I thought it went into beta testing before christmas.

Nope. In the last DD from Dec. 29th Han said that they were ready to start alpha tests, which I guess basically means, that all the major parts of 3.001 were assembled, but some minor parts (graphics, animations, sounds etc) were still missing.

When it’s beta it’s basically done and just needs tweaking and crushing bugs.

Nope, worked for architects.  The pricks. 

My first job out of college was in advertising, I worked for a trade show display house as a location photographer and graphic arts tech.  For too many years I worked 12 to 15 hour days, 7 days a week for months at a time ahead of major trade shows getting multiple projects done.   Never again.

Nope. In the last DD from Dec. 29th Han said that they were ready to start alpha tests, which I guess basically means, that all the major parts of 3.001 were assembled, but some minor parts (graphics, animations, sounds etc) were still missing.

When it’s beta it’s basically done and just needs tweaking and crushing bugs.

The perfect DD for me will be the one that says:

'Hey guys, here's 3.001, kthnxbye'

:biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Damn..... I also assumed it was in beta and thought we were much closer to release than we actually are :'(. I am still curious if they will announce a release date before releasing, or if they will simply release it as a suprise. 

guys that have been around for awhile, what did they do in regards to moscow? did they announce a date or just send it out as a surprise?

Well, here we are again! Get ready for BIG news!

Or none at all. Or a minor update. It's hard to say.

Don’t worry, there’s no cat inside anymore,

I have two here at home if you want to bring the tradition back properly

• Upvote 1

Honestly I would not mind just getting some of the new aircraft as they become ready, if they need more time to finish the campaign and other improvements.

I guess preparing releases and shipping them out takes some time and work that might as well be going towards the big 3.001 patch.

Honestly I would not mind just getting some of the new aircraft as they become ready, if they need more time to finish the campaign and other improvements.

Jason mentioned before somewhere, that this would just make everything take way longer due to the way everything is integrated. so we will just need to wait I guess.

Edited by =SqSq=switch201

A lot of work goes into assembling tweaking and testing an update. The more individual updates you split your work into, the longer it takes.

The original schedule for BoK was to release the career in late autumn 2017 along with, I think, the Yak-7b and then add the P-39 and A-20 in November/December. Merging it into one giant update has no doubt allowed the devs to gain some time they so desperately need.

What if they've been holding out on us so that they could surprise us, and tomorrow we get the free addition of GSTs and PBN-1 Nomads? :o:

Hey! You never know. Stranger things have happened. :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the team has one core developer at its disposal. That's crazy amounts of work for one person and a VERY weak link!

What if they've been holding out on us so that they could surprise us, and tomorrow we get the free addition of GSTs and PBN-1 Nomads? :o:

Hey! You never know. Stranger things have happened. :lol:

In my mind they are also releasing the updated Rise of Flight tomorrow. I'd better not be disappointed.

I wrote an article about when you should become excited about the release :)https://stormbirds.blog/2018/01/21/all-quiet-on-the-kuban-front/

Not waiting for the actual files, a simple update will suffice.

There is no way to keep up default productivity in such conditions for more than two-three days, unless people fly on drugs. One needs 9 hours of clean sleep to be good, another needs 5 to be the same but beyond that things tend to go downhill quickly.

That's very true. I read a great couple of articles recently that showed software start-up companies that pushed their employees past 60 hours a week (going sometime to 80) and were actually losing productivity. They were able to make gains by dropping back to 35-40 hours. The employees were present for fewer hours but more work and fewer errors were being committed. There are limits to what humans can do over a prolonged period of time.

Damn..... I also assumed it was in beta and thought we were much closer to release than we actually are :'(. I am still curious if they will announce a release date before releasing, or if they will simply release it as a suprise. 

guys that have been around for awhile, what did they do in regards to moscow? did they announce a date or just send it out as a surprise?

So far, no word on any beta. Still in alpha mode.

Battle of Moscow came out in a different way. There were monthly updates as we normally get and pieces of were assembled and put in place. The same goes for Stalingrad. In many ways the final release was anti-climatic as we had almost everything before the official release came out.

Because the final push for Kuban relies on so many interconnected pieces and because a few of them are huge, we're told they decided that the best way to meet the timeline would be to push everything into one big update. They are breaking some big ground with this update so it's very different than Moscow which was new features and content but definitely more incremental in nature.

In my mind they are also releasing the updated Rise of Flight tomorrow. I'd better not be disappointed.

Oh man! I can't wait! I love that WWI flying! :biggrin:

That's very true. I read a great couple of articles recently that showed software start-up companies that pushed their employees past 60 hours a week (going sometime to 80) and were actually losing productivity. They were able to make gains by dropping back to 35-40 hours. The employees were present for fewer hours but more work and fewer errors were being committed. There are limits to what humans can do over a prolonged period of time.

