Developer Diary 281 - Discussion

Jason_Williams

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Dear Pilots!

Behold the mighty Typhoon Mk.Ib in action! Coming soon to Battle of Normandy! It is now in Beta and is scheduled for release in June. It's another beauty by our talented team. This beast is armed with 4 x 20 mm Hispano cannons and can carry multiple rockets like the RP-3 in HE and AP flavors or a pair of 250 lb. or 500 lb. bombs. The cockpit is another tubular framework popular with British designers of the period. It just looks angry with those rockets slung under the wings!

The Typhoon Mk.Ib helped pave the way for the Allied invasion of Normandy and soldiered on throughout the war pounding German ground units at every opportunity. We will feature no less than 21 Typhoon squadrons in our Normandy career with 4 of them flyable initially. 

Jason has created another special poster. This time inspired by the beautiful emblems of Typhoon equipped squadrons. These emblems were created by our artwork partner (and newly minted rocket engine engineer) Isaac "SolidKreate" Chavira. 

Read Full Developer Diary HERE.

Jason

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 3

von_Tom
Posted (edited)

Cool!

There is something very funky about the Typhoon.

von Tom

Edited by von_Tom

No145_Bunny

Very cool ! Got to love the Tiffie !!

I./ZG1_Dutchvdm

Nice! Will be Typhoon be flyable during the Bodenplatte career?

Grt M

216th_Cat

Brilliant! Looking forward to this. 👍

Rodwonder

Junkers 88 C is what I'm waiting for... Nice!!

• Like 4

namhee2

In other important news - next week, we plan to make an announcement about some additional content we plan to add to the Great Battles series, we hope you will be happy. Stay tuned!

:o::drinks:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

[CPT]HarryM

Typhoon looks awesome!

Motherbrain
Posted (edited)

004a044e1927a979dbf090ba65323894381708169d8592afbb7b70100f3e244a.jpg.db8b6e5301bce4f36960f0de578dfd51.jpg

Both the Typhoon and C6 are going to be fantastic! 

I can't wait for the C6 in particular. 

Edited by Motherbrain
  • Like 3

216th_Cat

Four big guns in Batterie Todt - they'll be making a mess of Dover. Keep well clear!

LR.Super_Marine

The Typhoon looks amazing, I can not wait to fly it👍

• Upvote 1

Barnacles

Wow!

Firstly great to see you've included the special rocket sight with I assume the ability to operate it historically by depressing the reticule 5 degrees!

Your attention to detail is admirable and one of the great things about this game!

Secondly, seeing a 15" gun firing brings back memories of battleships in the old IL2. Definitely keeping the spirit of '46 alive!

Just one thing, you mention the 250 and 500lb bombs. At some point the Typhoon was cleared for 1000lb IIRC

image.thumb.png.7af30d5fec35a240293c0d9142e29012.png

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

No_Face
Posted (edited)

@Jason_Williams , I see that you have time to create posters (which are very pretty), so would you have time to add in-game skins of the tanks that we have been waiting for over 6 months?

Edited by No_Face
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 3
  • Upvote 1

NHK295M

This additional content it is StuG?😋

• Upvote 4

Avimimus
Posted (edited)

So excited by so many parts of the work!

@Jason_Williams I just wanted to say - thanks for mentioning the Canadians. We sacrificed a lot of people at Dieppe (Operation Jubilee) which helped test the techniques used in Normandy. We spearheaded a lot of attacks after Normandy as well - particularly to secure the coastal ports and liberate the low countries. But we often don't even get mentioned.

I think the experience is similar for a lot of the other Commonwealth contributors (SAAF, ANZACs etc.). I'll also say that I'm grateful for the inclusion of Commonwealth aircraft like the Typhoon and the Mosquito - as some past sims have largely left out even the United Kingdom. We live in a sensitive time as most of the veterans are gone, and simulations like these can help spark interest in history and keep the memory alive. They also help keep connections with those who didn't survive. So - thank you.

Edited by Avimimus
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 8

ZachariasX
Posted (edited)

Yeah, Typhy! And *self destructed*. ;)

Edited by ZachariasX

sevenless

Ahh the Tiffie. Great to see that baby in june.

[DBS]Browning
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, No_Face said:

@Jason_Williams , I see that you have time to create posters (which are very pretty), so would you have time to add in-game skins of the tanks that we have been waiting for over 6 months?

This is an terrible attitude that gives everyone on the forum a bad name. 

Edited by [DBS]Browning
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 25

Callsign_NEW
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, No_Face said:

Wow! You are very polite, ain’t you? Jason is the executive producer of IL-2, not the graphical designer, so you shouldn’t ask him about these skins while being this rude.

