DirtyRotnFlieger

TrackIR and FFB working together cause terrible stuttering.

I have noticed stuttering before the last patch . I getting 60 fps but still see stuttering when I turn my head with trackIR.

I turned up the smoothing in the camera options but it doesn't get rid of all of it and causes slight delay in tracking also.

I turned off FFB and the stuttering is completely gone but I I can play other sims with working trackIR and FFB.

Track IR and FFB are THE best things about flight sim IMHO.

• Upvote 1

What joystick are you using?

I have a G940 and am using it with TrackIR and see no difference in stutter better or worse with FFB on or off.  I remember having such problems with RoF when I had my MSFFB2 joystick but a patch from the devs fixed it.

Here is a thread from RoF forum discussing this very issue.

https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/4690-stutter-using-force-feedback-track-ir/?hl=%2Bmsffb2&do=findComment&comment=155237

What joystick are you using?

I have a G940 and am using it with TrackIR and see no difference in stutter better or worse with FFB on or off.  I remember having such problems with RoF when I had my MSFFB2 joystick but a patch from the devs fixed it.

Here is a thread from RoF forum discussing this very issue.

https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/4690-stutter-using-force-feedback-track-ir/?hl=%2Bmsffb2&do=findComment&comment=155237

I had and have got this problems yet, both in RoF and BoS, so RoF´s patch hadn´t effect on my installation :(.

I got the stuttering problem too, mostly in scenes with some action (like Berloga with 30 players). I don't have a FF stick so it is not connected to that.

I tried a reinstall which helped a little, but there generally seems to be some kind of handling problem. Setting Maximum performance in Nvidia and prerendered frames to 0 seems to have helped a little, but this is unconfirmed as I have not had much time to test and verify this.

This is how it looks like for me: 

Edited by 216th_Jordan
  • Upvote 1

Same here. It all started with the release of Yak 1B.

I have mentioned it on the Russian forum, but devs said to wait for DirectX11. With DirectX11 even more stuttering!

They should fix it, it is not fun to play in a slide show mode.

It did only start for me with this patch, can you provide more info on your system, apps, drivers and stuff? (Helpful to have the info in your signature) I provided that info to the devs in the testers forum ... 

here is my report for example (its not very detailed but gives and idea - also non confidential ;) ) :

TrackIR (?) stutters now even at 60 fps (it did not in the beta) sometimes with severe tearing effect (vysnc on).

TrackIR version: 5.4

Stuttering persists in situations with quite some action. (Video taken on Berloga server with about 30 players online)

The stuttering does not necessarily have to be connected by TrackIR but TrackIR may show the issue when used (lots of movement).

I did try this to fix it:

- Reinstall the game

- clean installation of the newest certified nvidia driver 376.33

- power settings to maximum performance

- nvidia experience deleted

It has gotten a bit better than in the video with the reinstall but it still jagges a lot.

This does only seem to happen when there is some action around, otherwise it runs smoothly. FPS stay at 60 all the time too.

[KEY = graphics]
    adapter = 0
    bloom_enable = 0
    desktop_center = 1
    detail_rt_res = 4096
    fps_counter = 1
    fps_limit = 60
    full_height = 1440
    full_width = 2560
    fullscreen = 1
    gamma = 1.00000
    grass_distance = 300.00000
    hdr_enable = 0
    land_tex_lods = 0
    mgpu_compatible = 0
    multisampling = 2
    or_enable = 0
    preset = 3
    ssao_enable = 0
    vsync = 1
    win_height = 1440
    win_width = 2560
[END]

Edited by 216th_Jordan
  • Upvote 1

I got the stuttering problem too, mostly in scenes with some action (like Berloga with 30 players). I don't have a FF stick so it is not connected to that.

I tried a reinstall which helped a little, but there generally seems to be some kind of handling problem. Setting Maximum performance in Nvidia and prerendered frames to 0 seems to have helped a little, but this is unconfirmed as I have not had much time to test and verify this.

