Han

Developer Diary, Part 160 - Discussion

1. The sub looks amazing, especially for a flight sim.
  2. Great to hear about the step up with TacView - will it now include correct aircraft icons? 
  3. One of my little dreams is to have my father, who will be 85 when this comes out, fly the Spit in VR. I think he's going to like it, especially in of those cracker RAF skins. Better yet if we can fly together. Too cool. 

You guys get our weekends off to a great start. TY for the crazily impressive progress.

I think we should stop the Stipfire "bashing" and that include me until we have actually see one on our screens and most importantly feel for a pair of hours the beast and got a good personal and on the hand reason to criticize it! And then, even then remember that we are not real ww2 Russian or allied pilots how flies real Spitfires but this Spitfire originate in a little box full of electronics that simulate all of this, it shall never be perfect! It tries to and it is the "maximum" that can be done in the confines of the PC's we all have. I thank again and again the development team for their great work in matching restrictions of economics and the materials used with the hopes of the players, thank you!  :salute:

Edited by senseispcc
  • Upvote 1

Good update  :salute:

Why is everybody so fond of the Spit? Personally I think it is a very boring plane. From its looks and also the cockpit  :P  :lol:  :)  :)

It's closest thing to a Hurricane we'll get  :lol: .

Just like the number of Vya-23 equipped lagg3 fighters found on TAW and WOL currently? Yep.

And you can't even get your headrest removed on a F4.

I think we should stop the Stipfire "bashing"

Don't worry.  It's turning into the usual Luftwhining business as usual :salute:

There is only 'Spitfire bashing' going on because there is something new to have a go at... doesn't matter what the aircraft, the nationality etc, there are people out there that are never happy unless they have something to gripe about... it's just human nature at work.

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the news and pics.

Edited by Klaue

I am most excited about the rudder FM change. It comes earlier than it was to be expected after the latest news !

Another IL2 milestone

• Upvote 1

I know it's not historical accurate, but maybe some fictional skins based on other Spitfires? Just to make the plane more "Eastern Front" friendly.

spitfire-mkix-uti-russian-service-1-72-k

It's a minor issue anyways, thanks for the great job, can't wait to fly it! :)

Edited by Maurox

It's just preference, i guess. And off course it's quiet a iconic plane. I'm not to fond off it either, but i understand the appeal. 

the new careermode will be comparable with what they made with ROF. Maybe a bit fancy-er.

Grt M 

Thanks!

Was the ROF career mode dynamic or static? Did the front line move according to your successes or fails?

I can't remember since I've flown that mode just once like a hundred years ago...

Cheers

I know it's not historical accurate, but maybe some fictional skins based on other Spitfires? Just to make the plane more "Eastern Front" friendly.

spitfire-mkix-uti-russian-service-1-72-k

It's a minor issue anyways, thanks for the great job, can't wait to fly it! :)

This are Spitfire IXc but the two place version very rare, but thanks anywhere!  :salute:

Edited by senseispcc

The photo is at an angle. So it looks like only 5% too big after squinting at it for 5 minutes.

The mistake is near 15-20% I think. Trust me, I know very well this skin and Polish markings on RAF's Spitfire.

I hope this Zumbach's skin will be corrected in the final version because it spoils the final effect. Thank You.

Nowy-5JPG_aqenpxw.jpg

d1bd16689fc0e75938ca7d540980076d.jpg

Here is different example of my skin (the marking is in the other place but the size will be near the same in Zumbach Vb, in Zumbach's skin a little bigger, I agree but not like on skin preview ) http://i.imgur.com/61DJ7fx.jpg .

303.jpg

spitfire_mk_vb.jpg

DSC00821.jpg

Modern:

Spitfire_mark5b_ab910_of_the_bbmf_arp.jp

Edited by YoYo

The mistake is near 25-35%. Trust me, I know very well this skin and Polish markings on RAF's Spitfire.

I hope this Zumbach's skin will be corrected in the final version. Thank You.

Nowy-5JPG_aqenpxw.jpg

And what about color and shape of camo?

Thanks!

Was the ROF career mode dynamic or static? Did the front line move according to your successes or fails?

I can't remember since I've flown that mode just once like a hundred years ago...

Cheers

Static but in BOx could be other way or pleasant anyway :) Edited by 307_Tomcat

Thanks!

Cheers

Its is static in that there is no moving front and your performance has no impact on the upcoming events. It is dynamic based on the fact that every mission is generated new. 

Grt M

Edited by Martijnvdm

Its is static in that there is no moving front and your performance has no impact on the upcoming events. It is dynamic based on the fact that every mission is generated new.

Grt M

...and pilots in your squadron can come and go, be awarded medals, spend time recovering from wounds, be promoted, etc.

Squadrons will also move about the map and change out aircraft types based on historical reference materials. Real-life named aces can also be encountered.

So, it's probably best to call it a semi-dynamic career mode.

• Upvote 2

The Spit might liven up the FM sub-forum too, which has been quiet of late.  Counting down now.... 

Does it go 99 Lufties, 98 Lufties, 97 Lufties.............?

Relax about the skins guys. Soviet Spits didn't have a lot of variety so we added some UK and USA ones. We'll add a couple more Soviet skins if we can find some cool ones.

Jason

They do not have to be cool, regular Soviet would be fine ;-)

Great update! Looking forward to it! WTG!

About Spitfire's skins: all the options are good and great looking ones.

They do not have to be cool, regular Soviet would be fine ;-)

We have the regular Soviet one and you guys are complaining.

Jason

• Upvote 6

It's obvious WHY people are complaining, it's the imbalance - two Soviet skins and nine others. I'm sure that a few more Russian and a few less others would have satisfied everyone.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

It's obvious WHY people are complaining, it's the imbalance - two Soviet skins and nine others. I'm sure that a few more Russian and a few less others would have satisfied everyone.

