=LG=Kathon

Tactical Air War

2 minutes ago, Roger_Meatball said:

Server admins, you HAVE to bring back technochat. 

[...]

This design decision is not better simulating the piloting experience - it is only better simulating the "use a keyboard and whatever hardware you own to manage an imperfect set of user inputs from your desk chair" experience.

I could not agree more. Some of the Soviet planes just have no indicators of their state. It's one thing if we have to keep an eye on our manifold pressure and oil temp using the clear gauges in front of us. It's quite another to remember what the default state of a system is and memorize how many times we need to press vs. have pressed a given button to do something like set bomb  release and timing buttons on our keyboards. 

Having technochat doesn't make the game easier or give a pilot an advantage. Ensuring my engine won't explode or that I can actually drop bombs are minimum requirements to flight in this game. One still has to be a competent pilot to not get clobbered on this server, even with all the "advantages" of technochat. 

This choice just makes the game a grueling un-engaging mess.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

So I am a tad confused? The F-2 did see battle in the opening of Operation Barbarossa right?:scratch_one-s_head:

24 minutes ago, Roger_Meatball said:

Server admins, you HAVE to bring back technochat. IL-2 is not built to be fully controllable without it. There are so many systems that have no cockpit indication of their status: radiators, weapons, trim and flaps wheels. Even with head tracking to quickly look around the cockpit, there are some systems that aren't viewable within standard head-tracking angles: things on the floor, down by elbows, etc. There are even options like "drop multiple bombs" that HAVE NO STATUS indication other than technochat - some planes have multiple bomb levers that a pilot either pulls separately or simultaneously, and the only way to know for certain what will happen when you press "release" is to never use those buttons at all. German planes might be automated enough to get away without technochat, but Soviet planes have too many interfaces that were left to pilot feel and training. This design decision is not better simulating the piloting experience - it is only better simulating the "use a keyboard and whatever hardware you own to manage an imperfect set of user inputs from your desk chair" experience.

17 minutes ago, richarrrd said:

I could not agree more. Some of the Soviet planes just have no indicators of their state. It's one thing if we have to keep an eye on our manifold pressure and oil temp using the clear gauges in front of us. It's quite another to remember what the default state of a system is and memorize how many times we need to press vs. have pressed a given button to do something like set bomb  release and timing buttons on our keyboards. 

Having technochat doesn't make the game easier or give a pilot an advantage. Ensuring my engine won't explode or that I can actually drop bombs are minimum requirements to flight in this game. One still has to be a competent pilot to not get clobbered on this server, even with all the "advantages" of technochat. 

This choice just makes the game a grueling un-engaging mess.

https://warthunder.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

Now better fly a lot before computer min maxer people get what they want, minute accurate data!

There is no issues to talk about with Polikarpov I-16.

- You can count seconds when lower landing flaps, though there is landing flap meter I have never used.

- Keep mixture at 100%, but if you go very high you can count two second button press to decrease it.

- Use throttle with your gut feelings and instruments.

- Keep oil radiator open and inlet cowl shutter control at 1/3 open, decrease prop rpm by 1 second button press from max and have fun without having to worry about engine.

- If you need max performance shut things down, maybe increase prop RPM, and check your instruments for temps. Let things cool down asap when you can full open, so that you are quick prepared for next max performance requirement.

These I figured out after like 1 hour of VR flying, and could get closure on CPU F2 bf 109. Perfecting them may and will give different values, but with those values you can do combat flying. No technochat needed. Irl pilots did not have tecnochat either but used muscle memory to push levers and listened and felt the engine.

Technochat bad. Better know your machine and really have to use instruments. You are supposed to manage your engine and systems, not adjust them with 1mm minute detail accuracy, which would had been IRL impossible also because planes a bit individuals and not 100% blind carbon copies.

We have it more easy than IRL pilots even without technochat. Why make it even more easy?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, messsucher said:

We have it more easy than IRL pilots even without technochat. Why make it even more easy?

