Han

Developer Diary, Part 160 - Discussion

Fantastic progress update devs! :salute:

I have faithfully cheered on every advance this sim has made since I got my hands on the first flyable plane - and I've always stated that what is good for the sim is good for us all; but the Spitfire VB is something of a personal landmark for me:

I was in the pub a few weeks ago chatting with a friend who is also a veteran simmer and he recalled how I introduced him to Il-2 FB around 2005/6. "I remeber you telling me how Il-2 didn't have a Spitfire for the first few years and I didn't believe you..."

I could fly a Spitfire in (insert other flight sim name here), but this is the only place I want to fly one right now.

I have confidence in this sim and it's dev team to deliver the best, most colourful, immersive and diverse experience that money can currently buy. Another step closer.

Very much looking forward to seeing the release of flight performance data and loadout options as they become available.

Anyways, that's enough kiss-ups for now. When can I have my Spitfire?

I'm looking forward to facing it too, hope it fights a bit differently from a yak, maybe like a super i16 with less rolling?

Glad to hear, that the devs are willing to look at creating a couple more Soviet skins for the Spit. :)

I understand that the source material is limited and that very few Mk. Vs actually saw service in the VVS, but having just a single historical skin that fits the theatre we are actually going to fly in seems a bit on the low side. 2 or 3 historical Soviet skins in addition to the generic ones (will there be a white winter skin?) will do fine. If the rest are RAF or USAAF that'd be understandable.

Might I make a few humble suggestions?

post-13181-0-79826500-1496341794_thumb.jpg

post-13181-0-38542500-1496341830_thumb.jpg

post-13181-0-51576400-1496341862_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 11

Spit will be interesting! Nicely done model  :salute:

Glad to hear that career is going ahead as planned, thanks!

Lovely looking skins.  Nice to see the Spit in USAAF colours too! :salute:

Please to correct skin of Zumbach's Spitfire.

Polish markings is to big, a lot of too big:

Donald_color.jpg

Wrong:

post-19-0-32685000-1496322182.jpg

Edited by YoYo

It's only 10-15% too big but it's an easy fix.

The photo is at an angle. So it looks like only 5% too big after squinting at it for 5 minutes.

;)

Mostly comparing it to the stack and panel line. Went online to get a better version of the original photo. I'm old and squinty already.

Please to correct skin of Zumbach's Spitfire.

Polish markings is to big, a lot of too big:

Donald_color.jpg

Wrong:

post-19-0-32685000-1496322182.jpg

Look... pilot is wearing an oxygen mask.

Yes, and Jason has given his explanation for why they are not in the game.

• Upvote 2

Anyone yet know if we're going to get the LF VB with Merlin 50M (with or without clipped tips)?? 

• Upvote 1

To me the top of the nose, just behind the spinner where the engine begins, looks a tad too angular. I could be wrong of course. Otherwise great-looking model!

To me the top of the nose, just behind the spinner where the engine begins, looks a tad too angular. I could be wrong of course. Otherwise great-looking model!

I think its just the angle of that particular image, check out the others. :)

As to the Spit, well, I'll be flyinging as soon as it releases. (sorry, bank manager! needs must)

Im not concerned about the "out of place" skins, there seem to be enough Russian ones to suit most folk, but that's just me.

Then again, I RAF all my planes.

http://imgur.com/a/imtsI

Edited by OrLoK

See Jason's statement above. It will come in handy in the States, I have to get back digging those hundreds of coal mines.

With all the Spit skins you can have many Brit/Yank vs Germans scenarios on the maps already provided. A bit of imagination is all that is required.

Once again, good job all round devs.

• Upvote 3

With all the Spit skins you can have many Brit/Yank vs Germans scenarios on the maps already provided. A bit of imagination is all that is required.

My thoughts are the same.

:salute:  

Honestly, I think I'd have an easier time imagining a Spitfire with red stars as having roundels, that I would trying to imagine any of the maps in the sim being part of Western Europe.

Fantastic looking aircraft. And. I love the skins!  :P

Great job dudes, you deserve a pat on the back.

Yes, and Jason has given his explanation for why they are not in the game.[/quote

Roger that.

I have also the impression that the merlin engine two pistons cover where nearer the spinner (there is near to no distance between the spinner and the engine covers of this bulges) not like in this picture?!

