Last fights of the Hurribomber in the ETO?

Diggun

Does anyone have any good information as to how long the Hurribomber soldiered on as a ground attack aircraft in the ETO? I'm finding it hard to get any concrete information on the subject. I'm sure I read something about them being used for ground attack in Europe by the RAF as late as 1944 (which is a pretty horrifying prospect!). Who were the last Squadrons to use the Hurricane in this way on the Western Front? I assume that after D-Day 2TAF only bought the more up to date aircraft over to the continent...

1 minute ago, CountZero said:

Mk IV were used by no.6 squadron up until end of war in Italy and Balkans

That's great, thanks, but I'm wondering more specifically about Western Europe... 

sevenless
33 minutes ago, Diggun said:

That's great, thanks, but I'm wondering more specifically about Western Europe... 

See Chapter III, pages 128 ff of Goodersons excellent PhD paper. End of 1942 ended the usage of Hurris in the ground attack role with the introduction of the Typhoon.

image.png.ce93a17160a03b0222eb6d4aa92951de.png

338168.pdf (kcl.ac.uk)

• Thanks 2

@sevenless, what a fantastic read.

I challenge anyone here to score hits with Hurricane bombs released 'from a 65/70 degree dive from between 12,000-5000 ft'!

Hello,

I recently read Pierre Clostermann's The Big Show - there is a chapter in it detailing December 1943 'No-ball' raids against the V-1 rocket launch sites in northern France.

His squadron flying Spitfires are tasked to cover low-flying Hurricanes armed with rockets, sadly not many of them get through due to slow speed and being weighed down by ordnance. 

Hope that is of interest.

• Like 1

@Mo74 THAT'S where I'd read it, amazing. typical Clostermann confusion though with the Dec 43 date conflicting with the end of '42 retirement date referenced in the Gooderson thesis...

I hadn't thought of that Diggun! A quick online check says first V1 raids happened in summer 1944, while the Clostermann chapter references the Hurricane attacks were to prevent these sites from being finished. 

So perhaps December 1943 still fits? I had no idea Clostermann might be getting mixed up with dates etc!

VBF-12_KW
4 hours ago, Diggun said:

Does anyone have any good information as to how long the Hurribomber soldiered on as a ground attack aircraft in the ETO? I'm finding it hard to get any concrete information on the subject. I'm sure I read something about them being used for ground attack in Europe by the RAF as late as 1944 (which is a pretty horrifying prospect!). Who were the last Squadrons to use the Hurricane in this way on the Western Front? I assume that after D-Day 2TAF only bought the more up to date aircraft over to the continent...

On January 6th 1944, 184 squadron had 2 Hurricane IVs shot down by flak over Le Touquet and a third crash landed at Lympne.  They were reportedly conducting a Rhubarb attacking noball sites.  As far as I can tell they had started the process of converting to Typhoons towards the end of 1943 and this was probably one of their last, if not the last Hurricane operation.

Info from “Royal Air Force Fighter Command Losses of the Second World War Vol 3” by Norman Franks.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Yes, by the spring of 1944, all of the Hurricanes were gone from 2nd Tactical Air Force, so any raids in January would have been at the end of the line for them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Diggun said:

typical Clostermann confusion though with the Dec 43 date conflicting with the end of '42

V1 launch sites as the target kind of put "the end of '42" out of the picture though, no?

===========================

I have an original version of Clostermann's wonderful book and I often felt sad that he was berated by people for his effort. Much of this nit picking of what were his combat diaries came about after the release of his unabridged edition that he published not long before he died, That version had info that seemed to be so contentious to some to the point that he left it unpublished so long.

• Like 1

sevenless
7 hours ago, Diggun said:

@Mo74 THAT'S where I'd read it, amazing. typical Clostermann confusion though with the Dec 43 date conflicting with the end of '42 retirement date referenced in the Gooderson thesis...

I don´t think it is necessarily a confusion of Clostermann or a contrast with Goodersons thesis. He says starting in 1943 the Typhoon took over this role, so that doesn´t exclude that there was a period of transition, which obviously seems to have been the case until end of 1943 the last squadrons switched to the Typhoon.

image.thumb.png.f4d8a8d77dafa7a86aa51bb989e12ba1.png

Edited by sevenless
  • Like 1

I just think if I was flying ground attack in hurricanes in the eto at the end of '43 I would be livid. 

3 hours ago, Diggun said:

I just think if I was flying ground attack in hurricanes in the eto at the end of '43 I would be livid. 

And rightly so, which is why and I've said this before a few times at least, we could do with a Battle of Dieppe scenario ;)

This would open the door to a few earlier types and pave the way to post BoB & pre D-Day cross Channel missions that have been so sorely lacking in just about any previous combat sims that attempted to cover the air war in Europe during WW2, that I can think of.

So much scope for additional aircraft and the missions they flew, and the map will already be in place...

or, if having the Dutch airfields that the Luftwaffe bombers operated from was deemed essential... a new map covering a swath a bit further north than the D-Day map could be made using part of that and part of the BoDP map and some new parts of the UK although that'd be as unlikely as a B-17 just to bomb Abbeville.

Apart from the Hurri-bomber and the Spit VB that we already have, these were all involved in the Dieppe raid;

Bf-109G-1

Fw-190A-1

Do-217

early Spit IX

Mustang I

Car door Tiffie

Blenheim

Beufighter

B-17   E I think?,  not that it matters much as it probably wouldn't make a BOX line up.

and possibly other types I have missed. Luftwaffe is looking out numbered here, but they really didn't operate as many types during the battle as the RAF & USAAC did at least off the top of the head.

At any rate there is plenty of scope for a decent BOX title out of Dieppe...at least I think there is.

Edited by Pict

JV69badatflyski

Hi, 
Hurris were used till very late in the war, 
nevertheless, check this exell  with aircraft type used by squadron.
Got it from the web, don't know where from :dash:..it's been a long time ago...
It's not very precise as it's done by 4 months periods but it gives a nice overview.
cheers
:drinks:

Edited by JV69badatflyski