Jason_Williams

Discussion of Battle of Kuban Pre-Order

Jeeze. You guys need to chill out. This isnt Star Citizen (which will crash and burn). At least the devs have a great game up and running. The need for perfection is pretty much SC's bane. Jason and the guys will straighten out the curls sooner or later, and BoK really is a huge leap. Have a great weekend guys.

I can not wait to start testing out the bombing of the ships I hope to see some torps too, load outs on that new IL-2 M38F

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff

I bought in again, and I'm frustrated with myself for doing it.

The lack of a campaign mode means I have barely played the game since BOM came out of beta.but here I am back again for the P-39.

The lack of a campaign mode means I have barely played the game since BOM came out of beta.but here I am back again for the P-39.

Thanks for your contribution - every bit counts to creating the simulator that we all envision.

Thanks for your contribution - every bit counts to creating the simulator that we all envision.

That is my hope.  I love the simulation aspect, but I get no sense of immersion - it doesn't matter if I lose all my wingmen on a hop and come back with an airplane that is a write off.  It feels like just a bunch of disconnected quick missions with no continuity.

For all of that, I believe it is the best WW2 aerial combat flight sim out there.  I - and this may be an unpopular comment - appreciate that it isn't a clickable cockpit sim.  I feel like my field of view on my monitor is narrower than my FOV in reality, and that a glance down at the instrument panel takes a long time in a sim compared to in reality.  I just wish there was some immersion.

They will develop a career campaign like ROF but better, so you might hit your mark by contributing 

Single player is useless with the current AI.

Tried PWCG , tried to liked it, its a great program, but all AI just attack my plane.

Unrealistic, not fun.

You're certainly not alone in that regard.

• Upvote 1

Single player is useless with the current AI.

Tried PWCG , tried to liked it, its a great program, but all AI just attack my plane.

Unrealistic, not fun.

Yes i know that problem too.

I just hope that we get some desperately needed AI improvments with the new campaigns they build now.

Go on then, purchased.

Good on ya, custard.

They will develop a career campaign like ROF but better, so you might hit your mark by contributing

Thank you for that! I would look forward to a chance to knock out an airfield and hav it stay knocked out for a day or so!

I find I keep thinking hopefully about Falcon, with its dynamic, persistent campaigns.

I did that for ROF, but last I had heard it had not been applied to BOM/BOS - thank you for the tip!

I find I keep thinking hopefully about Falcon, with its dynamic, persistent campaigns.

You contribution will help toward realizing a decent campaign mode - finally.

However don't hold your breath for a Falcon 4.0 style dynamic campaign - that's not what's coming.

Everyone remembers that campaign fondly, but it's about the only thing that worked in that sim.

You contribution will help toward realizing a decent campaign mode - finally.

However don't hold your breath for a Falcon 4.0 style dynamic campaign - that's not what's coming.

Everyone remembers that campaign fondly, but it's about the only thing that worked in that sim.

I have no idea how accurate the figure is but I have read that it cost $11M to develop and led to the bankruptcy/closure of the company

Much the same that many people cite CLoD as an example of what scope a flight Sim should include, unless a project is a success and brings a reasonable return on investment, except for a hypothetical what if, one cannot really compare those examples to any other project.

This just a generalization and overall comment not aimed at anyone in particular,

hoping that the new campaign/career format and AI improvements will be significant

Cheers Dakpilot

CloD's 'scope' was its downfall. Luthier never seemed to be able to refuse any conceivable option. Their whole approach became crazily over-extended.

For a historical recreation of the Battle of Britain there was no need for a Short Sunderland, an Me108 (especially a non-flyable one!?!) or the vast bulk of the ground vehicles (they could have been added in a second installment either in a Battle of France or Western Desert scenario). On the other hand a few more ships would have been useful.

Other features such as the ability to dress your pilot figure were nice ideas in theory but completely non-essential. Again, much more sensible to have postponed its inclusion to the second or third instalment. And any time I tried using this feature in CloD it crashed my game.

