BlackHellHound1

4K Bf 109 F-4 Template Download and 4K Skins

Updated on 12-03-2018

Hello there fellow skinners, 

My 4K Bf 109 F-4 template is ready for use.

You can read my entire list of changes in my museum.

The template can be found in the offical skin template section!!!

You can find the Bf 109 F-2 template in its own topic.

The normal map is included in each template and skin file.

I am looking forward to seeing your awesome skins with this template!

If you have made any Bf 109F-4 skins with this template. Feel free to share them in this topic. 

Currently, I am working on the Normal Map for the F-2. I will share it once it is done.

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

eqO8TaU.jpg

hXrV3Jn.jpg

Edited by BlackHellHound1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 20

BHH thanks so much!

I'm curious how the 4K skins impact game performance. When using the 4K skins in large numbers is there any noticeable decrease in performance?

Edited by 5./JG26_Dots

Thank, guys! I really appreciate your comments :)

I'm curious how the 4K skins impact game performance. When using the 4K skins in large numbers is there any noticeable decrease in performance?

Undoubtedly, there is a change in performance but it will take some time to learn what effects it has on someone's system.

BlackHellHound1

4K template and skins update! 

Hello there fellow pilots and skinners.

As was pointed out by Pierre64, 2 of the decals on my Bf 109F's were accidently switched around. I have fixed them so they are now in the correct position.

You can download the updated template via this new link. I have also updated the link in the original post.

(Old link. Get new download from the first post)

You can download the updated Bf 109F skins in my museum or in the Bf-109F-2 and F-4 4K Template topic.

BlackHellHound1

Hello there fellow pilots,

After about a month of work, I finished my Normal Map for my 4K Bf 109F-4 Template and skins.

I have completely rebuild the normal map. Here is a list of everything I have rebuild from the ground up:

• Completely new panel line effects 
  • Various different types of overlapping panel effects
  • Bend metal plate effects
  • Slightly misaligned panels
  • Access hatches effects
  • Metal warping caused by heat, twisting and compression (heavier around the engine, wing roots, gear covers and more)
  • Rivet effects (different intensities in certain areas)
  • Large rivet effects
  • Small screw effects
  • Large screw effects
  • Fabric effects on ailerons, elevator and rudder
  • Frame effects under the fabric on the ailerons, elevator and rudder.
  • Radiators
  • Wheel hubs and wheels
  • Several other small effects

These effects are combined to recreate all the different effects that make up the construction of the Bf 109F-4.

Many of these effects are completely new and not present in the original normal map. 

Warning: This 4K Normal Map differs greatly from the original normal map and skins. This means that this normal map will only work with skins which are made with my 4K Bf 109F-4 Template! 

Therefore, I advise you only use skins made with my 4K Bf 109F-4 Template when you install this normal map.

The Normal Map is included in each template and skin file.

I will add a link to this normal map download to all my 4K skins from now on. 

Special message to skinners: With these new effects it is no longer needed to have the fabric effects on the skin itself. (It looks quite ugly, in my opinion) I, therefore, advise all skinners that have my 4k Bf109F-4 Template to remove the folder called "Fabric Effects" which can be found in "4K Advanced Detail\4K Structural effects". I have already removed it in the template download.

You can find more images showing the effects of the normal map here. (I have also included some images with the old normal map)

R3qjX0s.jpg

• Upvote 5

I have shared my latest 4K skin today. 

It is a complete remake of the Max-Hellmuth Ostermann skin I made some time ago. 

The skin is historically accurate and completely based off pictures taken in WW2. 

All emblems and markings are custom-made by hand to resemble the real emblems as much as possible. (I do not use pre-existing drawings of emblems for this)

You can find the skin in my Skin Museum

BlackHellHound1

P.S. To all skinners: If you use my template to make your own 4K skins, feel free to share them here. That way we can keep the skins together instead of in a dozen different topics. 

RtnAA4Z.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have just released my new Skin Museum. You will be able to find all future additions in the new museum.

To celebrate the move, 4 new 4K skins have been added. 

They are a remake of my 9./JG3 skin pack I made earlier. Here is a little preview of these new planes.

BlackHellHound1

hllRr0l.jpg

• Upvote 4

To celebrate the move, 4 new 4K skins have been added. 