This is how it looks like for me: 

I think your problem is other. Here, we have a FFB joystick and Trackir. When FFB effects are activated and are using trackir, movements are stuttered. When FFB effects are disable, stutters disappears.

possible, but there is a seamingly common effect that could just be triggered by different things. This thread comes closest to what I experience.

Edit: New test showed it is likely to be a driver issue in my case.

Edited by 216th_Jordan

Please guys look if you have any kind of sparse grid supersampling enabled, turn it off and look for the result. For me it was the cause for the stuttering .... 

I really hope this gets looked at, playing without FFB or TrackIR isn't really an option in my opinion.

The developers have been working quite hard on the main updates lately so I'm inclined to think it will be something they can hopefully address in the New Year. 

The DX11 update has been amazing for the framerate, but this one little thing is so frustrating.

Same problem here.    :unsure:

Sidewinder ffb2 

Trackir 5  (5.4.2.27545)

Geforce 980ti (whql 376.33)

i5-3570k

3 screens (nvidia surround)

5760x1080

I have 100fps but stuttering when force feedback is enabled in the game. Disabling ff makes image noticeable smoother again. Not perfect becouse g-sync is not working but much less stuttering free.

Edited by 307_Tomcat

Same problem here too. TrackIR and Sidewinder FFB2. I've Just come back to this game after a while and thought I'd check out the latest big update.

Well, it's unplayable for me. Although I get high frame rates the TrackIR movements are choppy and give me a headache.

It's a pity, I was looking forward to getting back into the Sim.

Original post removed as it was user error in my case

User slapped

Problem fixed.

Edited by 4./JG52_BOO

Second thread I've posted in about this very issue hoping devs will notice and fix.   Since aqcuiring a msffb2 my TrackIR stutters BAD in Il-2 BoS.   This isn't a video driver issue.. this is an Il-2 BoS issue.    Everything functions fine in other sims or other programs using trackIR + msffb2

Was not having these kinds of stutters prior to MSFFB2.. 

I add myself to the list of player who have costant studders using FFB and Opentrack after 2.06 patch. Before this Dx 11 patch i've never had any problem the game was fluid in every moment. Now after 2.06 patch I need disabling FFB in main screen game OR disable Opentrack Head tracker as to clear the studders in-game Offline/Online situation.  :unsure:

4670k Intel

NVidia 770 gtx 4 GB ram

Win 7 64 bit

Ok, just a head up: I've changed "CAMERA SMOOTING" setting in Menu game to 90" value and now game is quite smooth in rendering.

• Upvote 1

Ok, just a head up: I've changed "CAMERA SMOOTING" setting in Menu game to 90" value and now game is quite smooth in rendering.

AHA!

Yes, it's much better, thx!

Edited by ema33ig

THANKS VERY MUCH!!!!. It´s a very good solution (may be not ideal). There is a bit of backwardness in response, but much better smooth...

Someone sugested this "patch" but I didn´t understand and confuse it with Smoth Control in Trackir Software

Edited by Necro_v

Guys it happened to me yesterday too, shuttering movement while using trackir even without ffb. I started to backtrack my steps to see what have I changed, I remembered that earlier in the day I changed the speed/inertia settings in pancam for a video. When I reverted them to my earlier settings shuttering movement from trackir was gone!

So it's not only the SMOOTHING but also the SPEED factor that affects it, change it down to something like 50 or 40% and test.

I have 1% in SPEED for X/Y axis and 100% INERTIA. For zooming in/out ,since I use a button, 40 speed and 50 inertia, but the X / Y ones solved the shutter , oh and 100 smoothing.

Guys it happened to me yesterday too, shuttering movement while using trackir even without ffb. I started to backtrack my steps to see what have I changed, I remembered that earlier in the day I changed the speed/inertia settings in pancam for a video. When I reverted them to my earlier settings shuttering movement from trackir was gone!

So it's not only the SMOOTHING but also the SPEED factor that affects it, change it down to something like 50 or 40% and test.

