BlackHellHound1

BlackHellHound1's Skin Museum 2.0

25MeDJF.jpg

Hello there fellow pilots,

I am BlackHellHound. Welcome to my new museum. 

I will give you a mall introduction into the making of the skins and afterwards I will take you for a tour around the museum.

Several years ago I started making skins for WT. Doing this I learned a lot about Photoshop and Skins used in WWII. I wanted to keep making these historically accurate skins and since I don't play WT anymore, I decided to start making skins for IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad / Moscow / Kuban. I always focus on making accurate and detailed skins from specific aircraft that flew in the Second World War

Interested in why I make my skins the way I do? Have look behind this curtain:

I don't just make skins because I like it! I make the skins to honour the pilots of WW2 (and no, I do not care what side they were on!). I also make the skins so that the pilots of WW2 will not be forgotten. 

Therefore I have decided to only make specific skins used in WW2. (Unless there is an exceptionally good reason to make a fictional skin)

The skins I make are as accurate as possible. I pay attention to the correct colours, shapes and decals. With all little details, the original skin has (even the smallest and almost unimportant details are added). When making the skin I usually spend about a quarter of my time doing research, a quarter of my time making the skin and half of my time making corrections based on my research.

Some important things that you should know about my skins can be found behind the second curtain:

·         All the skins are made by BlackHellHound1. If other people's work is used, it will be mentioned in the post.

·         All my skins are as Historically accurate as possible and based off as many WW2 pictures as possible. 

·         I do requests if the following points are met:

1.   The plane was used in WWII(it does not matter if the pilot is known as long as there is evidence the plane was used in WW2 and it follows the other rules)

2.   The skin must be on the same plane or the planes must not have a visual difference. (Not a Bf 109 G-6 skin for the Bf 109 G-2 BUT Bf 109 F-2 skin for the Bf 109 F-4 is fine) (Trop versions are also fine)

3.   There is enough source material to work from. (preferably WWII Pictures.)

4.   If the project is a challenge for me. 

·         All the work is handmade and unique

·         I keep my work up to date so you will always have the latest and best version of the skin. 

·         All Skins come in 2 variants. 1 with Hakenkreuz and 1 without. If I update something I will update both versions at the same time. (the pictures are always without Hakenkreuz)

As in every museum, there are a few rules:

1.   Touching the skins is strictly forbidden (and impossible)

2.   Leaving trash around the place is not allowed

3.   You are free to ask questions during the tour or afterwards

That is enough introduction for today. Let's have a look at the planes in the museum!

Since many of these planes are quite delicate. You might have to lift the curtain to see the planes behind them.

All Luftwaffe planes are provided both With Hakenkreuz and Without Hakenkreuz! You can choose which version you like to see!

Shortcut Routes

I understand that you might not want to see the entire museum. I have provided shortcuts to each part of the museum including a small description of what you can find there.

• Room 1. The first part of the tour can be found right here! You will find the 2K Bf 109 E-7 and 4K Bf 109 F-2's in the first part of this museum.
  • Room 2. Taking this route will bring you to the second part of the museum. You will find 2K Bf 109 F-2's in this section of the museum.
  • Room 3. The third part of this museum is dedicated to the 4K Bf 109 F-4's
  • Room 4. In the fourth section of the museum, you will find the 2K Bf 109 F-4's.
  • Room 5. You will find the 2K Bf 109 G-2 and 2K Fw 190 A-3 in the fifth room of this museum.
  • Room 6. The sixth room contains the Soviet planes. You will find the 4K P-51D-15NA2K Yak-1 Series 96, and 2K IL-2AM-38 (Model 1942)
  • Room 7. Lastly, you can find the Special Projects by taking this path. Here you can find special projects that are skinning related.

Complete Skin Pack!

All the planes you will see in this museum can be downloaded individually or in this complete skin pack which includes all skins you will see on the tour.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/m6remr61e0385fy/Complete+skin+pack.zip

Let's start with the

German Fighter planes!

We start with the oldest of the collection. The famous Bf 109 E. The E-7 to be precise!

Made with a customised version of the template provided by 777 studios and 1C game studios

2K Bf 109E-7 "Black 10" Flown by Ace Hubert Mutherich, May 1941

Hubert Mutherich is an ace from 5./JG54 and II./JG77. He is credited with 43 Aerial victories. Of which 6 over the western front.

The markings on the plane are a bit strange. The plane bears markings from 8./JG54 the comical bird, the II./JG54 Aspen Lion and the JG77 Wolfs Head.

This creates some confusion since Hubert Mutherich was not part of 8./JG54. On top of that: the Wolfs Head appears to be brown unlike the black Wolfs Head on other JG77 planes.

Mutherich was killed in action on the 9th of September, 1941, when he made a forced landing after combat with Soviet fighters.

You are encouraged to take the skin home with you so you can enjoy it for the rest of time and share it with your friends.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8zcfgp5hhwr8bb8/Bf+109E-7+Hubert+Mutherich.zip

m46BrPn.jpg

Second in the collection are the 4K Bf 109F-2's.

These came to be after a long project to create 4K Templates and normal maps for both the Bf 109F-2 and Bf 109F-4. More on this project can be found in the Special Projects section which we will visit later.

My 4K skins are a direct result of this 4K project! 

4K Bf 109F-2 "Factory Default"

These 2 skins have camouflages that they would have worn as they rolled off the production line. 

I wanted to make sure that the F-4 and F-2 planes would not look the same so I made unique camouflage patterns and weathering for these planes.

I also decided to give the early and late variant a different camouflage based on the issued RLM colour combinations at the time of production.

Special thanks to the Hydra Squadron for helping me with finding the info on the camouflage patterns.

It is the first time I am able to say this but you can no longer download this skin. Instead, just enable 4K skins in game and there it is. (and many more F-2 Skins)

Special thanks to Feraphic to help me with the dual plane pictures.

eUYi1m2.jpg

4K Bf 109F-2 Johannes Trautloft (Early), Russia Late 1941

Stab JG 54, Flown by Maj. Johannes “Hannes” Trautloft, W. Nr. 5761, Russia, 1941.

He scored a total of 58 victories. On 27 July 1941, he received the Ritterkreuz for achieving 20 victories. He was part of the so-called “Fighter pilots’ Revolt” in early 1945.

This Skin is the version of Trautloft's plane before it was repainted during the winter of 1942/43. The repainted version is the "Trautloft" skin as seen in the game.

Take your own copy home with you and enjoy it in full glory!

http://download2260.mediafire.com/ixn8ppe1ftag/foe8lht911q2tsl/4K+Bf+109F-2+Johannes+Trautloft+Early.zip

Spoiler

gJbTba7.jpg

4K Bf 109F-2 Yellow 5, Russia Late 1941

12./JG 51, Flown by Unknown Pilot, W. Nr. Unknown, Unknown place and time.

Of course, don't forget to take a copy with you!

http://download2263.mediafire.com/58r44i5n98tg/7cuu4jht8ok5p6y/4K+Bf+109F-2+Yellow+5.zip

Spoiler

9QPkcwA.jpg

We will continue the tour in the next room where we dive into the wondrous world of 2K Bf 109 F-2 skins.

Edited by BlackHellHound1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 10

2K Bf 109 F-2

These F-2 skins are outdated and their download links have been removed! 😱
Instead, they are remade in 4K and part of the official release of IL-2 BoM!!! Enable 4K skins and you will have them! No need to download anything. 😊

(With the exception of Werner Mölders. Since that is an F-1)

The 2K skins are made with a customized version of the template provided by 777 studios and 1C game studios.