No, real pilots can feel the position of the levers and estimate how much they open/close them without having to look at them. Having to look at operating physical controls or counting seconds while doing so is clunky as hell and a clear case of harder is not more realistic.

This could all have been solved with a small unintrusive gui next to the G meter load similar to what clod has, without giving away precise percentages. Sadly when I suggested this it wasn't implemented.

unknown.png

There are even planes that don't have any visual cues of certain settings given they are not animated/modelled in the cockpit, or the crew members positions being too restrictive without being able to crawl around the cockpits.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

No, real pilots can feel the position of the levers and estimate how much they open/close them without having to look at them. Having to look at operating physical controls or counting seconds while doing so is clunky as hell and a clear case of harder is not more realistic.

This could all have been solved with a small unintrusive gui next to the G meter load similar to what clod has, without giving away precise percentages. Sadly when I suggested this it wasn't implemented.

unknown.png

There are even planes that don't have any visual cues of certain settings given they are not animated/modelled in the cockpit, or the crew members positions being too restrictive without being able to crawl around the cockpits.

Yeah, when cruising etc. they could feel. But I doubt they could feel everything very good in the heat of the battle, they just did the best they could, and some pilots were better in doing the best they could. Anyway, that's why I want to have levers myself, and maybe some day will get. If you don't have levers and want to have say similar control, then you maybe should get levers like you get joystick or pedals.

The picture you posted is from CloD? It had some levers always visible? It irritated the heck of me. I want to replace those levers with real levers or turning knobs, whichever work better.

• Upvote 2

Yes they are always on afaik (dunno if the user can turn them off) You can also turn them into percentages if you wish. I personally like them given they do their job nicely and are quite small

unknown.png

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

Yes they are always on afaik. You can also turn them into percentages if you wish. I personally like them given they do their job nicely and are quite small

unknown.png

Yeah, I like them a lot more than percentages. But still happy that now have to figure levers or turn knobs to replace them, and have to use the tactile feeling IRL pilots had.

1 hour ago, messsucher said:

You can count seconds when lower landing flaps, though there is landing flap meter I have never used.

Counting seconds is absolutely absurd. And when we apply more flaps farther into the engagement? And when we are unwinding flaps, ought we watch the dial as we crank it backwards? With our eyes? To know if we hit the stops or get to 10%? Is this piloting? 

To the collection of players on here who preach "realism" when the limitations they suggest are just the handicaps inherent to restricting interface between player and simulated airplane to visual gauges on a 2D computer screen, you are only crippling the success of your servers and of this video game. You are misunderstanding the difference between piloting an aircraft and knowing the limitations of an aircraft with replicating that aircraft through a 1:1 visual model.

Technochat exists to bridge the gap between mechanical information the developers can communicate visually and the information a pilot would otherwise interpret through physical feel, out subtlety of sounds/smells/any other sensation. 

Technochat acknowledges that our favorite sim is inherently imperfect in its ability to translate the piloting experience to a computer monitor. Treating it like "baby mode" is inherently wrong, and practically will ensure your server is always less full than it could be. 

33 minutes ago, messsucher said:

Yeah, when cruising etc. they could feel. But I doubt they could feel everything very good in the heat of the battle, 

What do you mean "you doubt"? Do you want me to pull out some pilot memoirs? Do you need me to quote lines from pilots who "knew their machines" about how subtleties of sound and feel and smell played into their awareness of engine performance?

When you talk about learning a machine, pilots learned them with their eyes, hands, feet, ears, butt, nose. We pretty much only have eyes with a tiny bit of ears. The devs know that so they add bits like technochat to make up for the deficiencies. Knowing if your radiator is at 1/3 open by lever feel and by a number on a screen saying 33% are the same thing. Neither tells you want the effect on the airplane is at that setting - it just informs you the current state of the radiator. 