I have 1% in SPEED for X/Y axis and 100% INERTIA. For zooming in/out ,since I use a button, 40 speed and 50 inertia, but the X / Y ones solved the shutter , oh and 100 smoothing.

Yep but FF issues are still there.

BTW 100 smooth is to slow for me i feel like retarded. Pan cam different speeds of inertia do not help to reduce this ill feeling.

A bit confused, I am talking about the guys that have stattering with TrackIr use, the pan cam settings should not make you trackIr slower. When you say the FF problem still exists you mean that the solution doesn't work?

Hi,

Whole month waiting for repair, and today's update of the 2.007 defect stuttering didn't fix. It is interesting right after the uploading of mission and fails to make the deflection of the joystick everything works smoothly then just slight movement and tearing of the image is there.

Unfortunately the same problem has a predecessor Rise of Flight https://riseofflight.com/forum/topic/50228-ffb-and-trackir-conflict/ that the creators forgot about it for two years has no support. Great simulator WWI they let the creators of the absolutely die. While a series of BOS/BOM came from the same engine but under DX9 was the smoothness of the BOS fine.

It is surprising that the developers when testing a new engine for DX11 at this favorite combination of Trackir plus MSFFB2 joystick stuttering has not been revealed.

No home repair or procedure is not available and it is purely on the developers so that a fatal problem has been removed thank you. Pet

Downloading he update and disappointed to see this bug is still not fixed.

The smoothing is no solution. It just add a huge delay so I turn my head and then nothing happens for a second and then it moves.  It is nothing to do with supersampling or any graphic settings. I get 60fps steady and stutter. The stutter goes away completely if I turn off FFB or track IR...

Ill try the camera but i don't expect it to fix the problem because the problem is Trackir and FFB combined 

Thanks for the suggestion.  

Game is still unplayable  for me. 

Edited by DirtyRotnFlieger

I will try to be more detailed just in case something was not understood and I really hope that it helps because the sim deserves it.

Normaly any kind of settings in camera panel should not affect trackir but for an unknown reason to me they do ( smoothing should not delay trackir input for example).

Test this please:

Unbind any keys or hats from camera movement for up/down left/right. Leave zoom in/out to whatever you have and the keys for moving pilots head position (the DEL-PGUP-PGDOWN default ones)

Set default camera view to Pancam,

Set Speed of 1st and 3d line down to 1% (if it works you ll change it latter to what you need)

Set Inertia of 2nd and 4th line to 100% (same as above for changing later)

Hope it helps, propablly you ve tried from reinstalations to praying to Budha so far, I hope you ll try one more thing

Here are a few things i need, to try to reproduce or see the problem (because i don't have it, or i don't see it).

PC description

01- Which Joystick are you using, with which driver ?

02- Post a screenshot of your graphic setting.

03- Do you use the cinematic option which blur the display when you move the head. Post a screenshot.

04- Which graphic card are you using (memory on the graphic card)?

05- Which drivers are you using ?

06- Are you using specific configuration in the graphic driver ?

07- Which operating system have you, and is it update ?.

08- Which trackIr are you using with which driver ?

09- Post a screeshot of your Track ir profil use for BoS.

10- Are you using specific configuration in the graphic driver ?

11- Are you using a track clip pro.

12- Are you using a clean install without any graphic effect such as EDFX, reshade, etc...

13- If you have a track with the last release, post it and tell me at what time you encounter stuttering, and all the detail to try to see it. To other who have problem, i invite you to test the track and confirm or deny the problem. The goal is to find the solution.

Here is my config and an exemple for the answer.

Men, keep in mind that i'm not a developper, i'm just a tester and i'll try to find find a solution, but i do no promise.

PC description

Core2quad Q9650 (3Ghz) stock, no overclocking.

Asus P5K

8 GO DDR2

Geforce 980 GTX

SSD 120 GO with windows and utilities (no games)

HDD 1 TO velocirator with games

HDD 2 TO : various data and backup

SSD 500 GO : Games where BoS is installed.