2K Bf 109 F-2 "Black Chevron and Bars" Flown by famous ace Hauptmann Hans Philipp, March 1942

He is credited with 206 enemy aircraft shot down in over 500 combat missions. The majority of his victories were claimed over the Eastern Front, with 29 claims over the Western Front.

He was Gruppenkommandeur 1, part of JG 54.

He was shot down on 8 October 1943 during an attack on B-17's returning to Britten. It is believed that he was shot down by a P-47 Thunderbolt although this has never been confirmed. He managed to bail out of his plane but his parachute failed to open.

Read the red message above if you want it!

ok9THO0.jpg

2K Bf 109 F-2 "Black Chevron and Triangle" Flown by ace Hauptmann Hans von Hahn, July 1941

Hans von Hahn is credited with 31 confirmed aerial victories. 19 on the Eastern Front, and 12 over the Western Front.

He was Gruppenkommandeur 1, part of JG 3.

Hans von Hahn received the "Knights Cross of the Iron Cross" for his successful military leadership and battlefield bravery.

His Technical Officer and probably wingman "Detlev Rohwer" also has a unique skin which we will go to next.

JG3 (alongside JG54) is known for its unusual camouflages. We will see more of them further on. 

tCz5ubj.jpg

2K Bf 109 F-2 "Black Chevron and Circle" Flown by ace Leutnant Detlev Rohwer, Late 1941

He was credited with 38 confirmed aerial victories. 26 on the Eastern Front, and 12 over the Western Front.

Rohwer was Gruppen-Technical Officer of 1./JG 3.

Detlev Rohwer received the "Knights Cross of the Iron Cross" on October 5th, 1941.

Detlev Rohwer was Hans von Hahn's Technical officer and wingman. 

Due to a small number of WW2 pictures I had to improvise the pattern on the wings and fuselage. I have attempted to make the patterns as realistic as possible while matching the information I could find. I have chosen to make the wing-pattern similar to Hans von Hahn's plane. Although, I have made sure they are not the same. For the other unknown parts of the plane, I used a combination of von Hahn's plane as well as other JG3 Bf 109F's.

Special thanks to unreasonable for helping gather information on the plane.

P49Lsf5.jpg

2K Bf-109F-1 "Black Double Chevrons and Bars" Flown by ace Oberst Werner Mölders

He was the leading ace in the Spanish Civil War and the first to claim 100 victories. He is best known for developing new fighter tactics like the "Finger-four" formation.

After his 101st kill, he was promoted "Oberst" on 20 July 1941 effectively ending his career as a pilot.

Mölders was killed in a plane crash on route to Ernst Udet's funeral. 

You can find the link to this amazing skin here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/12d33mckd9a297c/Bf+109F-2+Werner+M%C3%B6lders.zip

6u1kxDs.jpg

2K Bf 109F-2 "Black/White Chevrons and Bar" Flown by ace Oberst Dietrich Hrabak, Summer 1941

Dietrich Hrabak has scored a total of 125 victories during his entire career. 

He was Gruppenkommandeur of II./JG54 when flying this plane. 

Some part of the plane were not on any pictures. Therefore, I had to use parts of other planes to create the complete pattern. I have attempted to make the patterns as realistic as possible while matching the information I could find. I used the patterns from other planes from JG54 with a similar camouflage pattern.

MHXahXs.jpg

We have seen all the Bf 109F-2's. It is time to move on to the 4K Bf 109 F-4 skins!

We will have to go to the next room to find then!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

4K Bf 109 F-4

Some of these F-4 skins are outdated and their download links have been removed! 😱
Instead, they are remade in 4K and part of the official release of IL-2 BoM!!! Enable 4K skins and you will have them! No need to download anything. 😊

Before we continue with the tour, I would like to remind you that there is a complete skin pack with all skins included that you will see on this tour!

With the Bf 109 F-2's out of the way it is time to take a look at the 4K Bf 109 F-4's

A plane that was surprisingly not a development of the F-2 or F-3 but was designed and build at the same time!

It was a shortage of DB 601 E engines that lead to the production of the F-2's with the DB 601 N engine and MG 151 alongside the F-4!

The following skins are made with my 4K Bf 109 F-4 template. You can read more about this in the Special Projects section!

4K Bf 109 F-4 "Factory Default" 

Uses an outdated tempate!!!

We start the F-4 tour with 2 Factory Default paint schemes as they would have worn when they rolled off the production line. 

The 2 paint schemes look very similar at first glance and yet there is a difference! 

Early Bf 109 F-4's had structural issues at the rear of the plane where the frame was not strong enough to hold up the horizontal stabilisers reliably. To fix this, small reinforcing bars were added to outside of the plane. This was later replaced by internal reinforcements negating the need for external reinforcements.

The skins are fully based on WW2 documents and RLM requirements for fighter planes of the time. 

I have to thank Bismarck for helping me out with information and historical documents on this plane. 

You can get your own free copies of these skins here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/s3hyz5xztjekq9h/4K+Bf+109F-4+Default+Skins.zip

This skin comes included with the 4K Normal Map which belongs to this plane!

5dq2bsv.jpg

4K Bf 109 F-4 "Black 1 + ~" Flown by Ace Max-Hellmuth Ostermann, May 1942

Max-Hellmuth Ostermann was part of 8./JG54. He scored a total of 102 confirmed victories of which 8 are over the western front. 

He received the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves for 62 victories and later received the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords for 100 victories.

Max-Hellmuth was shot down on the 9th of august 1942 during an attack on Russian P-40's when he was surprised from above. 

This is probably the most accurate skin you will find in this museum for now. The potential of the 4K skins is very clear on this plane and put to good use. Attention to the smallest details helped create this incredibly accurate skin!

RtnAA4Z.jpg

4K Skin Pack Bf 109F-4 "4 Plane Skin pack" From III. Gruppe 9./JG3, summer 1942

Next up we have a nice pack of 4 skins from III. Gruppe 9./JG3!

The unusual camouflage pattern came to exist when III. Gruppe of JG3 was diverted to the eastern front. The planes were originally meant to go to north Africa and thus had desert camouflages. When in Russia the planes were painted over with RLM 70 and RLM 75 to more closely match the summer conditions in Russia.

All of these planes have unique changes made to them. The basic pattern is the same although there are many differences. I have tried to implement these as accurate as possible to create 4 similar yet unique skins. 

If you want to fly these skins completely accurate then you should have the armoured windscreen and the headrest equipped. 

4K Bf 109 F-4 "Maxi (4+I)" Flown by Ace Eberhard Von Boremski, May 1942

Von Boremski was credited with a total of 104 aerial victories. 

Von Boremski was awarded 3 medals: Iron Cross, Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and the German Cross in gold. 

Von Boremski was killed in 1963 in an accident in Hamburg.

4K Bf 109 F-4 "Peterle (6+I)" Flown by Ace Georg Schentke, July 1942

Schentke scored a total of 90 confirmed aerial victories during his career. 4 over the western front and 86 over the eastern front. 

Schentke was awarded 6 medals including the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. 

On Christmas day 1942 debris from an IL-2 that he had just shot down damaged his Bf 109G-2. This forced him to bail over Russian positions west of Stalingrad. This was the last time he was seen alive. 