They are a remake of my 9./JG3 skin pack I made earlier. Here is a little preview of these new planes.

BlackHellHound1

These skins are fantastic! We've been flying our 109's exclusively with them since you published them. Could I ask if it is at all possible to get another 4 numbers, this would make our flights so much more enjoyable if we could kit out the rest of our wing with unique numbers :)

Regards,

Highway

Edited by Highwayman

These skins are fantastic! We've been flying our 109's exclusively with them since you published them. Could I ask if it is at all possible to get another 4 numbers, this would make our flights so much more enjoyable if we could kit out the rest of our wing with unique numbers :)

Regards,

Highway

Thank you very much. It makes me happy to hear that you and your friends like them and use them a lot!

I would like to make more numbers but in order to do that, I would have to break my own rules regarding which skins I make. 

My skins are purely based on WW2 Images and information. Which often makes it very hard to find good skins to make.

I got lucky with this one. The 4 planes from 9./JG3 were quite well documented and had several pictures taken of them. That is very unique.

Making more would mean they are not historically accurate and that does not match my style and rules.

And to be honest... I put to far much time into making skins accurate to the tiniest detail to suddenly change course and make something unhistorical.

I know this is not the answer you would like to hear. However, I hope you guys continue to enjoy the skins either way. 

BlackHellHound1

I respect your decision, so don't feel bad about it at all. I'll attempt to add a couple of numbers myself by manipulating the existing skins. It won't be anywhere close to your standards, but it will do for our purposes :)

If I am able to find images and information around the other aircraft, I'll be sure to pass it on.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and keep up the good work with the 4k skins!

Edited by Highwayman

Thanks for the templates, BHH.  I made some skins for my unit with your template and they turned out great!  (screenshots attached)

A couple of things to note:

-There are some covers on the wings near the root/base on the top that the details do not line up with the normal maps.  This is something that most people probably won't notice and I didn't even bother correcting it.

-There are some missing texture details on the vertical and horizontal stabilizers that I added back in myself. 

Overall, I love how clean and well-done these are, and the subtle edge padding around the objects really helps out with determining boundaries without having to switch on the UVW map layers.  Take all of this as a compliment; I'm a professional FS developer myself, and I can appreciate good work!

23FADJV.jpg

k40LU8L.jpg

CeRkDMZ.jpg

f3pXGJL.jpg

*My skins are NOT historically accurate, obviously.  I run a unit based on fun with tactics, and we don't really care about uber-accuracy.  My skins are completely fictitious and based on an amalgamation of different paint schemes from different variants of the 109 throughout the war, and I also omit swastikas entirely.

Edited by FFS_WookieeCat
  • Upvote 1

On 10/05/2017 at 6:32 PM, FFS_WookieeCat said:

Thanks for the templates, BHH.  I made some skins for my unit with your template and they turned out great!  (screenshots attached)

A couple of things to note:

-There are some covers on the wings near the root/base on the top that the details do not line up with the normal maps.  This is something that most people probably won't notice and I didn't even bother correcting it.

-There are some missing texture details on the vertical and horizontal stabilizers that I added back in myself. 

Overall, I love how clean and well-done these are, and the subtle edge padding around the objects really helps out with determining boundaries without having to switch on the UVW map layers.  Take all of this as a compliment; I'm a professional FS developer myself, and I can appreciate good work!

"snip"

*My skins are NOT historically accurate, obviously.  I run a unit based on fun with tactics, and we don't really care about uber-accuracy.  My skins are completely fictitious and based on an amalgamation of different paint schemes from different variants of the 109 throughout the war, and I also omit swastikas entirely.

Thanks a lot. Skins look really good. 

The notes you make are true but are not mistakes. (look closely and you will find much more misaligning parts) The notes you make indicate to me that you are missing the correct normal map. I suggest downloading the normal map.

As for the missing features on the tail... they are not missing. They are also part of the normal map. They were purposely left out of the Template file as it does not look realistic. 

Edited!

You can read more about this in my museum in the special projects section

BlackHellHound1

• Upvote 1

BHH, any chance you might take on a 4K template for the G-4 considering that Boomerang has halted work on his?

