szelljr

Posted 29 July 2017 - 20:22

http://www.mediafire...Midway_1942.pdf

Attached Thumbnails

• Midway.jpg

#42 Alexmarine28

Alexmarine28

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:43

Just a thing: I hope we will see in the game the reference to the official japanese nomenclature (even just the english translation, no need for having kanji everywhere). It would be nice to have them instead the reference to the allied code names (unless the material is made to reproduce an allied point of view for exapmle in missions etc. etc.).

Edited by Alexmarine28, 30 July 2017 - 11:33.

#43 =LD=Hiromachi

=LD=Hiromachi
  • Tester

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:25

Updated first post with few new documents. 

PqJg4n.jpg My dream : Il-2 Battle for New Guinea  - Make it happen 1CGS ! si6AuQ.png

#44 Wingleader425

Wingleader425

Posted 03 August 2017 - 18:20

Museums typically DO NOT offer their examples for use by sim developers WITHOUT major financial offerings. Which I cannot afford. 99% of the time they just ignore my requests. If anyone can get me in the door with a camera and a tape measure that's great, but I have tried for years and gotten nowhere. Neither Planes of Fame or any other museum or collection is very welcoming to me climbing around their cockpits taking pictures for a commercial project they are not involved with and without a $1 million insurance policy. I got access to the P-40 at Yanks in Chino and the whole effort was a hassle and a disaster, so not looking to repeat that again. But again, if any of you have access or can make it happen I am willing to show up or hire you to help do the research, but I'm not going that route myself at the moment.

Jason

In refrance to this post my father recently sold a gryphon spitfire engine to the Paul Allan collection I might be able to pull some strings for pictures and info on his aircraft.

#45 Kiwi92

Kiwi92

Posted 08 August 2017 - 21:22

Basic setup of a D3A1 Vals cockpit layout and val gunner position.

Do note that a vals gunner seat was a swivel seat. which with the canopy behind closed he would swivel around and focus on the radio communications and navigations, as well as using the bombsight

i also had the chance to go inside a being restored TBM and i have photos of the interior gun crew positions as well as of inside the bombay

Attached Thumbnails

• Valint.jpg
  • 002ytk.jpg

Edited by Kiwi92, 08 August 2017 - 21:24.

#46 Kiwi92

Kiwi92

Posted 08 August 2017 - 21:29

Look at a 3D model of the typical japanese level bomb sight used both in the Val and Kate which would be visible to the player from the gunner position of the Val and if moddled, the navigators position of the Kate 

Attached Thumbnails

• type90bombsight-01.jpg
  • type90bombsight-00.jpg

Edited by Kiwi92, 08 August 2017 - 21:38.

#47 Kiwi92

Kiwi92

Posted 08 August 2017 - 21:36

i hope this helps! 

Full structural detail of a B5N2 Kate with everything described in english

Attached Files

#48 flyus747

flyus747

Posted 18 August 2017 - 00:01

Hello,

I was combing through the internet trying to find some info regarding the G4M interior and stumbled upon a few books I think may help the team get a picture of what these machines looked like inside and out.  More importantly, how their equipment functioned and how they differed from their Allied counterparts.  On top of getting the exterior models accurate, getting the interior is something I imagine will be even more difficult.  Particularly, learning about the procedures or gauges that occupied the Japanese pilot's mind whilst in flight.  I think these books (particularly the one on equipments) will be real fascinating stuff.

These books were both written by a Robert C. Mikesh.  Veteran USAF pilot who flew in Korea and Vietnam then worked at the Smithsonian for a few decades.  Most of his work covers Japanese military aviation.

Here is a list of books he's written on Amazon.

*The scribd links provide "samples" of the books, but you can literally scroll through the entire book whilst some "free trial" registration covers the page but you'll still be able to read the pages and pictures.