4K Bf 109  F-4 "Ellen (7+I)" Flown by Ace Viktor Bauer, July 1942

Bauer was credited with a total of 106 aerial victories in just over 400 combat missions. 4 of these were scored over the Western front. 

He was awarded several medals including the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak leaves

Viktor Bauer died on 13 December 1969 in Bad Homburg v.d. Höhe.

4K Bf 109 F-4 "Rio (9+I)" Flown by Ace Adalbert Kuhn, May 1942

Kuhn scored a total of 5 kills. 

On the 29th of may, 1942 Adalbert Kuhn and his wingman E. Volkman lost their orientation and landed near Chuguyev behind Russian lines. 

The aircraft was later shipped to the United States after they crashed on of there own. They repainted and remarked it EB-1 and later remarked again to EB-100

The skins Eberhard von Boremski and Georg Schentke have been removed. Read the red message above to see why.

Take your own copy of the skins with you! So that you and your friends can fly as 9./JG3 just like in the war!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hhtj7eywy4bdk5i/4K_Bf_109_F-4_9._JG3_Skin_Set.zip

The Normal Map for these planes is included. Full installation instructions are included in the download.

Special thanks to Hydra's Feraphic, Kurfurst and k1ng for helping me make these awesome pictures!

UK9Blb4.jpg

You can find some more pictures of this flight here. http://imgur.com/a/Waen1

Unfortunately, we have to leave these beauties behind and move on.

The 2K Bf 109 F-4's are next.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

2K Bf 109 F-4

Some of these F-4 skins are outdated and their download links have been removed! 😱
Instead, they are remade in 4K and part of the official release of IL-2 BoS!!! Enable 4K skins and you will have them! No need to download anything. 😊

We start off with non-other than the famous hero Franz Stigler.

2K Bf 109 F-4/Trop "White 12 - " Flown by famous ace Oberleutnant Franz Stigler

He ended the war with a total of 45 Kills. This plane was part of JG 27.

Franz Stigler is famous for the "Charlie Brown and Franz Stigler incident".

You can be the hero yourself! All you have to do is take this home with you and show to your friends!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/99aibh22la9efau/Bf+109F-4+Franz+Stigler.zip

v6oxLs0.jpg 

2K Skin Pack Bf 109F-4 "4 Plane Skin pack" From III. Gruppe 9./JG3, summer 1942

Next up we have a nice pack of 4 skins from III. Gruppe 9./JG3!

The unusual camouflage pattern came to exist when III. Gruppe of JG3 was diverted to the eastern front. The planes were originally meant to go to north Africa and thus had desert camouflages. When in Russia the planes were painted over with RLM 70 and RLM 75 to more closely match the summer conditions in Russia.

Each plane has some small differences in the camouflage pattern from the others. I have tried to implement these as accurate as possible to create 4 similar yet unique skins. 

If you want to fly these skins completely accurate then you should have the armoured windscreen and the headrest equipped. 

2K Bf 109 F-4 "Maxi (4+I)" Flown by Ace Eberhard Von Boremski, May 1942

Von Boremski was credited with a total of 104 aerial victories. 

Von Boremski was awarded 3 medals: Iron Cross, Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and the German Cross in gold. 

Von Boremski was killed in 1963 in an accident in Hamburg.

2K Bf 109 F-4 "Peterle (6+I)" Flown by Ace Georg Schentke, July 1942

Schentke scored a total of 90 confirmed aerial victories during his career. 4 over the western front and 86 over the eastern front. 

Schentke was awarded 6 medals including the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. 

On Christmas day 1942 debris from an IL-2 that he had just shot down damaged his Bf 109G-2. This forced him to bail over Russian positions west of Stalingrad. This was the last time he was seen alive. 

2K Bf 109  F-4 "Ellen (7+I)" Flown by Ace Viktor Bauer, July 1942

Bauer was credited with a total of 106 aerial victories in just over 400 combat missions. 4 of these were scored over the Western front. 

He was awarded several medals including the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak leaves

Viktor Bauer died on 13 December 1969 in Bad Homburg v.d. Höhe.

2K Bf 109 F-4 "Rio (9+I)" Flown by Ace Adalbert Kuhn, May 1942

Kuhn scored a total of 5 kills. 

On the 29th of may 1942 Adalbert Kuhn and his wingman E. Volkman lost their orientation and landed near Chuguyev behind Russian lines. 

The aircraft was later shipped to the United States after they crashed on of their own. They repainted and remarked it EB-1 and later remarked again to EB-100

The skins Eberhard von Boremski and Georg Schentke Are now part of the IL-2 Sturmovik BoS as 4K skins
The skins Victor Bauer and Adelberd Kuhn can be downloaded in 4K above.

jDaZ2Zm.jpg

PeUy6JH.jpg

2K Bf 109 F-4 "Black 1" Flown by ace Oberleutnant Max-Hellmuth Ostermann, May 1942. W.Nr. 13088

He claimed a total of 102 victories in over 300 combat missions. Most victories were achieved on the eastern front, eight were claimed on the western front and one over Belgrade.

Max-Hellmuth received the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves for his 62nd aerial victory on 12 march 1942. He was the second JG54 pilot to reach 100 kills (Hans Phillip was the first) and the sixth overall. 

He was part of JG54. He was killed in combat on August 9th, 1942.

ymdMs8R.jpg

This part of the museum is not yet completely filled due to expected future expansions.

We will continue in part 3 with the 2K Bf 109 G-2 and 2K Fw 190 A-3's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

2K Bf 109 G-2 and 2K Fw 190 A-3

Before we continue with the tour, I would like to remind you that there is a complete skin pack with all skins included that you will see on this tour!

http://www.mediafire...e skin pack.zip

We now move on to a bit more modern planes. We start with the 2K Bf 109 G-2 and then move on to the 2K Fw 190 A-3's

2K Bf 109 G-4 "Yellow 9" Flown by the aces Ján Režňák, Vladimir Krisko and Stefan Martis April-May1943. W.Nr. 19347

Jan Reznak was the most successful Slovak air force pilot. He scored a total of 32 victories. 

This plane was part of 13./JG52. Pilots were not assigned a specific plane, therefore this plane was also flown by other aces like Vladimir Krisko (9 Victories) and Stefan Martis (5 Victories).

This fighter fell into Russian hands when a 12 victory ace defected to the Soviets on 9 September 1943.

Although, technically a G-4, this skin is made for the G-2. 

Feel free to take the skin home with you and fly around as a real ace!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bqa1ig99thqpkbo/Bf+109G-4+Jan+Reznak.zip

eClBFLp.jpg

Here you can see the 2K Fw 190 A-3's in all their glory!

We kick things off with a skin made on request.

2K Fw 190A-3 Flown by Oberleutnant Armin Faber

This plane was part of JG 2 which was stationed on the western front.

Armin Faber accidentally landed his plane on an English airfield after an engagement with a Czech RAF pilot. This made his new Fw 190A-3 the first Fw 190 captured by allied forces. 

This skin was requested by "WWChunk"

You can fly in this beautiful skin yourself. Just make sure to land on an axis airfield!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dc9irjhojlv7r0k/Fw+190A-3+Armin+Faber.zip

HjCcccf.jpg

2K Fw 190A-3 Flown by Oberleutnant Egon Mayer, June 1942

This plane was part of 7./JG 2.

Egon Mayer was credited with 102 aircraft shot down including 26 4-engined bombers, 51 Spitfires and 12 P-47's. All claimed over the Western front.

He was the first to claim 100 victories entirely over the Western front.