Cheers.

You say "everyone" but that doesn't count me sorry :huh: . I am perfectly happy with the skin selection :biggrin: ! They look awesome and I can't wait to fly the beauty with gorgeous roundels on my wings  :salute:

• Upvote 4

Thanks Jason and team. Excellent work. Can't wait to fly in the spitfire.

A question on Spitfires used by russian pilots. Did they have to learn English or all the text indications in the cockpit were covered by russian ones.

The Spitfire had instrumentation with the Imperial system, and russian aircraft had instruments in the metric system. I suppose the russian pilots had to be trained to use the Imperial system.

I wonder if there have been accidents due to misinterpretation of the instrumentation.

If you could add plane insignia and markings separately on top of the skin, like in 1946, wouldn't that satisfy everyone? ;)

Thanks Jason and team. Excellent work. Can't wait to fly in the spitfire.

A question on Spitfires used by russian pilots. Did they have to learn English or all the text indications in the cockpit were covered by russian ones.

The Spitfire had instrumentation with the Imperial system, and russian aircraft had instruments in the metric system. I suppose the russian pilots had to be trained to use the Imperial system.

I wonder if there have been accidents due to misinterpretation of the instrumentation.

I doubt that it was much different from us flying aircraft with Russian/German instruments - you learn what each one is and means and then don't bother about the language, just concentrate on the numbers

You say "everyone" but that doesn't count me sorry :huh: . I am perfectly happy with the skin selection :biggrin: ! They look awesome and I can't wait to fly the beauty with gorgeous roundels on my wings  :salute:

+1.

• Upvote 1

A word to the wise on the subject of Soviet Spitfire VB's:

Engines: (In answer to a few questions raised in this thread.) The first half dozen serials no's I checked against various production batches (at least 3 different batches) were all Castle Bromwich made and fitted with the Merlin 46 engine. The Merlin 46 was virtually indentical to the Merlin 45 in operation and output, but developed full power round 14,000' (4267m) rather than the 45's 11,500' (3505m). Almost all props in evidence at Abadan were wooden-bladed rotol VP units, though in at least one photograph I've seen there is a machine with a blunter DeHavilliand metal bladed unit.

Paint Schemes: Photography and film from Abadan show all RAF markings deleted by overspraying and Soviet markings applied using stencils, and it appears that a black edge was applied by brush. Sky Type S fuselage bands were in evidence throughout, but yellow wing leading-edge markings were deleted - likely due to concerns regarding the Luftwaffe's use of yellow as a theatre ID colour.

Skin Diversity: Considering the small number of VB's delivered to the Soviet Union, the narrow window of their operational service, the scarcity of good quality photography, the uniformity of RAF applied painting and repainting; what you're left with are: different serial numbers. Hardly a sound basis for 10 distinctive skins. I'm fully confident that in a short time the community will flesh out our collection of Soviet marked aircraft. What we have out of the box is a skin set with a strongly international flavour, including Soviet, British, Canadian, Polish, French and US markings (to name the ones obvious to my eyes).

Edited by Johnny-Red
  • Upvote 2

We have the regular Soviet one and you guys are complaining.

Jason

I'm not complaining, only suggested a regular skin as there were more than one regular paint scheme for the Soviet Spits. A winter paint maybe?

Only a suggestion and not a complaint, plz note that.

I guess Jason should delay 2.011 release until enough Soviet Spitfire skins can be found and created to satisfy the whining masses...

as there were more than one regular paint scheme for the Soviet Spits. A winter paint maybe?

Source on that paint scheme claim? and afaik Soviet Spits never received winter camo.

Lots of attention on the skins... Personally I don't care so much.

I more excited about the other stuff: New career mode, improved airfields on the Moscow map in the next update, spitfire possibly in the same update, flight physics improvements in july, hotkeys for switching between stations... all pretty significant things, I'd say.

• Upvote 1

I'm not complaining, only suggested a regular skin as there were more than one regular paint scheme for the Soviet Spits. A winter paint maybe?

In the autumn of 1943 a revised cammo directive went out to VVS units to repaint fighters in a two-tone grey scheme to reduce visability at altitude rather than on the ground. This was a sign of the shifting fortunes of war on the Eastern Front. As the Luftwaffe moved towards the use of cammo schemes more sympathetic to concealment on the ground, so both Britain (in 1941) and the USSR (in 1943) swung towards the use of cammo to reduce visability in the air. These colour schemes were also less at odds with winter conditions and the use of white distemper fell out of favour.

Even if there had been VB's still in action in the winter of 1943/44, it's very unlikely they would have acquired a "winter coat"

• Upvote 1

Lots of attention on the skins... Personally I don't care so much.

I more excited about the other stuff: New career mode, improved airfields on the Moscow map in the next update, spitfire possibly in the same update, flight physics improvements in july, hotkeys for switching between stations... all pretty significant things, I'd say.

I am with you there!

The polish markings below are really big. Can somebody tell them to make them smaller just 10-15%, please....... :P:biggrin::P

63350d5898781a5504018b59fc07f1c1.jpg

G-6.jpg

post-14161-0-30005400-1497101833_thumb.jpg

Edited by Livai

I guess Jason should delay 2.011 release until enough Soviet Spitfire skins can be found and created to satisfy the whining masses...

Yes please. That would be great ;)

Same for me as well. I would have been looking for British skins for the Spitfire anyway, so I'm very pleased I have choice from the start.

• Upvote 5

I really thought all of the other cool stuff in the DD would've been the main focus of discussion. This has been a weird DD week.

• Upvote 1