Elem

Mig-3 Series 24 Skins

Finkeren, just a suggestion (or perhaps even a thought), you could possibly use "эта машина сбивает фашистов" instead. Sbivayet is the verb used in lieu of an aircraft 'kill' action so it translates as 'this machine shoots down/kills Fascists'. The original quote as it was works well in Russian too though, and I like the colours you used. With enough luck that yellow stripe might trick an Axis pilot who's unused to the MiG's silhouette into thinking it's a friendly for a second or so.

The better option for my russian ear would be ЭТА МАШИНА БЬЕТ ФАШИСТОВ.

Few skins on this beautiful plane!

Custom color scheme, air defense, spring 1942. White 37.

post-50-0-29324300-1451495448_thumb.jpg

post-50-0-19353800-1451495396_thumb.jpg

Download

1st sq 148th IAP pilot - Squadron Commander Captain M.P.Nekrasov, the Battle for Kharkov, spring 1942.

post-50-0-84892700-1451514281_thumb.jpg

Download

More can be found in the original subject. S! :)

Edited by VaSoK
  • Upvote 5

The better option for my russian ear would be ЭТА МАШИНА БЬЕТ ФАШИСТОВ.

Even better :)

Nice skins, vasok!

The better option for my russian ear would be ЭТА МАШИНА БЬЕТ ФАШИСТОВ.

Thanks! I think I'll use that :)
  • Upvote 1

Okay folks I had to delete the plane and upload a new one. I apologize to those of you who already downloaded it.

7th IAP, Black Sea Fleet, 1943

post-12904-0-60759600-1451629212_thumb.jpg post-12904-0-40110800-1451629215_thumb.jpg post-12904-0-75724700-1451629217_thumb.jpg

DOWNLOAD: 7 IAP BLACKSEA_1943.zip

• Upvote 8

how come in gimp I get not correct file format when I try to open it?

When I first installed Gimp, I checked all the plugin extension check boxes under the custom install option. The .psd plugin was also amongst these, (it's the photo shop plugin). If you don't have the .DDS plugin, (needed for exporting for BoS), this is where you can get it: https://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/downloads/list

​Hope this helps you out

Edited by Boomerang

I made a Mig-3 skin directly from the public psd template and the inside of the oil radiator cowling is white.  I checked the default official skin and the inside is a very dark color, not white.

I don't see any white parts in the template nor in the Alpha Channel.

Have others noticed this when making their skins and if so, did you correct for it and how?

Can someone point out the part location in the template controlling this?

I made a Mig-3 skin directly from the public psd template and the inside of the oil radiator cowling is white.  I checked the default official skin and the inside is a very dark color, not white.

I don't see any white parts in the template nor in the Alpha Channel.

Have others noticed this when making their skins and if so, did you correct for it and how?

Can someone point out the part location in the template controlling this?

Can you save your template as a .jpg so I can loo at it?

Okay folks I had to delete the plane and upload a new one. I apologize to those of you who already downloaded it.

7th IAP, Black Sea Fleet, 1943

attachicon.gif2016_1_1__4_4_12.jpg attachicon.gif2016_1_1__4_4_25.jpg attachicon.gif2016_1_1__4_5_40.jpg

DOWNLOAD: attachicon.gif7 IAP BLACKSEA_1943.zip

this skin is crashing me to desktop

everytime I click on this skin in the setup it crashes the game.

edit that I reported this bug when you install the custom skins this memory error happens.

ok what I have done to test this out; it seems when you add a custom skin into the game it causes this error until you reboot your computer system.

Now this is why we're seeing a lot of these memory reports. I have tested this and it seems this is the cause of the memory leaks.

Steps to Reproduce:
Step #1. after you have played a multiplayer mission for about 10 min; turn off game.

Step#2. add a custom skin into a plane, i.e.  K:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\graphics\skins\MiG3s24

Step#3. restart the game and go into a multiplayer game, pick the newly install skin, in the setup phase. (you should get an error like this)

Step#4. restart your computer, conduct same step #3.