Together with his fellow ace Georg-Peter Eder, Mayer developed the head-on attack against daylight heavy bombers. 

Egon Mayer was shot down on March 2nd, 1944 while leading an attack on a USAAF bomber formation. A P-47 Thunderbolt escort fighter shot him down near Montmédy, France.

Egon Mayer received multiple medals for his actions. 

Fly those bombers head-on yourself with this amazing skin.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/i6erelpl09mppvl/Fw+190A-3+Egon+Mayer.zip

0DBvFWQ.jpg

2K Fw 190A-4 White 12, Krasnogvardeysk Russia Winter 1942

This plane was part of 1./JG 54. Stationed in Krasnogvardeysk near Leningrad.

Despite my thorough search, I could not find any other information regarding the pilot or plane.

Fly as this unknown pilot yourself and show the world what an unknown pilot can do!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ngoed7q4kjdi3y4/Fw+190A-4+White+12.zip

ccMoUs0.jpg

2K Fw 190A-3 Johannes Rathenow White 12 + o, Holland 1942

Johannes Rathenow was part of 10./JG 1. He was stationed in Holland at the time.

He was killed South of Wilhelmshaven during an attack on a group of bombers with their escort P-38's. 

You can find your own copy of this plane here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/n85jwbksu642295/Fw+190A-3+Johannes+Rathenow.zip

DinlFj4.jpg

We have had all historically accurate German planes. It is now time to move on to the Soviet planes.

Let's go to the next room to see these Soviet war machines.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

4K P-51D-15NA, 2K Yak-1 Series 96, and 2K IL-2AM-38 (Model 1942)

I do want to remind you that there is a Complete Skin pack available with all skins included!

We start off with the famous and loved 4K P-51D-15NA Mustang.

4K Skin Pack P-51D-5NA's Lou IV/Athelene, E2 S, and Sky Bouncer  26 July 1944 (Updated 7-11-2019)

Lou IV/Athelene was flown by Colonel Thomas J.J. Christian, Jr.  E2 S was flown by 2nd Lieutenant Donald D. Dellinger. Sky Bouncer was flown by Captain Bruce W. "Red" RowlettThey were part of the now famous "The Bottisham Four" from the 375th Fighter Squadron, 361st Fighter Group, 8th Air Force. A flight of 4 aircraft  that was photographed on 26 July 1944. None of the 4 aircraft survived the war. 

14 days after the photos were taken, on 9 August 1944, 2nd Lieutenant Donald D. Dellinger on a training flight made a crash landing near Stalham, Norfolk. Killing him in the process.
3 days later, 361st Fighter Group commanding officer Colonel Thomas J.J. Christian, Jr. was killed during a dive bombing attack against the Arras railroad yards in Boisleux-au-Mont, France.
Captain Bruce W. "Red" Rowlett was send back to the United states after 109 combat missions. He continued to fly for the Air Force following WW2. He partook in the Berlin Airlift

And of course you can take a copy home with you!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/p2fsfe3dtag84of/4K_BHH_P-51D_361st_FG_3x.zip/file

Spoiler

OKW01ha.jpg

4K P-51D-20NA "Big Beautiful Doll" Flown by ace Col. John Dave Landers

Landers was one of only a few pilots to score an ace in both the PTO and ETO. In the pacific he scored 6 victories confirmed and 5 more probables. His remaining victories were scored in Europe, 14,5 of which were confirmed aerial victories. He would be credited in total with 36,5 victories.

At the time of this plane, Landers was the commanding officer of 78th FG. Although, he also served with the 55th FG and 357th FG. In total, he was awarded with 12 awards.

Of course, you can also take this beauty home with you!

Available both with hakenkreuz or with hakenkreuz replacement.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/lytbotqhtwdpoqy/4K_BHH_P-51D_Big_Beautiful_Doll.zip/file

Spoiler

XhC1rPx.jpg

Next we have the powerful 2K Yak-1 Series 69

2K Yak-1 "М. Д. Баранов" Flown by ace MikhaiDmitrievich Baranov (Михаил Дмитриевич Баранов), Summer 1942

Mikhail was the leading Soviet ace during the Battle of Stalingrad with 24 victories. 

Mikhail Baranov was part of the 183 IAP (Istrevitelnyy Aviatsionyy Polk = Fighter Aviation Regiment) of the 269 IAD (Istrevitelnaya Aviatsionnaya Diviziya = Fighter Aviation Division) of the 8 VA (Vozdushnaya Armiya = Air Army).

He died in an accident on 15 January 1943 while testing a Yak-1.

I know this plane is already in the game but it is filled with flaws so I decided to make my own version. 

You can find your very own copy of this plane right here!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5gg3rhy50bvso9w/Yak-1+S69+Mikhail+Baranov.zip

tewHaL0.jpg

We move on to what is probably the most powerful ground attack aircraft of WW2!

The mighty and feared 2K IL-2AM-38 (model 1942)

2K IL-2M "Нельсон Георгиевич СтепанянFlown by Nelson Gevorkovich Stepanyan (Нельсон Георгиевич Степанян), 1944

Nelson Stepanyan was a Soviet Armenian Sturmovik pilot during WW2. He was twice awarded the military title of the "Hero of the Soviet Union", the highest title in the former USSR.

Soviet sources assert that Stepanyan undertook no less than 239 combat sorties, sunk 53 ships thirteen of which he did alone, destroyed 80 tanks, 600 armoured vehicles, and 27 aircraft.

During his final sortie in Latvia on December 14th, 1944 his plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire, Nelson Stepanyan rammed his damaged plane into a German warship killing himself and his navigator Captain Alexander Rumyantsev.

His death devastated the rest of his squadron. His fellow pilots sent the following letter to his parents:

"Stepanyan was a simple and modest man, close and beloved by all; he was a father and teacher to all of us, a friend and a commander....We all wept when Nelson Gevorgovich failed to return on that fateful day. They say that tears bring comfort. But the few tears of a soldier, like the red-hot drops of metal, burn the heart and call for vengeance."

Nelson was part of the 47th ShAP when he flew this plane. 

Take up arms and avenge this fallen hero of the Soviet Union and fight for vengeance!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/i5ec17x2usnpf4f/IL2M42+Nelson+Stepanyan.zip

HpjcauI.jpg

2K IL-2 "Red 5" Pilot Unknown, Probably 1942/1943

Not much is known about this plane except for how it looks.

I know this plane is already in the game but it is filled with flaws so I decided to make my own version. 

Zp7Iac9.jpg

With the glory of the Soviet Union out of the way, it is time to have a look at the Special Projects section. 
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Special Projects!

In this section, you will learn about the special projects I have had over the years. These projects are skin related but are (mostly) not skins themselves. 

4K Bf 109 F-2 and Bf 109 F-4 Template Project

(Bf 109F-2 Template updated on 24-12-2018)(Bf 109F-4 Template updated on 07-04-2019)

With the introduction of DirectX 11 for the Battle of X games, 4K skins became a reality. Of course, simply upscaling a 2K skin is not good enough! To take full advantage of the 4K resolution, a completely new template has to be made. 

I decided to make the template for both the Bf 109 F-2 and the Bf 109 F-4. My goal with this skin was to make a more accurate skin template. Therefore, I have added many bits of detail that are not present on the original 2K template.

The many hours spent researching and painstakingly remaking all the parts and layers of the template have paid off.

Over 320 layers with probably double the number of effects applied to these layers have resulted in a near completely new template.