Edited by Roger_Meatball
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Roger_Meatball said:

Counting seconds is absolutely absurd. And when we apply more flaps fatter into the engagement? And when we are unwinding flaps, ought we watch the dial as we crank it backwards? With out eyes? To know if we hit the stops or get to 10%? Is this piloting? 

To the collection of players on here who preach "realism" when the limitations they suggest are just the handicaps inherent to restricting interface between player and simulated airplane to visual gauges on a 2D computer screen, you are only crippling the success of your servers and of this video game. You are misunderstanding the difference between piloting an aircraft and knowing the limitations of an aircraft with replicating that aircraft through a 1:1 visual model.

Technochat exists to bridge the gap between mechanical information the developers can communicate visually and the information a pilot would otherwise interpret through physical feel, out subtlety of sounds/smells/any other sensation. 

Technochat acknowledges that our favorite sim is inherently imperfect in its ability to translate the piloting experience to a computer monitor. Treating it like "baby mode" is inherently wrong, and practically will ensure your server is always less full than it could be. 

Counting seconds is fine. Pilots counted turns of the wheel. The turn rate is not random, so you can count seconds and get the same results as pilots got. I don't watch flap meters, but will learn to watch them just to confirm the position when needed in I-16. In Bf 109 I watch the wing and flaps on it, and some wings even have markers for flap degree.

I would prefer to get a lever mapped for flaps, but these things I investigate slowly as I find and get gear. Maybe even get a turning wheel for flaps, like some aircraft have. They never had technochat and computers. That came much later in jets. So I count seconds etc. until I get turning knobs, rotating wheels, and levers, the same things what pilots had.

All these things make the game more hard, yes, more like a simulator, less like an arcade game, and hence requiring more skill. You can never get over of that fact. You can win a simulator pilot in arcade game, but can you win a simulator pilot in simulator? That's the question. That is the question about piloting.

By the way in DCS I have heard much more systems are simulated than in IL-2. And have watched dueling tournament in Internet using DCS simulator. Some people like simulator approach, some don't, it is a matter of preferences. But if arcade is so good and so many like it, then why there is no arcade TAW server?

Today the server was 84/84 full. I could not login to play.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, messsucher said:

Counting seconds is fine. All these things make the game more hard, yes, more like a simulator, less like an arcade game, and hence requiring more skill.

I counted to 5 while playing a WW2 Simulator today.  I'm finally skilled.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Donik said:

I counted to 5 while playing a WW2 Simulator today.  I'm finally skilled.

Alright. You want to begin to be childish. Have fun then. I take my leave, I have nothing to discuss with you.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

You said it, not me.  I'm just now realizing my full potential thanks to you.

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, messsucher said:

All these things make the game more hard, yes, more like a simulator, less like an arcade game, and hence requiring more skill. 

No, you are mistaking visual representation of an airplane for "simulation". You are misunderstanding the core of the goal of this video game. You mentioned cranks of a wheel - this is a physically intuitive sensation, as is moving a lever. If we want to simulate a piloting experience we would simulate the ability to assess "I opened the radiator half-way." A real pilot has physical feedback in the sensation of cranking or shifting levers. We, as virtual pilots do not have those. We hold a key down, and count for seconds; there is NO feedback here. The lack of feedback means we are actually NOT simulating the thing "opening radiator half-way". We are moving farther from "simulation" with this design decision. 

1 hour ago, messsucher said:

Yeah, I like them a lot more than percentages. But still happy that now have to figure levers or turn knobs to replace them, and have to use the tactile feeling IRL pilots had.

omg guys, its the same diskussion which is nobody care about. just like exploiting killing random AA to get some better stats / winning whole campaing on TAW

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Roger_Meatball said:

No, you are mistaking visual representation of an airplane for "simulation". You are misunderstanding the core of the goal of this video game. You mentioned cranks of a wheel - this is a physically intuitive sensation, as is moving a lever. If we want to simulate a piloting experience we would simulate the ability to assess "I opened the radiator half-way." A real pilot has physical feedback in the sensation of cranking or shifting levers. We, as virtual pilots do not have those. We hold a key down, and count for seconds; there is NO feedback here. The lack of feedback means we are actually NOT simulating the thing "opening radiator half-way". We are moving farther from "simulation" with this design decision. 

