots head position

I was actually trying to figure out what the external bar was, at the bottom of the armored glass.  Petrol spray cleaning/ de-icing ?

The thin bar is indeed for de-icing the armoured glass.

03.jpg

A couple of times is mentioned Trooper117's images of the Spitfire in the previous DD.

Unfortunately images are not visible since Photobucket does not allow third party hosting anymore unless you update (read: pay $$$$$). :(  :angry:

http://photobucket.com/p500/

Edited by Uufflakke

Great update guys, thank you very much, looking forward to the patch. :salute:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. :biggrin:

Looking at all these photos I would agree the top part is a little bit over extrusive and in the name of 100% accuracy it could probably do with being lowered a little bit, however its not a practicality issue such as the lower bar being too high which I am grateful was fixed.  :salute:

Apart from modelling accuracy there would be slither of improved upper forward view in between what I assume are the canopy release leavers and the inside part of the armoured windscreen frame  :)  :happy:

going to use this image again incase no one can tell where I am talking about  :lol:

8cb045bb3a6e8c2dfb2a0c8e2f429896.jpg

Seeing your own plane's shadow on the ground is a highly welcome addition. It may be a detail, but it's an important one when judging how close to the ground you are.

Thanks for keeping your promise not to release anything until I got home Jason. We are now back in Australia so you can start releasing goodies, thanks.

• Upvote 2

Great update. Love these DDs :)

Its only fantastic, great work on shadows and the Spitfire cockpit.

"adjusted the contrast of our dials and gauges making them easier to read"  perfect, thats what i needed :)

Thank you and have a nice weekend

I am promoting il2 on our websites to our flightsim guys, hope it will get some more guys to be excited about this great sim  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Seeing your own plane's shadow on the ground is a highly welcome addition. It may be a detail, but it's an important one when judging how close to the ground you are.

^ this...

Also, never really noticed but do planes cast shadows on other planes?

Wot he said above.........

e34b7a8f29a20941eebf0fdcb6b7dcf3.jpg

Sometimes, sometimes, the reproduction is "OH", so much better than the original !!!!!!

4353340.jpg

You cannot fashion a wit out of two half-wits. Neil Kinnock
Edited by HagarTheHorrible

So whats actually coming with the next update?

I was thinking that since they waited to release the Spitfire would the FM updates for all aircraft be finished in time for this update? Or am I over expecting the teams work rate again..  :ph34r:

OR will it just be Spit & campaign mission?  :blink:  And then FM updates & updated shaders in two weeks from that??  :huh:

Thursday honestly could not come sooner  :dry:  

Sometimes, sometimes, the reproduction is "OH", so much better than the original !!!!!!

That's true. I wonder though, how many "original" parts are in either? :)  They do both look good nonetheless.

• Upvote 1

So whats actually coming with the next update?

The next update - according to the dev diary - will give us the Spitfire and the major re-working of the Moscow map airfields.

The following update - due for release around the end of July/beginning of August - will give us the re-worked FMs and the new shadow effects.

• Upvote 1

^ this...

Also, never really noticed but do planes cast shadows on other planes?

yes.

v2011 for the Spitfire July, 

v2012 for the FM, Shadows, and reworked Moscow airfields, also we should start to see the Kuban map soon.

and whom can we say photobombed the Original Spitfire girls?

post-429-0-67156900-1499021735_thumb.jpg

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff

I'm behaving like I care, I don't really, I think the Spit looks lovely.

This pic of a Vb canopy seems to suggest the top of the armored glass framing is to low and that nothing outside would be visible between the armored glass frame and the front canopy frame, or at least not from a normal pilots head position

I was actually trying to figure out what the external bar was, at the bottom of the armored glass.  Petrol spray cleaning/ de-icing ?

Also a point to note for skinners is the bare metal on the front canopy frame from pilots getting in and out of the cockpit.

Spitfire-MkVb-RAF-121Sqn-AV-R-BM590-Capt

yes I think the same "H.".

