Arfsix

Open Letter to Devs

Now that I know the game only costs $12 in Russia I have started looking for property in Moscow.  

Its a question of fair play, isnt it?

I'm happy the devs are not sitting hopeless. They do their business and if that 500RUB starter edition brings some cash into the game we all will profit over time. Don't be upset by the fact some people are getting the game cheaper. It's cheaper only if you calculate amount of money. If you assume amount of work needed to make this money you'll get different results. Also I do not care how much work/money is needed to buy a PC game in Russia. It's bellow the treshold of my interest.

Edited by Rumcajs

So, everything is ok.

I didn't say that did I?

I've complained about unlocks, I've complained that we need larger formations/more activity in the campaign...and other things I won't bother typing again.

As far as how much some guy in Russia pays for the game - yeah I've got other things to devote my energy to.

If you see that as a productive use of your time and energy - have at it.

Its a question of fair play, isnt it?

That's what I told the guy trying to sell me a watered down beer for $8 at a recent hockey game.  He just laughed at me.  Sort of like how I'm laughing at you right now.

What principle would that be?

Not understanding capitalism.

Still no answer to OP from Dev(s)

I agree with the poster in a few ways...

BUT...

It's the end of the week.

If he really wanted an answer from the devs he would have waited 'til Monday.

Originally published in the following topic:

As Founders, Have we served our Purpose ?

Trupobaw

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:04

I don't believe 1cg has a single agenda at this moment, or direction, except maybe agreeing to disagree; there seem to be different, not fully compatibile visions. Notice that Jason said that 500 rubel version was not his call - so at least when Russian market is concerned, other people can bypass him.

IIRC BoS was developed in partnership with some Russian institutions, including a Russian society promoting military history? I suspect the cheap, accessible version for Russian market may be ordered by them, to promote awareness of Stalingrad battle in Russia or something to that tune. If some partner in Russia wants Russians to play that game, I wouldn't be surprised if 1cg was given a compensation on top of each 12$ they officially sell a copy for. It's thanks to such a deal that we can buy Ilya Muromets for 20$, right?

So, back on OPs question, I believe answer varies depending on whom in 1cg you ask.

Treading on thin ice here...

Why are there unlocks?  Here is your answer. 

S! Trupobaw.  I thought I was the only one who knew this. ;)    Think about it - 1C lost $millions on Cliffs.  Why the hell would they shovel even more cash into the black hole that is flight sim development?

Could it be the 'Russian Military Historical Society' are helping to fund this?  After all, they commissioned Ilya Mamourets development.  Wonder where a historical society get the large amounts of cash to fund software development?

Lets see...ah yes, the chairman of the Russian military historical society also happens to be the Russian Minister of Culture in Putin's government.

Remember what Loft said about wanting to tell the story of Stalingrad?

Variable pricing in different markets has been around for many years.  Nothing new.  

No profit on BOS, no followup title.

WW2 flight simmers should be hoping that 777 can make BOS a commercial success.

Pointless bleating will not change commercial reality.  Products on the international market have always been priced according to what the market can accept.

• Upvote 2

Same rules for all

There are differences around the world. It may be impossible for many Russians to spend 100$ on a game. If 777 offers a game for 500 RUB they may actually maximize their income. They spend the money they make on next development. Well they take some profit but their income influences investments quite a lot. So if they max their income we are gonna profit too. It's not all black and white. Also the rate of exchange is 1:50 now so it's 10$ atm. But for them (the Russians) it's still 500. Believe me, for many of them it's more value than 100$ for you.

• Upvote 1

There are differences around the world. It may be impossible for many Russians to spend 100$ on a game. If 777 offers a game for 500 RUB they may actually maximize their income. They spend the money they make on next development. Well they take some profit but their income influences investments quite a lot. So if they max their income we are gonna profit too. It's not all black and white. Also the rate of exchange is 1:50 now so it's 10$ atm. But for them (the Russians) it's still 500. Believe me, for many of them it's more value than 100$ for you.

Rly? LOL

It isn't.

What do I care what some guy in Russia pays for the game? How does that affect my life?

Don't get me wrong, I can see why someone might go "wait a minute"....but that's as far as it would get with me.

Its' beyond my control, it doesn't, affect how my game runs. Just too many other things going in in actual 'life' for me to devote any energy to it.

That's just me - I'm not calling you wrong for feeling otherwise.

Maby you don't mind paying 100$ for a 10$ game but clearly there are a lot of people who does.

Besides, afaik, 10$ for a game in Russia is still only about 1/3 of an average game there.

So it makes no sence in any shape or form what so ever, besides pissing people off, yet again.

Maby that's their business plan?

• Upvote 1

Maby you don't mind paying 100$ for a 10$ game but clearly there are a lot of people who does.

That's a massive leap in logic. 

You're talking about a different country with a different economy and market.

I'll bet you pay a different amount for a gallon of milk or a pair of jeans too. 

http://histrf.ru/ru/rvio/rvio/English

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_Culture_%28Russia%29

Funny.

