Y-29.Silky

DCS: Bf109 K-4

Do yourself a favor and ditch the Steam version. Download and install the free "DCS World" version from ED, use the integrated module manager, then activate each module with the serial number(s) from Steam. Finally get JGSME for the mods.

Quoted for emphasis...

Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but what's wrong with the Steam version? From what LukeFF said, the issue I posted was just Steam and not DCS (bizarre timing, I'll overlook that for now), so what about DCS world without Steam makes it superior?

There's nothing wrong with the steam version of DCS, but the Steam client seems to have problems with you altering the DCS files. If you ditch Steam, it won't be able to interfere when you want to install mods.

There's nothing wrong with the steam version of DCS, but the Steam client seems to have problems with you altering the DCS files. If you ditch Steam, it won't be able to interfere when you want to install mods.

Ah, I see.

I was worried it was the usual Steam dislike (i.e. it's-not-the-old-way-of-buying-games-so-it's-bad), but if it interferes with mods, that makes sense.

Here in AK we have data caps on our Internet (don't even get me started on that), so I'll wait until next month to re-download everything sans Steam.

Thanks for all the info as always, everyone :).

I hear you on the data caps, try using JSGME with your steam DCS install and see if the mods work that way.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

Thank you for being so helpful :).

I will give JSGME a shot shortly. I just bought the MiG-21 today and I'm in awe of it. It's just so well done. Landing it feels just like landing the T-38!

If one thing I like about dcs judging from the screens and clips it's defo the cockpit quality (what I miss most in BoS).

• Upvote 1

If one thing I like about dcs judging from the screens and clips it's defo the cockpit quality (what I miss most in BoS).

Agreed.

Nice video chuck, however I seem to have lost interest due to the interface and setting up my controllers. I have all WW2 planes , but not yet downloaded the 109.

I am in a period of no interest in flightsims what so ever it seems.

Thx for sharing

I'd say give it a go, at least for the study aspect of the sim. Flying it around is the most fun I've had in a while with DCS. But for actual A-A combat, no way, not since I started playing BOS. I'm sick and tired of the visibility of other planes, the AI using an arcade FM and the atrocious damage modeling.

Visability and rendering of planes are a problem in COD too. It will be sorted out eventually. Main reason for me to fly BOS is that I am simply fed up with COD atm. I am not saying COD is in any way worse or bad. It is just like BOS too narrow to do everyday for a year.

All sims got its weaknesses , and my strategy is simply dividing my time between cod, Bos and DCS so I do not get fed up with any of them. 

nd I haven't yet even started playing Rise of Flight!!!

I suggest playing RoF next weekend. Last saturday and sunday evening, there were like 65 people on one server + around 15 players on the deathmatch server.

Edited by Calvamos

DCS aircraft are undoubtedly in a league of their own. Their cockpits are superbly modeled.

Unfortunately where DCS fails and fails miserably, in my opinion, is the theaters. The same map for EVER. A promise of the NTTR map since the beta of the A-10c. Now we have a promise of the Straight of Hormuz, how long before that sees the light of day? EDGE has been in the works for years, every year it's "planned release is the end of the year" never happens. 

The kickstarter promised the map SDK, You can call Ilya what you like but that guy knows that user made content helps in the longevity of any sim. Especially a sim where the developers pride themselves in taking forever and an age to release anything. I bought into the Kickstarter because of the SDK. I wasn't too bothered about the aircraft. I wanted the SDK to open up new theatres. Now it looks like the SDK is only for EDs partners and a select few. I'm disappointed to say the least and feel a little cheated over the whole thing. I still fly the P-51 but the spotting is an issue. performance is an issue, online is an issue, player numbers are an issue. so many issues right now. Hopefully the mythical EDGE will solve a lot of the issues. It wont, however, solve the limited number of theatres. We will still be left to wonder where and when the developers will let us fly 10 years from now.

• Upvote 1

DCS aircraft are undoubtedly in a league of their own. Their cockpits are superbly modeled.

