Your favorite aircraft? And what do you live about it?

Voyager

Voyager

Had another wild flight in the Bristol last night. Absolutely love that plane, and got to wondering, what are other people's favorites, and why? 

For me, it's the pure bull-headedness of the Biff. Everything about that plane seems to demand going absolutely ham. The controls may not be well harmonized, but it's is quite willing to let the rudder do the work, and it has enough speed and acceleration that it can still chose to disengage from the few fighters it really can't furbal with. Even against the D.VIIF I still feel like I've got options.

So what are you all's favorites, and what makes them enjoyable for you? 

J5_Daedallus

S!

My favourite aircraft we have in Flying Circus is ......the beautiful looking Albatros. :fly:

For me it's the 1st fighter that looks like its a fighter, unfortunately it looks a lot faster than it is 😞 so disengaging from a fight is a rare occurrence. In an Albatros, once you've sat at the table, you have to stay until the bill is paid.

It's my favourite plane because I have always preferred to be the underdog in situations (especially football teams), because success gives you a much more intense feeling. In the Albatros no one expects you to win a fight or even last long enough to fight without your wings falling off, so just surviving a furball is a plus.

Although I have to admit, I have been unfaithful with the Fokker DVIII from time to time when speed was important. 😁

cheers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Voyager
1 hour ago, US213_Talbot said:

Anything but a SPAD. Ugh.

The SPAD is an interesting beast. It's not my cup of tea, but it is striking just how much it seems to have set the tone for every USAAF fighter since, through, possibly the 70's.

It just has so much of that classic WWII American Iron feel to it, I can't help but think that that much have been the plane that started it all. 

• Like 1

76SQN-Brazo

My favourite is the Bristol because the rear gunner has my back, it’s quite tanky, can take a lot of damage and plenty of bomb options. 

My most flown by far is the camel but you only have to look at it the wrong way for the wings to fall off or the control wires to fail. 

• Upvote 1

RNAS10_Oliver

Camel.

As for the reason. It’s the sole one we have (for the moment) that was in frontline use by the Royal Naval Air Service. And the planes not too bad either. 😁

The main downside to the Camel is the damage modelling for control systems. And that we do not also have the BR1 engine available. 😉

• Upvote 4

ST_Catchov

The Camel definitely .... (she is such a delicate flower forever losing her petticoats and all sense of control). But she remains a lady (even unclad) with a big pair of bristols up front.

.... but only because the Se5a Viper doesn't perform like a Se5a Viper. :( This macho machine seems to have prostate problems. No mojo.

• Haha 1

Feathered_IV

Camel for me too.  Even if the wings fall off and the controls always break.  Even with the truly bizarre method of spin recovery.  Despite all that it’s still the one I love the most. 

Cynic_Al
45 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Camel for me too.  Even if the wings fall off and the controls always break.  Even with the truly bizarre method of spin recovery.

The Camel's wings have never struck me as unusually vulnerable, but what is bizarre about the spin recovery?

Feathered_IV
20 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

but what is bizarre about the spin recovery?

The real life method of throttling back, pushing the nose down and applying opposite rudder does not work.  Instead one must do the opposite and pull the stick right back (a big no-no) to stop the spin then shove the stick forward with neutral rudder to do a dive.  Its the opposite of real life.  Still love the Camel though.

ST_Catchov
54 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

The Camel's wings have never struck me as unusually vulnerable, but what is bizarre about the spin recovery?

I'd class this as a two correctable mistakes in one sentence.

Cynic_Al
47 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

The real life method of throttling back, pushing the nose down and applying opposite rudder does not work.  Instead one must do the opposite and pull the stick right back (a big no-no) to stop the spin then shove the stick forward with neutral rudder to do a dive.  Its the opposite of real life.  Still love the Camel though.

Strictly speaking the method you describe can work, but requires critical timing and I wouldn't rely on it.  Unlike RoF, the FC Camel self-recovers from power-on right-hand spins and I can see a rationale for that, while the left spin recovery follows that of many other planes in the game(s), so even if not technically correct, I wouldn't single it out as particularly bizarre.

