Bearcat

Mission Editor Request/Suggestions Thread.

Besides the much needed undo button, the ability to modify object properties (height, speed, etc) within a group without having to ungroup first would be very helpful.

• Upvote 1

Please let us add Soldiers as separate Objects  :salute:

Edit: Having versions of the static planes and other objects with crew Fixing/using said objects would be nice.

Edited by 19//SAG

It would be very nice if we can deduct directly some points to a "trigger: counter".  For exemple a trigger linked with a counter can ad 1 to the counter, or substract 1 to the counter. 

And a undo button would be nice to!

Just make it stable - PULEAAAAASE.

Where`s the fun in that??

Don`t you enjoy that moment when you lose an hour (at best!) work after it crashes randomly? :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Just make it stable - PULEAAAAASE.

Just making it accessible inside the game would be a huge leap forward.

Having to shut down the game, open the FMB, shut the FMB, and then open the game again, just to see if the incremental change you made to the mission is any good, is a ridiculous and inconvenient anachronism.

Granted, it's better than having to design the mission in DOS, but it's almost 2018. In-game FMB have existed for years and years.

• Upvote 1

Just making it accessible inside the game would be a huge leap forward.

Having to shut down the game, open the FMB, shut the FMB, and then open the game again, just to see if the incremental change you made to the mission is any good, is a ridiculous and inconvenient anachronism.

Granted, it's better than having to design the mission in DOS, but it's almost 2018. In-game FMB have existed for years and years.

Please no, I don't want to have to have to disable VR every time I use the editor. Keep them separate.

Please no, I don't want to have to have to disable VR every time I use the editor. Keep them separate.

I kind of understand, not being a VR type myself, but it is debatable if key game features should be made/kept inconvenient in order to let the VR users keep their headsets on or activated or whatever it is you people do.

Besides, as it is now, you have to "disable" the game itself to use the editor. That's less than optimal.

RRRRRrrrrrRRRRRRRrrrrrRRRRRRRrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Siren and lights as Gambit notices on the main page that Canada just posted in the Mission Editor Forum.

Now that I have you pulled over....

You do love that "anachronism" word I notice.

To be honest, the editor is the opposite of an anachronism...because there's never been an editor this powerful.

Sure there's been easier to use editors, but they were weak, pathetic, girly man editors.

That said it sure does crash a lot...and fixing that is all we can hope for.

• Upvote 2

RRRRRrrrrrRRRRRRRrrrrrRRRRRRRrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Siren and lights as Gambit notices on the main page that Canada just posted in the Mission Editor Forum.

Now that I have you pulled over....

You do love that "anachronism" word I notice.

To be honest, the editor is the opposite of an anachronism...because there's never been an editor this powerful.

Sure there's been easier to use editors, but they were weak, pathetic, girly man editors.

That said it sure does crash a lot...and fixing that is all we can hope for.

]

You a funny guy! :biggrin:

The anachronistic part of the FMB is that it is out of the game. That you have to turn the game off to use the FMB and turn the FMB off to use the game seems prehistoric. That contributes precisely nothing to making the FMB a fun and inviting part of the game.

And for my part, I happen like those weak, pathetic, girly man editors. At least I could build have fun building missions. This one is joylessly Byzantine.

But for your mission building happiness, I do hope it becomes stable. :)

Hi Devs:

Add more than one chart in the AF taxing. This would be useful in two-track AF, like Kalach. A chart could be assigned to one plane, and the other(another part of the AF) for another plane.

It would also be useful to circulate aircraft from other AF parking areas

For example, in the same menu of the chart, select which of the two alternatives of park-taxiing-take off and land will be assigned for the plane (associated with its location)

Hi Devs:

Add more than one chart in the AF taxing. This would be useful in two-track AF, like Kalach. A chart could be assigned to one plane, and the other(another part of the AF) for another plane.

It would also be useful to circulate aircraft from other AF parking areas

For example, in the same menu of the chart, select which of the two alternatives of park-taxiing-take off and land will be assigned for the plane (associated with its location)

You can do it, but you have to use 2 airfields. One for each runway.

Please fix the frequent ME crashes.