1. Japanese Aircraft Equipment: 1940-1945 (Schiffer Military History) (2014)

https://www.scribd.c...pment-1940-1945

Description:

As a companion book to the previously published Japanese Aircraft Interiors, by the same author, this book defines more closely the equipment that outfitted these aircraft. There are chapters on such aircraft installed equipment as instruments, radios, cameras, machine guns and cannons, gunsights and bombsights used by the Japanese Army and Navy air forces. The opening chapter describes the history as to how much of this equipment was captured and now is in the hands of collectors and museums. The closing chapter has additional information on colors and coatings used in these interiors. This information will aid collectors to more definitively identify equipment that may not otherwise be clearly marked. Experts in these respective fields have been major contributors.

Review:

"Japanese Aircraft Equipment 1940-1945" by Robert C. Mikesh offers a unique glimpse into the cockpit interiors and equipment used by the Imperial Japanese Army and Navy Air Forces during the Second World War. It is packed with photographs, drawings, and descriptions of this equipment which should be useful to modelers as well as aviation buffs. This includes instrumentation, radio equipment, radars, aerial cameras, machine guns, gunsights, and bombsights. The only kind of information missing is on engines, which arguably could be covered by a book of this type. In short, this book is a "must have" for aviation enthusiasts."

2. Japanese Aircraft Interiors 1940-1945 (2001)

https://www.scribd.c...riors-1940-1945

Description:

This book is about the interiors of Japanese Army and Navy aircraft flown during the Second World War. It is a detailed survey covering crew stations, instrumentation and other equipment commonly associated within the interior of military aircraft. For quick reference, each aircraft discussed is shown by at least one external overall photograph. Interior colors are also shown and discussed. This is the only English language book of its type in-print today. Fighters, night fighters, jet and rocket special attack aircraft, bombers, reconnaissance aircraft and seaplanes of the Imperial Army and Navy are fully covered.

Review:

Couldn't find any reviews for this one.

I'm not trying to sell this author but I think judging by his work and reputation, it would be a shame to not at least consider his stuff.  Below are the covers, I could not find any pics from within these books sorry.

Attached Thumbnails

• book_japanese-interiors.jpg
  • book2.jpg

#49 =LD=Hiromachi

=LD=Hiromachi
  • Tester

Posted 27 August 2017 - 14:38

Plenty of details in good quality: http://a6m232.server...m/newpage8.html

Most related to PoF A6M5 but a lot of internal plating and gauges work for A6M2 as well. 

PqJg4n.jpg My dream : Il-2 Battle for New Guinea  - Make it happen 1CGS ! si6AuQ.png

#50 katdog5

katdog5

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:30

check out this site for some historic skins of the midway era. axis. this guy did some great research. I researched on there for some campaigns that i made. great stuff if i recall:

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2.html

1080GTX / Oculus CV1 VR / i6700 4.0Ghz / 16GB DDR4 / CH Products / 1.7SS + SteamVR Beta / 2xAA / ASW Off / Sharpen Off / Advanced Super Sampling Disabled

#51 Uufflakke

Uufflakke

Posted 02 September 2017 - 15:07

1. Japanese Aircraft Equipment: 1940-1945 (Schiffer Military History) (2014)

https://www.scribd.c...pment-1940-1945

2. Japanese Aircraft Interiors 1940-1945 (2001)

https://www.scribd.c...riors-1940-1945

The first cover looks familiar to me. I have the digital full version of the book on my external hard disk. :)

I also found another book about Japanese aircraft interiors on the disk.

Both books in one download:

http://www.mediafire...se_Aircrafts.7z

Edited by Uufflakke, 02 September 2017 - 15:10.

Der Nußknacker - Er knackt ganz einfach  Jede Nuß  Und die nicht will  Muss

#52 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 02 September 2017 - 17:14

check out this site for some historic skins of the midway era. axis. this guy did some great research. I researched on there for some campaigns that i made. great stuff if i recall:

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2.html

That webiste rips off other sites of their material and gives no credit for what was taken. 

