Kuhnada

The Future of IL:2: BOS

Will tanks be playable in this game in the near future?

I say that because I saw a video of devs driving tanks in a video a while ago so it's definitely possible. 

Adding human-playable tanks is going to put this game in a league of it's own. Even better if they would add human-controlled infantry for a full WW2-simulation experience. 

I believe this is where War Thunder is headed

The whole grinding for EXP to get more planes and broken FM's/Dm's in War Thunder turns me off from the whole game. Coming from Il2:1946, War Thunder could never measure up to Il2's level of realism. 

There's no game out there that gets all three things right...and I think this is what a lot of people want. 

Seeing as how Il2:BOS is only one Theater of Operation, this seems like a realistic dream to look forward to. 

• Upvote 2

Hello Kuhnada and welcome to the forum,

BoS is a flight sim, not a mmo game like War Thunder. Nothing wrong with War Thunder mind you, it's just a different genre from BoS, BoM, RoF, etc. Driving tanks and fps action is a lot of fun, but not really what this sim is all about.

Good hunting,

CFC_Conky

Edited by CFC_Conky
  • Upvote 1

There are bits and pieces of clues visible in some files indicating the devs might have had ideas about that, but I hope they have abandoned the idea, at least for the near future. Let's have a good complete WWII flight sim first, with the pacific, western and Mediterranean theaters. But that's just my opinion, I don't care much for tanks.

• Upvote 7

The very last thing I want to see in this flight simulator, is a bunch of people on the forums complaining about tank damage models, "My panther was penetrated in one shot, Russian bias!/I couldn't even penetrate a panther, this game is bullshit!" .. Kind of like what happens in War Thunder.

Let's have a good Complete WWII flight sim first, with the Pacific, Western and Mediterranean Theaters. But that's just my opinion, I don't care much for tanks.

+ 1

• Upvote 2

Drivable tanks?

Pardon my French but: Hell no!

There's a funny little game called War Thunder for that.

Human controlled AAA probably makes more sense than human controlled tanks.  

Unless we have well over 100 players on a server it is nuts to incorporate this unless they do it in a clever way, maybe like a flak controller who controls all batteries or something like that but is not able to aim the actual guns maybe

True enough.

Unless we have well over 100 players on a server it is nuts to incorporate this unless they do it in a clever way, maybe like a flak controller who controls all batteries or something like that but is not able to aim the actual guns maybe

I'm talking about controlling individual guns.  Maybe they could have a way for people who want to control AAA to connect so that they don't count against the player limit.

I'm talking about controlling individual guns.  Maybe they could have a way for people who want to control AAA to connect so that they don't count against the player limit.

Yeh I just don't know if this would be a good thing or even particularly fun.

I actually like the idea of people being able to control radar or flak batteries but not the individual guns. Not that I'm against taking over a gun but because I think there could be some cool ideas implemented which do something different and that hasn't been done before.

~S~ Everyone,

The future of IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad is Mission Building, and the variety of gameplay options and replay ability that it offers.

Please don't reply with "zomg it's too hard, and I don't have the time to do thatz", because we know that recourse already...

However, more and more there will be a few of us to step into it, learn it, and open up the playing field like you've never seen before.

Sadly, the few guys that do have some mastery of it are reaching a little too far towards humongous, persistent total war servers...

I've found, creating smaller scoped, Ai present, combat roles, as opposed to "World War II Online" scenarios have been very well received.

My two cents, the Developers must have assumed that WE, end users, would create new content like a house on fire, and that hasn't really happened yet.

However, when it does, and it will, you will see this product has hit it out of the park in terms of smaller, squadron and group gameplay, and "they will come".

No Doubt about it,

!S -Jupp- :wacko: 

Edited by Jupp
  • Upvote 3

The very last thing I want to see in this flight simulator, is a bunch of people on the forums complaining about tank damage models, "My panther was penetrated in one shot, Russian bias!/I couldn't even penetrate a panther, this game is bullshit!" .. Kind of like what happens in War Thunder.

+ 1

Yea but Il2:BOS is only one theater of operation. That means in a historical mission you will probably have only 2 maybe 3 at the max different types of tanks. That means better balancing.

The thing war thunder gets wrong is that they included too many planes and too many tanks which makes historical balance harder. 

There are bits and pieces of clues visible in some files indicating the devs might have had ideas about that, but I hope they have abandoned the idea, at least for the near future. Let's have a good complete WWII flight sim first, with the pacific, western and Mediterranean theaters. But that's just my opinion, I don't care much for tanks.

Il2: BOS is already a complete WW2 flight sim. There's literally nothing wrong with it. That's why they should include playable ground forces before moving on to another Theater of operation. 

I mean these are just my ideas. I love ww-2 infantry games..mind as well put it all into one game. 

Edited by Kuhnada

Yea but Il2:BOS is only one theater of operation. That means in a historical mission you will probably have only 2 maybe 3 at the max different types of tanks. That means better balancing.