There are three basic scenarios in which it crashes and shouldn't:

1. Linking an object or target and missing the object when clicking (clicking near one but not actually on one). It doesn't happen 100% of the times.
  2. Copy pasting. If by any chance the program hasn't finished copying when you hit paste, it will usually crash.
  3. Closing the editor also crashes the program. If you have saved it it's not a big deal but still annoying.

I'm not asking for a fully developed ME, but just fleshing out some of the basic crashes would go a long way.

Edited by Jade_Monkey

When reading a file, if an error is detected, please tell me the line number.  As simple as "Error reading file at line 310,221" instead of "Error reading file"

I know it's been a bit flogged, but as someone who has just recently sunk my teeth into the editor please, can we get an undo button?!

• Upvote 1

I know it's been a bit flogged, but as someone who has just recently sunk my teeth into the editor please, can we get an undo button?!

:drinks:

Save and then save again and then create a save-as back up...

The killer for me is when I've pasted in a group or template and then move the whole lot because I forgot to deselect them. I've done this with groups consisting of all the cities and bridges, etc. Every time, I wish there was a revolver in a desk draw I could reach for ...

The killer for me is when I've pasted in a group or template and then move the whole lot because I forgot to deselect them. I've done this with groups consisting of all the cities and bridges, etc. Every time, I wish there was a revolver in a desk draw I could reach for ...

Haha I`m glad it`s not just me. I`ve done this too many times to even remember.

Literally this already a few times. I've gotten in the habit of making many versions while working on it already which mitigates it.

A command that would be able to check if an entity is a Player(Human / Humans) or an AI,  especially in Multiplayer environment.

Edited by II./JG1_Kadin

Request : Please would it be possible to have the time of an object reaching a waypoint included in the waypoint text or advanced properties box.

Reason: To enable mission builders to co-ordinate group interactions with less need for the mission to be repeatedly tested  multiple times to achieve the builders objective.Thanks

Outcome :A great reduction in mission building times :ie:Time saved would enable more missions to be built .

Request : Please would it be possible to have the time of an object reaching a waypoint included in the waypoint text or advanced properties box.

Reason: To enable mission builders to co-ordinate group interactions with less need for the mission to be repeatedly tested  multiple times to achieve the builders objective.Thanks

Outcome :A great reduction in mission building times :ie:Time saved would enable more missions to be built .

FYI, you can find the elapsed time from the start of a route to each point on the route, given the desired airspeed, by using the "Route Time" field in any plane object. For details, see "Find Distance and Flight Time for a Route in the View Port" on pg. 18 of the editor manual.

Note: There is an error in step 3 of the "Route Time" documentation on pg. 214. The "T" value should read "T – Time (in minutes) from the start of the route to the current point."

Here's a sample:

post-12622-0-52834800-1516153761_thumb.png

Edited by JimTM
  • Upvote 2

FYI, you can find the elapsed time from the start of a route to each point on the route, given the desired airspeed, by using the "Route Time" field in any plane object. For details, see "Find Distance and Flight Time for a Route in the View Port" on pg. 18 of the editor manual.

Note: There is an error in step 3 of the "Route Time" documentation on pg. 214. The "T" value should read "T – Time (in minutes) from the start of the route to the current point."

Here's a sample:

attachicon.gifRouteTime.png

Hi,thanks for the quck response.

I placed a plane besides moving ground objects in the view port and set the ground speed for the calculation ,then traced the road route to target which gave me the eta .

where can i find the new edition of the editor manual ?

9-5-2018 8-58-28 PM.jpg

From your lips to the gaming gods ears. 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dog1 said:

where can i find the new edition of the editor manual ?

On my PC...awaiting additions to the edition that you're wishin' would be linked in this position.   :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

JIM TM

Does this sim have a basic Dynamic campaign template like what CFS2 had ? It was a tree type where you added the missions and you moved down depending on how you set the dynamics and difficulties , for example mission 1 goes down and can go left or right  into so many slots at random and so on if successful or even if not and so on . It was very easy to set up .  

I don't think so. I know it has a scripted campaign system, where you follow the missions in sequence.

3 hours ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

If not ask for already, a clear timer and clear counter mcu are really needed.

