Map of Stalingrad in web-browser

NobbyNobbs

Thanks for creating this Nobbs! This is an awesome tool!

One suggesting regarding the wind correction: Sokol has explained how to do a proper wind and groundspeed calculation. However, many times we are too lazy to do this. In those cases, if we at least know how the wind blows, we can still make a rough guesstimate and adjust our heading and times by rule of thumb. 

To help with this, I'd like to suggest the following additions to the map tool:

post-14246-0-56740400-1421531525_thumb.jpg

The pilot would enter wind direction and speed into the fields, and hit the wind button to display a wind arrow on the map. The wind direction could be a dropdown, with the typical wind direction that we have in BoS, ie.: N, NNW, NW, WNW, W, WSW, SW, SSW, S, SSE, SE, ESE, E, ENE, NE, NNE.

TG-55Panthercules

+1 for sure

I think something like a wind arrow capability would be a great addition - that's something I always manually write on my maps in RoF (the ones I do with an editable pdf map file on my iPad), and I've missed being able to do it with this tool.  

This would really add a finishing touch to what's already a really neat tool!

-NW-ChiefRedCloud

Chief - did you unzip the whole "Ruler" folder, or just the newmap.html file?  The first time, I did the latter, and got what you showed.  But when I unzipped the whole "Ruler" folder  and then created a shortcut to the newmap.html file, it opened up and worked just fine.

Also, what browser are you using?

Sorry for the delay Panther .... all of it .....

This tool is great and should be integrated somehow into the sim. It's similar to the map tools available in Cliffs of Dover. See this video ......

I like Andy's suggestion too ...

Chief

Edited by -NW-ChiefRedCloud

-NW-ChiefRedCloud

The more this progresses, the more I like it. Thanks for you hard work. And thanks to everyone else for their ideas and contributions for this. It sure helps me find my way around all that snow better.

Chief

Hi guys.

Few new options:

- Now possible to draw separate paths. For finish current path and start next you should click on the end of latest arrow.

- Possible to set unique speed for each path segment. For that you should click on center of section (before editing better to switch off drawing tool).

- On arrow's label added information about planned speed on segment.

Also I was forced to change structure of saving data, so your old data will no work with that version.

online link.

and download

post-14111-0-77638100-1422131919_thumb.png

• Upvote 2

Look for the possibility of integrate this tool:

Hi.

It's possible but I have no desire to do it. In my opinion "all calculations in one tool" it's a wrong way.

TG-55Panthercules

Hi.

It's possible but I have no desire to do it. In my opinion "all calculations in one tool" it's a wrong way.

Hey Nobby - I understand your thoughts about not integrating another tool into this one, and I tend to agree with the concept.  I hope that doesn't mean you won't consider the other suggestion above, about just adding a way for the player to manually place a wind direction and speed marker on the map.  No calculations or effect on anything else the tool is doing - just a way of noting the wind direction and speed from the mission briefing on the map so it will be there as easy reference while flying the mission.  I always draw that on my maps in RoF (the ones I used before your tool came along, which were just editable .pdf files), and it would be great to be able to do the same thing with this cool tool as well.

BTW - I loaded up your new version and have been trying it out.  Love the ability to plot multiple, independent paths (used it to create a neat little star chart type thing with headings/distances back to my home airfield from various recognizable landmarks I might stumble across while I'm lost).  Also love the ability to put different speeds on individual legs, especially since in the bombers speeds seem to be higher on the way back once the load has been dumped.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules

Hello,

As said great tool.

Fotr wind indication it is possible to use annotation. It is not clean but can help. See image.

post-10230-0-27116900-1422264598_thumb.jpg

use path . pencil.

It would be great if we could edit all the annotations in the path indicator in this case.

Just my idea

Have fun

• 2 weeks later...

My friend and I have been using the Ruler map for some time now. We really like it. Problem is that it is not online anymore. Anyone has a link to this great tool for BOS? 

Next time I will download it. 

Problem solved. Found it and downloaded it.   :)

Hello

This is very useful tool to plan flight mission.