Game should now be playable.

also make sure after you have down loaded for some OS's, unblock the download..for some reason UAC will not turn this part off.

Edited by 71st_Mastiff

Happy new year! :)

Yellow 9, shot down by the Finnish Air Force in 1943

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d79q6nnweobt2w1/Mig3s24_yellow9.dds

1_40.jpg

2016_1_1_18_55_21.jpg

7th IAP, Black Sea Fleet, Kuban, 1943

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/iifnxi3w0n4pd8d/Mig3s24_7IAP_28.dds

1_4_b1.jpg

2016_1_1_19_12_15.jpg

16th IAP, 6th IAK, Moscow Air Defence,  I.N.Zabolotnyi. In 1941.

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ob9h1z5a069ur49/Mig3s24_16IAP_Zabolotnyi.dds

1_7_b2.jpg

2016_1_1_19_1_5.jpg

Edited by Reflected
  • Upvote 11

As always reflected, good work! I love your skins hehe

• Upvote 1

Reflected excellent work as usual brother. I am glad to have you as a fellow skinner.

• Upvote 2

also great screens , these russian planes are very impressives with characteristic colours and the famous red star

Edited by sport02

Hello and happy new year to all of you.

It has been long but I've just finished my first Mig-3. It took a long time because as usual I've created a template of my own (panel lines, rivets, weathering, paint chipping and alpha layer).

You'll certainly notice that Reflected made the same one before me. But when I chose to make this skin I was on holliday and I didn't know that Reflected would make it too.

It will give you the opportunity the see how two skinners can handle a same skin and how the results can differ ...

This one is the plane of Aleksandr Pokryshkin of the 16th GvIAP :

160102-MIG3-001.jpg

160102-MIG3-002.jpg

160102-MIG3-005.jpg

160102-MIG3-007.jpg

Download here : http://www.unbound-frogs.org/zsf/2016/01/03/mig-3-16-gviap-aleksandr-pokryshkin/

• Upvote 12

A picture is worth more.  Here is the issue I am having with the Mig3 skin.

On the left is the official default skin.  On the right is a skin made directly from the the public template without any changes.  The one on the left the inside of the oil rad cowling is black or dark green. The one on the right, the rad cowling is white inside.

I am using GIMP.  trying to find how to change that item to non-white.  It shows up the same in skin viewer.

24156764555_25874f15c5_b.jpg

Edited by MrStick

A picture is worth more.  Here is the issue I am having with the Mig3 skin.

On the left is the official default skin.  On the right is a skin made directly from the the public template without any changes.  The one on the left the inside of the oil rad cowling is black or dark green. The one on the right, the rad cowling is white inside.

I am using GIMP.  trying to find how to change that item to non-white.  It shows up the same in skin viewer.

Did you drag the "Shadows" layer up to the top out of the layer group? For some reason it won't work if it's within the default layer group.

YTdQ154.jpg

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 2

5tuka, no, I had not dragged it up.  I just opened the template and made the skin without making any changes.  I made the change as you suggested and all is well.  Thank you.  Maybe it works in that location with PS, don't know.  I'll make a post of the one I am working on when finished.

Hello,

Please, note that I've made an update of the skin of the Mig-3 of Aleksandr Pokryshkin in order to correct two little bugs (update here : http://www.unbound-frogs.org/zsf/2016/01/03/mig-3-16-gviap-aleksandr-pokryshkin/).

And I've started a new skin from a profile by Massimo Tessitori (unit and pilot unkwon) :

160104-MIG3-001.jpg

Sill WIP ...

See U soon.

• Upvote 6

Dear MiG-3 skinners, I have noticed on a few skins that there are a couple of things missing. Don't forget about the BK gunpods and the plate that covers the center nose gun when the 2x20mm or 2x12.7mm nose guns are selected. 