I would also like to thank Bismarck for helping me with information and manuals on the plane. It helped me greatly to improve the skin's detail.

You can download the templates yourself right here. 

4K Bf 109 F-2 Template can be found in the Official Skin Templates thread

4K Bf 209 F-4 Template can be found in the Official Skin Templates thread

You can read the entire story on the template right here behind the curtain. 

320+ layers do sound well and nice but I am sure you are now wondering what I changed.

The list is long but covers pretty much everything that I have completely remade.

Structural:

Rivets: I have rebuilt the rivet pattern with rivets of a new shape. The shape is that of a cross. When loaded in the game it more resembles a round rivet. More so then a square rivet shape. Additional effects create the look of a rivet that has caused a slight amount of plate metal deformation. The pattern was completely rebuilt with the use of Luftwaffe manuals and pictures of various 109's.

Screws: I added 2 new screws types in the places where they belong. I designed them in such a way that they actually look like a screw. Dirt effects around the screw make the screws stand out just a bit more without looking unrealistic.

Panel lines: The majority of the panel lines were fine. I simply replaced those with lines of finer detailed lines. I did notice that some lines were slightly misaligned. I realigned these and changed the rivets pattern accordingly.

Additional holes: There are a few holes in the plane that were not previously present. These holes are added with a special effect on the Alpha layer... (they are actual physical holes!)

Early and late version:

Both the F2 and F-4 have an early and late version. With the F series introduction, it was noted that the horizontal stabiliser needed some more reinforcements to deal with the additional stresses (because of the removal of the supports present on the E series). These reinforcements were initially placed on the outside of the fuselage and consisted of 4 reinforcing plates under the horizontal stabiliser. On the later versions of the F-2 and F-4, these were replaced with either a reinforced internal frame or internal reinforcing plates.

Since there are 2 versions of each plane, I decided to make both. (you will find both skins in the folder)

Structural effects:

I have added a variety of shadow effects to the panel line so to make some of them look like they stand out just a little bit. The most noticeable places where I added such effects are; below the cockpit, above the wing roots and around the horizontal stabiliser. However, Small shadow effects like this are visible on the entire plane in the correct places.

Small parts like access panels, fuel caps and other small parts have also received corresponding shadow effects.

As mentioned before, Rivets have been given realistic shadow and warp effects. These effects are added in such a way that in certain light conditions the rivets will look different. Although, in most cases, the rivets are nearly impossible to notice.

The screws have also been given realistic effects. As mentioned before, there are 2 types of screw. A small flat-head screw which is used over almost the entire plane and a large type with is used on the wing roots and medical supplies hatch. Technically, there are 4 types of screws but they are quite similar. These screws each have their own effects to create unique screws that don't look like they are simply copied and pasted. To further enhance this, I made it look like the screws are turned in different directions.

I have added internal shadows between the main fuselage and the various control surfaces. These shadows can be found in places like the ailerons, rudder, flaps and much more.

The Bf 109F series still has some parts covered in fabric. The parts have been given appropriate effects to make them look like fabric and not like metal. For instance, they are a bit duller resulting in less light reflection in certain situations.

Internal parts:

I have improved and sharpened the internal parts of the plane. (Even though these won't be visible for the pilot of the plane.)

The radiators have been completely remade to more closely resemble the real radiators. Of course, these are barely visible but still worth the effort.

A variety of other small internal parts has been changed to more closely resemble the real plane.

Weathering:

Weathering was a difficult challenge. The first and most important thing was to decide how and how much weathering there should be.

Since I am trying to make the template as realistic as possible, I decided to base if off pictures of WW2 Bf 109's. The most noticeable about the weathering on these planes is that the planes are often dirty on the underside but have very little scratches. Most scratches can be found where the pilots and mechanics are standing on the wings.

I tried my best to recreate this. Most dirt can be found on the underside of the nose, the underside of the flaps, the underside of the tail, and where the pilot and mechanics would stand on the wing. Other areas have less heavy dirt with some area's looking almost perfectly clean.

The scratches are placed mostly on the left wing where the pilots and mechanics would step. There are also some scratches on the gear covers, the underside of the flaps and underside of the tail. Although, these are not as big or dense.

The rivets in these areas also have some dirt effects added in these same areas. This simulates the dirt that would build up between the rivet and plate metal and makes them stand out a bit better.

I remade the oil leaks on the underside of the plane as well. I based it off 2 images that I found off the underside of the plane. I did not add heavy leak effects like the original template since these planes were usually maintained very well.

I had the same gaol with the exhaust smoke residue. I found very few pictures of Bf 109's with heavy exhaust smoke residue so I made mine to copy this lighter effect.

The same counts for the gun smoke residue. Not too heavy but still visible.

It is always possible for the mechanics to spill a bit of oil or fuel when servicing the plane. Therefore, I added small but not overpowering leak effects around the fuel hatch and oil hatch.

Camouflage pattern and Decals

The camouflage is based off a document that was used in WW2. It shows the factory standard camouflage pattern for the Bf 109 of this time period. All colours are added as mentioned in the document.

The decals were a bit more complicated. SPECTRE76 made a very nice document with all factory markings for the 109's. I decided not to use these but instead make my own with the use of the field manual pages included in his .ZIP file.

The decals, colours and sizes are all as described in these field manual pages. I determined the placement of these decals with the use of WW2 pictures.

The Balkenkreuz on the wings and fuselage have also been remade according to field manuals. The Hakenkreuz and Hakenkreuz replacement were remade in the same way.

Due to the higher resolution, many of these decals are no readable from a short distance.

Other small parts

The plane contains many different small parts that are usually overlooked. Things like the charging cover, gear parts, panel locks, exhausts, data plate and much more are either completely remade with the use of pictures or improved versions of the original layers.

The gun pod detail has also been improved with the same effects I mentioned above.

Alpha layer

The alpha layer has been rebuild to match the newly made rivets, panel lines, smoke, scratches, etc. Almost every layer in the above mentioned; Structural, Structural effects, Internal parts, Weathering and Other small parts has been added and adjusted to create the most realistic look possible.

Each layer in the Alpha channel has its own effects and combined they create a very realistic looking reflection pattern on the plane's surfaces.

As mentioned before, the fabric parts are a bit duller since they would not have the same reflection as metal parts.

I also added a few minute fixes to the alpha channel outside of my personally added effects. Cleaning up a few things left and right to improve the model. Especially when looking at the plane from close range.

Normal Map

After about one and a half month of extra work, I finished my Normal Map for my 4K Bf 109F-2 and 4K Bf 109 F-4 Template and skins.

I have completely rebuild the normal map. Here is a list of everything I have rebuild from the ground up:

• Completely new panel line effects 
  • Various different types of overlapping panel effects
  • Bend metal plate effects
  • Slightly misaligned panels
  • Access hatches effects
  • Metal warping caused by heat, twisting and compression (heavier around the engine, wing roots, gear covers and more)
  • Rivet effects (different intensities in certain areas)
  • Large rivet effects
  • Small screw effects
  • Large screw effects
  • Fabric effects on ailerons, elevator and rudder
  • Frame effects under the fabric on the ailerons, elevator and rudder.
  • Radiators
  • Wheel hubs and wheels
  • Welds
  • Several other small effects

These effects are combined to recreate all the different effects that make up the construction of the Bf 109F-4 or Bf 109 F-2.

Many of these effects are completely new and not present in the original normal map. 