I never said counting seconds is a right way. It is not. It is a workaround. That is the reason why I want to get levers, cranks, turning knobs, and what not, and explore how they can be mapped to different functions in game. Then I get the tactile feel, like the real pilots had.

I play this game in VR, and can't tolerate any artificial huds anymore, so I rather count those seconds as for now, it is all I can do, and it works in a way that I can still play the game. It is not optimal, it is not perfect, it is bad, but I like it much more than seeing those artificial huds and writings.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SV7_Vase said:

yeah, the whole red faction will give you a like for that....

every one try to support attaks of tanks to cap enemy fields and guy like you (and you are not alone) just doing fighting for stats. in 3am european cetral time, we had 3 v 3. and there was no need for destroying random AA to hide your attaks. 

so like all of your stats, it was only just for pushing E69 stats and not for pushing RED side to victory. 

but maybe im wrong and i have to reflect my own opinion for real goal of TAW missions 

BTW, stay there on this tactics and i will get my every day easy kill like yesterday ;)

Every day I do attacks with my squad and when I'm alone, because I'm a smarter guy than you, I'm only going to attack borders to Increase my survival rate while lowering the level of enemy tanks and vehicles because, (I repeat, I don't want to die !!! I am alone and I have no companions because it is very late in my country but you continue with this ridiculous topic for days of why a player attack different targets than you want in a game, you have nothing else to do but worry about what player X attacks in a game? Is this your job or mine? How old are you??? Why are you so worried about what I do? Am I breaking any TAW rules on the server? I remind you that you do a lot of damage to the enemy by destroying all enemy vehicles, whether they are a live target or your production line in a warehouse. Well, as long as that's the case, don't keep bothering me for the forum or the game chat you've been to. harassing me All day trying to offend me and grow because, this whole topic, when you write it, it sounds much more ridiculous than it is I'm not doing anything that can't be done and what you think about what I do, I don't give a shit as long as it's legal because you ,you are nobody...

Edited by E69_Hans_Luchov
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, SV7_Vase said:

omg guys, its the same diskussion which is nobody care about. just like exploiting killing random AA to get some better stats / winning whole campaing on TAW

What nonsense you are talking?

12 minutes ago, messsucher said:

I never said counting seconds is a right way... but I like it much more than seeing those artificial huds and writings.

You did say that, though. You suggested counting seconds makes it more of a simulation, and that it is better than having a HUD indication of system state. If you prefer not to have any HUD indicators of any sort you can disable them in your personal settings - there is a checkbox for you. The rest of us are not better simulating piloting by removing our awareness of subsystems states.

13 minutes ago, Roger_Meatball said:

You did say that, though. You suggested counting seconds makes it more of a simulation, and that it is better than having a HUD indication of system state. If you prefer not to have any HUD indicators of any sort you can disable them in your personal settings - there is a checkbox for you. The rest of us are not better simulating piloting by removing our awareness of subsystems states.

Counting seconds is more of a simulation than artificial huds which came in jets, and pilots counted turns of cranks, so they did do counting. It does not matter much do you count turns of cranks or do you count seconds, you do counting in either case, counting turns of a crank is just more accurate unless you are a metronome. For example I think Hurricane pilots counted turns of flap crank before takeoff so that the flaps would be in the correct position. If you could not see the flaps and there was no indicator for them but just a crank, then there is no other way than to count turns of the crank.

