Jump to content

Any Il-2 1946 vets from decade ago?


Niah
 Share

Recommended Posts

JV44HeinzBar

S! all,

Cut my teeth on Microsoft Fighter Ace, Jane's WWII Fighters, European Airwar, and Microsoft Combat Simulator. As one of the admins, and principle map designer of over 200 Warclouds missions, I had a great time just trying to create new and exciting missions. I enjoyed the input from the community to make better missions. Some of the ideas were dudes, but a great number of them were very popular and exciting. Some missions, in my opinion, were classics. So much so, I see elements of Warclouds in some of the current servers today. Thanks to Sparx & Exos as the foumders of Warclouds, it was one of the first IL2 servers I flew on while using Hyperlobby. I will always remember those days with great fondness for the excitement, frustration, and community.

 

Speaking of community, I still see some of the old timers flying on various servers like CombatBox & Finnish Server. Matter of fact, I just had an old buddy contact me from the good ole days of Forgotten Skies. It was a pleasant surprise to chat with someone from 12+ years ago :)  To all the old timers that enjoyed Warclouds.... S!

 

HB

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, checking in...sometimes I'm on Finnish Server...great server..does remind me of Forgotten Skies.

 

Started with Microprose Flight Sim..through all the Lucas ones, Dynamix stuff, but finally found the nicely modeled 109 in the demo IL2 and was hooked.

Squaddy with the Greater Green folks, then the TUSA boys.

 

Not flying as much these days, but I'm still impressed with the work on this sim when I take it up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Primus_71

My first sim was Fighter Pilot on ZX Spectrum 48K (yea, I may not be the youngest one around here 😁), and since then flew pretty much any sim (air, land, sea, sub, all of'em) that were released. I've been with the Il2 series since the original release in 2001 by Oleg/UBI and been around since. Back in the day, our squadron was RFX, and I flew under the name RFX_Primus. Anyhow, IL2, IL2FB, ILFB:PF, IL2:COD, IL2:GB, all are jewels to me and I enjoy them equally, although IL2:GB is my favorite (and IMO the true successor to Oleg's vision) at this time, for it is supported very well and continues evolving beautifully. Worth every penny and more. Cheers to all involved, especially @Jason_Williams who resuscitated the series! ~S~ 

Edited by Primus_71
poor grammer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Deacon33
20 hours ago, JV44HeinzBar said:

S! all,

Cut my teeth on Microsoft Fighter Ace, Jane's WWII Fighters, European Airwar, and Microsoft Combat Simulator. As one of the admins, and principle map designer of over 200 Warclouds missions, I had a great time just trying to create new and exciting missions. I enjoyed the input from the community to make better missions. Some of the ideas were dudes, but a great number of them were very popular and exciting. Some missions, in my opinion, were classics. So much so, I see elements of Warclouds in some of the current servers today. Thanks to Sparx & Exos as the foumders of Warclouds, it was one of the first IL2 servers I flew on while using Hyperlobby. I will always remember those days with great fondness for the excitement, frustration, and community.

 

Speaking of community, I still see some of the old timers flying on various servers like CombatBox & Finnish Server. Matter of fact, I just had an old buddy contact me from the good ole days of Forgotten Skies. It was a pleasant surprise to chat with someone from 12+ years ago :)  To all the old timers that enjoyed Warclouds.... S!

 

HB

~S~ HB, long time! Trying to get workky here....it's a struggle 😂

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2021 at 10:22 AM, Uufflakke said:

I've posted the IL2:1946 Mugshot Poster before in a similar thread.

 

Here it is again but slightly edited: Forgot to add LeBillfish but she is part of the group now (right side at the bottom, with sunglasses)

 

 

IL2ForumMembers 050421.jpg

Crikey I had completly forgotten about this,but here I am,far right sixth picture down,still got the hair,but its very,very Grey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JV44HeinzBar
12 hours ago, ATAG_Deacon said:

~S~ HB, long time! Trying to get workky here....it's a struggle 😂

Yeah, I spammed him on Steam about flying with us. He says he's got BP and the p38. He may be afraid that he'll spend as much time flying Great Battles as we do now :)

 

HB

Edited by JV44HeinzBar
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2021 at 11:39 AM, Primus_71 said:

My first sim was Fighter Pilot on ZX Spectrum 48K (yea, I may not be the youngest one around here 😁), and since then flew pretty much any sim (air, land, sea, sub, all of'em)

Hi Primus,

I also started with a Sinclair....but I was still not so young at this time......

