Elem

Mig-3 Series 24 Skins

Ok Borys I didn't what you were meaning about the painting demarcation.

I thought your prblem was the blur effect, not the position of the demarcation itself.

With pictures it's clear to me.

nO0Bct7.jpg

How do you do that ?

I tried somme attempts but I didn't get what you show.

Could you share your template ?

Here's the White 44 I mentioned I was working on.

23567861274_3b345aa9f1_b.jpg

I used the black camo interpretation from the Number 46 in the pic below.  All the paint was from the VVS Research site using the non-faded swatches.  They site mentioned the numbers possibly being silver however I did them in standard A-11 white.

23566636883_5029a1f003_b.jpg

Skin views:

24196069785_8a47325ddd_c.jpg

23567899594_f9353fabf2_c.jpg

24113479641_7b9d774744_c.jpg

Link to plane info:  http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/silver46.html

Download Link:  4k version available here - https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/20181-mig-3-series-24-skins/?p=445584

Cheers!

Edited by 12.OIAE_Stick-95
  • Upvote 3

Very awesome!  

I get a drop box 500 error message though :(

Ok Borys I didn't what you were meaning about the painting demarcation.

I thought your prblem was the blur effect, not the position of the demarcation itself.

With pictures it's clear to me.

No problem Zargos :) I didn't mean any offense, just trying to be helpful :) 

@ Zargos unfortunately Gimp has issues when exporting files to psd (huge files and reduced quality) so I hope this will do it (if not you can PM me):

SHgZpSl.jpg

What I am personally trying to figure out is where the inner textures for the cooler intakes and screw holes are settled since they still appear green on my skin.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

Thank you 5tuka.

I didn't think it was that simple ... I'm going to try.

hmmm... not sure why the 500 error.   Maybe someone else can let me know if they are getting this also.

I tried again now and it works fine. Must have been something on my end before.

@ Zargos unfortunately Gimp has issues when exporting files to psd (huge files and reduced quality) so I hope this will do it (if not you can PM me):

What I am personally trying to figure out is where the inner textures for the cooler intakes and screw holes are settled since they still appear green on my skin.

The coolers are in those two dark spots on the "shadow" map. Red in this image.

efadfadf.jpg

fgsgsgsg.jpg

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 2

The coolers are in those two dark spots on the "shadow" map. Red in this image.

efadfadf.jpg

fgsgsgsg.jpg

That looks pretty useful for skinners.

Do you mind sharing how to do the top image?

Here it is:

http://www.pumaszallas.hu/Private/VO101_Tom/Panel_Finder_by_Tom_2_2048x2048.jpg

Basically just add it as a layer over the skin, and save it as new skin, then check it with the skin viewer. Look what numbers and colors are mapped  on the area you are looking for, then see where they are on the template. 

I like to use it together with the mapping from the outline layer, to pinpoint the exact part of the skin. 

Like this:

mig3s24_rom.png
Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 3

Here it is:

http://www.pumaszallas.hu/Private/VO101_Tom/Panel_Finder_by_Tom_2_2048x2048.jpg

Basically just add it as a layer over the skin, and save it as new skin, then check it with the skin viewer. Look what numbers and colors are mapped  on the area you are looking for, then see where they are on the template. 

I like to use it together with the mapping from the outline layer, to pinpoint the exact part of the skin. 

Like this:

mig3s24_rom.png

Awesome! Thanks!

a9LOpct.jpg

Oh my god ! How silly was I !

I just didn't think of the different options for the armement !

Corrections are under progress.

Thank you all for your advices

Edited by UF_Zargos

Awesome! Thanks!

Wow Jade Monkey I paint my skin teh same way fist so I can see what is where.

Also Zargos, the shadow on the cowling line is on everyone's skins not only yours. Even the default skin has the same line just not as visible. I think it was a mistake by whoever painted the original.

the shadow on the cowling line is on everyone's skins not only yours

Could you post a picture of that ? I don't really understand what do you want to focus on.

Thanks.

post-30291-0-78850200-1452349171_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-86731600-1452351256_thumb.jpg

post-30291-0-85345700-1452351262_thumb.jpg
It is outlined in red. It's on every skin everyone made including the stock skin. On yours it is only slightly darker. If you zoom in close on any skin you will see it. It is very faint on other skins though. You can see it very clear when you change skins and the computer thinks about it for a second and the plane turns into this while it is thinking. post-30291-0-79058800-1452351259_thumb.jpg

Edited by BorysVorobyov

OK ! I see what you mean.

But I've no explaination for that, neither have I any solution.

On the template where you see the sides of the cowling there is a blue stripe on the bottom of the green part. Make all of it green (or whatever color your skin uses on top) without the stripe. But you also have to color the tab for the wing root cooler tunnel.
post-30291-0-54011200-1452365386_thumb.jpg

Edited by BorysVorobyov

These lines, probably :

Mi_G1.jpg

I rather think it's sth within the shadows layer. BTW the line in your picture is hidden in the "metal chips" layer (just incase sby's interested).

The Mig template is definetly a bit confusing but fortunately easy to work with once you figured all that stuff out.

I rather think it's sth within the shadows layer. BTW the line in your picture is hidden in the "metal chips" layer (just incase sby's interested).

The Mig template is definetly a bit confusing but fortunately easy to work with once you figured all that stuff out.

Right but that line is where the demarcation line should be instead of where they put it in the template. When you look at the nose from directly below you can see a kink in those lines when they are supposed to be straight. Just check it out here http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/12255-graphics-models-and-maps/page-3?do=findComment&comment=322082

Is that closer to what you want?

nO0Bct7.jpg

Yes this is how it should look. If you notice now the demarcation line is in the correct place as well as being more clean and not so fuzzy. The only thing I could suggest is to not paint the black outline around the bottom of the wing root cooling ducts. The line from cowling and wing should go to roughly the center of the hole. The bottom of the duct should still be blue.

post-30291-0-08733500-1452434853_thumb.jpg

Edited by BorysVorobyov

OK ! I see what you mean.