And don't even mention the CloD Spitfire girl. ;)

It's instructive to see the different approach taken by this development team. No over-promising. No deviation from a realistic schedule. Expectations managed and feet kept firmly on ground (no pun intended...)

I remember discussions on the CloD forum pre-release when people, eagerly anticipating the 'living, breathing world' that Oleg or Luthier had mentioned once in an interview somewhere, were debating whether when they were shot down in their Spitfire over England, they would be able to flag down a passing car and get a lift back to their airbase for the next mission, or possibly walk to the nearest train station and get a train on the authentically recreated 1940s timetabled services which would be running......

It all sounds crazy now, but not once in the forum did Luthier ever step in to manage expectations or to say that certain people (hi Zapatista if you're still around... :P ) were getting into the realms of fantasy and should dial their expectations back a notch or two.

That whole experience is why I maybe react a little harshly to people suggesting such things as inclusion of paratroopers who can act intelligently on the ground and take objectives, or deep simulation of supply/strategic functions etc.

Edited by kendo
  • Upvote 3

CloD's 'scope' was its downfall. Luthier never seemed to be able to refuse any conceivable option. Their whole approach became crazily over-extended.

For a historical recreation of the Battle of Britain there was no need for a Short Sunderland, an Me108 (especially a non-flyable one!?!) or the vast bulk of the ground vehicles (they could have been added in a second installment either in a Battle of France or Western Desert scenario). On the other hand a few more ships would have been useful.

Other features such as the ability to dress your pilot figure were nice ideas in theory but completely non-essential. Again, much more sensible to have postponed its inclusion to the second or third instalment. And any time I tried using this feature in CloD it crashed my game.

And don't even mention Spit-girl.

It's instructive to see the different approach taken by this development team. No over-promising. No deviation from a realistic schedule. Expectations managed and feet kept firmly on ground (no pun intended...)

I remember discussions on the CloD forum pre-release when people, eagerly anticipating the 'living, breathing world' that Oleg or Luthier had mentioned once in an interview somewhere, were debating whether when they were shot down in their Spitfire over England, they would be able to flag down a passing car and get a lift back to their airbase for the next mission, or possibly walk to the nearest train station and get a train on the authentically recreated 1940s timetabled services which would be running......

It all sounds crazy now, but not once in the forum did Luthier ever step in to manage expectations or to say that certain people (hi Zapatista if you're still around... :P ) were getting into the realms of fantasy and should dial their expectations back a notch or two.

That whole experience is why I maybe react a little harshly to people suggesting such things as inclusion of paratroopers who can act intelligently on the ground and take objectives, or deep simulation of supply/strategic functions etc.

Absolutely. Let's have the devs focus on the aircraft ai rather than the paratroopers ai. This is, first and foremost, a combat flight simulator. While a "dynamic" environment would be great let's not forget there are flight sim fundamentals that need to be addressed first. I believe Jason knows this. The feature creep of DCS is destroying that particular platform, the endless delays are a big contrast to the almost monthly updates that are happening with BoX. Keep to your vision Jason and crew.
  • Upvote 1

PROTIP: If you don't happen to know what this is referring to, don't make the mistake of googling 'Spit-girl' like I did.

'Cliffs of Dover Spit-girl' returned much more...relevant results.

:lol: I was going to say about Googling it in the post above, but edited it out...yeah, caution required... ;)

went back and edited it just to be safe....

Edited by kendo
  • Upvote 1

Clod spit-girl is a really cool feature! I just googled it.

Can we pls have bf109irl for BOS? Rescue mission would be perfect.

post-107477-0-66824200-1479681520_thumb.png

I have no idea how accurate the figure is but I have read that it cost $11M to develop and led to the bankruptcy/closure of the company

Much the same that many people cite CLoD as an example of what scope a flight Sim should include, unless a project is a success and brings a reasonable return on investment, except for a hypothetical what if, one cannot really compare those examples to any other project.