This 4K Normal Map differs greatly from the original normal map and skins. This means that this normal map will only work with skins which are made with my 4K Bf 109 F-2 or Bf 109 F-4 Template! 

Therefore, I advise you only use skins made with my 4K Bf 109F-2 or Bf 109 F-4 Template when you install this normal map.

4K template

The 4K templates were a project greater than I have ever done before. The template files are over 1.05GB. The files are so big that I have to hide about 80% of the layers in order to make the file workable.

Therefore, I have compressed the layers. This will mean that some elements are less editable but I am sure you guys have the skill to make it work.

Update on 12-03-2018

• Fixed the fuel hatch on the left side. It is now bigger and placed a bit lower matching historical data. (Photographs)
  • Fixed the rivets surrounding the fuel hatch on the left side to match the historical data. (Photographs)
  • Fixed a panel line on the left wing which was one pixel too far outward.
  • Fixed a few misaligned rivets on the right wing.
  • Fixed the misaligned data plates on the spinning propeller.
  • Removed the Bf 109F-2 Late version from the template and skins. (This version existed but was quite rare)
  • Removed the Bf 109F-4 Early version from the template and skins. Did not add enough value to the template and skins and caused mismatch if the second template was used.
  • Normal Map has been completely rebuilt with new effects. These effects make the plane look less dull and flat.
  • Alpha Channel has been rebuilt to match the current fixes and new weathering.
  • Weathering on the skins has been changed significantly. It is now a bit dirtier but still in a realistic manner. These effects also help make the plane a bit less dull.
  • Bf 109F-2 Default skin has been updated to the new template.
  • Bf 109F-4 Default skin has been updated to the new template.
  • Bf 109F-4 9. JG3 skin set skins have all been updated to the new template.
  • Bf 109F-4 Max-Hellmuth Ostermann skin has been updated to the new template.

R3qjX0s.jpg

4K IL-2 AM-38F (Model 1943) Template and Skins (Officially released with Battle of Kuban)

A long-kept secret and an unexpected reveal. This was a long and educational road and there is a lot to tell. Which I won’t! I will keep this limited to the design goals for this project and what it took to get there. I could probably write a report of over one hundred pages to tell the full story but that would take too long to write and is probably boring to read for the most part. And since I want this to remain readable and somewhat entertaining, it is probably best not to add any unnecessary information.

And of course, there is always the part where I can’t talk about certain things.

The complete project probably took over 500 hours of work, more than 1300 layers, effects and folders, 16 skins, and over 60GB of storage (and that backed up 3 times!). Since I had to balance this with my study, the project ultimately took about 9 months.

I chose the IL-2 1943 with AM-38F as it would force me to learn a lot of new things about a plane I did not know. I set myself a simple goal that is all but simple to achieve; recreate the most accurate texture maps, normal maps and damage model representation of an IL-2 model 1943 ever used in a video game. And if possible, do this in less than 4 months’ time. Which seemed possible before I started since I had done the 4K Bf 109F-2 and F-4 in about that timeframe. If only I had known the amount of research required, and the amount of small and annoying details to add and the constantly rework.

You can find the template to make your own skins via either of these links:

Official skin templates

4K IL-2 AM-38F (Model 1943) Template release

You can read more about this project below the spoiler

In any situation where the attempt is made to create something historically accurate, a lot of research is needed. I am sure I have done enough of it (maybe even too much!). Collecting books, websites, online discussions, blueprints from reputable sources, and photographs (WW2 and new) of the same and of varying versions of the aircraft is the first and easiest part.

Then the hard part starts; finding out the differences in the models. The Soviets were quite good at producing the same plane in different factories with different materials and production techniques. This makes it hard to find out what parts to use and what not. The in-game 3D model revealed to me that the plane was an IL-2 build at Zavod 30 (factory 30). This was indeed confirmed by the developers. This gave me the starting point.

With the information, I started to figure out the small differences between the planes and what parts were similar. Of course, the similar parts are easy. The devil is found in the small detail. Things that may seem simple (like what panels overlap and how they overlap) but can take days if not weeks to figure out. One factory will make a plate that sits flush with the neighbouring parts, but another factory simply bolt on an overlapping plate. And some factories even switch to a different production method halfway through a production run. It is things like these that take time to figure out and get right.

This never ended. Even when I thought I was done; I discovered something new and added several days’ worth of work to the project. For instance, I had to redo large parts of the horizontal stabilizer 3 times because each time, I had found new, more accurate, and more reliable information.

Towards the end of the project, a single readjustment required the adjustment of; the structural component, the wear and weathering, the alpha channel structural, the alpha channel wear and weathering, the normal map, and sometimes even the damage map! It could take a day work to just readjust a panel line a few pixels. Not to mention the larger changes.

With the information I needed, I could finally start work on the template. Panel lines and materials first. They are easily visible on blueprints and photographs and can be lined up with the use of the 3D model relatively easily. Keep in mind that I don’t make a “4k copy of the existing patterns” but recreated and realigned everything completely from scratch.

The rivets are probably the most annoying. They are not hard but getting them right takes a lot of time. Each panel had to have nearly the same number of rivets as the real plane to make it look right. The correct spacing between rivets was a key part of this process. Sadly, I could not get every panel perfect because it is hard to find good photographs of each panel. And even the most reliable blueprints are rarely accurate enough to display the rivets 100% correct.

The screws were relatively easy. The plane uses 5 types of screw which each required different effects but thanks to photographs, it was not to hard to recreate. The fact that there are relatively few screws also made this part a bit easier. I noticed that on the real planes some screws are not always perfectly aligned and that they are oriented differently. Which, of course, I could not leave out. Each screw type has 8 different orientations that have been used randomly.

To complete the structural part of the template, a lot of other small elements have been added. Shadow effects, holes, latches, rails, and many more that I simply do not remember anymore.

With the structural parts, I could start on the Normal Map. For those who don’t know: A normal map is a funny coloured texture map that helps create a “fake” 3D effect by determining in which direction light reflects off a certain pixel area. This is a great tool that allows to the creation of different panel effects, rivets, screws, material and deformation, etc. However, given my goal, it was very difficult to get accurate. Due to the different overlapping panels, different materials, different types of screw and many other small elements, I had to experiment a lot. A single screw could have gone through several iterations of effects to get it right. Now imagine that for several types of screws, several types of panel overlap, various styles of bend metal plates, various construction material properties, different transitions between materials, and the countless small details that I simply can’t remember because there are too many of them. My previous work on the Bf 109’s helped a lot but there were so many more effects to add that I ended up adding some of the new effects from the IL-2 to my 4K Bf 109F’s.

I kept a logbook (although not perfectly) and because of this, I know that out of more than 485 hours of work, I spend over 250 hours building and correcting the structural components alone. The remaining was divided over the wear and weathering (about 75h), the skins including alpha channels (about 110h), the damage model (about 50).

A default skin later and the work on the wear and weathering could start. Once again, I didn’t want to copy the existing but instead did a lot of digging into real IL-2’s and how they display wear and dirt. Of course, the conditions vary heavily from field to field, so I started with collecting similarities and recreated these first. For instance, the wear made by walking on the wing is quite similar. Some have more than others but in general, they display the same patterns.

Combined with the “irregular” elements of the wear and weathering; three different wear and weathering levels were created. Light, medium and heavy. These were later mixed and adjusted for each individual skin to give the skins the most realistic and accurate look possible. It should be possible to distinguish about 10 different patterns of wear and weathering patterns if you look closely. Only a few skins have one of the 3 “standard” patterns because these planes did not display their wear and weathering enough on the pictures.