We used to be pushed to 120 hours a week as deadlines approached, but you can only sustain that for about two and a half weeks before you really begin shutting down beyond what you can manage through force of will.  I learned a lot about the extremes of fatigue when I worked at that place.  30 hour shifts were so common as to be considered unremarkable.  I think the longest "day" I put in was 53 hours, but I was only moments away from collapse by the time I got home from that one.

When I heard about FC being made I got upset with RoF being left alone so I uninstalled it...

Then after flying il2 box I started missing them ww1 kites...

I just reinstalled it today, got it downloaded in 20 min, updated in 5min, then up in the air shortly after to run a few short quick mission dogfights...

I hated my self for thinking it was obsolete. It still gets the adrenalin pumping. .

I can't wait for this next update for box.

I feel they are working hard on the new vis range, effects, planes, and hopefully not encountering to many bugs...

Probably gonna surprise us with something completely Unexpected.

I just hope the new textures and additions don't kill my rig...

Thank you devs for your awesomeness!!!!!

• Upvote 1

We used to be pushed to 120 hours a week as deadlines approached, but you can only sustain that for about two and a half weeks before you really begin shutting down beyond what you can manage through force of will.  I learned a lot about the extremes of fatigue when I worked at that place.  30 hour shifts were so common as to be considered unremarkable.  I think the longest "day" I put in was 53 hours, but I was only moments away from collapse by the time I got home from that one.

That's insane, can't be healthy.

What disappointment would that be?

Well, to paraphrase Anita Dobson-via-Freddy Mercury-and-Queen, "We want it all and we want it now!" :lol:

Well, to paraphrase Anita Dobson-via-Freddy Mercury-and-Queen, "We want it all and we want it now!" :lol:

Accurate.

The most I ever worked in a single week was 100 hrs with a stretch during it of 40 out of 48 hrs. That was a salaried position. I made less than minimum wage that week dollar per hour wise. Thankfully I was much younger then. I'd never do it again. I agree after a certain point my productivity dropped off drastically.

As far as the developers pushing too hard to get the final release of Kuban out I'd rather they work at a slower but ultimately more productive schedule.

• Upvote 1

The most I ever worked in a single week was 100 hrs with a stretch during it of 40 out of 48 hrs. That was a salaried position. I made less than minimum wage that week dollar per hour wise. Thankfully I was much younger then. I'd never do it again. I agree after a certain point my productivity dropped off drastically.

As far as the developers pushing too hard to get the final release of Kuban out I'd rather they work at a slower but ultimately more productive schedule.

My working day during firefight season is 12-16h on average and sometimes goes to 20h and many times we stay by our own will just so in the morning there is one more aircraft fighting wildfires.

There is that feel of acomplishemt and being useful and proud, it's not all in salary expecially when team is great.

I guess same is for those devs who volunteer staying overtime,and of course ppl take breaks during shift.

I can wait as long as it is necessary but, please, give us some news. It makes it so much easier. Dropping a line doesn't take that long.

I feel like in the book from Garcia Marquez, El coronel no tiene quien le escriba.

Thanks for the Stormbirds Blog. It's great and I love it!

Edited by -=PHX=-Spartan-

I can wait as long as it is necessary but, please, give us some news. It makes it so much easier. Dropping a line doesn't take that long.

I feel like in the book from Garcia Marquez, El coronel no tiene quien le escriba.

Well to be fair Jason did post that there would be no DD last week, because they were all busy. That's news :)

And if you think about it that in itself speaks volumes, because if things are going to plan, there is less pressure and easier to find time for things like DD's. If things are falling behind then you focus on the problems in an effort to try and catch up. 

I'm expecting another "sorry not this week" post in this thread, that way I will not be disappointed if the DD doesn't come :)

Turns out that the delay of the Pacific was all a joke and tomorrow we're getting Zeros and Wildcats releases along with screenshots of the first carriers...

I think the longest week I ever did was close to 100hrs back when I worked as an agricultural engineer. I wasn't even the busiest, the boss of the firm easily exceeded 100 that week.

90% team is busy, no news

5% text or screens

4% start of betatesting

1% announced approx. release date

It comes when it comes! From the quality point of view it's better to hear nothing because the output will be much better. Otherwise a short FB post about what is going on wouldn't be that "expensive" :)

What disappointment would that be?

No news is dissapointing

Edited by SJ_Butcher

No news in this particular context is against over three years of weekly DDs, which is enough to raise concerns. Jason Williams knows this and posted last week because this very reason.

I hope we atleast get a release date today. Nothing fancy just d/m/2018.

I've been suffering from withdrawal symptoms a few weeks now, it gets time they throw us something  :happy:

i'm almost rolling on the floor already!

No news in this particular context is against over three years of weekly DDs

Not true at all. There have been times before when there were no weekly DDs. I remember some time during BoM development we went for a month or two with no DD.

no news, normally, are good news, they’re working hard, sure

This team is one of the few in the business, where this can be said to be accurate. Most of the time silence from a software developer is a bad sign, but not in this case.

DD should consist in good and bad news or technical problems, so fans will not be so anxious