Right now we use it in a our squadron's server and

to multiplayer it would be more useful if all players could see

other's plan.

TG-55Panthercules

Yep. Something changed in google drive's hosting. Main file can't connect to external javascript files anymore.

:(

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/drive/file-and-folder-sharing/tCqOUiIfok0

Yeah - I just checked all of my versions (BoS and the RoF maps) and none of them are working now either - looks like Google has broken something recently, as noted in that thread on Google's forums.

TG-55Panthercules

It's working again.

Cool - it's working for me again as well.

One thing I noticed while testing to see if it was working again - is there any way to erase/delete the "mark current position" icon once you've placed it?  I tried the eraser and the undo last waypoint  buttons but could not figure out how to get rid of that position marker (other than to click it again somewhere way off the screen so it seems to disappear but really doesn't).

One thing I noticed while testing to see if it was working again - is there any way to erase/delete the "mark current position" icon once you've placed it?  I tried the eraser and the undo last waypoint  buttons but could not figure out how to get rid of that position marker (other than to click it again somewhere way off the screen so it seems to disappear but really doesn't).

oops.. i broke it when changing some code, sorry.
you should replace one file in ruler folder and eraser will work again.

map.zip

~S~   Nobby,

Would you allow me to re-zip the map with the .corrected file and post it onto our BoS Facebook Group?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/168286500028142/

Credit to you, for your great work on this, of course. It is very innovative and useful, and should be shared!

I thank you!

~S~!

No problem.

You can share it or host it on you website. 

Also you can share it using link from post #89. I replace wrong file in archive.

~S~ Nobby,

Thanks much! I re-zipped it, as "BoS Mappage" for now...

I'm getting a little ahead of myself in the true excitement, of something very, very, useful to share there.

It could also use a proper "Read-Me" .txt file inclusion in the future, even though it's nearly self-explanatory.

It has been a greater part of my experience online, teaching "newby's" and late comers about these sim-things.

Again, thank you for your time in creating it, and for allowing me to host it for others to have a wider access to it.

~S~ !

Edited by Jupp

TG-55Panthercules

Hey Nobby - thanks for the updated file - it now seems to work fine with my BoS map.

Unfortunately, all my other copies (with the RoF maps) seem to be outdated and/or broken now :(

I was hoping that it was as simple as copying the entire, working BoS map version and just substituting the relevant Rofmapname.html file for the newmap.html file in the working BoS version, but that doesn't seem to work.

Is there some simple way for me to take care of updating my RoF versions/copies to match what you've been doing to improve the BoS version, or is that something I'd have to keep asking you to do?  (I'm thankful for you doing this for BoS and I don't want to impose on you by asking you to maintain these other versions as well).

I was hoping that it was as simple as copying the entire, working BoS map version and just substituting the relevant Rofmapname.html file for the newmap.html file in the working BoS version, but that doesn't seem to work.

When I made "multipath" for BOS map, I was forced to change lot of rows in scripts, therefore trick with replacing will not work. Strictly speaking it's different apps now.
I hope that some day I can beat my laziness and update maps for ROF. But first I want add marker for wind direction. 

TG-55Panthercules

When I made "multipath" for BOS map, I was forced to change lot of rows in scripts, therefore trick with replacing will not work. Strictly speaking it's different apps now.
I hope that some day I can beat my laziness and update maps for ROF. But first I want add marker for wind direction. 

Thanks for the info/update.  I hope you can manage to update your support for the RoF maps, though since I still have my earlier alternative way of dealing with the RoF maps on my iPad it's not a big deal (for me) if this lags a bit.  I was hoping that essentially all the "code" for the functionality could be basically "map agnostic", such that maybe there could be one set of files/folders for the basic functionality that would work regardless of which map one was using, so it would be easy to keep all the different versions up to date by keeping just the map-specific files/folders and replacing just the map-agnostic files/folders whenever the functionality changes.

But, not having any idea how to code any of this stuff, I was just speculating about what might be possible.

