Old Il2 movies

sturmkraehe
Posted (edited)

Dunno, if there is already a threat but I thought it would be nice to post some old IL2 videos (precursor to this sim) here.

I'd like to start with the clip that brought me to IL2. Without it I would not be here and for this reason it holds a special place. It is a masterpiece and after watching it I was so excited as this show-cased sim was what I was looking for for such a long time. I bought the game right after it.

Here's the link to it:

IL2 Sturmovik - Come with me - video Dailymotion

Watching it after so many years I am still mouth open how genuinely well this game was made and modelled. Sure some aspects of graphics now look outdated but still: Look at the clouds or the water, the explosions, still looking very very good. 

Edited by sturmkraehe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
palker4

ohoho I smell a shameless plug opportunity so here it goes:

• Like 1
Diggun
Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2021 at 10:45 PM, sturmkraehe said:

IL2 Sturmovik - Come with me - video Dailymotion

Cor, that's a blast from the past! There were some amazing video creators in old Il2. 

This 662 Squadron recruitment video is a classic that still stands the test of time. It is a masterclass in editing, syncing with the music, and choosing genuinely awesome shots. There's a shot about 2 minutes in showing a 190 screaming round in the mirror of a Spitfire that is just perfect, still gives me chills. It's amazing how effective adding a bit of camera shake is at conveying the sense of barely contained speed and power. Just makes you want to strap on a Spit, right?

The other master I remember from back in the day was Maximum Bob. His videos were always properly well done, works of art. The first one is a documentary / tribute to the Spitfire (again, double points for using some perfect music - 'Five' by the inimitable Lamb):

And this one is a very dashing Mosquito raid on a battleship...

Cracking stuff. We are lucky we have folk like @Lemsipand others still creating quality machinema in Great Battles; I find these kinds of explorations about what the engine is capable of, and how it can use the fantastic models & scenery in the service of storytelling to be much more interesting than the average 'HeY gUyS i gOt SomE kiLLZ ONlInE and UpLoAded It tO Ma WebZoNe' style of video'*

*there are honourable exceptions to this ofc.

On 5/16/2021 at 6:45 AM, =FI=Genosse said:

Flying for the first time

WOW! DART! He made some outstanding videos explaining gunnery which totally helped me out a lot. bahaaaa.

Edited by Diggun
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
Trooper117

I've got most of these classic IL2 videos stored on one of my hard drives somewhere... at the time they were pretty groundbreaking!

Missionbug

Beautifully made, all of them, the guy had a real talent with this stuff.:cool:

I particularly like the last, the atmosphere he creates with those ships seem almost supernatural.:drinks:

Wonder what he does nowadays, would be interesting to see what could be done with this new iteration.

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

HBPencil
Posted (edited)

A lot of Jafa's work was great, most are gone but he still has some up on YouTube. He often used them to showcase his excellent sound mods.

Edited by HBPencil
garethj2

palker4 - your fail compilation brightened up my day

Many thanks

343KKT_Kintaro

This "Fail Compilation" is a classic, yep.

Here go my favourite:

Bellum (2004):

Bellum 2 (2005):

Come with Me (2005):

Turtle Island (2005):

Spitfire (2005):

B-17 Flying Fortress (2006):

Ambush (2006):

Faith Hope and Charity (2007):

Hyperlobby: the Online Experience (2010):

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...