So, probably you're not the Youngest,  but are you in the Oldest   ( a fading bunch of grand-fathers being  coached by grandsons on new technologies ) 

Maybe this can open a question ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Primus_71
15 hours ago, Bonnot said:

Hi Primus,

I also started with a Sinclair....but I was still not so young at this time......

So, probably you're not the Youngest,  but are you in the Oldest   ( a fading bunch of grand-fathers being  coached by grandsons on new technologies ) 

Maybe this can open a question ?

71 is my year of birth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Monty_Thrud

All I remember are bright lights and some probing...a patch, two weeks and complaints of a bar in a FW190...:blink:

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

dd_delta7

I'm still online also flew with JG_27 for a short while, was a regular on warclouds and battlefront server. Good to see some familiar tags

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BlitzPig_EL

20040205image0016.jpg

 

The BlitzPigs, on the Kuban, oh so long ago...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

216th_Cat
23 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

20040205image0016.jpg

 

The BlitzPigs, on the Kuban, oh so long ago...

 

Great pic! Although you lot don't look quite as manic as I'd pictured you...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2021 at 4:05 PM, Primus_71 said:

71 is my year of birth

Looks i'm from a preceding generation 👨‍🦳

 

In 71 I played Miniatures wargames and fly on cardboard counters with Luftwaffe or Richtoffen  ( Avalon Hill  ??? )

Are there many gamers in this time capsule ???

Edited by Bonnot
error typing
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No_85_Gramps
1 hour ago, Bonnot said:

Looks i'm from a preceding generation 👨‍🦳

 

In 71 I played Miniatures wargames and fly on cardboard counters with Luftwaffe or Richtoffen  ( Avalon Hill  ??? )

Are there many gamers in this time capsule ???

Me, I played most of the early SPI/Avalon Hill board games. SPI's Flying Circus and Foxbat and Phantom come to mind. Of course Stratego and a miniatures civil war game, mid-to-late sixties. We've come a long way... How about this one, flip-book air combat: oldschool wwi.jpg

Edited by No_85_Gramps
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

count me too 😜

you can prove by google ->  Mission4Today deflection shooting

LoL    

I found one old video from JG 1/54 ... the memory of IL2 old hand friends :P
 

 

Edited by Karost
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

thats something i like from this comunity is quite mature

 

i dont see my self in a counterstrike forum

 

shame there are no chicks they are more sensible

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JG27*AD

Have been with JG27 since the old days.   Recruited by Aristo who has the deepest voice in creation !!!  LOL.   Spent a little time with the Rebells as 1946 wound down.  Was a admin on Warclouds server and spent a lot of time flying with/against CIA_Elanski and his friends.  (Ski, if you see this.. who was your wingman who flew P-38's against me so often?  Those were great fights !!!!!)

 

Cut my teeth in Red Baron 3D.  Was US94_Andydad.  Squad was ramrodded by Clay who taught us a lot about squadron flying and teamwork.  Hope he is still around...

 

Salute !!

AD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

QB.Rails
27 minutes ago, JG27*AD said:

Have been with JG27 since the old days.   Recruited by Aristo who has the deepest voice in creation !!!  LOL.   Spent a little time with the Rebells as 1946 wound down.  Was a admin on Warclouds server and spent a lot of time flying with/against CIA_Elanski and his friends.  (Ski, if you see this.. who was your wingman who flew P-38's against me so often?  Those were great fights !!!!!)

 

Cut my teeth in Red Baron 3D.  Was US94_Andydad.  Squad was ramrodded by Clay who taught us a lot about squadron flying and teamwork.  Hope he is still around...

 

Salute !!

AD

Don't know if he's on the forums, but they are still around. Mostly in combat box server. His wingman most nights is Luth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/5/2021 at 10:34 PM, Beebop said:

Mebackthen.jpg

Still remember one funny old day when I realized that Oleg was in Server in Mig-3, everybody like him  so all blue friends point their nose to him .... LoL 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, No_85_Gramps said:

We've come a long way... How about this one, flip-book air combat:

A long, long way,  many friends were lost en route............

