Arfsix

Open Letter to Devs

I recently reviewed my account at Rise of Flight and discovered that since September 2009, I have spent $385 US on aircraft, weapons, and other downloaded content. I was surprised at the amount because it means that including computer, flight controls, TrackIR and other add-ons, I have spent over $2000 US to play Rise of Flight. I am well satisfied with the value and enjoyment I have received. This is not to brag, but to show that I will spend money on something I enjoy.

I have been following Battle of Stalingrad closely and with great anticipation since it was announced. I did not pre-order because of bad experiences and problems with the introduction of Cliffs of Dover. I was prepared to purchase BoS at it's release earlier this month. Unfortunately, the changes made by the company and forced upon the customers have caused me to reconsider. 

1. Presets on display settings are fine but I would like to be able to override them.

2. When I pay for content, I want it available as soon as my money is paid to the company. Unlocks add nothing to the game.

3. I am deeply insulted that the company feels it can charge me a premium for BoS and then sell the same content for 1/3rd of the price to others and think I am too stupid to notice.

As for other issues (poor campaign, lack of third party skins, etc.) I feel that BoS is a work in progress and most of these items will be addressed eventually. However, until my concerns are met and the company stops treating its' customers like idiots, I am afraid I will have to decline to purchase what has the potential of being an extremely fine simulator.

P.S.  The capitalistic system works best with satisfied customers. ;)

• Upvote 20

Well, that is exactly my situation Arfsix...I have bought almost everything that exist in terms of WWII sims since ..well...long enough.

IMHO, since we don't have a clue WHY unlocks are so important for 777, and all the above things mentionned in your post, it is hard

to understand where this sim is going. And Oculus ? WT has it...

Anyway, I am still waiting to see what 777 is ready, and willing to do to make some of  us jump in....

Fingers crossed...

I understand your point as do the developers but this has been a molten topic on these boards over the past few weeks. I am not trying to censor you or shut you down but the devs are very aware of your sentiments and they are shared by a majority of folks here.

I understand your point as do the developers but this has been a molten topic on these boards over the past few weeks. I am not trying to censor you or shut you down but the devs are very aware of your sentiments and they are shared by a majority of folks here.

Bearcat

I appreciate your position and am aware of the many opinions offered on each side of the topic. I am trying to generate discussion of these points in order to understand what is going on with the company's decisions.

Perhaps a factual statement from the company as to  why they have adopted these unfavorable positions would help everyone understand the company's policies. Thank you. :huh:

• Upvote 2

3. I am deeply insulted that the company feels it can charge me a premium for BoS and then sell the same content for 1/3rd of the price to others and think I am too stupid to notice.

I guess I missed that one.  Can you elaborate for those of us who don't know what you are referring to?  Is this in reference to the CD version?

Hope you're wearing your hardhats and flame proof suits guys because the BoS Defence League are on their way, and boy are they gonna let you know you're wrong ...

Ah the irony of you being the first to derail the thread :)

• Upvote 6

Bearcat

I appreciate your position and am aware of the many opinions offered on each side of the topic. I am trying to generate discussion of these points in order to understand what is going on with the company's decisions.

Perhaps a factual statement from the company as to why they have adopted these unfavorable positions would help everyone understand the company's policies. Thank you. :huh:

That may or may not be possible depending on whether or not other members get this thread closed with snarky sarcastic comments that lend nothing to the discussion and only encourage others to do likewise, which of course will get the thread closed. We shall see.

Hope you're wearing your hardhats and flame proof suits guys because the BoS Defence League are on their way, and boy are they gonna let you know you're wrong ...

Hey so whats happening , have i missed some thing . or is it hush * *hush** top secert stuff . lol :biggrin:

Absolutely agree with you on all points, Arfsix. I put over $400 in ROF and don't regret it. I also pre-ordered Clod and for me it worked decent, even before I upgraded my computer, but pre-ordering "Premium" BOS makes me feel like a sucker, taken for a ride.

Good for you to wait.

• Upvote 1

I guess I missed that one.  Can you elaborate for those of us who don't know what you are referring to?  Is this in reference to the CD version?

Its the Russian only version for 12 bucks i think it is, where you unlock all the rest of the content for free. Except for La and Fw.

• Upvote 1

Its the Russian only version for 12 bucks i think it is, where you unlock all the rest of the content for free. Except for La and Fw.

Russian only......for now.

Originally published in the following topic:

As Founders, Have we served our Purpose ?