4353340.jpg

Careful people; that could be someone's mother!   --   No not them, the one in the short shorts!  :acute: 

Looking at all these photos I would agree the top part is a little bit over extrusive and in the name of 100% accuracy it could probably do with being lowered a little bit, however its not a practicality issue such as the lower bar being too high which I am grateful was fixed.  :salute:

Apart from modelling accuracy there would be slither of improved upper forward view in between what I assume are the canopy release leavers and the inside part of the armoured windscreen frame  :)  :happy:

going to use this image again incase no one can tell where I am talking about  :lol:

8cb045bb3a6e8c2dfb2a0c8e2f429896.jpg

I just wanted to know what you guys are thinking about the CloD's rendition of the Spit.cockpit.

AFAIK I find the overall rendition far more busy and the windscreen and its  external armour looks more realistic also.

Looks to me that the CloD rendition is far more immersive, visually I mean.

There were not that much diffrence between a Spit II and Vb/c cockpit layout anyway. 

I'd like to have your thoughts about it.

Anyway, waiting eagerly for this BoX release.

Nice job.

Madcop.

Madcop;  Cliffs 'pits are very nice indeed but getting a bit long in the tooth now.  We saw the first renders of the 'Spit cockpit way back in 2006.

The problem with CLoD 'pits was the amount of time it took to make them to that standard - around six months!

They became one of the many nails in the coffin of Maddox Games. :blink:

Madcop;  Cliffs 'pits are very nice indeed but getting a bit long in the tooth now.  We saw the first renders of the 'Spit cockpit way back in 2006.

The problem with CLoD 'pits was the amount of time it took to make them to that standard - around six months!

They became one of the many nails in the coffin of Maddox Games. :blink:

Still don't understand why those over-saturated, 2D sprite pits get such a rave review.

... those over-saturated, 2D sprite pits 

... with some 2D parts, lacking basic animations (trim wheels, brake lever...), working rear mirror, does not faithfully reproduce Mk. I nor Mk.II cockpit... but have that "look".  :)

S!

Great update. But... is it just me, or do the trees look absolutely huge compared to the houses?

S!

Great update. But... is it just me, or do the trees look absolutely huge compared to the houses?

Dear lord is this the level that we now feel we should complain about? Really?

• Upvote 2

Dear lord is this the level that we now feel we should complain about? Really?

I'm not complaining, I asked a question to confirm my feeling. But IMHO a simulator should have the scale of things correct to properly call itself a simulator. It's not a hard thing to do.

I'm not complaining, I asked a question to confirm my feeling. But IMHO a simulator should have the scale of things correct to properly call itself a simulator. It's not a hard thing to do.

I guess, but I suppose I spend more time flying than looking at the houses.

Sometimes I've also thought that the scales between houses and e.g. ammo dumps are a bit off. Mainly noticed it when in Mission Editor.

Something I've never mastered beyond simple flights. I've also got no idea how big ammo dumps, houses or trees were in Russia at the time so I'll back away slowly :)

• Upvote 1

I guess, but I suppose I spend more time flying than looking at the houses.

Some of us gropos spend quite a bit of time looking towards the ground. :D

• Upvote 1

I've also got no idea how big ammo dumps, houses or trees were in Russia at the time so I'll back away slowly :)

Neither do I, there's just something about them that feels like the scale is a bit off.

• Upvote 1

TWOOOOO DAAYSSS :biggrin:

...until the update is definitely close. They didn't say, that it'd be coming on the 6th, just "at some point after that" ;)

Don't take it too seriously. I just love torturing people...

...until the update is definitely close. They didn't say, that it'd be coming on the 6th, just "at some point after that" ;)

Don't take it too seriously. I just love torturing people...

Tooooo be honest and I can't believe I am saying this but it being any later than it already is I wouldn't be that bothered, I am working all of the 6th and then away at a festival till the 10th so selfishly It wouldn't be the end of the world for me..I am already a broken man after waiting this long for my baby anyways, sticking another sword in my side wouldn't be the worst right now :lol:  :P  

S!

Forested steppe areas have usually mix of birch,aspen (15-30m height) and oak trees (up to 40m).

I think the trees are fine for scale.  Some other objects could do with some size coordination though.

Screenshot78182_zpspyvkfby3.jpg

• Upvote 4