[CPT]milopugdog

Non-Official BoX Discord Server Is Now Up!

Updated: 03112019

Greetings, pilots! This is the official thread for my Discord server. In which, you can join here

About:

This Discord is ran by myself, and my moderator WoodWardWilson. It was created with the purpose of being a general Discord server for the IL-2 community to talk, play, and share with one another.

Rules:

1. Be respectful to other members and staff. We're all here to play IL-2: GB.

- There will be no tolerance of racism, religious, or political discussion. This server is simply not the place of it.

The breaking of this rule will result in the following:

Any consequences associated with rule breaker will be determined by the Admin/Moderator case by case.

Features:

I'll put the details in spoilers so this doesn't get too long :)

Rank Structure:

My server uses ranks based on IL-2 titles available for order, founders and testers, our in house squad, and various other tags for fun or book keeping.

Assignable roles are as follows:

Member (Member)

Founder (Founder)

Wingman (Wingman) 

Non-official Guard Fighters (NoGF)

IL-2: 1946 (1946)

Cliffs of Dover (CloD)

Battle of Stalingrad (BoS)

Battle of Moscow (BoM) Battle of Kuban (BoK)

Battle of Bodenplatte (BoBP)

Flying Circus 1 (FC1)

Tank Crew: Clash At Prokhorovka (TC)

How these roles can be assigned/removed, and what they mean can be found in the in-processing/rules channel on the server

Community Support:

Other Discords:
Links for other important Discords like TAW, WoL, Sheriff's, Coconut's, and The Unprofessionals can all be found in the Community Links Channel.

Squadrons:

There is a recruiting section that members can type in if they wish to search for/ advertise their squad.

News:

By installing the Discord.RSS bot, any announcement that is posted to the IL-2 website is posted by the bot to the server.

Articles that are received are from the following:

1. ShamrockOneFive's Stormbirds blog

2. IL-2 Updates section

3. DCS Updates section

4. Alert 5 Podcast

(I promise it's not too spammy)

Giveaways:

By using a giveaway bot, I will sometimes have giveaways.

The rules and keys up for grabs will be posted in a locked channel, and there will be a discussion channel.

I don't always have the money for it, but like to when when I do.

Key donations are also accepted.

Text Channels:

Resources:

In-processing/Rules: Anything you need to know about the server is in this channel. If you still have questions, let staff know.
In-processing/rules:

The law of the land are laid here. Make sure to read them.
Community Links:
Join links to other Discords and the like.
Announcements:
Announcements for the server are put here.
News:
.Rss news articles are posted here.

Forum:

General:
Usually filled with chit-chat about flight sims, history, or simple banter.
Off Topic:
Used for sharing memes
Content Sharing:
Content created by server members go here!
(Enter game version) Bugs:
Make a bug report for the current version, and it will be passed up the grapevine.
Mission Editor:
Anything relating to the IL-2 FME goes in here.
Events/Wingmen:

People looking to fly, or events like giveaways can be talked about here.

Help:

For asking people about help with the game.

Radio Channels:

Common Frequency:
General purpose channel.
Axis 1 and 2, and Allies 1 and 2:
For if you want to stick to another side's channel.
Co-op 1 and 2:
For both teams of a co-op.

DCS:

For if pilots are flying in DCS.
AFK:
You'll be moved here after 15 mins of mic inactivity.

With all of that said, Thank you for taking the time to read!

I'm extremely pleased with the amount of backing that the community has given to the server, and I only hope it'll continue.

Feel free to ask any questions down below. :bye:

Edited by [CPT]milopugdog
Made Info Current
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 9

I hope it gets some users because there are not many english speakers on Team Speak, at least the public servers.  That said, there is the risk that the more options people are given, the more dilute the user base becomes which is harmful for all the platforms.

Edited by gnomechompsky

I hope it gets some users because there are not many english speakers on Team Speak, at least the public servers. That said, there is the risk that the more options people are given, the more dilute the user base becomes which is harmful for all the platforms.

I've realized that is also a possibly.

However, I also know that some people the forums were tanking about how a sort of 'lounge' was needed a while back. I feel like Discord really has that kind of feel down.

It's got 12 people as of now, so I'll just see how it goes. The more people that join, the more stuff I'll feel comfortable doing to it. :)

Shame that i really hate speaking english, otherwise i'd love to join since i dont have many friends who play flight sims.