So what is the problem in counting? I have none regarding flaps, regarding prop pitch, trimming, and mixtures I do have problems, which I experiment to solve with knobs, cranks, and levers and whatever to get rid of counting or to be able to set the trims into a position I want without pressing a single stupid button.

Edit: Why I should give you advantage to have huds? Just because you like them? Do you want auto aim too? If you like it?

Edited by messsucher
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, messsucher said:

Edit: Why I should give you advantage to have huds? Just because you like them? Do you want auto aim too? If you like it?

I think we are getting to the core of it, now. 

49 minutes ago, SV7_Vase said:

This is your attitude and your behavior and education, criticize things that only annoy you because you think you are right, you have a very arrogant attitude, learn to respect the opinion of others and not criticize what you do not like as if you had the absolute reason for things

48 minutes ago, messsucher said:

What nonsense you are talking?

Hahahahaah 🤣

Edited by E69_Hans_Luchov

It seems that realism is the goal here, so please consider the following proposal for TAW changes:

• Remove Text Chat entirely: Real pilots could not type to one another, nor talk to the other side.
  • No clickable or scrollwheel-to-zoom maps. Real pilots had physical charts and an analog flight computer on a good day. Printed charts only from now on.
  • No cockpit view zooming in and out. Real people cannot zoom in and out with their eyes, so we shouldn't be able to either.
  • You can no longer choose your airbase and airplanes. You are assigned a regiment when you register, and must always fly your randomly assigned planes. If your base blows up or your assigned planes are unavailable, you cannot play.
  • No respawn. Ever. You get exactly one life per instance. Once you're dead, you're dead. See you next season.

If any of you so-called serious sim pilots care at all about "realism", you will not balk for a second at these changes. If you can't hack it, just play ace combat already.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

IT was community request to have option for turning off technochat. Yet only our server Has use this option. Why others dont? Because others are worried about decreasing population on their servers. We want to have the most hardcore server possible and we want people that had same attitude "the harder the better" we are aware that some people will leave because of IT but it make the competition even stronger and closer to reality. Many guys from our squadron was sceptic to this change but after little training they found its much more imersive when you are in constant battle between focusing on SA and focusing on all your gauges sound of engine to maximize the performance of your plane. I strongly recommend all to treat IT like another challange and step to be a better pilot. Thank you :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 5

5 hours ago, messsucher said:

I play this game in VR....

Quick question for you: to see the technochat in VR do you need to be looking straight ahead, or will you see it even if the message comes up while you're checking your six for example?

5 hours ago, messsucher said:

So what is the problem in counting? I have none regarding flaps, regarding prop pitch, trimming, and mixtures I do have problems, which I experiment to solve with knobs, cranks, and levers and whatever to get rid of counting or to be able to set the trims into a position I want without pressing a single stupid button.

I understand you don't have problems when flying whole 8 minutes on TAW.

image.thumb.png.57cad12c551061c89f91e008f52ae816.png

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

My flight time is a little longer, but I fully support him. There are a lot of servers where technochat is enabled. Let there be at least one where it is disabled

• Upvote 4

I play on VR and I think playing without technochat is viable, having flown i16 and pe2, what I don't like is the unbalance between teams. In most of the fights I entered we were way less people. If we would want to be realistic red side would have to be 50% more planes minimum 😁

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

Imagine that. I am newb to this game and still flying straight away full real, without crying but happily. By the way I have 32.7 hours in this game according to Steam. Most of that is without technochat. Technochat I have used lately because of I-16 so that I could check the lever movements in relation to percentage values and how much time is needed to make some adjustment.

No technochat is really not a problem at all. Technochat will not help me a bit when I meet enemy fighters online.

Edit: By the way thought better of you than resorting to insults.

2 hours ago, WokeUpDead said:

Quick question for you: to see the technochat in VR do you need to be looking straight ahead, or will you see it even if the message comes up while you're checking your six for example?

You need to watch about straight ahead.