Unfortunately where DCS fails and fails miserably, in my opinion, is the theaters. The same map for EVER. A promise of the NTTR map since the beta of the A-10c. Now we have a promise of the Straight of Hormuz, how long before that sees the light of day? EDGE has been in the works for years, every year it's "planned release is the end of the year" never happens. 

The kickstarter promised the map SDK, You can call Ilya what you like but that guy knows that user made content helps in the longevity of any sim. Especially a sim where the developers pride themselves in taking forever and an age to release anything. I bought into the Kickstarter because of the SDK. I wasn't too bothered about the aircraft. I wanted the SDK to open up new theatres. Now it looks like the SDK is only for EDs partners and a select few. I'm disappointed to say the least and feel a little cheated over the whole thing. I still fly the P-51 but the spotting is an issue. performance is an issue, online is an issue, player numbers are an issue. so many issues right now. Hopefully the mythical EDGE will solve a lot of the issues. It wont, however, solve the limited number of theatres. We will still be left to wonder where and when the developers will let us fly 10 years from now.

+1

Love the P-51 in DCS but the map and lack of immersion, lack of pilots just kills it. Oh and the runways with modern vehicles, aircraft is another downer

Interesting side topic - multi-sims.  For a long time I limited myself to CLoD and BOS.  But the last DCS sale I weakened and bought the P51D, FW190 Dora and Sabre.   The P51 is nice to fly and I would say forgiving.  The Dora is a bit more challenging but it is my favourite at the moment.  Although i have many hours up on flight sims, the DCS flight model is definitely more detailed.  In fact it motivated me to do some research on flying taildraggers (Google taildragger).   You have to pay more attention to slip, especially when landing.  I'm having a lot of fun just learning to take-off, land and basic aerobatics.  Even small details like climbing behaviour are modelled.

So it is bye-bye CLoD.  I still think it is a great game but I only have sufficient time for two flight sims.  Like other posters I think the visibility in BOS is superior to the other two.  And I would certainly recommend BOS as a place to start for the WW2 aviation newbie.  If you want to improve your BOS flight technique get a DCS WW2 plane.   I'm still working my way through the BOS campaign and have high hope for the mission builder down the track.  

I agree with a lot of what you're saying; I think this is a very fair critique of the current state of DCS. Despite all that, however, it's still the game (or sim, for anyone keeping track) I find myself playing most at the moment. 

I think it ultimately comes down to this:

BOS has superior map graphics (even if it is all just snow) and the potential to be more immersive. Everything is there, in one convenient game, to recreate the time period it strives to simulate. I say potential mostly because the SP campaign is somewhat lacking (many factors, let's not debate that here) and the community as a whole doesn't have access to the FMB yet. MP can be hit or miss.

DCS has a dated and -- more importantly -- very limited map. It also is so widespread over history that immersion can be lacking. However, the cockpits are gorgeous (both to look at and interact with), the flight modeling IS more accurate (I've debated this ad nauseum), and, if you're like me, a great deal of immersion can be derived from simply getting intimately familiar with each aircraft, because the incredible level of detail in this sim allows you to do that. A 200 page manual for the Mustang is seriously impressive, as is the 200 pager for the MiG-21. 

Both have excellent exterior aircraft models, and both are fun.

This has been mentioned many times by others, so there's no surprises. I figured I'd just pile onto your comments to provide further insight for anyone considering DCS as a fun addition to BOS.

One last thing, however -- I think we're going to see a huge jump in the fun and immersion of DCS with the introduction of the MiG-15. People have been dying for a successor to MiG Alley for a long time, and DCS has many of the tools to make it fun and immersive (for a change). You'll finally have two jets (with PFM and ASM, thank goodness) pitted against each other that were not only huge historical rivals, but also very fairly matched. The P-51 can still participate as well, and at the rate that DCS is expanding with aircraft now given third party involvement, I think there's a ton of potential for Korea. And even if the map isn't perfect, there's no doubt in my mind that talented mission builders will still make you "feel there." One of the most immersive single player campaigns I ever played (and I typically really don't like single player) was a Battle of Britain campaign, flying 109E7s against Hurricanes over some Russian map. It was a fantastic campaign, even though the game (I think we were still just on "Forgotten Battles" back then) was missing many aircraft, units, and a proper map to be considered "immersive" by many.