This just a generalization and overall comment not aimed at anyone in particular,

hoping that the new campaign/career format and AI improvements will be significant

Cheers Dakpilot

Mission Packs were all the rage back in the IL2 1946 days. Im hoping with coop released in Kuban we see a bevy of multiplayer coop mission packs made by the community. I think that's where the real excitement is. I hope they focus on pumping out new planes, ai sure, and maps for us to buy and not focus at all on scripted campaigns etc. Although that would be sweet, Id rather be pre purchasing Midway - shaking with excitement for those steps.  Let the community make campaigns. Of course if you're able to do both, great. my 2c

Mission Packs were all the rage back in the IL2 1946 days. Im hoping with coop released in Kuban we see a bevy of multiplayer coop mission packs made by the community. I think that's where the real excitement is. I hope they focus on pumping out new planes, ai sure, and maps for us to buy and not focus at all on scripted campaigns etc. Although that would be sweet, Id rather be pre purchasing Midway - shaking with excitement for those steps.  Let the community make campaigns. Of course if you're able to do both, great. my 2c

It will be scripted Campaigns. We're developing a cool system for that. Users will be able to make missions and add media to do briefings etc. And if everyone continues to support us, in time we can add friendly COOPs to the Career system. We have to lay the ground work for all this though and that takes time.

Jason

• Upvote 7

Let the community make campaigns.

I like to have the career mode they announced. Because for me the FPS dogfight scenario we see in public servers is not a option. I would appreciate if my fellow customers of this brand stopped lobbying for it to disappear 

I have supported the team so far  and I hope that the career mode will arrive quickly.

On the other hand I hope that you will continue to develop the game on the eastern front ( Koursk, Leningrad) or in europe (countryside of poland, countryside of france, )

Is the development of games in the Pacific after BOK is sure ?  

After I understand very well that the team is heading towards which will sell the most. But I was a little disappointed by the planes of Bok (has little thing the same planes that Bos and Bom and many American plane  whereas in reality they had to be little represent ) 

I would have liked to see real new aircraft such as the Dornier or Bf 109G6 with  a 30mm gunAnd large hood bumps and for Russian the Sukhoi Su2, The Tupolev SB2 and Tupolev TB3 or the Polikarpov I15 ( Tchaika ) . 

Sorry for my English . 

I have supported the team so far  and I hope that the career mode will arrive quickly.
On the other hand I hope that you will continue to develop the game on the eastern front ( Koursk, Leningrad) or in europe (countryside of poland, countryside of france, )
Is the development of games in the Pacific after BOK is sure ?  

After I understand very well that the team is heading towards which will sell the most. But I was a little disappointed by the planes of Bok (has little thing the same planes that Bos and Bom and many American plane  whereas in reality they had to be little represent ) 
I would have liked to see real new aircraft such as the Dornier or Bf 109G6 with  a 30mm gunAnd large hood bumps and for Russian the Sukhoi Su2, The Tupolev SB2 and Tupolev TB3 or the Polikarpov I15 ( Tchaika ) . 

Sorry for my English . 

Jason Williams has confirmed that Battle of Midway is extremely likely to be the next project after Battle of Kuban. Kuban is a good place for the team to develop the necessary ship/sea/torpedo technologies that will be front and center in a Pacific battle. Okinawa was also identified as a possible battle after that although I wouldn't necessarily take that as being official.

The aircraft set for the Kuban is actually very well put together. The Bf109G-6 came late in that battle (September I believe was the first squadron deployment not March/April at the start of the Kuban battle). The P-39 and A-20 were integral lend lease aircraft and used in significant numbers in the Kuban battle. In other fronts they were less used but at Kuban they were extremely important. The 30mm armed Bf109s were first deployed in the West in autumn of 1943 to counter the bomber threat there. They showed up in the East much later.