The creation of the skins themselves was done hand in hand with the creation of the unique wear and weathering. Making sure that even the smallest details are not overlooked. For instance; the IL-2 flown by Nelson Stepanyan has stars with slightly rounded tips and very little wear. Quite unusual for a Soviet plane. Some planes have asymmetrical stars, replaced parts, or any of numerous other unique elements. Ultimately, each plane is different. Not just in the camouflage and custom paint but down to the smallest detail. Even planes with the “same” basic camouflage pattern don’t have the exact same camouflage pattern. There are always differences between the planes.

Because the old damage model did not line up with my adjusted components, I ended up remaking the damage model as well in 4K. This was a whole new territory for me. I had done some work on the WT damage model for the P-51D a long time ago, but this was nothing like that. Much more detail and varying layers meant that a lot of testing and work had to be done.

I am not going into detail as to how the damage model works but I can tell you that it consists of 3 layers, an alpha material layer and an alpha channel in the normal map. Combined they add different effects that create the damage model we know today. I used several techniques and some hand drawing to remake all the damage. I adjusted several holes to make them match my new structural layout. The 4K damage model matches perfectly with the 4K textures.

Would I do this again if I had the opportunity? Totally! The amount of stuff that I learned was enormous and all worth it. I learned a lot about Soviet plane development and the small elements that make the IL-2 such a unique plane. From the developers, I learned a lot about the reasoning behind what choices are made and the importance of the art style that is used. I have become much more proficient with photoshop and its features and a lot of other stuff.

zcwN7F6.jpg

Bf 109 F-4 Template Upgrade

During the autumn of 2015, I decided to improve the Bf 109 F-4 template to make it more realistic. The paint chips and dirt felt incredibly overdone and I believed I could improve this. There was also a lot of scratches and paint chips in places where it makes no sense at all. 

You can read all about this project behind this curtain. The result of this project has been applied to all my 2K Bf 109 F-4 Skins!

There are also several comparing pictures to show the difference.

The project included:

• Redesigning the scratch pattern to create a more realistic look. I have taken in account how dust and sand would scratch the plane during operation and where people would leave scratches when handling the plane on the ground.
  • Slightly touching the dirt effects to fix some small but strange imperfections. There were some places with no dirt or oil where dirt and oil would easily accumulate. 
  • Complete redo of the Alpha channel (controls how shiny a part is). Mainly focused on rivets, panel lines, dirt, metal expansion and contraction deformation and the new scratch pattern. 
  • Making the panel lines a tiny bit more visible if needed. Some panel lines were completely invisible while being clearly visible on WW2 pictures. I also improved some lines that were barely visible.
  • Aligning some panel lines to make them symmetrical (if that was the case on the real plane)

I have used WW2 pictures to assist me. This allowed me to make a more accurate scratch and panel line pattern. 

I have tried to keep the style the same as the games original skins to make sure they don't stand out too much or look strange.

Game original template:

IFCSwIN.jpg

Updated template which includes the changes as mentioned above:

Uao3xmA.jpg

Fw 190 A-3 Template Upgrade

Just like with the F-4, the weathering was a bit overdone. I approached this upgrade the same way as with the F-4. This resulted in a cleaner looking Fw 190 A-3 that more closely resembles the real planes.

Some more detailed information on this project can be found behind this curtain. Although, they are mostly the same as with the F-4 Template Upgrade

The changes once again consist of:

• Redesigned scratch/paint chip pattern to create a more realistic look. I have taken in account how dust and sand would scratch the plane during operation and where people would leave scratches when handling the plane on the ground.
  • Slightly touching the dirt effects to fix some small but strange imperfections. There were some places with no dirt or oil where dirt and oil would easily accumulate. 
  • Complete redo of the Alpha channel (controls how shiny a part is). Mainly focused on rivets, panel lines, dirt, metal expansion and contraction deformation and the new scratch pattern. 
  • Making the panel lines a tiny bit more visible if needed. Some panel lines were completely invisible while being clearly visible on WW2 pictures. I also improved some lines that were barely visible.

Bf 109 E-7 Custom Template

Before making my Bf 109 E-7 "Black 10" Hubert Mutherich skin, I decided to customise the template for this plane. New weathering effects and adjusted panel lines are just one of the changes I made.

I directly applied this custom template to my Hubert Mutherich skin. I did not take any pictures of this plane but you can clearly see the difference between my skin and the ones provided by 777 studios and 1C game studios.

m46BrPn.jpg

Here you can see an image from Dev Diary 94

post-7693-0-70881400-1428679008.jpg

Bf 109F-4 "Bismarck"

Unlike my other skins. This is not a historical skin. This plane bears the markings of JG54 as well as Bismarck's personal markings. 

The skin is based off the JG 54 Hans Philipp skin I made earlier. 

This skin was requested by Bismarck

I agreed to make this skin with one condition: that bismarck would make a video about the skinning community. Which would hopefully have lead to an increase of custom skin users. 

I have to report with disappointment that this video still has not been made. I will post it here once it is made!

Of course, you can download this skin for yourself.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lqfs5k0hyft0xak/Bf+109F-4+Bismarck.zip

xb8gI2y.jpg

This special build is the last we get to see. 

The museum will be expanded over time so feel free to check in again later and see what's new!

Thank you for taking the tour and I hope you enjoyed it. Perhaps, I will see you again in the skies above Stalingrad, Moscow, Velikie Luki and Kuban!

Feel free to leave a comment about your experience, or if you have a question.

One last time I would like to remind you of my complete skin pack. 

Special thanks to Bismarck for helping me move the museum :)

Farewell to you all.

BlackHellHound1

:salute:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Thanks for all these great skins bro... ;)  :salute:

I just found out that something went wrong with the upload of my updated Complete skin pack.

It is currently missing the 4 new 4K 9./JG3 skins. 

Working on fixing it now.

EDIT: Download has been fixed. The complete skin pack is up to date again.

BlackHellHound1

• Upvote 1

many thanks , also I would like to have the défaut skin of the 109 E7 with the Hakenkreuz

possible ?

Many thanx!
But could you recheck 4K pack for F2 model. My guess there is something wrong with normal map. Like bumps don't match with panel lines.

13667447m.jpg

Edited by samson
  • Upvote 1

Many thanx!

But could you recheck 4K pack for F2 model. My guess there is something wrong with normal map. Like bumps don't match with panel lines.

13667447m.jpg

I found the issue. A folder name was incorrect which lead to the incorrect installation of the normal map. This problem only existed if you chose the version with Hakenkreuz. 

I have fixed it now. You can redownload the pack from its original download link. This updated pack will now correctly install the new normal map for those who use the Hakenkreuz version.

Thanks for the heads up.

BlackHellHound1

• Upvote 2

I have fixed it now. You can redownload the pack from its original download link

:thank_you:  

Outstanding skins, and a well organized museum too. Great stuff.

I hope you will be able to continue to add to your collection.

Outstanding skins, and a well organized museum too. Great stuff.

I hope you will be able to continue to add to your collection.

Thank you very much!

I will indeed add more skins to my museum. Although, not as frequent as before (as you may have noticed already) due to larger projects and less time to work on them.

I hope you still enjoy the Detlev Rohwer (and Hans von Hahn) skin. Hopefully, I will have some time to remake them in 4K some day :)

BlackHellHound1

• Upvote 1

Thanks for providing the templates BHH1, and for showing us your museum ;)

Cheers

Witch

Thanks a lot, guys! I appreciate your support.