But I've no explaination for that, neither have I any solution.

If you move the demarcation line to bottom of the cowling it will cover the shadow and the demarcation line will be in the correct place :)

f you move the demarcation line to bottom of the cowling it will cover the shadow and the demarcation line will be in the correct place :)

Well I made further investigation and eventually find and correct the problem.

You'll see the results in my next screenshots.

Well I made further investigation and eventually find and correct the problem.

You'll see the results in my next screenshots.

I can't wait! If I could make a personal request, could you please some time make 7 IAP White 4 skin of yours from Il-2 1946? :)

Hi !

Here is my last Mig-3 : a plane from the 148th IAP involved in the battle of Kharkov.

It was impossible to make skin of Mig3 without making at least one with a patriotic tag !

160110-MIG3-001.jpg

160110-MIG3-003.jpg

160110-MIG3-005.jpg

160110-MIG3-007.jpg

160110-MIG3-008.jpg

Download link : http://www.unbound-frogs.org/zsf/2016/01/10/mig-3-148-iap-2-rouge/

Cheers.

could you please some time make 7 IAP White 4 skin of yours from Il-2 1946?

It was not in my immediate projects, but I'll certainly make it one of these days.

I could make this skin from an existing one, but you that I don't like that two planes of the ZSF has the same weathering and paint chipping pattern.

So you'll have to be a little patient.

Edited by UF_Zargos
  • Upvote 7

Hi !

Here is my last Mig-3 : a plane from the 148th IAP involved in the battle of Kharkov.

It was impossible to make skin of Mig3 without making at least one with a patriotic tag !

160110-MIG3-001.jpg

160110-MIG3-003.jpg

160110-MIG3-005.jpg

160110-MIG3-007.jpg

160110-MIG3-008.jpg

Download link : http://www.unbound-frogs.org/zsf/2016/01/10/mig-3-148-iap-2-rouge/

Cheers.

It was not in my immediate projects, but I'll certainly make it one of these days.

I could make this skin from an existing one, but you that I don't like that two planes of the ZSF has the same weathering and paint chipping pattern.

So you'll have to be a little patient.

No problem Zargos :) I think this one is my new favorite.

Zagros, it's a pity you've done with MiGs 'cos your MiGs are the best for me! Exellent look!

Hi Samson,

Thank for your support.

I don't say I was stopping skinning Migs ... I just say that I've something else to do before.

Don't worry there will be other Mig-3.

Cheers.

• Upvote 2

Hello,

Here is a quick view of my further Mig-3

The first one is a fantasy skin, for a non historical racer, just for the fun :

160111-MIG3-001.jpg

And the next is the "white 4" BorysVorobyov was talking about in its early stage of painting :

160111-MIG3-002.jpg

Cheers !

• Upvote 2

Next one will be sth fictional (usually I don't do fictional skins, but the sleek looking Mig just calls for it).

eu6ADkl.jpg

All metal parts (wing roots, engine cowling, ect) are meant to be polished bare metal (I need to improve on it to make it look more alike) while wooden pats and fabric are coloured wiht silver paint. The red stars have shiny silver paint coloured edges too. The red arrows are adopted from some historical Mig schemes. Still unsure what I should put on the wings though, I won't make it too colourfull though since this is meant to be a combat scheme, not aerobatic.

Don't know if I should make it public or keep as a personal... :scratch_one-s_head:

• Upvote 4

Don't know if I should make it public or keep as a personal... :scratch_one-s_head:

PUBLIC PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ

Edited by Ventus
  • Upvote 1

Here's the White 44 I mentioned I was working on.

23567861274_3b345aa9f1_b.jpg

I used the black camo interpretation from the Number 46 in the pic below.  All the paint was from the VVS Research site using the non-faded swatches.  They site mentioned the numbers possibly being silver however I did them in standard A-11 white.

23566636883_5029a1f003_b.jpg

Skin views:

24196069785_8a47325ddd_c.jpg

23567899594_f9353fabf2_c.jpg

24113479641_7b9d774744_c.jpg

Link to plane info:  http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/silver46.html

Download Link:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/qy2vtybvnb3jkye/Mig3s24_Summer_White44.dds?dl=0

Cheers!

Hey can you make 40-43 and 45 and 47-50? That way we can have a full pack.

Anyone have a set of appropriate 0-9 number fonts?  color not an issue.  The one I put on is hand done, a little too time consuming.  I don't mind doing some touch up.

Here is another pic of 3.

24332833166_b9678703f9_o.jpg

Edited by 12.OIAE_Stick-95
  • Upvote 1

Finally done.

I've been grounded for two weeks now due to a busted graphics card that made it imposible to finish my first MiG skin :( Tonight I got a replacement and brushed up the last few things on the skin and here it is:

post-13181-0-59155800-1452725616_thumb.jpg post-13181-0-63723700-1452726076_thumb.jpg post-13181-0-44133000-1452726093_thumb.jpg

As mentioned, it's a fictional skin with a fairly plausible makeshift 3-colour camouflage and a nod to the contemporary Woody Guthrie ;)

My first skin for BoS - in fact my first skin job in over 10 years. Let me know, what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u0pd2cdzxhzpc85/Mig3s24_Guthrie.dds

Edited by Finkeren
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Great skin, Finkeren! From the results, these 10 years were spent cooking up skills rather than letting them rust. The Order of the Red Banner you placed on the fuselage gave it a nice touch too :)

• Upvote 1