US93_Larner

Pre-DM I'd say Spad / Alb. 

Spad is incredibly satisfying to score kills in once you know how to fly her (also great fun to just meme around and dogfight in), and it's always fun getting scrappy in an Alb. 

Voyager
3 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

There are a lot of different potential spin recovery patterns, some of the very counter intuitive. The F3F, for example required inverted control inputs to recover from spins. That killed a lot of pilots before it got figured out.

The thing is, modern aircraft are certified by regulatory bodies, and their spin characteristics are part of what is assessed, so, unless there is an absolute critical reason, aircraft with psychotic spin characteristics will not be approved as safe for flight. 

The Camel was well before any of that. 

The Camel's spin behavior is very characteristic of relaxed stability aircraft. The F-16, for example, requires the pilot to use alternating nose up/nose down inputs to actively accentuate the nose bob in order to get the nose below the horizon. 

I also recall reading that SPAD XIIV replicas also have cog problems, and require permanent ballast to be flight legal. I have not looked into Camels, but I'd expect they also require modifications in order to be legal to fly. 

So, it is not that that is an unrealistic spin recovery method, rather if you built a plane that spun like that today, the FAA would show up with a woodchipper, feed your plane into it, and send you a bill for the privilege. 

Cynic_Al

Pfalz D.IIIa:  I live the fact that it's a Camel-worrier, even though it should not be.

• Upvote 1

My favorite airplane is the Camel, despite the wingshedding and control jamming.  With regard to the spin recovery issues, real Camel pilots said to recover, you needed to shut off the engine, push the nose down and apply opposite rudder, so what we have currently is incorrect.

• Upvote 1

76SQN-Brazo

@Cynic_AlIt only worries this camel jockey as he has to go back to base to reload in between shooting one down and the trip back is perilous when your out of ammo😜

Edited by 76SQN-Brazo

RNAS10_Oliver
18 minutes ago, Miners said:

My favorite airplane is the Camel, despite the wingshedding and control jamming.  With regard to the spin recovery issues, real Camel pilots said to recover, you needed to shut off the engine, push the nose down and apply opposite rudder, so what we have currently is incorrect.

See that’s what I do atm. And seems to work well enough. Though I do not shut down, instead am using the blip and reduced throttle.

28 minutes ago, Oliver88 said:

See that’s what I do atm. And seems to work well enough. Though I do not shut down, instead am using the blip and reduced throttle.

Do you use aileron to help you recover?  I’ve found that this works in some spins but not in most developed spins.

RNAS10_Oliver
12 minutes ago, Miners said:

Do you use aileron to help you recover?  I’ve found that this works in some spins but not in most developed spins.

Yeh into the spin. I’m just doing an standard idle power, stick forward and into, rudder against deal. And works for me. That is unless I’m injured or the damage modelling for control systems prevents me doing so.

Maybe some parts are not needed or there are better ways sure. But the experiences from others that this does not work goes contrary to mine. That’s all.

From what I have read, you shouldn’t need to apply aileron into the spin in the Camel; in many airplanes, it just complicates things.  The primitive type of ailerons on the Camel should have little or no effect in a stall since the whole wing is stalled, making them not work.  This messed-up spin recovery can be seen on many airplanes in FC, including the Albatros, which was described as having a normal spin recovery technique.

Cynic_Al
On 7/16/2021 at 4:57 PM, 76SQN-Brazo said:

@Cynic_AlIt only worries this camel jockey as he has to go back to base to reload in between shooting one down and the trip back is perilous when your out of ammo😜

Work on your marksmanship.

ST_Catchov
On 7/17/2021 at 4:15 AM, Miners said:

This messed-up spin recovery can be seen on many airplanes in FC

It's just plane weird. Despite AnP and the flight model team priding themselves on accuracy with all sorts of aeronautical theorems, mathematical calculations and logarithmic witchcraft, spin recovery is buggered. It's either contemporary gaming computers just can't handle the truth or anecdotal evidence should be considered and programmed accordingly and throw the other stuff out the window. 