The same could be said for Vietnam, if we ever get an F-4. 

Guest deleted@30725
I picked up the DCS 109 over xmas because I wanted to get the feeling of 'being there' and operating one 'myself'

Quick pros and cons starting with the good of the module.

GOOD

The 109 feels like a complete monster at first. The k-4 cockpit is wonderfully horribly cluttered like the real version, but sitting at the screen immersed you completely feel like your about to take a real 109 for a spin. You feel really involved and almost everything can be done by clicking the cockpit. (Except oddly, taking the safety button off the trigger) It has to be said you feel like a civilian taking out their private plane for some wargames rather than a fighter pilot in ww2. But then dcs is all about the plane.

A distinct lack of rubber banding! 109s in BOS feel like they are tethered to a central piece of elastic that has them ping from side to side. DCS 109 feels more natural and there is a wonderful amount of fine tuning you can do to the input to make it feel just right for your joystick.

Taking off is really hard to begin with and landings may take several times before you end up down in one piece. This is good and accurate to real life. Being able to talk to the tower, go out on a mission, drop some bombs, land and re-arm for another run is pretty awesome. 

Once in the air flying is good. Dogfighting with a p51 (with labels on. Spotting and such) is a real blast and you can make battles that feel epic.

BAD STUFF

Wing breaking - it takes a lot to break the wings in bos, but on the other hand you can limp home missing two wing ends in DCS. Which sim is right? I've no idea :/ But watching your plane in DCS limp home on fire and not degrade does smash the realism a bit.

Theatre of war. For the most part you'll spend your time flying the 109 because you love the 109 making fictional missions vs the AI which can be entertaining. A lot of imagination is required and make no bones you have to love the aircraft you buy to keep playing as overall it's quite a shallow experience beyond the plane. This is a study sim make no mistake. It's for nerds and enthusiasts who want to play with the 109 like they'll never be able to. CONTRADICTION - it's actually sometimes nice to jump into DCS playing a custom mission with the newest tech sitting around going mano el mano vs similar planes or taking out tankers and lightly armed ships. It's almost nice not to feel like you're in ww2 although a desert map would breath huge life into the sim.

And then damage as said.

OVERALL

I'm loving the ww2 planes in DCS. The 109 is exactly the 109 simulation I was looking for and I can forgive it for feeling dated in the damage department and special effects. I love flying in BOS. It's a far more jump in and shoot things type of experience and there is more atmosphere created by the visuals. I can also fly without lables on in BOS which adds to the realism. Once past the stupid unlocks there is also more toys to play with on the actual 109s, not to mention the other fantastic planes that come with the game - shame the dlc does not feel worth the price.

FUTURE

We can look forward to more ww2 planes. A highly accurate spitfire is on the cards for 2015 and I'm rather looking forward to that. In a sale of course.

I realize this an old post, but I'm new to IL-2 and was curious about the K-4 unlock.   Nothing shows up when I search for IL-2 in steam.  It looks like folks buy the DCS version and that somehow makes the K-4 available in IL-2? 

DCS is unaffiliated with IL-2. Buying the DCS K4 will be available in DCS only. Buying IL-2 Battle of Bodenplatte will include the 109 K4 in IL-2. 

I see "Note: On Steam, customers must first purchase Battle of Stalingrad if they wish to purchase Battle of Bodenplatte" but BoBP doesn't appear on Steam.  Can I purchase it from1C and still access those aircraft on Steam?

21 hours ago, Barley said:

I see "Note: On Steam, customers must first purchase Battle of Stalingrad if they wish to purchase Battle of Bodenplatte" but BoBP doesn't appear on Steam.  Can I purchase it from1C and still access those aircraft on Steam?

On steam the base game is Stalingrad. I bought Stalingrad on steam but have bought everything else from this webstore. So yes, purchasing from 1C works for your steam install.