The counter has a "reset after operation" check box.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:41 PM, Gambit21 said:

The counter has a "reset after operation" check box.

Understood, but quite often I find I need to pause a routine that is going on to see the results of something else going on.  Depending on that result, I may want to continue the routine, or start the routine over, which now is quite impossible, because we can not  clear timers and counters.

Would really appreciate some blank landscape tiles, like we see in village areas, but not have them all with trees.   Getting tired of placing factories in fields because on no where else to place them.  Have migrated to removing some blocks from a village, and placing industrial objects there.  It does make the bomber boys have to pay more attention to what they are doing if they don't want to kill women and children, but still unavoidable to have trees growing out of some buildings.

factories.jpg

The editor folder and its' files are indeed in the games bin folder.:salute:

editor.JPG

Edited by Thad
  • Thanks 1

I've been using the mission editor for a month, here are some asks from a newer user:

1. An undo button. Yes, everyone asks for it, but when I get my left or right click-and-drag wrong and move an entire group by accident, it's a real bummer to have to go back to most-recently-saved.
  2. Better options for filtering things on the map. I'd actually like to totally hide even the lines of my non-working group.
  3. Better ways to navigate among groups. A shortcut key for "reset working group" would be nice, and I think other people have mentioned maybe a double click to set a group as active.
  4. Better ways to reorganize objects among groups. At the moment I have to carefully plan my groups before I even open the editor, and I always end up forgetting something and having a weird set of groups in the left nav bar. I'd like to be able to move objects between groups and reorder groups in the left hand pane.
  5. Built-in high performance versions of commonly used community-provided MCUs. For example, "defensive zone that activates surrounding friendly units while enemies are detected in the zone, automatically deactivates friendly units when enemies are no longer detected, and that only runs its checks every X seconds to save CPU" would be awesome.
  6. If #5 is too difficult, maybe just a modification to some of the more expensive MCUs so they still do their jobs but only run every X seconds. For example there is a community-provided check zone that only actually checks for 500ms every 10 seconds, using about 5% of the CPU. Having a "check delay" on the MCU (defaults to no delay, doesn't break existing maps) would be wonderful.
  7. Better support for single-PC edit-and-test cycle. Running both the editor and the game causes graphical weirdness or plain broken behavior. This makes an edit-save-quit-editor-load-game-load-map-test cycle much longer than it needs to be. Map making would be much more productive if we could reliably run both the game and the editor on the same PC.
  8. Logging facilities that save debug text messages into a log file that the map maker can look at (probably with timestamp and object that created the message). At the moment I am using subtitles at the bottom of the screen for debugging, and (when I'm eventually done with a mission) will either delete or unlink all of them.
  • Upvote 1

Ahh...a dreamer.

#5 is already easy to do with existing logic. So is #6 for that matter, but completely unnecessary. CPU usage is inconsequential.

3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Ahh...a dreamer.

#5 is already easy to do with existing logic. So is #6 for that matter, but completely unnecessary. CPU usage is inconsequential.

Haha, I love to dream 😉

Is CPU usage on a check zone really inconsequential? I'm sure it's irrelevant for single player but I'm focused on multiplayer and have heard a lot of scare stories about CPU usage and so on. It's kind of hard to really understand the things that would knacker performance with a few dozen player planes flying around.

Oh, yeah MP is a bit different in this regard.

Still you can have a handful active from what I understand. I’m not the best source for info on MP performance though.

You can ask Coconut for a somewhat definitive number.

• Like 1

I think most people need not worry about the cost of check zones. My case is a bit special, as scripted mission generation tends to make it easy to generate 1000 times more stuff than you would manually.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The ability to spawn Formations would imho be a game changer for Mission Builders.

As would the ability to activate and deactivate groups.

Edited by WWSitttingDuck
  • Upvote 1

On 2/16/2019 at 2:39 PM, WWSitttingDuck said:

The ability to spawn Formations would imho be a game changer for Mission Builders.

Yes. And also doing away with the functionality that if two objects have been spawned from the same spawner, destroying one object will destroy the other too.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:39 AM, WWSitttingDuck said:

You can do that by "activating" instead of using the spawn MCU.

Is there a performance penalty for using activate?