• Upvote 1

76SQN-Bulldog

No Se5A love here?

She's fast and looks great to me. Not a turner, however and a dogfighter, but damned good for hit and run tactics.

Bulldog

VeltroRoF
4 hours ago, 76SQN-Bulldog said:

No Se5A love here?

She's fast and looks great to me. Not a turner, however and a dogfighter, but damned good for hit and run tactics.

Bulldog

Yes, of course there is. I love flying the SE5a, but it is just because because the engine sound soothes my overactive brain.

Todt_Von_Oben

I have flown the Dr.1 against some of the best Camel jockeys online and always admired the performance they were able to get out of it. 

So, lately I'm into the Camel.  Once her quirks are figured out, she's an amazing dogfighter; in some ways better than the triplane.  I like it.  

ADDIT:  Now that I figured out the stall / spin problem, I'm deliberately flying it rough; but i usually overspeed the engine before breaking a wing.  And for the most part, the wings are only coming off when there's damage.  

What's killing me now are bots that shoot like Carlos Hathcock.  And that's okay.  The better the bot, the more bang for the buck.  

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben

kotori87

I've flown all of the FC1 planes in online multiplayer, in both high-altitude dogfights and on-the-deck scrums. My favorite is the SE5a for its strength as a team-fighter. On its own, you can only boom-and-zoom, and it is vulnerable to prop-hanging by Central pilots. In a group, however, they are incredibly robust machines. Better visibility than the SPAD, and more likely to survive damage too. Firepower is a bit lacking, but I enjoy the upward-firing overwing gun. It has earned me many kills on unsuspecting D7f's and recon Halbies. I also pack a m1911 onboard, and I routinely hit other planes with it when I accidentally overshoot.

J2_Trupobaw
On 7/19/2021 at 1:47 PM, 76SQN-Bulldog said:

No Se5A love here?

Bulldog

She's my favourite Entnete plane for surviving the fight, assisting my mates in scoring kills, then returning home despite all the damage and landing with pilot alive. For shooting things myself, less so; the guns arrangement does not agree with me at all.

She was my chosen Entente ground attack plane thanks to robustness, but when attacking MG-sized target it's well possible for Lewis burst to hit long and Vickers to hit short of target in same salvo. There may be advantage in that, if pilot can aim and fire both guns separately, and may be of little consequence if spray and pray and wait for wings to break is your thing, but for me it's at most one gun firing where I want it to.

76SQN-Bulldog

Yes, and I agree. When I am with No. 76, I feel as if the squadron can do wonders, despite the Se5A's limitations. But she can scrap. On my own, I pick my fights carefully and look above, and then dive down to engage. For some reason, I find the Lewis and .303 to be in perfect harmony and I like to fire close. When in trouble, I can get shallow dive and get out of there. I always try to keep 3,000 feet minimum so I can disengage due to crafty Huns. 

See you guys hopefully on Thursday evening!

S!

Bulldog

• Like 2

[F.Circus]MoerasGrizzly

Albatros DiVa. It just seems very reliable in my hands.

ACG_Talisman

Camel, because Biggles of 266 Squadron flew it. 

However, just sneeze at the flight controls and they are damaged in Flying Circus :(  I find that the Hun will constantly, with total gay abandon, just spray and pray with their guns and get their prayers answered more often than not by instantly damaging Camel flight controls.  Just crazy!

Biggles of 266: JOHNS, W. E.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by ACG_Talisman
  • Like 1

[F.Circus]Gorn_Captain

I suppose if you put a gun to my head it'd have to be the brisfit. Pretty, agile, sturdy and with a fair amount of bombs, what more could you want? Sure her controls jam up all the time, but she's stable enough you can fly her even if you've got nothing left at all Managed to guide mine home to a rough landing on our side of the mud the other day with nought but the adjustable stabiliser. 

I do love my dolphin, Dr1 and DViii though, and the camel, and the albatros, and the D.vii, and hell even the nieuport has its charms... Ultimately, as long as I'm not in a spad, I'm happy.