All of the other Russian types you listed sound great if they fit into a historical battle.

I pre-ordered BOK.

It will be great to fly on P-39 ! 

The map with mountain and sea will be interesting for sure !

I personally hoped for the DO 17 at some point in this brand. I can see that train have left the station already. Midway is a good idea for many reasons. Looking forward to fly Kate , Devastator and Dauntless.

For Kuban I was amazed they will make the G4 not the G6 as said above, this has provoked some, for me I thought it would be ok. After all they implemented the JU 87 G1 and IL 2 with 37 mm cannon to stalingrad, those did not operate there

I bought the Kuban preorder but it does not appear in my game.

The key is activated on IL2 site.

Do I have to do some trickery with Steam (my BoS is Steam version).

I bought the Kuban preorder but it does not appear in my game.

The key is activated on IL2 site.

Do I have to do some trickery with Steam (my BoS is Steam version).

you do know what PRE-order means, right?

you do know what PRE-order means, right?

Yeah but I'm usually so late in the game that something is available :-D I realized only after posting that maybe this time I was one of the early birds who caught nothing yet.

Yeah but I'm usually so late in the game that something is available :-D I realized only after posting that maybe this time I was one of the early birds who caught nothing yet.

4 to 8 weeks, pretty sure :)

Waiting for this one, in the original IL-2 my first online IL-2 kill was on kuban map. 80 deg dive and gunpods, short burst hit the wing root and cut the wing clean off.

Hi, so I have Bos/Bom which I purchased on Steam.

I am thinking of pre-ordering BoK to support the team, but how exactly does that work. I understand I can get a Steam key once the game is released, but what happens during the early access period, i.e. are the BoK planes available right away in Steam or is it a separate install?

If it is a separate install, do I still have access to the Bos/Bom maps? since presumably the Bok map will not be available until later.

Edited by Sgt_Joch

Hi, so I have Bos/Bom which I purchased on Steam.

I am thinking of pre-ordering BoK to support the team, but how exactly does that work. I understand I can get a Steam key once the game is released, but what happens during the early access period, i.e. are the BoK planes available right away in Steam or is it a separate install?

If it is a separate install, do I still have access to the Bos/Bom maps? since presumably the Bok map will not be available until later.

It is all running from the same client, so if you already have everything on steam. Buy it on the site and it is linked to your il2 account, plus the developers get like 30% more of the funds as steam doesn't take a cut:)

thanks.

done, nice gold bar.  :salute:

Edited by Sgt_Joch
  • Upvote 2

Oh man, BOS is such an awesome and beautiful sim (not being a fan boy...just stating the obvious). The hardest thing I've found is trying to convince my online mates to leave CLoD and join BOS but most of them just don't like the eastern theatre. Fair enough but man are they so missing out. 

• Upvote 1

I really want to pre-order, but I don't even have BoM yet and the wife is being a pain in the arse about getting BoM even with it on sale. As much I would like to continue support with BoM premium, she's being a pain even about the standard edition (I have no need for the P-40 and MC.202). We still have 4 little boys to buy Christmas gifts for, so I get her point! I guess it's going to have to wait.  :( 

It sucks that wives are always right....(or least most times anyway) :lol::P 

• Upvote 3

I really want to pre-order, but I don't even have BoM yet and the wife is being a pain in the arse about getting BoM even with it on sale. As much I would like to continue support with BoM premium, she's being a pain even about the standard edition (I have no need for the P-40 and MC.202). We still have 4 little boys to buy Christmas gifts for, so I get her point! I guess it's going to have to wait. :(

It sucks that wives are always right....(or least most times anyway) :lol::P

I started a giveaway thread in the General discussion section. Put your name in for a chance to win BOM.

Also, the trick is to get your kids to like sims, so the gifts are technically for them XD.

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Upvote 2

Or volunteer to do the grocery shopping. Get cash back at the till and load it onto a prepaid card.

• Upvote 1