Kuhnada

The Future of IL:2: BOS

I'm just daydreaming about big multi turreted tanks crossing no man's land in RoF running over the wire and trenches. Flyable zeppelins would also be badass. Maybe somehow combine it with the FPS Verdun...

Edited by possumkiller

I don't see how you can simulate a ground war without significant numbers of infantry 

Maybe have your game set to air mode or ground mode. Air mode would use the current graphics and models and ground mode would have more detailed ground vehicles and models and such but more basic planes. Have it set up so we could all play in the same place but each be optimised for the mode we are playing. This way pilots won't waste computer power on sophisticated ground objects and vehicle drivers or infantry won't waste it on sophisticated air objects.

Maybe have your game set to air mode or ground mode. Air mode would use the current graphics and models and ground mode would have more detailed ground vehicles and models and such but more basic planes. Have it set up so we could all play in the same place but each be optimised for the mode we are playing. This way pilots won't waste computer power on sophisticated ground objects and vehicle drivers or infantry won't waste it on sophisticated air objects.

Maybe they could call it T-34: Battle of Stalingrad?

:huh:

• Upvote 1

"Jack of all trades, master of none."

Let's get the flight sim part of this flight sim up to speed first..?  :scratch_one-s_head:

You did red Jason's post right? That none of this tank talk is affecting progress on the Flight sim aspects.

You don't need higher levels. The terrain and buildings are just fine for tank v tank player battles.

Maybe they could call it T-34: Battle of Stalingrad?

:huh:

Again why make it a totally.seperate game when it could just be included as part of this new Il2?

And let's not forget about the unsung heroes of the quartermaster corps. We also need a field kitchen simulator and a field hospital simulator. And a unit supply simulator. Imagine the countless hours of fun to be had filling in requisition forms for socks and rations. The fun of keeping track of all the ordinance expended by your unit :)

They make a few improvements to the current tanks and whalla!

And how exactly shall those "few improvements" look like? I'm curious since - as I said - the tanks themself are the minor issue. They sure could model nice tanks but including them into a flightsim game with nice graphics and appealing gameplay is sth of different scale.

Much of the posts in here remind me of WT before the arrival of tanks. People were screaming and shouting, posted hatery and how simple they'd gain masses of players with "just" making tanks ect. Well, 2 weeks after tanks were fleshed out the great "brownish" storm began to float the forums due to great gameplay and physics issues, poor performance and garbadge matchmaking.

Not that I'm a dev myself but it seems to me some people (not nessecarily you) underestimate the great requirements and effort it takes to build sth this big and game changing within a flight simulaor with already max stressed out engine. Games like Arma which utilize this concept of combined arms sucessfully end up with several shortcomings like physics, ai, graphics and gameplay diversity.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka
  • Upvote 1

Human controlled AAA probably makes more sense than human controlled tanks.  

Yeah I'd like this. Sometimes the plane I want is unavailable. This would curb the spawn vultures.

[A] You did red Jason's post right? That none of this tank talk is affecting progress on the Flight sim aspects.

Again why make it a totally.seperate game when it could just be included as part of this new Il2?

[A] Yeah... I did. What's your point? My point stands: lets have ourselves a flight sim (since that is what IL-2 Sturmovik is and has always been) and worry about other things once we have that out of the way.

Again... Because IL-2 Sturmovik is and always has been a combat flight simulator... So you know, let's have ourselves a flight simulator and worry about other things once we have that out of the way.

Yeah I'd like this. Sometimes the plane I want is unavailable. This would curb the spawn vultures.

Nawww... AI AAA is considerably more effective than player controlled AAA...

Edited by 4./JG26_Adler

Good Lord this is dragging even though I have already explained the situation. We're not making a Red Orchestra style game so just drop the drama. IF we allow tanks to be driven in the game it won't detract from the flying which is our main focus. We're not aiming to make a full-blown combined arms simulator like ARMA. We did an experiment a while back and it turned out pretty cool and we are considering adding it to the game at some point as an added value. It doesn't stress the engine and is just a neat little feature some may enjoy.

Like I said above you should just focus on the upcoming update and I-16 which has nothing to do with tanks.

Jason

• Upvote 1

You did red Jason's post right? 

"The next update will put back several things that the community has wanted so lets just celebrate that for now and not obsess over tanks." 

I understand that very well, my point was just to show that sth like this possibly won't happen (just as you said). I don't understand why the OP while clearly being interested in tanks as a speculative feauture does not deserve a discussion on this matter though. That will only lead to misunderstandings and false conclusions about BoS and devs to rise up.

"Jack of all trades, master of none."

Let's get the flight sim part of this flight sim up to speed first..?  :scratch_one-s_head:

We agree on something  :lol:

Like I said above you should just focus on the upcoming update and I-16 which has nothing to do with tanks.

Yes ,Too much eager of having access . :salute: 

"The next update will put back several things that the community has wanted so lets just celebrate that for now and not obsess over tanks." 

That includes telling everyone why it can't and shouldn't happen I assume.

I hope somewhere on a tank sim forum somewhere a bunch of people are all having a debate adding airplanes.

• Upvote 1

Good Lord this is dragging even though I have already explained the situation. We're not making a Red Orchestra style game so just drop the drama. IF we allow tanks to be driven in the game it won't detract from the flying which is our main focus. We're not aiming to make a full-blown combined arms simulator like ARMA. We did an experiment a while back and it turned out pretty cool and we are considering adding it to the game at some point as an added value. It doesn't stress the engine and is just a neat little feature some may enjoy.

Jason

+1

I hope somewhere on a tank sim forum somewhere a bunch of people are all having a debate adding airplanes.

So do I.  We could use more flight simulators.

Thankfully the devs here aren't into making watered down garbage to get rich off of teenager lunch money...

• Upvote 1

It'd be cool to unlock that feature within early access BOM...just to play around with it and experiment some...but I understand the priorities within the game...still enhancing a ground war feature would be an answer to many of the previous complaints about lack of ground activity...coming from a CFS perspective....I mean...providing air cover for attack aircraft that have limited target options takes away from the air combat focus as well....But understood Jason...let's get that I-16....

Edited by JagdNeun