Seven Ultimate

01-

• Microsoft force feedback 2, no specific driver, using native windows 7 driver. Joystick is use for BoS
  • Hotas Warthog, drivers Target : 3.0.16.615. No target profil is used. All key are defined in game. Throttle is use for Bos
  • Saitek Throttle quadrant : drivers : 6.0.6.5
  • MFG crosswing V2 rudder : drivers : v2

02-

577c7bad205e55f697356641afa47e3acf7d7c21

03-2ba437ff12bbb82690049c200dcc201cbfc0f9e4

04- Geforce 980 GTX with 4GO

05- Driver : 378.49

06- Are you using specific configuration in the graphic driver  : No

07- Seven Ultimate with all the update.

08- Track IR5

09- Driver track IR : 5.2.000 (build 13551)

10- 0a53ed36bb249935358bd808a22b189e60d68af7

I use my profil made for RoF on Bos.

11- Are you using a track clip pro : Yes

12- Are you using a clean install without any graphic effect such as EDFX, reshade, etc... : Yes

13- Provide a track.

Edited by Habu

Here are a few things i need, to try to reproduce or see the problem (because i don't have it, or i don't see it).

PC description

01- Which Joystick are you using, with which driver ?

02- Post a screenshot of your graphic setting.

03- Do you use the cinematic option which blur the display when you move the head. Post a screenshot.

04- Which graphic card are you using (memory on the graphic card)?

05- Which drivers are you using ?

06- Are you using specific configuration in the graphic driver ?

07- Which operating system have you, and is it update ?.

08- Which trackIr are you using with which driver ?

09- Post a screeshot of your Track ir profil use for BoS.

10- Are you using specific configuration in the graphic driver ?

11- Are you using a track clip pro.

12- Are you using a clean install without any graphic effect such as EDFX, reshade, etc...

13- If you have a track with the last release, post it and tell me at what time you encounter stuttering, and all the detail to try to see it. To other who have problem, i invite you to test the track and confirm or deny the problem. The goal is to find the solution.

Here is my config and an exemple for the answer.

Men, keep in mind that i'm not a developper, i'm just a tester and i'll try to find find a solution, but i do no promise.

PC description

Core2quad Q9650 (3Ghz) stock, no overclocking.

Asus P5K

8 GO DDR2

Geforce 980 GTX

SSD 120 GO with windows and utilities (no games)

HDD 1 TO velocirator with games

HDD 2 TO : various data and backup

SSD 500 GO : Games where BoS is installed.

Seven Ultimate

01-

• Microsoft force feedback 2, no specific driver, using native windows 7 driver. Joystick is use for BoS
  • Hotas Warthog, drivers Target : 3.0.16.615. No target profil is used. All key are defined in game. Throttle is use for Bos
  • Saitek Throttle quadrant : drivers : 6.0.6.5
  • MFG crosswing V2 rudder : drivers : v2

02-

577c7bad205e55f697356641afa47e3acf7d7c21

03-2ba437ff12bbb82690049c200dcc201cbfc0f9e4

04- Geforce 980 GTX with 4GO

05- Driver : 378.49

06- Are you using specific configuration in the graphic driver  : No

07- Seven Ultimate with all the update.

08- Track IR5

09- Driver track IR : 5.2.000 (build 13551)

10- 0a53ed36bb249935358bd808a22b189e60d68af7

I use my profil made for RoF on Bos.

11- Are you using a track clip pro : Yes

12- Are you using a clean install without any graphic effect such as EDFX, reshade, etc... : Yes

13- Provide a track.

This thread is specific about the issue..with trackIR or alternatives + FORCE FEEDBACK STICK or more specifically the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2.  

Before I picked up the msffb2 there was no stutter.. after plugging in the msffb2 there was a stutter specific to Il-2 BoS.   Increasing the in game camera smoothing does seem to reduce the effect, it's still not as fluid a movement as we may be getting in other sims that utilize both FFB and TrackIR.     I regularly switch between DCS World, il-2 1946, and IL-2 BoS/BoM and soon enough BoK and only il-2 is effected by this.