Looking forward to whatever improvements you have up your sleeve, whenever you can get around to them.   :salute:

I was hoping that essentially all the "code" for the functionality could be basically "map agnostic", such that maybe there could be one set of files/folders for the basic functionality that would work regardless of which map one was using, so it would be easy to keep all the different versions up to date by keeping just the map-specific files/folders and replacing just the map-agnostic files/folders whenever the functionality changes.

But, not having any idea how to code any of this stuff, I was just speculating about what might be possible.

You're completely right. Everything should be the same. But maps have differences, therefore some unique parameters should be determined for each map. And sometimes easier to make 4 copies of code with little differences than one but universal. But only the first time. Then, when you modernize one, you should change all other... And then you think: holy crap i have no desire to change another 3 copies  :biggrin:

Well... I'm added the wind indicator (it's ugly but i don't know how make it better) and compiled all maps in one pack. Yep. One universal code for all maps. Better late than never  :lol:

download ~110 MB (it's fat because include images for 4 maps).

God bless you Nobby.  Your tool is just what the doctor ordered.  Thank you so much.  If I was having a first born, I'd name him after you.

If I was having a first born, I'd name him after you.

:biggrin:

Bad idea ))

One guy already found some mistakes in app.
I fixed it and made the small "patch". Put archive inside FatRuler folder and unzip it with confirming of replacing existing files.

patch.zip

71st_AH_Hooves

Great tool! this is sort of what I was getting at using Google mas overlays.  But thi sis much more simple and specific!  Question.  Is the Map bearing in True or Mag?  And for that matter what is the compass in the aircraft using true or Mag?   Also is there anyway to incorporate a windage calc in your settings?  

Is the Map bearing in True or Mag?  And for that matter what is the compass in the aircraft using true or Mag?

Hi. I'm not sure that I understand your question correctly. If you mean magnetic deviation - this is not modelled in game.

Also is there anyway to incorporate a windage calc in your settings?
Technically it's possible, but I don't want to do it. I know that some guys before flight calculates true airspeed and corrections for wind, fly with stopwatch after that and it give them fun. I don't want to break this part of gameplay.
Perhaps later I'll add option for manual correcting course value like I did it for speed value.

Well... I'm added the wind indicator (it's ugly but i don't know how make it better) and compiled all maps in one pack. Yep. One universal code for all maps. Better late than never  :lol:

NobbyNobbs,

Besides the 8 cardinal directions include in your map tool BoS for wind direction, the weather generator use other intermediate directions:

Example (QM):

South-Southeast  - for wind come from 154

West by North - for 276

Northeast by East - for 58

West by North - for 277

North by West - for 343

N NbyE NNE NEbyN NE NEbyE ENE EbyN

0 11.25 22.5 33.75 45 56.25 67.5 78.75

E  - EbyS ESE SEbyE SE SEbyE SSE SbyE

90 101.25 112.5 123.75 135 146.25 157.5 168.75  

S   - SbyW SSW SWbyS SW SWbyW WSW WbyS

180 191.25 202.5 213.75 225 236.25 247.5 258.75  

W  - WbyN WNW NWbyW NW NWbyN NNW NbyW

270 281.25 292.5 303.75 315 326.25 337.5 348.75  

Edited by Sokol1

TG-55Panthercules

Hey Nobby - just D/L'ed and tried your new (patched) version - got it uploaded to my Google Drive and it seems to work just fine.  Thanks for updating this for all the current BoS and RoF maps.  The new wind marker is cool - I'm not sure if the limited choices of wind directions matches the choices the game uses for specifying wind direction, but since I was basically just marking an arrow in the right general direction on my maps with my other method I suspect just using the prescribed set of directions should be "close enough" for this purpose.  (Although having the extra intermediate choices, like NNE, ENE, ESE, SSE, etc. would be cool too).

Super work - thanks again!

Outstanding work Nobby! I really appreciate the effort you put in to make this work :salute:

Edited by Lister_of_Smeg

• 2 weeks later...

Totally excellent stuff. Before this tool I struggled to find Stalingrad taking off from Shkolniy, but now I might even be slightly more of a terror to the enemy forces than to my own.