I remember attempts to play-by-mail : writing a letter, stamps, postage, waiting answer  !!!!

Time ran a different speed...maybe it allowed us to grow older ???

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Bonnot said:

Looks i'm from a preceding generation 👨‍🦳

 

In 71 I played Miniatures wargames and fly on cardboard counters with Luftwaffe or Richtoffen  ( Avalon Hill  ??? )

Are there many gamers in this time capsule ???

I had the Avalon Hill Luftwaffe game, but I was a bit young and never really played it with friends.  Seemed a bit more mature at my age at the time. 
I loved the cover art and the general board artwork.  Alas my friends wanted to play Battleship instead. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sturmkraehe

Played Ace of aces, European Air war and later discovered IL2 Sturmovik - the dogfight sim I was looking for before. Flew many years with this nick, mostly on the Queensland server, later extensively on the Zeke vs Wildcat (mostly on red side) which was my favorite server. 

 

Later Rise of Flight, Cliffs of Dover and obiously BOS. 

 

Now with some years of break reverting to real life flying (spare time).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BlitzPig_EL

I do recall you on Zekes, sturmkraehe.  Welcome back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sturmkraehe
23 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I do recall you on Zekes, sturmkraehe.  Welcome back.

Hi BlitzPig,

 

nice to see you again! I remember you too! Weren't you the guy who often could be found in bombers on this crowded server?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BlitzPig_EL

Usually doing ground attack of one sort or another.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sturmkraehe

Yeah, I remembered that! I always thought wow, how daring to jump into a ground pounder on this wild server.

 

My favorite map was the midway map. I usually flew red and the plane set was pretty balanced. I have made a video clip of one of my missions on this map. I have to find a way to upload it somewhere. Maybe I'll gonna post it here when I found a good place for that.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gambit21
1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Usually doing ground attack of one sort or another.

 

Me too.

Get through, kill something, get back...no air to air kill ego boost necessary.

Same way I flew CoOps - air to air kills came when they came.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BlitzPig_EL

Say what you will about the Pigs, when we flew together we flew to win the mission.  Normally that entailed blowing stuff up on the ground, and we like blowing stuff up.

 

Be sure.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2021 at 5:35 PM, Voxman said:

I loved the cover art and the general board artwork.

There is much to say about the Art Covers of boardgames in this era....

Ace of Aces and many other attempted to create Flight Sims before the computer era,  B17 was a fine SOLO game.

I also remember of "hermaphrodits"  wich mixed monochrom computer input and cardboards or miniatures on maps ....the same for tanks or battleships probably _ i forgot ...

 

RUN 5  OSG-Games.jpg

B17  solo_Queen_of_the_Sky (1).jpg

B17  solo_Queen_of_the_Sky (2).jpg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Played the original IL2 (when online) mainly on the Battle-fields servers as Janxy, or more likely Ole Janx Spirit, back then.
Still have the original disks as well, as boxes/manuals for many others such as Falcon 4. Like others, I've enjoyed flight sims since the days of the Speccy (48k rubber keyed) and Amiga.

Not really played much online with the BoS series (got my backside handed to me last time :))...must make more time (never enough hours in a day).

Edited by Janxy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AcidBath

Back in 2005, I got custom built rig sporting an Athalon 4200+ X2 (dual core) with a high end nvidia gcard (7800 gt) and it needed something worthy to run.  So I bought Pacific Fighters without any idea about it other than all the online buzz I read about IL-2 being the best CFS available.  IL-2 PF blew my mind!  Right away showed it to some co-workers and friends, and within a couple of months Friday evenings were dedicated to multiplayer IL-2 PF missions (we all got TIRs too).  We never played on any of the big servers as a squad.  Then came IL-2 1946 (where I bought a copy or two for 'hesitant' pilots), followed by all the splendid community mod packs which we played for years.  We also got into Rise of Flight.  Wasn't until BoS came out that we dumped IL-2, mainly because our host had to have his VR.  Unfortunately, squad members have fallen off over the last few years (BoS was 'too different') and now only four of us remain.  Dang, we all really miss those carrier landings, especially when limping in with a lost control surface...ever hopeful it'll return someday.  BTW, way back when I went by "TheFamilyMan" on the old ubisoft and IL-2 dev forums.