Thanks for setting up the server milopugdog. Looks pretty good so far. My favorite part is that it's got an in-game user name overlay that actually works and doesn't crash the game. I don't know how many times I've alternated between TS Overlay and TS Notifier when one or the other stopped working. 

You may need more than a week to let "word-of-mouth" get around and build up any momentum as people try it out. I think that there would need to be a pretty strong interest to avoid splitting the community though.

Thanks for setting up the server milopugdog. Looks pretty good so far. My favorite part is that it's got an in-game user name overlay that actually works and doesn't crash the game. I don't know how many times I've alternated between TS Overlay and TS Notifier when one or the other stopped working. 

You may need more than a week to let "word-of-mouth" get around and build up any momentum as people try it out. I think that there would need to be a pretty strong interest to avoid splitting the community though.

Thanks for joining! I'm aware of the dangers of splitting the already small community. I've just been curious how users here feel about a more 'social' communication platform. :salute:

• Upvote 1

I'll check it out.

I love Discord. Imo, no reason to use anything else.

It works as voice, text, and even a nice mini forum for quick sharing off all kinds of stuff.

I'm not too worried about splitting of the community as the worst culprit of it is having individual squads who all have their own TS servers anyway.

Plus I make it a point to check every comm outlet I can get my hands on when I log on to find people to play with. It's time consuming, but worth it. Every so often I get to fly and chat with someone new and it's a lot of fun!

Thanks for showing interest!

So far there are 28 people who've joined.

I've got tags for those who are in squadrons, and also tags stating what editions a user owns so there is less confusion over what they can and can't fly.

Next on the list is more members (obviously :P) and also some custom emojis for the server.

Again, the join link is https://discord.gg/saeEMmQ

That link is set to never expire, so you can give it to whomever you want and it should be good!

I've joined, I really hope more people join so I can have some English-speaking players to fly Allies with :)

Hosting a discord server is totally free as well.  I'll prob click the link at some point.  I need to start flying with people.  My biggest issue is being awake when normal people are awake. 

When discord introduces whisper functionally I'll migrate until then TS. Nice move though

Cheers

• Upvote 2

This is great. Good Job. Now, anyone else having trouble getting the overlay to appear in game?

did you enable a hot key for it?................  1./JG54 uses it for our get together s........... what's nice is my squad icon and the IL2 Icon all show on the server list, and I can switch with a mouse click.  Thanks for getting this one started.  Hopefully it takes off................. I'm on flying Axis on Cali Time...............

Cheers

Hoss

I've enabled the in-game overlay toggle as well as enabling the game in the Games section under App settings. Pressing the hot key in game does nothing in IL-2. It works in other games.... just not in IL-2. I've tried various resets, booting in Admin mode for the game and for Discord. I've followed the recommended procedure of launching Discord while the game is currently running. I've had no luck. I'm not sure what else to try and was wondering if anyone else had encountered this issues and resolved it...

Discord is the way of the future, it has.....chat, voice comms, file transfer, mobile apps in both app stores, the ability to call another player, and its FREE. No server hosting required. It has allowed me to find wingmen to fly with 100 fold over TS which seems dead in this community.My biggest concern is were soo fractured with dif servers on discord. I encourage squads and lonewolfs to register and use comms when flyin. Chat in game sucks, be a teamplayer, use comms.

Edited by Banzaii

Indeed! It seems far superior to my TeamSpeak experience in just a few minutes time. Definitely a more modern take on comms/community chat. Maybe we'll see a big uptake here and that will help benefit the multiplayer community for this series.

The only downside I've seen in the 3 weeks I've used Discord have been the voice quality can drop significantly with a poor internet connection.  Luckily when connected to voice there is a connected indicator with a signal strength indicator that gives you an idea if it will be a problem.

So, you guys that have no problems running the overlay. Are you running IL-2 in Fullscreen or Windowed mode?  Tried multiple reinstalls of both discord and IL-2. No luck. It works in my other games but not IL-2. Very frustrating...

Edited by =CAF=xThrottle_Geek

So, you guys that have no problems running the overlay. Are you running IL-2 in Fullscreen or Windowed mode?  Tried multiple reinstalls of both discord and IL-2. No luck. It works in my other games but not IL-2. Very frustrating...

I didn't bother with the overlay. It worked fine for me in full screen, but it's presence just annoyed me.

Instead I opted to have TTS for when people who don't have mics type in chat.