BHH, any chance you might take on a 4K template for the G-4 considering that Boomerang has halted work on his?

I had originally planned on making the G-2 and G-4 as well. After the 190A-5. However, RL has slowed progress. University and other RL stuff are taking up a lot of time. I can't even say how long it will take to finish the 190... 

So... to answer your question: Not anytime soon :(

Hopefully, I get some more time during the holidays.

BlackHellHound1

I had originally planned on making the G-2 and G-4 as well. After the 190A-5. However, RL has slowed progress. University and other RL stuff are taking up a lot of time. I can't even say how long it will take to finish the 190... 

So... to answer your question: Not anytime soon :(

Hopefully, I get some more time during the holidays.

BlackHellHound1

Understood mate. You did a great job on the F-4, so I was hoping you'd take a stab at the G-4. No worries.

Edited by detcord12b

Really great work, complements the model very well

I noticed that the "early" skin in your 4K Bf 109F-4 Default skins looks, to my eye at least, to be identical to the "late" skin. Was it meant to have simple blue fuselage like the "early" F2?, which I have to say I really like

Really great work, complements the model very well

I noticed that the "early" skin in your 4K Bf 109F-4 Default skins looks, to my eye at least, to be identical to the "late" skin. Was it meant to have simple blue fuselage like the "early" F2?, which I have to say I really like

I understand why you think that but no they are correct.

The F-4 early and late have a small structural difference. It has to do with the horizontal stabilizers. As you probably know, the E series had supports for the horizontal stabilizers. These were removed from the F series. Of course, the new model needed another way of supporting the horizontal stabilizers. Initially, this was done via a stronger internal structure but this turned out to be not enough. External reinforcement plates were added just below the horizontal stabilizes. Hence the early model. On the later versions, these supports were removed and replaced with a stronger internal structure. Hence the late model. 

This change was so small that the plane never received a new designation or addition to the existing designation.

Have a look just below the horizontal stabilizer and you will see the difference.

BlackHellHound1

BlackHellHound 1 Greetings

Do you have a 4K Bf 109 F-4 template with a lot of dirt and chipped paint?

BlackHellHound 1 Greetings
Do you have a 4K Bf 109 F-4 template with a lot of dirt and chipped paint?

I do not have another template with more dirt and paint wear. Of course, you can always add more wear to the template yourself. 

BlackHellHound1

I do not have another template with more dirt and paint wear. Of course, you can always add more wear to the template yourself. 

BlackHellHound1

Very sorry
And who else but you did 4K template for bf109F4?
Edited by Kraftowod

Personally I think that template is at the top, it can be difficult to do better. :)

I plan to make skins in 4k for model F2 and F4.
Thanks again for the Template.

• Upvote 1

Did you use the Mormalmap in 4k?

Yes, it was without her. Everything became normal with her.   :)  )

Why is the spiral on the screw so displayed in the game?  Is it a bug of the game itself or should it be?

Although in Weaver everything is correct

Why is the spiral on the screw so displayed in the game?  Is it a bug of the game itself or should it be?

Although in Weaver everything is correct

The effect is correct in both. How the spinner looks is dependent on the propeller RPM. In the Viewer, it shows a very low RPM so you can still see the pattern. In game, however, you are flying at high power and thus high RPM. 

Have a look at ground level. The engine on but give no power, you will see the effect is much closer to that in the viewer.

You can see the same effect in the rims of cars on the highway.

BlackHellHound1

The effect is correct in both. How the spinner looks is dependent on the propeller RPM. In the Viewer, it shows a very low RPM so you can still see the pattern. In game, however, you are flying at high power and thus high RPM. 

Have a look at ground level. The engine on but give no power, you will see the effect is much closer to that in the viewer.

You can see the same effect in the rims of cars on the highway.

BlackHellHound1

In this video of a real aircraft, the spiral is visible on all modes of the engine

And compare again how it looks in the game

So where is it right?

In this video of a real aircraft, the spiral is visible on all modes of the engine

And compare again how it looks in the game

So where is it right?

I would like to point out that this thread is not the right place for this discussion! This thread is to share the 4K F-4 Template and 4K F-4 skins.

If you would like to continue this discussion, plz post it in the Technical Issues and Bug Reports.

BlackHellHound1