Edited by messsucher

13 minutes ago, messsucher said:

By the way I have 32.7 hours in this game according to Steam.

But you have about 500 posts on forum 😱

• Haha 8

6 hours ago, richarrrd said:

It seems that realism is the goal here, so please consider the following proposal for TAW changes:

• Remove Text Chat entirely: Real pilots could not type to one another, nor talk to the other side.
  • No clickable or scrollwheel-to-zoom maps. Real pilots had physical charts and an analog flight computer on a good day. Printed charts only from now on.
  • No cockpit view zooming in and out. Real people cannot zoom in and out with their eyes, so we shouldn't be able to either.
  • You can no longer choose your airbase and airplanes. You are assigned a regiment when you register, and must always fly your randomly assigned planes. If your base blows up or your assigned planes are unavailable, you cannot play.
  • No respawn. Ever. You get exactly one life per instance. Once you're dead, you're dead. See you next season.

If any of you so-called serious sim pilots care at all about "realism", you will not balk for a second at these changes. If you can't hack it, just play ace combat already.

I would not have a problem with most of that. I have a printer, I could print maps. There is things I would discuss however. I would discuss the zoom thing because identifying and spotting is maybe harder in this game without it, and even with it, than in real life. No zoom would not make me leave the server anyway.

Dying would mean you lose your awards, promotions, and kill counter reset, and then start with a "fresh pilot". If there would be like 1000 players, then dying and being removed of the campaign completely could be viable, would have nothing against it, would welcome such a change.

If your base is destroyed you are assigned to another base. Your game does not end there. Air force will not send you to home. Self enforced Ironman I played in original IL-2 already, if died, then delete campaign and start a new campaign.

In SEOW I flew what was assigned to me, that was natural. The commander is the boss, I am just a pilot. I am not a commander. The same goes with an airfield. A pilot does not chose an airfield. In offline modes I rolled a dice to chose theater and squadron, which I by the way do in this game too. I am not a boss.

I think in SEOW text chat was not possible. You used radio coms, and only with your wing, unless you were a squadron leader or wing leader and had to communicate with other leaders. It was not a problem at all. Was natural.

I liked those your changes overal, good stuff 😄

17 minutes ago, =LG=todeskvlt said:

But you have about 500 posts on forum 😱

Is that a problem for you? This is your server. Just say if it is a problem for you.

2 hours ago, =2ndSS=Lawyer1 said:

My flight time is a little longer, but I fully support him. There are a lot of servers where technochat is enabled. Let there be at least one where it is disabled

My opinion is to let game show technochat just for those handles you could't check visually. Engine selection or bomb drop mode. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

My opinion is to let game show technochat just for those handles you could't check visually. Engine selection or bomb drop mode. 

This kind of technochat message selection/option isn't possible right now. It's a game developers matter. 

Honestly, this is a discussion to be done between TAWs, not during a campaign. And we should pressure the DEVs to allow for minimal techno chat for the scope rudidlo described.

On a different topic, it was a pleasure to see a massive formation of reds attacking our AFs yesterday (19FAB and 72AG I believe) I bow in admiration and hope to see the same on the blue side one day.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, =LG=Piciu said:

This kind of technochat message selection/option isn't possible right now. It's a game developers matter. 

I'm aware of that.

7 hours ago, =LG=Coldman said:

we want people that had same attitude "the harder the better" we are aware that some people will leave because of IT but it make the competition even stronger and closer to reality. 

This is making the experience harder, certainly; this is NOT making it "closer to reality". We are confusing "simulation" with graphical representation of a plane. I can sympathize with anyone who enjoys flying without HUDs of any sort; I enjoy it, too, whenever I can. 

These planes were not designed to be controlled and assessed purely visually, though. That is why controls inside the plane feel different to touch, why some are hidden out of view. The only aspects of the plane that were designed to be monitored purely through visual feedback are the gauges on the front dashboard. When we attempt to "simulate" managing these machines digitally we have to acknowledge the limitation of only representing the planes on a 2D screen with limited FOV and head movement.