Edited by Callsign_NEW
  • Upvote 7

LF_Gallahad

Good old Tiffie ready to rock some rockets on those Normandy positions. Lovely aircraft.

Looking neat!

RedKestrel

The Typhoon will probably replace the Jug as my default ride in Multiplayer.

Now I just have to get good at aiming rockets. 😬

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
1 minute ago, Callsign_NEW said:

Wow! You are very polite, ain’t you? Jason is the executive producer of IL-2, not the graphical designer, so you shouldn’t ask him about these skins while being this rude.

I asked for some good community skins for TC a while back so I could add some as official. Some were quite good and others not so much. There are some other issues getting in the way of me doing what I planned. All community skins are available to users though. We have ideas for a new official Skin inclusion process, but we can't build it yet. We can't keep adding so many skins to the base game as it makes it's size unmanageable internally. Not trying to exclude more TC skins as official, it just got hung up on another issue. I should have communicated this sooner. Same with massive amounts of new official airplane skins which I would like nothing more than to do. 

No reason to get heated.

Jason

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 7

=621=Samikatz

The Typhoon is my second most wanted plane of this expansion, very excited to get to fly it

Will it launch with tactical codes implemented?

Love the Tiffy and this DD has stopped me looking at the code breaking chat! 😂

All looking great roll on June 😀

Callsign_NEW
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

I asked for some good community skins for TC a while back so I could add some as official. Some were quite good and others not so much. There are some other issues getting in the way of me doing what I planned. All community skins are available to users though. We have ideas for a new official Skin inclusion process, but we can't build it yet. We can't keep adding so many skins to the base game as it makes it's size unmanageable internally. Not trying to exclude more TC skins as official, it just got hung up on another issue. I should have communicated this sooner. Same with massive amounts of new official airplane skins which I would like nothing more than to do. 

No reason to get heated.

Jason

Is that the reason why you mentioned those Official Skins Packs in another DD that you guys are planning to make? Like if you want you can download the skins separately so they don’t occupy as much storage as the already huge game files?

Edited by Callsign_NEW

Cybermat47
Just now, Furni said:

Love the Tiffy

I never would have guessed :P 

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
1 minute ago, Callsign_NEW said:

Is that the reason why you mentioned those Official Skins Packs in another DD that you guys are planning to make? Like if you want you can download the skins separately so they don’t occupy as much storage as the already huge game files?

We could do that, it's what we did for ROF, but we had another idea.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Voidhunger

in the first sceenshot, is there a new hint for what is coming?   MR?

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
11 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

The Typhoon is my second most wanted plane of this expansion, very excited to get to fly it

Will it launch with tactical codes implemented?

Applying tactical codes on all planes, including new ones, will take many months. It may launch without them.

Jason

• Like 1

ChicagoChad

Any scuttlebutt on what the new announcement might be next week?

Pacific still an option?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Callsign_NEW
2 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

We could do that, it's what we did for ROF, but we had another idea.

Jason

Can’t wait! 😁

Jaws2002
Posted (edited)

The Tiffy and ju-88  look cool.:good:

Thanks for the update in regards to the user made tank skins.

Edited by Jaws2002

itsbillyfrazier

The Typhoon looks great and the TODT Battery too.

The posters/wallpapers are also a nice touch.

Thanks Devs.

PatrickAWlson

Did the Typhoon and Tempest serve side by side in the same unit or was the change a complete conversion?

Blitzen

Sure its unstable, and it kills more pilots in training than combat, and its engine has “teething problems”, and it’s suffered high losses in ground pounding missions, and it has a tendency for its tail to fall off, BUT god help me I love this kite! I’ve stopped almost all Brit scripted missions & campaigns until the Tiffy shows up and has the Normandy map to fly & fight over...Bring both on ASAP!

( I only wish the almost-impossible-to-bail-out-of car door version was an option, after all the door works well on the P-39,don’t it just?

CF27F64E-E56E-4537-9B2E-7AE5F4E3996B.jpeg

• Like 1

Diggun
1 minute ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Did the Typhoon and Tempest serve side by side in the same unit or was the change a complete conversion?

I can't be 100% that it never happened, but mixed units of Typhoons and Tempests would be vanishingly rare and unusual. Usually a unit would be pulled out of combat to retrain on the new machines (usually for at least a couple of months, more often 3, sometimes longer).

Boomerang

Beautiful birds, looking very forward to enjoying them and the announcement next week. :) Wonder what that's all about? :) 

Barnacles
11 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I think the RAF treated them as very much distinct aircraft. The same with spit XIV and spit IX. I don't think you'd get mixy blob flights including both planes. 

• Upvote 2

• Jason_Williams unpinned this topic