Trupobaw

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:04

I don't believe 1cg has a single agenda at this moment, or direction, except maybe agreeing to disagree; there seem to be different, not fully compatibile visions. Notice that Jason said that 500 rubel version was not his call - so at least when Russian market is concerned, other people can bypass him.

IIRC BoS was developed in partnership with some Russian institutions, including a Russian society promoting military history? I suspect the cheap, accessible version for Russian market may be ordered by them, to promote awareness of Stalingrad battle in Russia or something to that tune. If some partner in Russia wants Russians to play that game, I wouldn't be surprised if 1cg was given a compensation on top of each 12$ they officially sell a copy for. It's thanks to such a deal that we can buy Ilya Muromets for 20$, right?

So, back on OPs question, I believe answer varies depending on whom in 1cg you ask.

Treading on thin ice here...

Superghostboy

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:35

Here you have the answer:

Steam version is available in a complete set of "Standard" and "Premium" for the price of 1999 and 3699 rubles, respectively. Note that in Russia will also be released a special "Starter" edition in Jewel-box at a price 499 rubles.

[source]http://www.igromania..._Stalingrad.htm

They could release a special "Starter" edition in Jewel-box here, too.

Bearcat

Perhaps a factual statement from the company as to  why they have adopted these unfavorable positions would help everyone understand the company's policies. Thank you. :huh:

They have been asked over and over and there is still no answer... although it is said an update will be made known in December. Here's hoping!

The "Jewl-box" "Start" version came with two planes: ~6$ each  (maybe because the "underdog" LaGG-3).  :biggrin:

"Standard" come with 8 planes = ~7,50$ each.

"Premium" come with 10 planes = 10,00$ each.

Not bad. ;) The real difference is that "Start" edition come with the fun to be able exchange XP for 6 new planes for free. :)

Edited by Sokol1
  • Upvote 1

That's common practice for all games for years or even decades. Just check the prices of AAA titles in Russia for instance. Titles that cost 60 EUR or whatever in Europe, cost ~20 EUR in Russia or some other parts of the world (and in that case, it's the exact same game, not something that requires unlocks like this BoS "lite" version).

Agreed on the other points though. BoS is the last 777 product for me, unless things change considerably.

I also spent a good chunk of cash on Rise of Flight, and I bought many aircraft I knew I would almost never use in order to support improvements.  But as soon as I heard that BoS would have unlocks I knew it was not for me.

To me, the real mystery of BoS is what Bearcat said above:

the devs are very aware of your sentiments and they are shared by a majority of folks here.

My guess is that it is not up to "the devs" whether or not there will be unlocks.  These open letters would be better addressed at 1C.

To hear all this is from folks on this forum and others is very sad.  This game was nothing but awesome during the testing process.  I for one don't regret a dime I spent on this sim, it's been a blast so far and continues to be.  I also spent a lot of money on ROF, I bought most of the planes and such.  I can without a doubt tell you I've spent at least twice as mush time flying BOS for a lot less money.

Yes, there are things I don't like about the way BOS has gone since it's release but this will not stop me from flying it.  However I can see why others will not take the plunge and buy it.  This is what makes it so sad.

Let's hope that someone at 777 finally sees the error of their ways with regards to some of these concerns and can regain some or all of that great vibe we had around here during the test process.

• Upvote 8

However I can see why others will not take the plunge and buy it.  This is what makes it so sad.

Let's hope that someone at 777 finally sees the error of their ways with regards to some of these concerns and can regain some or all of that great vibe we had around here during the test process.

All behold WindyCityZeke, the most correct person to ever post on this topic.

I'm hoping for the same.

The "Jewl-box" "Start" version came with two planes: ~6$ each  (maybe because the "underdog" LaGG-3).  :biggrin:

"Standard" come with 8 planes = ~7,50$ each.

"Premium" come with 10 planes = 10,00$ each.

Not bad. ;) The real difference is that "Start" edition come with the fun to be able exchange XP for 6 new planes for free. :)

That sounds much better :biggrin:

"Starter Edition" come with playable 8 planes                  = ~1,25$ each.

"Starter Premium Edition" come with playable 10 planes = ~5,00$ each.

Play the campaign to unlock them!

http://www.igromagaz.ru/catalog/games/igry-dlya-pk/kupit-il-2-shturmovik/il-2-shturmovik-battle-of-stalingrad-start-cd-key.php

A Jewel-box maybe comes out, too. You can buy a Key and activate it here to save some money if you want?