If you were to train someone to fly an I-16 using only the IL-2 simulation and a basic HOTAS, you would NOT suggest they use their eyeballs to check the levers of their radiators and cowl flaps, you would also not suggest they take a look at the position of the wing flap crank or count the seconds they were holding down a button to adjust them. You would acknowledge that in the real plane this pilot will have physical feedback that they do not on the 2D screen you have provided them, and you would instead encourage them to focus on the effects of moving flaps along their range of open to closed. You would use the technochat to make up for the physical awareness they do not have the ability to use. 

Again, I sympathize with the desire for immersion, but this change is actually widening the gap even farther between planes that are automatically managed and planes that require heavy pilot management. This is not "simulation". This is an arbitrary decision to make the experience "harder" and for some planes to make them impossible to fully control (such as weapon selection).

• Upvote 3

Having flown two missions on TAW since the start of the new season with technochat off I have to say that I dislike the change. It certainly makes it harder but not more realistic. While I appreciate that TAW is intended to be the most challenging IL-2: Great Battles multiplayer environment possible I think the change just makes certain controls on some aircraft inaccessible.

We've had suggestions on how to mitigate them but they aren't real world considerations in most cases. A real pilot would have additional feedback (auditory, friction, touch, etc.) that is either not modeled or not something that is practically available in simulation yet. I have to admit that it's severely dampened my enthusiasm for the new campaign which is unfortunate.

TAW is a great server. I think it will continue on no matter what settings are on. However, by the same token I think there should be a goal towards including as much of the community in the fun (even if it is established on the reputation of being the most challenging server) and for some I think this is going to be something that turns them away unnecessarily.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Like 2

Technochat is like those small wheels you add to a kids bike when they learn to ride: they could be used later on too but are not needed, even if they would give some benefit. It doesn't take long to learn to fly without technochat, and the challenge makes the experience more worthwhile.

Multiengine: look at your throttle lever to know which engine is selected.

Bombs: only plane I know that doesn't show which bombs are selected is the P47 and I don't think we have that at the moment. You just gotta learn to read the dials.

One thing that is a touch annoying for ground attack work is the AAA which seems to be on "high" AI for all the guns. It could be toned down just a notch, even for that realisms sake :biggrin:

21 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Having flown two missions on TAW since the start of the new season with technochat off I have to say that I dislike the change. It certainly makes it harder but not more realistic. While I appreciate that TAW is intended to be the most challenging IL-2: Great Battles multiplayer environment possible I think the change just makes certain controls on some aircraft inaccessible.

We've had suggestions on how to mitigate them but they aren't real world considerations in most cases. A real pilot would have additional feedback (auditory, friction, touch, etc.) that is either not modeled or not something that is practically available in simulation yet. I have to admit that it's severely dampened my enthusiasm for the new campaign which is unfortunate.

TAW is a great server. I think it will continue on no matter what settings are on. However, by the same token I think there should be a goal towards including as much of the community in the fun (even if it is established on the reputation of being the most challenging server) and for some I think this is going to be something that turns them away unnecessarily.

Thank You for Your opinion and for blog update :)  Yaks 9/9T will be available to the russian pilots and hurricane if it will hop in to the game on time. We are tweaking plane set for it but it will be like with P47 in 2 versions. you will have one plane in garage called yak7b/9 and You will have to choose wich You want to use.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, =LG=Coldman said:

Thank You for Your opinion and for blog update :)  Yaks 9/9T will be available to the russian pilots and hurricane if it will hop in to the game on time. We are tweaking plane set for it but it will be like with P47 in 2 versions. you will have one plane in garage called yak7b/9 and You will have to choose wich You want to use.

Doesn't it make more sense to combine the 1b with the 9? they share more similarities I'd say, also how about the 9T? Can't the plane set just be updated?