Jason_Williams

Developer Diary, Part 163 - Discussion

Hello Pilots,

I have been in Moscow all week with the team working on many things both current and future. Before I head home to California I want to share some images of the Spitfire cockpit and our new shadow tech. You heard right, our shadows have been re-worked and they look awesome!! They are sharper, your plane projects its own shadow on the ground while in the cockpit and objects such as trees and buildings and vehicles cast their own dynamic shadows on everything! We’ve also increased the distance at which shadows are drawn. This makes the scenery like villages and ground combat environments looks even more realistic. And shadows in cockpits will also be sharper with all details casting shadows. When everything is in motion is just looks great.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here
You can ask new questions in this thread
  • Upvote 8

FIXED.

Those pics are looking great!!!

The previous change on the tree shadow contrast was really nice, so i expect this one will feel great too!!

Edited by Jade_Monkey

New shadows, that! Is! Awesome! :biggrin:

Shadows do so much to make objects and scenery come to life. This will be a great, yet subtle improvement on visuals.

Any idea about a possible performance hit?

Wow, those shadows look superb! You guys continue to knock the ball out of the park.

Very exciting, the Spit cockpit is gorgeous and I can not wait to climb into it!!

Great news! looks like version 2.012 will be a massive update!

Give us 2.011 first, and stop teasing us with 2.012! :biggrin:

Have a nice week-end, and a safe trip back to California.

Cheers,

Edited by PA-Sniv
  • Upvote 1

Not sure If I am seeing things but the bar looks a bit thinner! WHICH IS AWESOME NEWS wooohooo  :biggrin:  :salute:

Thanks for the update Jason.

This sim is constantly improving, unlike my flying skills.

A big thanks from me, to all of those people involved with the making and development of this game.

Spitfire and vkb gunfighter coming next week, could be on the same day and i have a day off from work on 6th.

Now that could be a perfect day (if my gf don't ruin it).

Still Kuban map stays my biggest anticipation, just one month away.

• Upvote 1

How is the rear vision inside spitfire cockpit ??

:)

i like to see some image.

thx

great work,  waiting for next patch.

:salute:  

How is the rear vision inside spitfire cockpit ??

Rear vision is always 20-20 XD

Sorry for the horrible joke, I couldn't resist. Also I'm not sure non-natives will understand.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the Dev Diary, Jason.  Looking forward to all this a great deal.   :salute:

the new shadows look fantastic! i'm really looking forward to 2.012 with all the major changes it will bring with it!

great team ! as usual ! I can't wait to try all this new stuff !

You're awsome !!!

All I can say is wow. Those cockpit shadows make a big difference. Just another proof that you guys are number one.

• Upvote 1

Ooooooo, purdy!

I can't wait for the Kuban map and the rest of the planes to come out. With all these visual improvements it will be an absolute joy to fly, fight and bomb things!

Thx jason the Future is bright for us and IL2 Game

Edited by II/JG11ATLAN

Outstanding!

This was a subject of conversation not long ago and now both the contrast and the shadow thing have been updated. Superb!

It's things like this that keep IL*2 on top. They are constantly making improvements to the core game while working simultaneously on the release of the next title. They don't throw up a bunch of pictures of eye candy that will take years to be released if ever. We don't have to worry about three separate versions of IL*2 that have things broken with every update. These guys are a shining example of how a flight sim developer should conduct business.

• Upvote 4

It's things like this that keep IL*2 on top. They are constantly making improvements to the core game while working simultaneously on the release of the next title. They don't throw up a bunch of pictures of eye candy that will take years to be released if ever. We don't have to worry about three separate versions of IL*2 that have things broken with every update. These guys are a shining example of how a flight sim developer should conduct business.

Absolutely, by far the best dedication from a dev team with a proven history of underpromising and overdelivering, managing expectations and never leaving people hanging.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely, by far the best dedication from a dev team with a proven history of underpromising and overdelivering, managing expectations and never leaving people hanging.

Don't tell this to steam reviewers lol!

Ps: Just to clear things up: absolutely on your side ;)

Edited by 216th_Jordan

This is looking excellent, the new shaddow thing might be the one tipping me over to buy a new PC. Is there any major FPS loss using it? compared of today? I am very glad for this , so I am not ranting, I do not expect developers considering my old PC while updating the game

Addition of proper cockpits shadowing + improved FM = almost reaching the status of prefect product, by completion of version 2.012. Thank you for your dedication Jason and team. Long live il2 brand.

O.