The thing war thunder gets wrong is that they included too many planes and too many tanks which makes historical balance harder. 

If you want to play tanks play a tank game it's that easy. There are more advanced ones like Steal Beasts for people who want a tank sim.

If you want to play tanks play a tank game it's that easy. There are more advanced ones like Steal Beasts for people who want a tank sim.

I think you mean Steel Beasts.

for WW2 tank action, check out "Combat Mission".

A no vote for me on drivable ground vehicles. It's a waste of effort that could go into more actual flight sim content. Seriously nobody would use the ground vehicles because they'd be boring as heck compared to the planes.

Devs should keep AAA and flak AI-controlled, then implement human-controlled infantry and tanks onto maps. Infantry and tank objectives would be in the same area as pilot objectives. 

It would be like combining Red Orchestra with a full flight sim. Pilot gameplay would be completely separate from ground force gameplay. Infantry would have plenty to do killing infantry and tanks and defending objectives and tanks would have plenty to do by killing infantry and other tanks and destroying objectives. 

This would bring a lot more people into the game too. 

Edited by Kuhnada

I think you mean Steel Beasts.

for WW2 tank action, check out "Combat Mission".

Got every combat mission game it's not a tank sim.

Do you mean the graviteam sim?

To be honest I was thinking they could even add "ranks" for each player. For example tank players, pilots, and infantry players would each have a rank ( cadet, sergeant, lieutenant, etc. ) based on their experience and/or Kill:Death ratio. 

This is the most realistic WW2 experience you can have.

Edited by Kuhnada

The market for really boring games where you get to drive stuff is already dominated by this game here.

http://www.farming-simulator.com

Strafing and bombing human-controlled tanks and infantry is fun

Playing with AI is boring

Edited by Kuhnada

Hello Kuhnada,

The scope of BoS is limited but there are other theaters in the works such as Battle of Moscow and there will no doubt be others in the future although it will still remain a flight sim. I suppose you could add a ground dimension to the game; whether or not the devs are interested in doing something like that is altogether another matter. Blowing up human players driving tanks with my IL2? Might be fun :cool: .

Good hunting,

CFC_Conky

No, we don't want any more options. There is enough to do already. :lol:

To be honest I was thinking they could even add "ranks" for each player. For example tank players, pilots, and infantry players would each have a rank ( cadet, sergeant, lieutenant, etc. ) based on their experience and/or Kill:Death ratio.

This is the most realistic WW2 experience you can have.

I think you're letting your imagination get ahead of you with IL-2's flight engine, War Thunders tank engine, and Red Orchestra's FPS engine, all combined into one, would be epic, but not possible. Flight simulations are dying, this is one of 3 flight simulator franchises that keeps this niche in the air, in the air it shall remain!

Ranks would be really cool online and I am 99.9% sure it's possible to implement, but damn man again, this isn't War Thunder :P k/d is cancer in a flight simulators.

A full WW2 combat simulator, like a modern WW2 Online, with the same attention to detail and realism shown in BoS would be AWESOME!!! Too bad in reality it wouldn't be popular enough to be fun :(

A full WW2 combat simulator, like a modern WW2 Online, with the same attention to detail and realism shown in BoS would be AWESOME!!! Too bad in reality it wouldn't be popular enough to be fun :(

Yea it would. I think it would be popular. Tank sim lovers and Infantry-FPS lovers would play, just would have to put all the action in one area

Strafing and bombing human-controlled tanks and infantry is fun

Playing with AI is boring

Who's going to choose to drive a tank in multiplayer instead of flying a plane?

Nobody. So there's no point in providing this feature.

Edited by SharpeXB

Just to compare: in ATAG Cliffs of Dover server you can take control of tanks and I have yet to use more than one hand to count the amount of times I saw someone actually playing in them. AA's defenses are also playable and they are a lot more popular...

I dont think people would play tanks on a flight sim at all, yes there will be some people that plays them, but they are the exception. I would rather choose not have tanks and dedicate resources on improving other aspects of the sim.

Edited by istruba
  • Upvote 1

I still remember this tank tease from a year ago.

I don't expect it'll ever happen but the idea interests me a lot.

• Upvote 1

Flight simulations are dying

Exactly. That's why a full WW2-simulator is the answer. Tank simmers and FPSer's would come to this game. 

Who's going to choose to drive a tank in multiplayer instead of flying a plane?

Nobody. So there's no point in providing this feature.

;)

Many tanks "drivers" from Battleground Europe are now driving tanks in WT.

Edited by Sokol1

Will tanks be playable in this game in the near future?

I say that because I saw a video of devs driving tanks in a video a while ago so it's definitely possible. 

Adding human-playable tanks is going to put this game in a league of it's own. Even better if they would add human-controlled infantry for a full WW2-simulation experience.

I believe this is where War Thunder is headed

The whole grinding for EXP to get more planes and broken FM's/Dm's in War Thunder turns me off from the whole game. Coming from Il2:1946, War Thunder could never measure up to Il2's level of realism. 