So, another update. Its still not working. However, I've noticed that it ONLY works for my 32-bit apps. It does NOT work for any 64-bit apps, such as this game. Anyone have any thoughts about how the 64-bit apps are conflicting with the discord overlay? Thanks for any help if you think of something...

So, another update. Its still not working. However, I've noticed that it ONLY works for my 32-bit apps. It does NOT work for any 64-bit apps, such as this game. Anyone have any thoughts about how the 64-bit apps are conflicting with the discord overlay? Thanks for any help if you think of something...

I assuming you went to Options > Games and enabled the overlay?

I assuming you went to Options > Games and enabled the overlay?

Heh. Yep. Many many times. I too adhere to the KISS principle. Unfortunately, its something more complicated.

Gotta ask the basics first anyways :)

Not going in there, adding IL-2 to the list and enabling the overlay, was why it didn't work for me initially.

Not sure... I don't know enough about it to properly troubleshoot.

Greeting, pilots!

Pardon my necrothread, but in celebration of the server passing 300 members, and the news by Jason I'm holding a giveaway on my Discord.

Prizes up for grabs are as follows:

1x Battle of Moscow Standard Edition

1x Fw-190 A-3

1x La-5 Ser. 8

1x Mc.202 Ser. VIII

1x Yak-1b

1x Ju-52/3m

1x Bf-109 G-6

1x La-5FN Ser. 2

To enter, you just need to follow either this link: https://discord.gg/saeEMmQ or the one in my description. Rules are posted in the #give_aways chat channel.

Good luck to all!

Mods: I'm aware this thread is probably not where it's supposed to be. Feel free to move it.

• Upvote 1

I've enabled the in-game overlay toggle as well as enabling the game in the Games section under App settings. Pressing the hot key in game does nothing in IL-2. It works in other games.... just not in IL-2. I've tried various resets, booting in Admin mode for the game and for Discord. I've followed the recommended procedure of launching Discord while the game is currently running. I've had no luck. I'm not sure what else to try and was wondering if anyone else had encountered this issues and resolved it...

The good news...Yes I and a few squadmates had that issue and resolved it.

The bad news.....We don't know how we fixed it.  It just started working.

All I can say is that you have to enable the overlay generally and also enable it specifically for IL-2.   After doing that I stopped it and restarted it a few times and suddenly it worked and has continued to work.  I can only assume that it needs things done in a certain order initially.  I may also have tried going into missions or online maps to see if it helped though I have no idea if it did make a difference.

How do tags work? Eg how do I set it so people know I have BoM & BoK?

There is a bot that you can use to set them, or I can.

There is a bot that you can use to set them, or I can.

Yes I just found that out but also found out that the bot does not work :rolleyes: .   I have BoM & BoK 

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Yes I just found that out but also found out that the bot does not work :rolleyes: .   I have BoM & BoK 

I set it. The bot is also responsible of giving people a member tag when they join, so it's gone down a few times today. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

Lemme back, ill promise not to laugh at horrible misuse of axis war assets. 

Siddy, ever since you joined you've done nothing but spam with your toxic anti-Axis trash, and attack people who decide to play their aircraft. You do not contribute to any meaningful conversations on the matter, and you wish to detract from those who do. I've had enough.

My answer is no.

Good day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I dont agree that i did that, just because i laughed at this particular video dont make me toxic or anti axis. 

As far as contributions go, contribution to what? I have plenty of contributions done, helped few pilots to learn fly reds that asked fer help and all that jazz, i dont see anyone else contributing more or less. If i sometime laugh at some silly things people pull off or egg on axis player to perform in TAW, that not toxic, that just having competitive spirit.

I know it is Monday and people might have hard days, but i want you to stew on this: have i REALLY only done what you have said, or perhaps you are just biased now? 

Edited by Cpt_Siddy

7 minutes ago, Cpt_Siddy said:

I dont agree that i did that, just because i laughed at this particular video dont make me toxic or anti axis. 

As far as contributions go, contribution to what? I have plenty of contributions done, helped few pilots to learn fly reds that asked fer help and all that jazz, i dont see anyone else contributing more or less. If i sometime laugh at some silly things people pull off or egg on axis player to perform in TAW, that not toxic, that just having competitive spirit.

I refuse to budge on this. We can talk about your chat history in a PM if you'd like.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, [CPT]milopugdog said:

I refuse to budge on this. We can talk about your chat history in a PM if you'd like.

Please do. I want to see what you mean by all that "toxic" anti axis stuff.