Extreme one...

how about this thought.

expensive licences, sold to... rich customers in rich countries can help fuel the programming.

and once the release stage is met, a cheap version gets thrown on the russian market [ONLY]

that Puts the rich kids from outside russia off.

but is this flight sim intended for the rich kids outside russia at all?

who is the target audience? Is this sim for Simming...only?

opening the Mind and understanding the people behind these kinds of products and reading the current news can lead to interesting conclusions.

Again, my friend: same rules for all is THE ONY WAY to go

Edited by ST_ami7b5

I don't think the OP is a "real" user either. It's another one of the faux "new guy" complaining SPAM posts. Watch it get justifiably deleted.

Ohhh, ..... you all forgotten for the upprize you have your "lifelong" foundersbadge..... :P

....what a fuzz! Future is now! :salute:

Yours

v.Greiff

Look everyone, the conspiracy to screw us reaches every single thing the Russians buy!

It's not just games - it's worse than you even thought. They pay half of what I do for a dozen eggs!

Fight people - FIGHT for the same rules for everyone with eggs, and milk...and McDonalds...and games!!

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Russia

Now I'm retroactively pissed off that I paid the same price for my 486 25 years ago that I paid for my new PC.

+1

2 planes for $12? sounds good (you grind for the other 6)

8 planes for $60? sounds good (no unlock or grinding)

10 planes for $100? sounds..OK. (no unlock or grinding)

the above universally applied would be agreeable to all I believe, but the current arrangement is lopsided, we spend $60 for 8 planes and still have to grind while the $12 version only requires grinding to receive what we paid cash for, THAT is the problem! this has nothing to do with exchange rates or the prosperous or lack there of of different economies.

• Upvote 3

Wow that's desperate. It's that really all you've got left?

lol

You have become my new favourite.

Thank you.

It's happened before on here. How does a "new" player to this game know (or care) about its Russian price strategy?

the above universally applied would be agreeable to all I believe, but the current arrangement is lopsided, we spend $60 for 8 planes and still have to grind while the $12 version only requires grinding to receive what we paid cash for, THAT is the problem! this has nothing to do with exchange rates or the prosperous or lack there of of different economies.

That sounds more sensible and thought out - but I still can't get worked up over what some guy in Russia paid and has to unlock, or doesn't have to unlock.

I can come closer to seeing how someone else might have a problem with it though. Still -  WAY below my personal threshold for an adversity or cause for anger

or resentment. Nobody should be unlocking anything at any price.

Its really not that hard to understand is it?

Not everyone is as smart as you.

That is why you are my favourite since some time. At least you are number two. Number one didnt show up yet :)

Define "new"

Do you mean new because s/he had only just started posting?

How long has s/he been reading?

Are you new to the way forums work?

FYI Post count or even join date cannot be used as an indication of how long someone has spent on a forum.

You're still my new favourite. ;)

Actually this person claims to have been following BoS for some time. If so then they already know everything about this sim so why bother with this post? They need personal assurance from the developers before they'll open their wallet for $59.00? Considering they also state they own $2,000 of flight sim equipment that seems a bit odd. It's not like there are any other WWII combat sims actively being developed so why all the angst?

This us vs. them crap on this website really wears thin after a while.

Exactly.  If this were the case I would buy the $100 package right now, even though I'm working at how to free up cash for a computer upgrade that would allow me to play it.

Flight simulation is an expensive hobby, that is a given, so why make it even more difficult by requiring the folks that pay to grind out content?   It's just senseless on the face of it.

Edited by ElAurens

That may or may not be possible depending on whether or not other members get this thread closed with snarky sarcastic comments that lend nothing to the discussion and only encourage others to do likewise, which of course will get the thread closed. We shall see.

Hello Bearcat,

One thing still remains after all those debates...

... We still don't know WHY 777 made the choice of having the unlock system. What is so important for 777 to have such a system in a high end sim, knowing it would 

upset many hardcore players.

We still dont know WHY we can't have custom  graphic settings as all other modern games do. 

Maybe if we could have a hint of what good its doing for the sim and its future development, we would be more patient and positive about those issues.

Just a tought.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Rjel. This Us vs Them stuff is indeed extremely tiresome.

The thread remains open, although I think everything worth saying on either side (plus the LSD tangent?) has been said, many many times already.

Do not engage in pointless arguments, insults, name calling etc.

PS I'll be going through to tidy up some offensive language later today.

Guys!..it turns out a big mac costs less in Moscow...that's the final straw!!!

It's a conspiracy!...I'm getting my tinfoil hat out of the cupboard!

• Upvote 2

I agree with Rjel. This Us vs Them stuff is indeed extremely tiresome.

The thread remains open, although I think everything worth saying on either side (plus the LSD tangent?) has been said, many many times already.

Do not engage in pointless arguments, insults, name calling etc.

PS I'll be going through to tidy up some offensive language later today.

Pls, delete everything EXCEPT the LSD tangent. That was finally going somewhere interesting.

lsd.jpg

So far this topic has generated a vigorous discussion and perhaps will jolt or annoy someone in the company to address the community's concerns. However, it is obvious that I have failed to present some of my arguments in a manner that some critics can understand.  It is in the spirit of an open and frank dialog that I offer the simplified points below: :)

"Deeply insulted"!? Over a $95 game, says the guy with $2,000 worth of flight sim equipment. Jeesh...