Also, is it possible to make that starter tooth on the spinner disappear in a way similar to the LaGG-3 landing gear cover or Stuka wheel pants?

post-30291-0-24356800-1451945022_thumb.jpg

Also, is it possible to make that starter tooth on the spinner disappear in a way similar to the LaGG-3 landing gear cover or Stuka wheel pants?

Yes, you can actually remove the whole nose section up to the cockpit (tested it). It also has no internal parts there unlike other planes (ribs, engien block, fluid tanks, ect).

The challenge is to find that little piece of texture in yor graphic program - it's like finding the neelde in the haystack :)

• Upvote 1

Hello,

My "White 18" is finished. As I told you before, this skin is taken from the site od Massimo Tessitori (see here : http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/blacknose18.html.) Massimo explains that the plane can be seen on a movie but he is not able to guess wich unit he belonged to.

I made this skin because I wanted to make an orginal green/black paint scheme.

So here it is :

160105-MIG3-001.jpg

160105-MIG3-003.jpg

160105-MIG3-004.jpg

160105-MIG3-006.jpg

160105-MIG3-007.jpg

160105-MIG3-002.jpg

Download link: http://www.unbound-frogs.org/zsf/2016/01/05/mig-3-18-blanc/

Hope you'll enjoy flying it.

Edited by UF_Zargos
  • Upvote 6

Hope you'll enjoy flying it.

Thanks Zargos!

Just a couple of suggestions Zargos. The top of the gun pods and the center nose gun cover plate are still the stock green. Also there is something going on with the lower cowling demarcation line. What is strange is the lighter blurry part is actually where the line is supposed to be to begin with so I'm not sure if you were trying to do it on purpose and something in the template wasn't working right or something. 

post-30291-0-02916000-1452011079_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-66925000-1452011029_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-85379800-1452011458_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-50234700-1452011089_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-08895100-1452011105_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-08316700-1452011116_thumb.jpg

Hi Borys,

I agree with the gun pods : I confess that I didn't paint them beacause this plane was not supposed to have them. But it is not difficult to correct this point.

On the other side I'm a bit surprised with the central gun cover and the demarcation on the lower cowling : they didn't appear the same way in my screens shots : the central gun cover is dark grey and the paint démarcation is on the right place ... I've checked on the Photoshop file and the dds file and they both looks correct.

Here is a screen shot of the DDS file :

160105-MIG3-008.jpg

May be there is something wrong with your GPU or your graphic game options ?

Has any one else have the same troubles as Borys ?

Edited by UF_Zargos

If I may.... :)

a9LOpct.jpg

As far as the demarcation line goes, that's the way it's in the template and on the official skin. If this really is an issue I may correct it on my skins as well, although I have no idea how it looks if streched to the bottom (as I've doe in the picture).

PS: Not trying to be disrespectful or anything, just though it would be better to show it on your picture rather than writing :)

• Upvote 2

Yes the default skin is for an earlier MiG-3. Most of the later ones have the lower cowling line meeting the center or bottom of the wing root cooling ducts. Also the line going from the back of the wing to the front of the elevator is curved (like the default skin) on earlier models and straight on later models leaving one of the fuselage star points in the lower blue paint. I think the issues with the lower cowling line could have something to do with the shape of it on our 3d model. I have a whole thread to bring it up to developers here http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/18289-mig-3

Actually yes that is where the lines should be on the lower cowling. I really wanted to test it but I know nothing about skinning. With the stock template, if you look at the nose from below you can see the lines start out straight then angle inward toward the nose. It shouldn't be like that. They should be straight all the way and angle inward all the way to the nose. The kink in the lines on the stock template corresponds to a kink in the line on the 3d model of the lower cowling. Ours is shaped like a semicircle and at that kink it sharpens toward the nose. It should be a softened trapezoid shape that flows into a semicircle at the nose.

The test I wanted to do was to change the lines like you have and then see it it has that same kink only when viewed from the side profile instead of the bottom.