Edited by AcidBath
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
BFsSmurfy
On 3/27/2021 at 4:27 PM, [DBS]Fusek said:

Hey Smurf, long time no see! You still flying online?

Occasionally mate, be nice to get a bunch back together. I see a few of the old boys on Steam appear every now and then, maybe a once a month get together would be possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

VA_Skill

Used hyperlobby religiously. The co-op missions players could host were stupid fun. Attacking islands and carriers in the Pacific. The WHALE whares with the russian bombers. Good days

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ringwraith_jp

Feels like another life, but yeah. Played countless hours of that online war via hyperlobby with my squadron. My memory is saying CAD war, was that it? I was actually the one that made the set up for the Berlin map to work in that system. So, if you played that online on Berlin map over a decade ago, its my pleasure 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MrMaven22

 

On 3/18/2021 at 11:23 AM, kestrel79 said:

I got a Dell Desktop in college in 2003 and was finally able to play IL2. Think I picked up Forgotten Battles with the Aces Expansion Pack in a mall game shop and played that for hours and hours each night. Pacific Fighters came a little after that, along with a bunch of other add ons that all later got rolled in '46 version.

 

I played on Warclouds, Spits vs. 109s, Zeke vs Wildcat. The latter two were my fav no icons. I used to fly in a Squadron called Vultures Row back then too.

 

Same here; you may have been my squad-mate!  Getting old sucks; my memory is not what it used to be 😂.  I started flying IL2 after the Ace Expansion Pack came out around 2002.  Flew about a year or two offline, then jumped into the online world and joined Vulture's Row (my callsign was VR_Moon).  Graduated their Cadet program and flew Full-Real regularly in Zekes-vs-Wildcats server and Spits-vs-109s on occasion.  It was a blast flying with Bombs, 2Guns, Relentov, Fungus and a host of others.

 

When the Mods came out and the community split, I went to the FS Skies-Of-Valor server and flew there for about  8-10 years with Squadron of Brothers (SOB_Maven).  Had the pleasure of flying with more great people such as SOB_Tank, AFJ_Panther, FS_Rectec and others.

 

I quit flying around 2014...  However, I purchased IL2 GB a few months ago and have been flying some offline on my 12 year old rig.  It was struggling a bit so I decided to build a new one.  Unfortunately, is has taken me all year to get my new PC built thanks to the silicon debacle.  I am finishing the configuration as I type this, so hopefully I will be able to get back in the saddle shortly...

 

Long live IL2! 

 

~S~

Edited by MrMaven22
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
69th_Panp

Hey Maven 

long time no see, Glad to see you are still around 

 

S Panp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ubik_2008

The original IL-2 of 2001 was sensational, way better than any WW2 flight sim seen before, despite a number of initial bugs ironed out later. It was probably not as atmospheric as EAW, but it represented an impressive step forward in terms of graphics above all.

IL2 and IL2 1946 as we know are radically different from the current IL2 GB. The last chapter of that saga and the one the took my fancy the most was:

 

DBW.thumb.jpg.185cd90055934feaad15b7ab456e4a40.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gambit21
2 hours ago, ubik_2008 said:

The original IL-2 of 2001 was sensational, way better than any WW2 flight sim seen before, despite a number of initial bugs ironed out later. It was probably not as atmospheric as EAW, but it represented an impressive step forward in terms of graphics above all.

IL2 and IL2 1946 as we know are radically different from the current IL2 GB. The last chapter of that saga and the one the took my fancy the most was:

 

DBW.thumb.jpg.185cd90055934feaad15b7ab456e4a40.jpg

 

I hated giving up the atmosphere and immersion of EAW for IL2. I did, begrudgingly, mainly because of graphics like you said. Of course FM’s etc were an improvement as well.

 

However in some ways EAW set a standard that has yet to be equaled - or even close to equaled in a combat flight sim. The original IL2 was a huge step forward, and a huge step backwards - same with BoS.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...