#53 katdog5

katdog5

Posted 04 September 2017 - 23:59

That webiste rips off other sites of their material and gives no credit for what was taken. 

Hmm. Also looks like most of the stuff I used is gone. i.e. all the Akagi, Kaga, Soryu and Hiryu skins. perhaps a swing and a miss.  

1080GTX / Oculus CV1 VR / i6700 4.0Ghz / 16GB DDR4 / CH Products / 1.7SS + SteamVR Beta / 2xAA / ASW Off / Sharpen Off / Advanced Super Sampling Disabled

#54 katdog5

katdog5

Posted 07 September 2017 - 15:22

Hmm. Also looks like most of the stuff I used is gone. i.e. all the Akagi, Kaga, Soryu and Hiryu skins. perhaps a swing and a miss.  

Ok I found what i was looking for, may save some effort for research re skins on the carrier group at midway.  the skins referenced were done by the great skinner RONNCO, and yes prob not credited at that site

a4rifo.jpg

Another link here: 

http://www.mission4t...details&id=3935

#55 Pierre64

Pierre64
  • Founder

Posted 11 September 2017 - 20:10

An interesting source of references, photographs and profiles of IJNAF aircraft on every stages of Pacific War :

http://japanese-avia...-color-profiles

Midway :
http://japanese-avia...tle-june-4-1942

Edited by Pierre64, 11 September 2017 - 20:12.

#56 FrozenLiquidity

FrozenLiquidity

Posted 14 September 2017 - 17:06

Jason, there's an actual flying example of Zeke here locally...Paul Allen's collection in Everette.

I'm not sure if I can get permission to get up inside and take photos, but if there's a need I'll look into the prospect...can't hurt to ask.

They might be able to provide other information as well...I'm not sure how accessible these people are at this point - but in any case I'm close.

Who knows you might contact them and set up an appointment as well at some point.

Anyway, let me know if you want me to do some investigating.

Museums typically DO NOT offer their examples for use by sim developers WITHOUT major financial offerings. Which I cannot afford. 99% of the time they just ignore my requests. If anyone can get me in the door with a camera and a tape measure that's great, but I have tried for years and gotten nowhere. Neither Planes of Fame or any other museum or collection is very welcoming to me climbing around their cockpits taking pictures for a commercial project they are not involved with and without a $1 million insurance policy. I got access to the P-40 at Yanks in Chino and the whole effort was a hassle and a disaster, so not looking to repeat that again. But again, if any of you have access or can make it happen I am willing to show up or hire you to help do the research, but I'm not going that route myself at the moment.

Jason

I've done some volunteering up there with that collection, and they don't let the volunteers near the aircraft either - for understandable reasons.  I am surprised that this has been your experience with museums.  While I can understand that they don't have any compelling reason to do something like this, I would think that the enthusiasts among the staff would see the attraction of such an offering, in that it allows others that will never take a seat in the cockpit of one of these birds to experience something as authentic and close to life-like as possible.

That said, I have no idea what their response to a query like this would be.  I would think the best bet would be to schmooze one of the pilots or mechanics to take some pictures and get some measurements from inside the craft for you.  Yeah, I know, easier said than done - and I have no idea what kind of agreements the FTE's of this museum have to sign to work there, so their hands might be tied in that regard.  While substantial financial offerings are indeed a bit of a deal breaker in this regard, if it's within your power, you might be able to provide an offer of IL-2 game licenses for the Museum's simulator bank in exchange for something like this.  They're still using 1946, and while the IL2:BoS, BoM, and BoK offerings don't align as well with their collection of aircraft, it may still provide enough of a mutually beneficial arrangement for them to bite, especially considering that IL2's lineup is constantly expanding.

I am sure there are ways to get this accomplished, however climbing around in the cockpits of these birds yourself is almost certainly out of the question.  From your experience, it sounds like it's almost always more trouble than it's worth, which is a bit disheartening.

Anyway, I'm probably done volunteering for the season up there, but I'd be willing to try and help however possible.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users