Hopefully, I will have some time soon to add a few more to the collection.

BlackHellHound1

!!! Major Bf 109F Template and Skin Update !!!

I have revisited the Bf 109F templates and skins. This time armed with the knowledge I gained during the IL-2 project.

Several changes have been made to the F-2 and F-4 templates. 

• Fixed the fuel hatch on the left side. It is now bigger and placed a bit lower matching historical data. (Photographs)
  • Fixed the rivets surrounding the fuel hatch on the left side to match the historical data. (Photographs)
  • Fixed a panel line on the left wing which was one pixel too far outward.
  • Fixed a few misaligned rivets on the right wing.
  • Fixed the misaligned data plates on the spinning propeller.
  • Removed the Bf 109F-2 Late version from the template and skins. (This version existed but was quite rare)
  • Removed the Bf 109F-4 Early version from the template and skins. Did not add enough value to the template and skins and caused mismatch if the second template was used.
  • Normal Map has been completely rebuilt with new effects. These effects make the plane look less dull and flat.
  • Alpha Channel has been rebuilt to match the current fixes and new weathering.
  • Weathering on the skins has been changed significantly. It is now a bit dirtier but still in a realistic manner. These effects also help make the plane a bit less dull.
  • Bf 109F-2 Default skin has been updated to the new template.
  • Bf 109F-4 Default skin has been updated to the new template.
  • Bf 109F-4 9. JG3 skin set skins have all been updated to the new template.
  • Bf 109F-4 Max-Hellmuth Ostermann skin has been updated to the new template.

!! Note: These structural changes mean that it does not match the old template anymore. !!

I advise that all skins made with my templates are updated with this new template.

The templates and skins can be downloaded via their original links or via the links below.

As usual, all files include the normal map and installation instructions.

Complete skin pack 

F-2 Default Skin

F-4 Default Skin

F-4 9. JG3 Skin Set

F-4 Max-Hellmuth Ostermann Skin

F-2 Template

F-4 Template

BlackHellHound1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 3

Update Bf 109E-7 Hubert Mutherich skin!!!

The 3.002 update has changed something so that the filename of my Hubert Mutherich skins could not be read anymore. You can still select in in-game but it won't show the skin.

I have updated the file name by replacing the "ü" that was in the name to "u". This fixes the problem. 

You can fix this yourself by changing the file name to "JG77 Bf109E7 Hubert Mutherich" (Without quotations). Or you can delete your version and replace it with the updated file. You can download it via the original links but I also posted them below.

Here are the links to both:
Only JG 77 Hubert Mutherich skin

Complete skin pack

I have not yet discovered any other skins of mine with this problem. If you find one: send me a PM.

BlackHellHound1

• Upvote 2

I have added a small story on the 4K IL-2 AM-38F (model 1943) to the special projects section.

It does not encompass the entire project but should give an indication of what has been done during the project.

BlackHellHound1

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It is the first time that I can say this and it makes me very happy to do so 😄

With the release of Update 3.009, a set 19 skins for the Bf 109F-2 that I made have been added to the game.

Some of these skins are a 4K remake of the F-2 skins I had made some time ago. I removed the download links for these F-2 skins. These skins are now implemented in the game itself. No need to keep them here as well. Turn on 4K skins and you will have them and many more!

And of course, the 4K skins are much more accurate and better looking than the 2K skins you could find here.

I hope you guys enjoy them!

BlackHellHound

• Thanks 7

@BlackHellHound1 Somewhere in past id convinced myself I didn't get on with your "style" of template. 3.009 has forced me to revisit this for our squad skins.

Im happy to stand very very corrected! - What a beautiful creation! Your normal map, riveting treatment and artwork is exquisite!! 

My hat is off to you sir and had been eaten to boot!!

Thank you and congratulations!! - I really now hope the F4 will follow the road to officialdom! 

Congratulations on getting your skins into the official release.  I have always thought your work was outstanding, and that is against very stiff competition from other very able skinners whose work we all enjoy. Thank you.   

I am particularly pleased to see my old friends Hahn and Rohwer in there with their Tatzelwurms!  ;)    

Thanks a lot, guys! Your words are much appreciated

46 minutes ago, unreasonable said:

I am particularly pleased to see my old friends Hahn and Rohwer in there with their Tatzelwurms!  ;)    

I knew you would like those. Even before I started on those skins themselves. Nowhere near what they used to be though. (It is amazing what 1 new picture and more extensive analysis can do :P )

• Like 1

Bf 109F-2 Template Update

Of course, I cant have you guys make 4K Bf 109F-2 skins with an outdated template. 

The new and improved template has been added to the Official Skin Template thread and the old links have been removed. 

If you want to improve your F-2 skins or make some new skins, the new template is the way to do it.

BlackHellHound1

Hi Blackhellhound1,

I really like your new F2 skins. I have a question though. Could you make available your new F2 "Leesmann" skin as a seperate download as a F4 skin? And further, are you perhaps interested to produce some G2/G4/G6 skins for I./JG 52, by example the Bennemann and or Wiese plane(s) cited below, so that we have some I./JG 52 skins to use in career/campaigns? Thanks for consideration.

Edited by sevenless

2 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Hi Blackhellhound1,

I really like your new F2 skins. I have a question though. Could you make available your new F2 "Leesmann" skin as a seperate download as a F4 skin? And further, are you perhaps interested to produce some G2/G4/G6 skins for I./JG 52, by example the Bennemann and or Wiese plane(s) cited below, so that we have some I./JG 52 skins to use in career/campaigns? Thanks for consideration.

Hello Sevenless,

Happy to hear that you like the new skins. 

Because the Leesmann skin is part of the official skin set, I won't be releasing it or a slight variation of it as a custom skin.

As for the Gustav skins. Currently, I am too busy with my studies. I had to scrape together little bits of time to work on the F-2 skins the past few months. And I have exams coming up so even less time. I would love to update my templates for those planes one day and make some skins. However, there is no saying when I have the time to do that (if at all). 

I know this is not what you want to hear. Sadly, there is nothing I can do for you. 

I am sure you can find another talented skinner to make them for you.

BlackHellHound1

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlackHellHound1 said:

Hello Sevenless,

Happy to hear that you like the new skins. 

Because the Leesmann skin is part of the official skin set, I won't be releasing it or a slight variation of it as a custom skin.

As for the Gustav skins. Currently, I am too busy with my studies. I had to scrape together little bits of time to work on the F-2 skins the past few months. And I have exams coming up so even less time. I would love to update my templates for those planes one day and make some skins. However, there is no saying when I have the time to do that (if at all). 

I know this is not what you want to hear. Sadly, there is nothing I can do for you. 

I am sure you can find another talented skinner to make them for you.

BlackHellHound1

Hi,

thanks for your answer. All the best for your studies. And don´t worry, sooner or later someone of the talented folks of this board surely will get his hands on them.

I have 2 more 4K F-2 skins for you guys. An early version of the Johannes "Hannes" Trautloft skin (before it was repainted to the version we have in-game) and a 12.JG 51 Yellow 5 skin. 

These 2 were originally part of my set to be implemented into the game but the 17 skins are plenty.

As usual, they are available with and without Hakenkreuz. 

You can find the download link in the first post of my museum.

I hope you guys enjoy them! 

BlackHellHound1

UYqaN0h.jpg

nUFZm7O.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4