I am an overly sensitive cheapskate who is easily offended by stupidity, sorry. :P  

I don't think the OP is a "real" user either. It's another one of the faux "new guy" complaining SPAM posts. Watch it get justifiably deleted.

Please be assured that I am " another one of the faux real "new guy" complaining" about issues I feel are of concern to the members of this forum and that I am eagerly waiting for the justifiably deletion! :rolleyes:

It's happened before on here. How does a "new" player to this game know (or care) about its Russian price strategy?

By reading the postings on this forum over a period of time with the idea that I am not the only expert contributing to the discussion. :huh:

Actually this person claims to have been following BoS for some time. If so then they already know everything about this sim so why bother with this post? They need personal assurance from the developers before they'll open their wallet for $59.00? Considering they also state they own $2,000 of flight sim equipment that seems a bit odd. It's not like there are any other WWII combat sims actively being developed so why all the angst?

Unfortunately, I felt that my questions were as valid and important as your opinions. Obviously this is a false interpretation on my part and I deeply apologize. Please feel free to continue to avoid the topic under discussion by posting your opinions. :wacko:

• Upvote 4

Just counted my RoF $ and it was 330$ in planes, mods, maps and weaps.. and I've spent just a little time on it, compared to other sims/games, I don't even have it installed at the moment (same as BoS) But don't feel ripped off on RoF at all

Same rules for all

It's no different than items like the price of gasoline being different, based on geographical factors like proximity to major highways, per capita of the region, etc. In other words, that's capitalism. 

Rly? LOL

Either you don't understand why goods would be priced differently in different regions, or you're just being deliberately obstinate. I think I know what the answer to that is.

It's no different than items like the price of gasoline being different, based on geographical factors like proximity to major highways, per capita of the region, etc. In other words, that's capitalism. 

Either you don't understand why goods would be priced differently in different regions, or you're just being deliberately obstinate. I think I know what the answer to that is.

Yep, and yep.

I am getting sick of this same threads over and over again. If someone wants to skip the best WW2 sim in many aspects just because of two hours unlocking (to get all vital stuff for MP), he should just go play something else, but please stop spamming the forum.

What is your agenda?

Note that this poster has under 10 posts. Now whether or not this poster is a recycled old timer or a legitimate new poster is not for me to question or second guess. That this poster has the right, particularly being a new poster.. one who has not beaten these boards to death with this issue already, to ask these questions, especially in the maner in which he has done so, is why this thread is open.. for now.

I don't question your intentions with this thread, nor your right to start it. 

However conversations have been raging on all these topics ad nauseam.

"search' goes a long way sometimes.

Yes they have.

Hello Bearcat,

One thing still remains after all those debates...

... We still don't know WHY 777 made the choice of having the unlock system. What is so important for 777 to have such a system in a high end sim, knowing it would 

upset many hardcore players.

We still dont know WHY we can't have custom  graphic settings as all other modern games do. 

Maybe if we could have a hint of what good its doing for the sim and its future development, we would be more patient and positive about those issues.

Just a tought.

I would like to know that as well. But as of this date nothing has been said. it is what it is. Perhaps it will be addressed perhaps not.. I do not know.

So far this topic has generated a vigorous discussion and perhaps will jolt or annoy someone in the company to address the community's concerns. However, it is obvious that I have failed to present some of my arguments in a manner that some critics can understand.  It is in the spirit of an open and frank dialog that I offer the simplified points below: :)

I am an overly sensitive cheapskate who is easily offended by stupidity, sorry. :P  

Please be assured that I am " another one of the faux real "new guy" complaining" about issues I feel are of concern to the members of this forum and that I am eagerly waiting for the justifiably deletion! :rolleyes:

By reading the postings on this forum over a period of time with the idea that I am not the only expert contributing to the discussion. :huh:

Unfortunately, I felt that my questions were as valid and important as your opinions. Obviously this is a false interpretation on my part and I deeply apologize. Please feel free to continue to avoid the topic under discussion by posting your opinions. :wacko:

Bear in mind that this vigorous "discussion" is not new and usually concludes in locked thread. This exact same line of thought has been expressed in doxens of ways and by dozens of members hence some of the responses from so many folks. The only reason this thread is being allowed to stand for the moment is because you are a new member. Had you been one of the same old folks going on it would have been locked by post 3.

Just counted my RoF $ and it was 330$ in planes, mods, maps and weaps.. and I've spent just a little time on it, compared to other sims/games, I don't even have it installed at the moment (same as BoS) But don't feel ripped off on RoF at all

My total RoF spending was $120. I have most of the single engine fighters, both the Channel map and the St. Michel map..

Per capita GDP in the USA $53,000

Per capita GDP in Russia $24,000

So why do you think the game should be priced the same for both markets?

Per capita GDP in Colombia $4376

so why dont i get a 2 dollar version of the game??

• Upvote 1