There's no game out there that gets all three things right...and I think this is what a lot of people want.

Seeing as how Il2:BOS is only one Theater of Operation, this seems like a realistic dream to look forward to. 

WT may be headed towards becoming the next generation BF 1942..  I doubt that BoS will.. BoS needs to get some other things on the sim side straight before that is even considered.. but I doubt we will see it..  I cannot imagine a server with live pilots , infantry and tanks with high fidelity FMs, DM etc.. being anything but  a slideshow.

Devs should keep AAA and flak AI-controlled, then implement human-controlled infantry and tanks onto maps. Infantry and tank objectives would be in the same area as pilot objectives. 

It would be like combining Red Orchestra with a full flight sim. Pilot gameplay would be completely separate from ground force gameplay. Infantry would have plenty to do killing infantry and tanks and defending objectives and tanks would have plenty to do by killing infantry and other tanks and destroying objectives.

This would bring a lot more people into the game too. 

I doubt it... It would probably sound the death knell...

The best thing this team can do to bring more people into the sim is to add a few more options...  continue their plan to move forward with new content in the form of aircraft, objects and maps, continue to improve what is already here in terms of AI ,netcode etc..  and come up with a user friendly interface of some kind for user created missions which will be the lifeblood of this sim.. IL2 would not be around as it is today had  it not been for it's FMB.

Adding something like tanks and infantry would only complicate things further . Remember this is not a large team with unlimted resources..

That could be fun depending on how it is implemented.. but they need to focus on the sim side...

• Upvote 2

In my opinion BoS is not the right platform for an combined arms gameplay, especially talking about tanks. First of all the engine has been build for flight simulation needs which is sth very different from what you have in a tank game. War Thunder underwent radical changes as well before it could support ground forces.

Secomd issue is the the gameplay. BoS focuses on large scale battles with very few units on a big scale map. Incase of the tank driver this means ge has to drive far distances threw nomansland with little to no hostile encounters.

There's also the issue with spawning. WT uses bases or tight front spawnpoints which both is not really imagineable here in BoS.

Than comes the player count issue. Theres probably 3 times as many tank drivers out there for one sim pilot since tanks are acessible and more attractive for casual players as well. With the current player restrictions of 48 players this would mean that only 12 players were flying planes while all others battled in tanks leaving the air combat part close to non existing.

There is indeed evidence like sound files and controll shemes in the game indicating sth like this has or will be considered by the dev team, but as for now it's probably not going to happen.

Combined arms is fun and certainly adds value to the WW2 combat sim genre but as I said BoS is not the right platform for it as for now.

Edited by Stab/JG26_5tuka

Well, if you really want to turn the sim into some sort of xbox theme park production then yeah, tanks would be a good place to start I guess.  But as others have noted, maybe it would be a better idea to reject that sort of fanciful stuff and concentrate instead on the core business - delivering a highly realistic combat flight experience.  

Even introducing player controlled Flak would be a mistake in my view.  Fun features like Flak run the risk of turning the whole thing into a bit of a joke.  I'd rather that didn't happen.  

• Upvote 1

WT may be headed towards becoming the next generation BF 1942..  I doubt that BoS will.. BoS needs to get some other things on the sim side straight before that is even considered.. but I doubt we will see it..  I cannot imagine a server with live pilots , infantry and tanks with high fidelity FMs, DM etc.. being anything but  a slideshow.

Technology is developing quickly. I could see it being possible within a years time. 

Better technology could allow severs with 50 vs 50 players.

It's becoming more about playing with other humans and not Ai imho

Edited by Kuhnada

If I was designing the ultimate sim with more money than sense then I would love playable ground forces etc. Bit the fact is this is made by a sma team that can only just about get the flight sim side correct let alone any thing else. Maybe in year to come this will happen

Those 2 videos were released 3 years ago...I think technology is able to support it by now

Edited by Kuhnada

Kuhnada i understand you. IMO BoS is flight simulator - currently the best (only personal opinion  :) ). Your idea is good, but it has several drawbacks. It would be necessary to revise the graphic model tank to the level aircraft (IMO graphic models have not competition in this time), produce new animation, crew of the tank with next animations, new ballistics for tank guns, different characteristics of individual armor plates for different parts of tanks, new ammunition for guns and machine guns, completely new damage model for tanks, carrs etc etc etc etc etc. At the same distinction should be made heavy, medium and light tanks, their mobility on the battlefield, force, anti-aircraft weaponry ... Personally I think that it was not the happiest solution. Somewhat similar was promised in IL2: CLOD - and there it ended ingloriously. I think that if you want tanks/armoured cars, ideal is Red Orchestra: Battle of Stalingrad. In this game are tanks with modelled interiors and crews + infantry.

Finally: IL2: BOS is primarily focused on air combat simulation. And I hope to stay that way.

Edited by II./JG1_Baron