Secondly (it is a detail but!) all desert USA Spitfire Vb of i know of where equipped with the Trop (vokes) filter only European theatre Spitfire Vb where Ocean grey and dark green or US green over medium grey (ex UK colours) where without it, this big filter under the nose of the Spitfire.

​Otherwise this is a great jog and I thanks you for this wonderful adition to the game, hip, hip, Hurra!  :salute: 

See Jason's statement above. It will come in handy in the States, I have to get back digging those hundreds of coal mines.

Funny! But never used in coal mines. Where they use gas masks. Not oxygen masks and pilots do need them only over 3k meters a funny thing in ww1 they were a tube that most of the time the pilot did keep in is mouth between his teeths!  :salute: 

I have some ideas for a few non-historical, but yet historically plausible Spit skins.

If the 4K template is released in time I might crank a few out.

I don't have enough spare time these days to make the actual 4K template, but I'm sure someone else will get it done in short order anyway.

Just depends on timing of the template and other projects.

Edited by Gambit21

I'm reserving my over-enthusiasm until I fly it and see how well it competes but I will make a go of it. Probably coming in at 4k on DF servers to get above my doppleganger flying my G2 at 3k.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

Is it my imagination or does the pilot look a bit small in the Spit screen shots?

Is it my imagination or does the pilot look a bit small in the Spit screen shots?

Compared to pictures of actual Spits it seems more or less spot on in my eyes, but I think I can see what you mean.

I think it might simply be because the Spitfire is a slightly bigger aircraft that others we have in game. In overall dimensions it is about 10% larger than the Yak-1 and LaGG-3/La-5 (which are very similar in size)

Glad to hear, that the devs are willing to look at creating a couple more Soviet skins for the Spit. :)

I understand that the source material is limited and that very few Mk. Vs actually saw service in the VVS, but having just a single historical skin that fits the theatre we are actually going to fly in seems a bit on the low side. 2 or 3 historical Soviet skins in addition to the generic ones (will there be a white winter skin?) will do fine. If the rest are RAF or USAAF that'd be understandable.

Might I make a few humble suggestions?

attachicon.gifIMG_4641.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4642.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4644.JPG

There some more drawings on Google for VVS Spitfire skins, but i don't know how acurate they are.

https://www.militaryimages.net/threads/russian-spitfires.2460/

Grt M

The Spit looks great! I see that the attachment points for the slipper tank are there so I wonder if that'll be a load-out option?

But... sorry to be knit-picking rivet counter but I have two suggestions in regards to the stencils if I may.

1) That text on the cockpit door goes on the inside, like so:
3ab3f95a93fe4e56ad95834cfda167da.jpg

2) The black line on top of the starboard wing showing the area where one can walk should go all the way to wing root (the port wing is fine). All Spits with single stage engines (including the Griffon powered Mk.XII) as well as early Mk.IXs had it so, e.g.
large_000000.jpg?action=d&cat=photograph
SupermarineSpitfireatdispersalBigginHill

HB

Edited by HBPencil
  • Upvote 1

I wonder what kind of cutscenes will we get?

Beside Zumbach Spitfire - thank you, thank you, thank you :).

P.

The Spit might liven up the FM sub-forum too, which has been quiet of late.  Counting down now.... 

Good update  :salute:

Why is everybody so fond of the Spit? Personally I think it is a very boring plane. From its looks and also the cockpit  :P  :lol:  :)  :)

- will the SP Campaign mode be dynamic like in the old Il2?

- I think once we have tac view properly implemented, it is easier to understand if the AI really sometimes does hiughe unrealistic decisions like chasing only the player or being "blind" sometimes. Hard evidence will follow!  :)  :ph34r:

Cheers

Good update  :salute:

Why is everybody so fond of the Spit? Personally I think it is a very boring plane. From its looks and also the cockpit  :P  :lol:  :)  :)

- will the SP Campaign mode be dynamic like in the old Il2?

- I think once we have tac view properly implemented, it is easier to understand if the AI really sometimes does hiughe unrealistic decisions like chasing only the player or being "blind" sometimes. Hard evidence will follow!  :)  :ph34r:

Cheers

It's just preference, i guess. And off course it's quiet a iconic plane. I'm not to fond off it either, but i understand the appeal. 

the new careermode will be comparable with what they made with ROF. Maybe a bit fancy-er.

Grt M