Going into the camera options IN GAME (Not via trackIR software)  and increasing the camera smoothness helps a lot and in my case currently is at least playable.  I have various sticks I use without FFB for other sims, and my msffb2 replaced a Logitech Extreme 3d pro that I used for RoF, IL-2, and the DCS Ka-50.   And the DAY i switched sticks my IL-2 was responding very poorly to TrackIR.  

Best solution for people with trackir + a ffb stick at the moment is to adjust INGAME camera smoothness setting to 90% or above.  Not perfect but at least playable imo. 

Ok, sorry to disturb you, i though you want some investigation to find the problem. It was just a process to try to find what could be the problem. :sleep:

I can confirm this issue!

I have a MS Sidewinder FF2 stick and the stutter is horrible with track IR.

Switching OFF Force feedback in game solved the stutter but then the joystick is more or less unusable as its completely sloppy with no resistance at all.

-snip-

Thanks for taking the time to post Habu, it's appreciated.

I tried fiddling with some of the settings in your screenies, but unfortunately it didn't make too much difference really.

The one thing I did notice though was the stuttering effect was more pronounced in Centred Quick View than Pan Camera view when I did change it.

Increasing the smoothing in BoS seems to be the only thing that reduces the stutters slightly at the moment. But it doesn't eliminate them.

Turn off FFB and the whole problem just goes away!

I just wish someone from the development team would at least pop in here and acknowledge they're aware we're having an issue with this combination.

I know they have a lot to do, but at the moment I can't help but feel this issue is just being completely ignored.

Cheers.

OK i got a FFB2 and did some tests. I also suffer from the stuttering, but it's highly affected by the combination of TrackIR and ingame settings.

1. The noise filter of the ingame Joystick setting has a huge effect on TrackIR stuttering. I've no idea why that is and i'll make a bug report on the beta forums about this. Make sure to keep the joystick noise filter at 0 at all times..

2. Set "Smooth" setting in TrackIR to 1, not any higher.

3. Then try to use the highest possible speed setting in TrackIR and combine this with the ingame "Smoothness" setting. The higher the smoothness setting, the longer the delay when turning the head, the higher the speed setting, the faster the input. But you'll have to experiment a bit to get a good result and get the sweet spot between delay, sensitivity and choppiness. You should set both as high as possible for you.

I think the ingame settings are conflicting with the TrackIR settings here and that's causing the issue. I'll also mention it on the beta forums.

Edited by Matt
  • Upvote 1

This problem does not concern only the Trackir device but the same stuttering is on Opentrack, Freetrack and FaceTrackNoIR then it is certain that this is a global mistake on the side of the BOS but unfortunately Rise of Flight and it all probably started and failed to remove at all. The original Bos under DX9 worked fine without stuttering on the old engine.

You guys are not confirming whether or not the stuttering goes away if you turn off TrackIR, but have FFB on, but look with the mouse. We have to be able to replicate this problem for us to solve it.

Jason

It does not go away when you turn off TrackIR and leave FFB on, not even when you shut TrackIR down in the task manager and then control the view with the mouse. 

As long as TrackIR was running when you started the game and as long as FFB is activated the stuttering appears, no matter how you control the view.

• Upvote 2

It does not go away when you turn off TrackIR and leave FFB on, not even when you shut TrackIR down in the task manager and then control the view with the mouse. 

As long as TrackIR was running when you started the game and as long as FFB is activated the stuttering appears, no matter how you control the view.

Spot on!

BTW Thanks for dropping by Jason. I really do appreciate it.

You guys are not confirming whether or not the stuttering goes away if you turn off TrackIR, but have FFB on, but look with the mouse. We have to be able to replicate this problem for us to solve it.

Jason

Hi,

The defect of stuttering in the view using the mouse and ffb he does not show. This occurs when full 6 DOF point of view. Only a test with Trackir or Opentrack/Freetrack device otherwise impossible to simulate.

Thank you very much for your support. Pet