Edited by Superghostboy

I am getting sick of this same threads over and over again. If someone wants to skip the best WW2 sim in many aspects just because of two hours unlocking (to get all vital stuff for MP), he should just go play something else, but please stop spamming the forum.

What is your agenda ?

Edited by BlackDevil

2. When I pay for content, I want it available as soon as my money is paid to the company. Unlocks add nothing to the game.

So you hate grinding but want the cheaper version of the game which includes tons of grinding... 

• Upvote 1

I couldn't agree more with BlackDevil.

And as of now, this is the best flight sim in terms of graphics, fms (excluding dcs fm), dms, etc. People who never even played it are giving the game bad reviews. And they need to lower the price to have the game grow, not everyone is hardcore and spends 100$ on a beta. And no offense, but I hope a mod locks this, not to shut critics up, but another thread with 150 replies about unlocks is getting very old and repetitive.

.. look at the bright side, the first custom created campaign was released!

Seems simple to me everyone knew what they were buying in early release so you decided to spend the money then.

If you can't stand the sim now move along like you would with any other game you bought.

If  you would like to see the release when its better come back in 6 months (all seem to have forgot how long it took the original to mature)

I'm trying to enjoy what we have and trying to wait for whats to come. This ranting about all thats bad is very tiring

Petrosky

Bearcat

I don't question your intentions with this thread, nor your right to start it. 

However conversations have been raging on all these topics ad nauseam.

"search' goes a long way sometimes.

It's not that they think you're too stupid to notice, it's that they think you're smart enough to understand capitalism.

• Upvote 1

Ok. So the idea may be that in the long term the 500 rubel version is projected to earn more in sales than the premium, therefore the unlock XP system required for it to work must stay in place.

If you hate this game so much why are you still here?

So you hate grinding but want the cheaper version of the game which includes tons of grinding... 

Expensive Version includes tons of grinding, too.

The difference between this both version is only the price and 6 planes now or later through the campaign. To get the Field mods or Skins I need to go through the campaign with both version. Thats the point!

• Upvote 1

You can buy IL-2 BOS for 500 rubles from Russian shop.

500 RUB[/size]  = [/size] 9,95 USD[/size]

Per capita GDP in the USA $53,000

Per capita GDP in Russia $24,000

So why do you think the game should be priced the same for both markets?

• Upvote 2

But as soon as I heard that BoS would have unlocks I knew it was not for me.

So you didn't buy the game? Just come over here to make negative posts? That doesn't help anyone.

Per capita GDP in the USA $53,000

Per capita GDP in Russia $24,000

So why do you think the game should be priced the same for both markets?

I certainly don't make that per capita.

So why do you think it should be priced differently?

For two planes and no further aircraft unlocks? Maybe that would be acceptable... Otherwise, it's the same anti-consumer behavior we've been seeing.

If you hate this game so much why are you still here?

So you didn't buy the game? Just come over here to make negative posts? That doesn't help anyone.

I get all giddy when people prove the point of a statement on their own. E_O is very much correct on this one.

Seems simple to me everyone knew what they were buying in early release so you decided to spend the money then.

If you can't stand the sim now move along like you would with any other game you bought.

If  you would like to see the release when its better come back in 6 months (all seem to have forgot how long it took the original to mature)

I'm trying to enjoy what we have and trying to wait for whats to come. This ranting about all thats bad is very tiring

Petrosky

So is being told to wait. It is not my fault at all that 777/1CGS decided to release their game before it was "matured."

Edited by FalkeEins

I don't care how much the game sells for in Russia,

Yep - it would never occur to me to spend a moment thinking about it.

"Deeply insulted"!? Over a $95 game, says the guy with $2,000 worth of flight sim equipment. Jeesh...

• Upvote 1

$100  vs $12 no prob.

It isn't.

What do I care what some guy in Russia pays for the game? How does that affect my life?

Don't get me wrong, I can see why someone might go "wait a minute"....but that's as far as it would get with me.

Its' beyond my control, it doesn't, affect how my game runs. Just too many other things going in in actual 'life' for me to devote any energy to it.

That's just me - I'm not calling you wrong for feeling otherwise.

It isn't.

What do I care what some guy in Russia pays for the game? How does that affect my life?

Don't get me wrong, I can see why someone might go "wait a minute"....but that's as far as it would get with me.

Its' beyond my control, it doesn't, affect how my game runs. Just too many other things going in in actual 'life' for me to devote any energy to it.

That's just me - I'm not calling you wrong for feeling otherwise.

So, everything is ok.